Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

60six

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
I have this above configuration and although it works fine in OSX (it would), XP via boot camp will not let me use the 20" cinema screen as the primary display, and every time it restarts it only wants to display on the macbook pro display. I have to manually select my configuration again.

All I want is the Macbook Pro screen to act as a small external monitor, and have the 20" cinema screen as the primary display.

Does anyone have any tips or workarounds? I was going to resort to an autohotkey macro but this still doesn't fix the problem fully.

ezdz

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
I have the same problem... haven't found any solutions on the Apple or Nvidia forums yet either

CountlovE

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
hey! I had the same problem with my 30 inch Cinema Display.. I returned it.. Got a Dell 30 inch instead, and I have the same problem... The Dell Monitor drivers won't install cause it seems that either Apple is blocking them, or nvidia is blocking it from properly detecting the display.. Does anyone have a fix for this? It is driving my crazy... i want to play Battlefield 2 at 2k.

Damn Apple/Nvidia.. get with it!!!

CountlovE

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Well I found out why we don't get display in Vista.

The reason why is because the Nvdia driver that Apple released doesn't have Dual Link Support for Vista.

Sucks... until they get off their butt's, there will be no 30 inch display in Windows Vista.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I have this above configuration and although it works fine in OSX (it would), XP via boot camp will not let me use the 20" cinema screen as the primary display, and every time it restarts it only wants to display on the macbook pro display. I have to manually select my configuration again.

All I want is the Macbook Pro screen to act as a small external monitor, and have the 20" cinema screen as the primary display.

Does anyone have any tips or workarounds? I was going to resort to an autohotkey macro but this still doesn't fix the problem fully.

Unfortunately this does not work on the Macbook or Macbook Pro. Each reboot you must select the main external display and you cannot use the laptop as a secondary display. Single display only if you want the external as the Primary display.

This is not an nVidia issue and has been document thoughout our company on all laptops from the earliest CD Macbook through the current SR MBP.

Works fine in OS X but neither version of Windows (XP or Vista)

If someone manages to hack their way around this limitation we would all love to hear about it.

Cheers,

CountlovE

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Unfortunately this does not work on the Macbook or Macbook Pro. Each reboot you must select the main external display and you cannot use the laptop as a secondary display. Single display only if you want the external as the Primary display.

This is not an nVidia issue and has been document thoughout our company on all laptops from the earliest CD Macbook through the current SR MBP.

Works fine in OS X but neither version of Windows (XP or Vista)

If someone manages to hack their way around this limitation we would all love to hear about it.

Cheers,

I was told that there was no Dual Link support for the drivers for Vista on 8600m chips.

perfectheat

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
Got the same problem but with x1600, XP & Samsung 226CW monitor.

Does anyone know if there is any solution with this setup? I guess the monitor doesn't matter.

Might be a stupid question but can one install new drivers from the ATI site while running bootcamp?

I can also only extend my monitor to the external. I can't manage to mirror it.

noway

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
what is the best size for windows xp on a 160 gb hdd ? i was thinking about 20-30 is that okay?

LMO

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
what is the best size for windows xp on a 160 gb hdd ? i was thinking about 20-30 is that okay?
It depends on what else you plan to install. XP only needs about 3GB or so for the system files, but you need space for swap files etc. and it is best not to run XP on a nearly-full partition. In most cases 20-30GB would be plenty.

shef2000

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
Better Nvidia Drivers for your MBP

I used to run into the problem of having less than great drivers for my sager notebook and found a solution to not having the latest NVIDIA drivers. Go surf to http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ (or google laptopvideo2go), they maintain their own set of inf files that include all of the mobile chips out on the market.

The latest NVIDIA drivers when compared to the ones bundled with the MBP blow it out of the water in performance although I can't say I have tried multi-monitor yet. (which I'll do when I get home tonight).

It's worth a try.

Siroc

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
I used to run into the problem of having less than great drivers for my sager notebook and found a solution to not having the latest NVIDIA drivers. Go surf to http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ (or google laptopvideo2go), they maintain their own set of inf files that include all of the mobile chips out on the market.

The latest NVIDIA drivers when compared to the ones bundled with the MBP blow it out of the water in performance although I can't say I have tried multi-monitor yet. (which I'll do when I get home tonight).

It's worth a try.

I can't seem to find the drivers for the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT... they seem to all be for the GO cards. Can you provide any help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.