PDA

View Full Version : OmniWeb 4.5 Beta 3 Released.

MacBytes
Jul 11, 2003, 03:40 PM
Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: OmniWeb 4.5 Beta 3 Released. (http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/download/)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Wardofsky
Jul 12, 2003, 03:26 AM
Safari kinda screwed up all the other existing Mac broswers didn't it...

I tried OmniWeb for a while but I couldn't get used to it.

The only thing I remember is the way it presented the load amount, same way as Safari does, along the address bar.

Oh well, long live the 3rd party developer.

Kwyjibo
Jul 12, 2003, 10:57 AM
i tried it when i first swtiched before safari was released and it never seemed all that great. for me the lack of tabs made camino the clear winner

altivec 2003
Jul 12, 2003, 12:24 PM
I used to use it a lot back when there was mainly just IE and Netscape and some other small browsers. I thought that it was OK but never really took to it. I have never downloaded camino though...

Ever since safari came out, I have used it. I find it much better than omniweb in practically everything and the same in interface once the metal is removed :). I think that omnigroup was even CHARGING money :eek: for omniweb but I don't really remember.

Sayhey
Jul 12, 2003, 06:44 PM
I used it for a while but I kept running into websites that it wouldn't work with. liked its set up and some of the sites that it came with were really quite good. Still have the Astronomy site of the day from Omniweb on my Safari bookmarks bar. Don't know any reason why I'd go back though.

AmbitiousLemon
Jul 13, 2003, 12:03 AM
Omniweb 4.5 uses Apple Webcore. This means in terms of speed and rendering ability it is the same (although I have found ow to be a wee bit faster).

Omniweb is $30, but you can use it unlicienced. Of all the browsers it has the very best interface (with one glaring exception -- no tabs). For those who haven't tried it since 4.5 betas started coming out I suggest you do. If you don't need tabs its the best browser out there (even while in beta).

altivec 2003
Jul 13, 2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
Omniweb 4.5 uses Apple Webcore. This means in terms of speed and rendering ability it is the same (although I have found ow to be a wee bit faster).

Omniweb is $30, but you can use it unlicienced. Of all the browsers it has the very best interface (with one glaring exception -- no tabs). For those who haven't tried it since 4.5 betas started coming out I suggest you do. If you don't need tabs its the best browser out there (even while in beta).

Hmm, I haven't even tried it since the 4.1 version. I guess I better give it a try but I bet I won't change because I use tabs so much these days. I never used them before safari but they have become absolutely necessary to me...