PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Omaha, NE

Bistroengine
Jun 25, 2007, 09:36 PM
Hey, give it up for Omaha, Nebraska. We have an Apple store too now you know. Don't think I'm gonna try to get mine at the Apple store as it will be way too crazy. I need to transfer my number and add a line anyway so I'm going to one of the Cingular/ATT Stores. Anyone else from Omaha around? Speak up!

poppe
Jun 26, 2007, 01:46 AM
Hey, give it up for Omaha, Nebraska. We have an Apple store too now you know. Don't think I'm gonna try to get mine at the Apple store as it will be way too crazy. I need to transfer my number and add a line anyway so I'm going to one of the Cingular/ATT Stores. Anyone else from Omaha around? Speak up!

No fricken way Omaha finally got an Apple store... Oh man!!

CarloVonSexron
Jun 26, 2007, 10:05 AM
I'm from Omaha. Not sure where I'm going yet, though.

Bistroengine
Jun 26, 2007, 03:08 PM
No fricken way Omaha finally got an Apple store... Oh man!!

and we have a Starbucks too!!! It's hard to get to though from all the cows in the middle of the road. Yeeehawww!

poppe
Jun 26, 2007, 09:42 PM
and we have a Starbucks too!!! It's hard to get to though from all the cows in the middle of the road. Yeeehawww!

Are you mocking me? I am from Nebraska. I was so surprised they got an Apple store because about 8 months ago my parents were looking for a computer, but since they are not very computer literate they would not by a computer with out seeing it first.

grafikat
Jun 26, 2007, 09:45 PM
I'm from the other side of the state....no way this Husker could find an apple store in the panhandle!

Livin' in the "big city" now, and the apple store is still 1 hour away

Bistroengine
Jun 27, 2007, 10:56 AM
Are you mocking me? I am from Nebraska. I was so surprised they got an Apple store because about 8 months ago my parents were looking for a computer, but since they are not very computer literate they would not by a computer with out seeing it first.

I wasn't sure if you were genuinely excited or just making fun of Omaha. Some people from California think we're all a bunch of hick farmers if they even know where Omaha is at all. I'm very protective of my home town. Sorry I jumped on you too quickly.

So, are you planning on getting an iPhone in 2 days? I can't wait.

poppe
Jun 27, 2007, 06:59 PM
I wasn't sure if you were genuinely excited or just making fun of Omaha. Some people from California think we're all a bunch of hick farmers if they even know where Omaha is at all. I'm very protective of my home town. Sorry I jumped on you too quickly.

So, are you planning on getting an iPhone in 2 days? I can't wait.

Oh no big deal. I completely understand. Texas is worse though. When I moved in 9th grade, no mind you it was a 9th grader who asked the question, I was asked, "Do you guys have running water?" It was with dead seriousness. I am also very protective of Nebraska and its small cities especially. Grew up in Scribner (population 950 people). I am actually gonna wait to get one. I am, however, getting paid to wait in line for someone ($150 for 12-15 hours) of waiting in line, plus if I get it a bonus (Toast). Then after I get the iPhone I will give it off to my employer and go online and order it (I'm fine with waiting for it in the mail).

wongulous
Jun 27, 2007, 09:18 PM
I'm going to the Village Pointe Apple Store, because I'm sure the experience there will be better... plus maybe I can catch a flick at the theatre (Ratatouille?) if things are boring.

jlwillia
Jun 28, 2007, 09:31 AM
Does anybody know if the iphone can pick up ANY wi-fi signal or does it have to be an att wi-fi? In Omaha there is only about 4 locations listed on att's website. This might be a make or break deal for me about the iphone. If I can't get wi-fi anywhere except those 4 or 5 locations......

wongulous
Jun 28, 2007, 09:39 AM
Does anybody know if the iphone can pick up ANY wi-fi signal or does it have to be an att wi-fi? In Omaha there is only about 4 locations listed on att's website. This might be a make or break deal for me about the iphone. If I can't get wi-fi anywhere except those 4 or 5 locations......

Lol, it can pick up any WiFi, such as the signal from your AirPort base station at home, the WiFi at colleges, the free WiFi at Panera Bread, the unsecured WiFi you get when wardriving through most suburban neighborhoods and apartment complexes, etc. :)

WiFi = WiFi, it's not like T-Mobile's pay-for "HotSpots."

jlwillia
Jun 28, 2007, 01:30 PM
I hope you're right wong. However, the language of the contract agreement makes it sound as if all wi-fi usage is dependent on att wi-fi connection locations. I don't currently use att and would have to switch when I get an iphone, but does anyone out there currently have a wi-fi phone with att that can shed some light on the subject?

I don't mean to say that you're wrong wong, you may very well be correct. I just want to be 100% positive before spending $500-$600 and a 2 year contract agreement.

