Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Hobos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
The Streets
Hello all! I have been viewing the forums for the past few months and have finally joined MacRumors as I have purchased an ibook G3 (first mac). I love it to death, it is so portable and even runs like a champ considering it is almost 4 years old. The ibook has a 800MHZ G3 processor along with maxed out ram at 640MB.

Anyway I am planing on buying an :apple: TV before school starts up again and would like to encode my dvds to h.264. I was wondering if my computer can handle this task. BTW I would need to buy a dvd drive for my computer along with an external HDD.

My other option is to buy a friends Powermac G4 with dual 1GHZ processors(he is selling it at $250) it already has a dvd drive and two 200GB HDD so that will save me ~ 150. As I am new to macs and would like to know if the Powermac will significantly make a difference in encoding times or should I just stick with my ibook and save the $100?

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
That sounds like a great deal on the G4. It will help you significantly to run your program when compared to the ibook g3. Also, the G4 will be able to support leopard while at the moment it is uncertain whether your ibook will be able to.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Buy the PowerMac before your friend changes his mind! That is a great deal!

According to EveryMac, the cheapest dual G4 power mac goes for almost $900 currently.

Well those prices are a bit bloated. You can probably buy one right now for 400-500 dollars on ebay. This mac has 400gb in hard drives so it looks like a real bargain at that price. Pick it up immediately!

iPhil

macrumors 68040
To the OP: i currently use a PowerMac G4 tower ..It started @ dual G4 450 mhz , now its @ dual 1 Ghz processor card bought from here and now has 1.5 GB of Ram thinking of Maxing it out @ 2GB.. Once i go all intel Mac systems.

I'm turning my Tower system into a Media storage system..

I went from IDE drive system (Fat Grey Cable) to SATA (red thin cable) for my hard drives easier to install..

I bought mine like $150.00 more than your friend is offering to sell to you ..

I'd buy that unit if i was you .. its excellent deal

Sir Hobos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
The Streets
Thanks for the replies, I didn't know if it was that big of a speed jump, but by your responses it seems like I should jump on it. Hope to have it tomorrow:)

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Wow, and I thought my Dualie was a steal! I got my Dual Quicksilver G4 1GHz for 220 plus shipping on eBay, but it had no RAM, and no HDDs, but a Radeon 9000 Pro (was advertised with GF4MX) and a DVD-RW.

Grab it man! This machine is plenty fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.