PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Portland, OR

SilverPenny
Jun 25, 2007, 05:50 PM
Where are you guys? No love for the Pacific Northwest?

I'll be in line in Tualatin, Oregon, would love to meet some fellow members.

Anonymous Freak
Jun 25, 2007, 07:08 PM
I have a friend who will be waiting at Pioneer Place Mall (there's both an Apple Store and an AT&T store there,) but I'll be waiting a few weeks before taking the plunge myself. (Although apparently the AT&T stores at Washington Square and Bridgeport Village will carry it, too. So all three Apple Store locations are good because they all have an AT&T store within a stone's throw of them, if the Apple Stores are too crowded.)

edit: He changed his mind. He's going to Bridgeport at about 4:30.

kymac
Jun 26, 2007, 12:59 AM
im not going to get one.. but i kinda want to go for the excitement! i love bridgeport maybe ill go there.

Nar1n
Jun 26, 2007, 05:15 PM
Right now I'm thinking of Pioneer Place. Since you can't wait there overnight, maybe a lot of people will be camping out at outdoor locations. And I'm sure they'll have a lot in stock.

The question is -- what time to show up? And will the mall permit people waiting in line before 6pm?

iFreQuency
Jun 26, 2007, 06:36 PM
I work at the Washington Square mall, so im thinking of going there early and being in line first if they allow it, otherwise im going to go to the bridgeport village store and be there at 6 AM sharp friday morning, and that way their is a cingular store a stones throw away just in case....im getting this ****ing iphone!

danredwing
Jun 26, 2007, 11:31 PM
Hello, I'm over on the Eastside and am thinking either the AT&T store on Broadway and MLK (near where I work)or the one near Mall 205 on Washington (5 minute walk from my house). I work on Grand ave and I'm thinking that I'm still close to a few other places if either one gets ridiculous. I am working that day and so will be skipping out around 4 to get in line...just hoping that it isn't as crazy as people think it will be!

Dano

SilverPenny
Jun 27, 2007, 04:46 PM
Ill be at bridgeport village at 5am. I'm only 17, but damn am I getting this phone.

peterlocke123
Jun 27, 2007, 05:02 PM
I have a basketball tournament on Friday, so hopefully I'll have a break between games so I can head over...otherwise...the iPhone will have to wait. Or I could send my mom and dad over...hmmmm. I'm not sure which Apple Store location I'll go to though...Washington Square is closest to my school (where the tournament is) but I like Bridgeport better. We'll see!!!

marvel2
Jun 27, 2007, 05:22 PM
What time is everyone going to wait? I'm not sure if I should take the entire day off or leave work early to go to my AT&T store.

SilverPenny
Jun 27, 2007, 05:49 PM
Take the day off man. The first iPhone will release will only happen once in your life. Take advantage of it!

Anonymous Freak
Jun 27, 2007, 06:52 PM
YEEEAAAARRRRRGH!!!!

It's a freakin' cell phone! It's not the second coming or anything! It also doesn't sound like there are going to be tons of people waiting early. Just show up a half hour or so before 6:00, and you'll be fine. If you really want to be assured, go to a standalone AT&T store instead of an Apple Store.

(I'll probably swing by the AT&T store on Barbur Blvd at 6:15, and I'll bet you there will be no line, and plenty of iPhones left.)

macdad7178
Jun 28, 2007, 12:38 AM
rain in the forecast for friday. good news? i think so. less people willing to stand in line all day. HOPEFULLY anyway.

thoughts?

SilverPenny
Jun 28, 2007, 02:25 AM
Rain, blizzard, wind, tornado...

All won't stop me from getting one.

Excited much.

kahuna1342
Jun 28, 2007, 11:49 AM
Looks like I will be at the Pioneer Place Store. Since AT&T locations are limiting to one per person and I need two right away. :)

Peabody
Jun 28, 2007, 04:41 PM
Any Portlanders actually check to see how many AT&T stores are in the area that will be carrying the phone? I believe at least 12, and 9 of those are nowhere near an Apple Store and associated chaos! About 3 are far enough that no one from the metro area will want to drive the extra 15 minutes..

I already know where I'll be, not one minute earlier than 6, walk in with no significant crowds, get one and be on my way home. While I pass Bridgeport Village with my already activated phone I'll wave to ya'll still waiting in the masses!

See you at your friendly rural Oregon AT&T tomorrow, or not...

:D

--Peabody

SilverPenny
Jun 28, 2007, 07:00 PM
Bridgeport ftw!

Except I don't know whether to go to the Apple store in Bridgeport or the Cingular store. Oh well, atleast that cuts the lines in half.

marvel2
Jun 28, 2007, 07:07 PM
What time is everyone planning on be there?

SilverPenny
Jun 28, 2007, 07:16 PM
I'm going to see a sneak showing of Transformers, and I'll probably head over right after that.

So 10pmish

navanod
Jun 28, 2007, 08:06 PM
I'm going to see a sneak showing of Transformers, and I'll probably head over right after that.

