Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xanderander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
I have been testing Handbreak and all seems well with movies, but I am not sure about TV show DVDs.
When I tried to convert a tv show DVD I only got the first episode...Do I need to convert each episode individually? Man, it will take me weeks just to convert my X-files collection...

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Yep, you're going to have to convert each file individually. What you can do to speed the process up though is enable the queue and then start putting episodes 2, 3, 4, etc. from each disc in the queue. When episode 1 is finished it will move on to the next episode in the queue without you having to do anything. I do this before I go to bed and wake up the next morning with each disc done. Also, if you have MactheRipper, you can rip every disc from season 1 to your hard drive and then proceed to rip each individual episode from the disc image that you got from MactheRipper. Hope this helps.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Actually, you should be thankful. The latest version of Handbrake comes with some nice features that make ripping TV shows a lot faster.

1) You can set Handbrake to automatically check the 'deinterlace' box when it loads since the deinterlace setting is not captured in the encoding profile
2) Profiles mean that you can setup a TV profile
3) You can have it autoname the files based on the disc name and chapter number

Then, once it's all ripped, hit up IMDB and name all the files properly, rather than in the confined Handbrake window.

As easy as this is, relatively speaking, I do wish Handbrake would come out with a 'Smart Filter' option. Such an option would allow you to define a range, say, 15-25 minutes for a 22 minute TV show, capture all the chapters that meet that, checkbox the ones you want, and encode... anyone else dream of this?

johnnybluejeans

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
New York, NY
As easy as this is, relatively speaking, I do wish Handbrake would come out with a 'Smart Filter' option. Such an option would allow you to define a range, say, 15-25 minutes for a 22 minute TV show, capture all the chapters that meet that, checkbox the ones you want, and encode... anyone else dream of this?

Handbrake does do this, at least it does for me in 0.8.5b1. In the titles drop down you can select the different titled sections, these are generally entire episodes or special features. Once you select one it automatically selects the chapters you need. In the screenshot below I have a Seinfeld DVD in the drive. As you can see the first 6 Title sections are all about 22-24 mins long -- they correspond to the 5 episodes on the disc and then the actor/producer commentary feature.

Another nice feature is the queueing ability. You can set up each episode as a separate job and then launch them all at once.

A final note -- I use the Handbrake "Target Size" option to get the file sizes down to something reasonable. At the iPod default settings, a 22 min television episode results in a 250Mb file. I encode in mp4 (because it is 8 times faster than ripping+encoding in h.264) and set the target size to 100Mb for a television episode. The quality is still very good on the iPhone, and you can store more episodes. At these settings I can rip an episode in about 6 minutes (80fps) on my 2.0Ghz Core Duo iMac.

Attachments

• handbrake.jpg
    handbrake.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 88

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Lancashire, North West, UK
Sorry about this but i'm missing something here and it's driving me mad.
I'm trying to rip a tv series using handbrake, i add the episodes to the que and press start. The program starts and as an example will state in the progress bar that is doing episode 3 of 5 (so i'm confident i set it up correct). Once completed, lets say approx 1.5 hrs later for 5 episodes and i play back through Quicktime, only the first episode ,22-28 mins of footage is only ever there??!!?

Please tell what i'm doing wrong - many thanks

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
Make sure that in the queue you switch names for each episode, otherwise it will overwrite each of the previous files. Simple thing, but it has messed me up a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.