Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alonzo1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Hey guys,

From what I've heard, MPEG-1 is the most compatible format out there (correct me if I'm wrong). Does anyone know any free software I can use to compress my video into MPEG-1?

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Yes, at one time it was the most compatible ... and may still be. However, it's also one of the lowest quality out there.

For best overall compatibility AND quality, go with Flash. Next would be WMV.

-DH

Alonzo1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
My video will have to be in a file format that people can download, so flash is out of the question. As for WMV, most PC users can play that, but not all Mac users can. And other than that, I find it's compression quality questionable. Besides, I don't have any software that can compress it into WMV without a watermark.

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
MPEG-1 is probably the most compatible, but like DH said, the quality is poor, and you are limited to 320x240 resolution. You can use MPEG Streamclip, ffmpegX, or QuickTime Pro (I think) to compress to MPEG-1.

Windows users can play back QuickTime if they have QuickTime installed, and MPEG-4 if they have either RealPlayer or QuickTime installed.

Mac users can play back WMV if they have Windows Media Player, Flip4Mac, or Perian installed.

Generally it is less to ask 5% of the computing population to go download Flip4Mac for free than it is to ask 90% to download QuickTime for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.