So 10pmish

Which theater? Bridgeport? What time?

trainwrecka
Jun 28, 2007, 10:19 PM
Transformers sneak peak?!?!?! where??? i'm in town visiting family - all the way from texas. went to an ATT store today and started my account (farewell sprint). i'm not sure where to go or what to do when it comes to getting the phone though.

i really hope there isn't a line. i did wait 18 hours for a Wii though - no complaints there.

SilverPenny
Jun 28, 2007, 11:27 PM
There was a sneak peek at the Lloyd Center for Transformers. Great movie.

UPDATE: I got kicked out of bridgeport mall, no camping allowed. I am going back at 5am.

marvel2
Jun 29, 2007, 12:01 AM
There was a sneak peek at the Lloyd Center for Transformers. Great movie.

UPDATE: I got kicked out of bridgeport mall, no camping allowed. I am going back at 5am.

Anybody else try to camp out with you?

SilverPenny
Jun 29, 2007, 12:25 AM
Yeah there were a couple people attempting to. No luck for them.

trainwrecka
Jun 29, 2007, 01:38 AM
no line at the att store.

Felldownthewell
Jun 29, 2007, 01:58 AM
I wish I could be there with you guys! Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your level of apple-fanboyism) I am in Paris, which has the redeeming factor of being Paris but absolutely no iPhones. I would be camped out in Pioneer Place or as close as they'd let me be if I were there. Good luck! Make Portland macheads proud!

navanod
Jun 29, 2007, 10:42 AM
Waiting here at the Washington Square mall... approx 30 people @ 8:35AM... I'm #21. I have been here since 7:10AM... Mall security and staff have been awesome! They have given us dounuts and coffee from Starbucks!

Peabody
Jun 29, 2007, 10:44 AM
Drove past Bridgeport Village @ 8:30

15 or so at Apple
6 or so at AT&T

Good luck all!

marvel2
Jun 29, 2007, 11:55 AM
There are 3 campers at my local AT&T store as of 9:30am. Crazy..

masckub503
Jun 29, 2007, 12:29 PM
anyone waiting in line already at the ATT store on MLK/GRAND and BROADWAY?

FeralCat
Jun 29, 2007, 12:57 PM
My wife volunteered to wait at the Pioneer Place Apple Store for our iPhones at about 2 pm today. I was going to meet her for lunch and then come back to work, so I'll update w/ the size of the line sometime after 2pm. But, if the line is hundreds of people, I think she may not want to wait in line. I guess I was banking on the laid-back nature of NW'ers and the fact that you couldn't camp in Pioneer Place to keep the line down, but I guess we'll see...

Halsey12
Jun 29, 2007, 03:18 PM
Hello, I'm over on the Eastside and am thinking either the AT&T store on Broadway and MLK (near where I work)or the one near Mall 205 on Washington (5 minute walk from my house). I work on Grand ave and I'm thinking that I'm still close to a few other places if either one gets ridiculous. I am working that day and so will be skipping out around 4 to get in line...just hoping that it isn't as crazy as people think it will be!

Dano

Seems like a good one to go to, the MLK one- there really isn't any parking around there with all the one ways. Kind of a difficult location for a big crowd to park at. I might try that one too!

FeralCat
Jun 29, 2007, 04:44 PM
OK, when I was just there about 15 minutes ago, the line wasn't super long, but it was probably about 100 people. I've got pictures at this flickr stream (http://tinyurl.com/2oxqou). Just 3 pics: back of the line, front of the line and the window to the store. You can see the ginormous iPhone displays in the front window, and they were just putting up some sticky letters on the window... Here's the back of the line, where my wife was (she's not in the pic, though). This was back at the candy store, and the line stretched up 3 stores to the front of the Apple Store.

Those poor folks at the Qwest mobile store aren't going to pick up too much business from these folks, I'm betting... :D

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1420/663563565_37f5a89a46.jpg?v=0

navanod
Jun 29, 2007, 05:45 PM
At WS... about 70 people now! Line is growing faster now.

FeralCat
Jun 29, 2007, 07:05 PM
Line at Pioneer Place is now officially huge. It doubled back on itself & they're going to come around and ask us to crunch together to make more room for people to stand in... :eek:

gmankono
Jun 30, 2007, 01:04 AM
So what happened? Does anyone have news on whether or not the Portland Apple stores sold out?

I don't have the cash together yet to get a pair of iPhones, so I have to live vicariously through those who are enjoying the frenzy...

FeralCat
Jun 30, 2007, 10:37 AM
So what happened? Does anyone have news on whether or not the Portland Apple stores sold out?

I don't have the cash together yet to get a pair of iPhones, so I have to live vicariously through those who are enjoying the frenzy...

I don't know if they sold out at the pioneer place store, but I got my 2 phones! I'm typing this message from mine right now and it's pretty slick. The keyboard does take some getting used to, but I'm already using both my thumbs to type, and it's pretty fast. Obviously, I hope I get better at it over time. But I don't think it will be a problem.

Anyway, I think the store experience was very good. They kept the line moving once the store opened, and it only took about 20 minutes to get my phones, even though I was 100 people back in line.

SilverPenny
Jun 30, 2007, 06:56 PM
I was first in line at Bridgeport Village.

Channel 2 did a pretty big news story on me and some friends.

When I came out of the store, I raised the box, and crowd went nuts, pretty funny.

It was worth the wait.