CarloVonSexron
Jun 29, 2007, 07:57 AM
I'm headed out to get my car re-registered and run a couple of errands, and then I will be headed out to the Apple Store :) Look for the guy with the Guinness backpack and say hi if you want.

wongulous
Jun 29, 2007, 08:45 AM
Dammit. I was totally going to go but then my friend asked me to come with him to the Y so he wouldn't work out alone... and as much as I want to see the iPhone in my own hands, I also want to be less corpulent and help my friend. So I'll go check out the iPhone at around 6pm after we work out. :)

...OH CRAP I FORGOT MY APPLE SHIRT AT HOME! Well, 6:30. ;)

CarloVonSexron
Jun 29, 2007, 10:22 AM
change in plans. i am sixth in line at the at&t store on 144th

Royale w/cheese
Jun 29, 2007, 02:55 PM
See you guys there, may all your Omaha iPhone dreams come true.

jlwillia
Jul 10, 2007, 02:42 PM
To all those out there in Omaha: how is the iphone/AT&T signal strength in and around Omaha? I am still considering buying one, but need to be certain that it will work when and where I need it to.

I will be a grad student at Creighton and will be living nearby (don't live there currently). The ATT coverage map says that service is pretty good. However, there are some posts on other forums about people who don't get good service with their iphone even though they are in a good service area according to the ATT map. Please advise!

poppe
Jul 10, 2007, 03:29 PM
How bout north of Fremont area?

Bistroengine
Jul 10, 2007, 04:41 PM
To all those out there in Omaha: how is the iphone/AT&T signal strength in and around Omaha? I am still considering buying one, but need to be certain that it will work when and where I need it to.

I will be a grad student at Creighton and will be living nearby (don't live there currently). The ATT coverage map says that service is pretty good. However, there are some posts on other forums about people who don't get good service with their iphone even though they are in a good service area according to the ATT map. Please advise!

I usually have 4 bars consistently indoors and 5 bars most of the time outdoors. I had a RAZR before and had very few problems indoors, however I have noticed with the iPhone that indoors reception can be finicky as in your voice will drop out ocassionally and sometimes drop the call. I have also noticed the bars will drop considerably if your hand covers the plastic antennae area at the bottom of the iPhone. I haven't really tested this therory, its just something I noticed. The dropped calls might be from the influx of a million or more new AT&T customers too if indeed that is how many they have sold so far. Otherwise I have had no major problems with my iPhone in Omaha so far.

Bistroengine
Jul 10, 2007, 04:44 PM
How bout north of Fremont area?

Funny you ask that. I was just in Fremont this morning doing a video shoot. I had 4-5 bars pretty consistently while in Fremont. Moving north of Fremont though, I'm not sure what the signal is like. Guess it depends on how far north your talking. Might not be that bad if the signal in Fremont is 4-5 bars.

poppe
Jul 10, 2007, 05:09 PM
Funny you ask that. I was just in Fremont this morning doing a video shoot. I had 4-5 bars pretty consistently while in Fremont. Moving north of Fremont though, I'm not sure what the signal is like. Guess it depends on how far north your talking. Might not be that bad if the signal in Fremont is 4-5 bars.

Oh nice nice.

Say out of curiosity are you a freelance videographer?

Bistroengine
Jul 11, 2007, 09:28 AM
Oh nice nice.

Say out of curiosity are you a freelance videographer?

Yeah, I mostly work with an ad agency in Council Bluffs, but have a number of other clients I do non-linear editing tech support and training for. At the ad agency we just upgraded to a Quad-Core Intel Mac with Final Cut Studio 2 and shoot with a Panasonic AG-HVX200.

ingenious
Jul 19, 2007, 10:55 PM
I still can't believe NEBRASKA (sorry, guys) got an Apple Store and Kansas hasn't been touched... :p

Congrats on the Apple influence... :D

Royale w/cheese
Jul 19, 2007, 11:19 PM
I still can't believe NEBRASKA (sorry, guys) got an Apple Store and Kansas hasn't been touched... :p

Congrats on the Apple influence... :D

Apple Store Country Club Plaza
4712 Broadway Street
Kansas City, MO 64112
(816) 960-3700

Kansas City, MO isn't close enough? I used to have to go there or to Des Moines. I am sure that was a longer trip than you. :)

Plus our compusa just closed down, only other real reputable place for apples would be Nebraska furniture Mart and I am not even sure they are authorized as they sell apples below MSRP usually by about $50.

I was at the opening event in Omaha, I arrived two hours before they opened, the end of the line was four blocks away.

Kansas doesn't have too much larger a population than nebraska, yet nebraska's per capita income is higher.

Plus Omaha is well known as pretty techie. I have seen homeless people with laptops, sometimes better than mine. :D

wongulous
Jul 20, 2007, 12:54 PM
I was pseudo-homeless with a laptop for a month or two before I found an apartment last year... :D

poppe
Jul 22, 2007, 11:15 PM
ATT service is really really week once your get north of Fremont on the 275 close to the weigh station you are screwed for service. It is spotty and lucky at times to get a bar or two. And if any of you have the iphone yet should know that unless you have all the bars or 3 bars then you can not make phone calls or text messages.

Once you hit West Point you then start to get a little better service. Once you reach Norfolk you have perfect service! and it lasts until a good 10 minutes outside of O'Neil.

boss99er
Nov 30, 2007, 12:01 PM
How is the iPhone reception in actual Omaha? For you that have it, have you travelled out to the middle of the state with it at all. Thats where my parents live and I would like to be able to use it when I go back to see them from time to time.

boss99er
Dec 12, 2007, 11:28 AM
Anyone???