PDA

View Full Version : PC Gf3 on Mac

Illuminatus
Aug 27, 2001, 10:42 AM
Has anybody else tried that 'flash a PC Gf3' trick? More importantly has anybody told Apple that this is a viable work around to overpriced hardware?

menoinjun
Aug 27, 2001, 03:17 PM
havent tried it...but what about driver support? Do you have to buy a ****** generic GF3? (is there such a thing?)

-Pete

I would never do it because of my Apple 17" CRT w/ ADC

kid.a
Aug 27, 2001, 04:06 PM
I just recently ordered a Visiontek GF3. It's very easy to flash a PC GF3 and would work just like an Apple one.
I'll let you know how my flash goes.

Here's a good guide to flashing a GF3: http://duxbury.la/gf3/gf3_1.html

kid.a
Aug 27, 2001, 04:08 PM
Also, I believe Apple does know about this. nVidia stated in an interview that they were displeased that people were flashing PC nVidia cards.

Illuminatus
Aug 27, 2001, 04:26 PM
Why should Nvidia be mad? That people have found that they are needlessly overpricing hardware? The original guy did this trick said he used the latest Nvidia Apple drivers. It sounds like all the magic is in the drivers. Who knows? Maybe the boards are identical!

kid.a
Aug 27, 2001, 10:36 PM
The Gf2MX and GF3 boards are basically the same as the Apple ones. nVidia built these cards with the Mac in mind. Also, Apple just buys the cards from nVidia and sells them at their own prices($499 BLEH!). nVidia is displeased maybe because they want Apple to make more money and buy more of their cards.
And the magic is not really in the drivers. The bios on the GF3 is set for PC when you buy a PC Gf3. To turn it into a Mac GF3, you must get the Mac GF3 ROM from the Apple card, and flash that ROM on a PC GF3. THEN you have to install the drivers. It's really a quite simple process.
I think that's right...check the xlr8yourmac forums for all the dirt.

Illuminatus
Aug 29, 2001, 08:15 AM
I've been out on the prowl for a GeForce 3 card to try this trick. 3 questions:

1. Does the PC you use to flash the card in have to have had another Geforce board in it previously? All posts seem to share this trait on the PC end.

2. I'm running a dual monitor setup, has anybody had conflicts with additonal PCI graphics boards (specifically an ATI Orion)

3. Has anyone notice the additional features of the card to be working such as composite / S- video out?

It's all so exciting!

kid.a
Aug 29, 2001, 03:23 PM
1. No.

2. I think that some people had some conflicts, but it really should work without any problems.

3. Not sure. I haven't heard anyone comment on that.

So are you going to flash a GF3?

Illuminatus
Aug 29, 2001, 03:28 PM
I think I am. The only problem seems to be availability! I went to about six different shops yesterday and everyone was sold out. I'm also trying to stick to the
Asus 8200 pure, as that seems to be the one everyone has used with success.

I did see a Geforce 2 MX for $149 (Canadian, I'm in Toronto) very tempting, but I want to hold out for the 64M card. BTW has anyone attempted something similar with a Radeon board???

kid.a
Aug 29, 2001, 06:24 PM
There are plenty of places online to order it. Try http://www.pricewatch.com
You are aware of the flickering problems on the Asus 8200 Pure, right? I went with the Visiontek GF3 as that card had no flickering. On a side note, Visiontek also makes the GF3 and GF2MX for Apple, so this could be why.

Also, it's absolutely impossible to flash a Radeon.

menoinjun
Aug 29, 2001, 07:49 PM
I bet that someone will come out with beta drivers for the mac that can enable the svideo and other outputs of a flashed gf3 card. I think that may be the only thing needed to activate those other features. Why is it impossible to flash a radeon board? Is there no onchip bios?

-Pete

Illuminatus
Aug 30, 2001, 08:10 AM
One more question:

Anybody know what the outcome of a flash is when using NT rather than windows? I imagine it would work be the same, but just asking in case!!

Regards

kid.a
Aug 30, 2001, 03:17 PM
Illuminatus: I'm almost positive it would be the same, but AFAIK, no one has used NT to flash a GF3.

ptrauber: I'm not exactly sure, but it's been proven. I think it has something to do with the PC Radeon's not supporting Apple's big endian byte operating scheme.

kid.a
Sep 6, 2001, 05:21 PM
Well, I just picked up a PowerColor GF3! Unfortunately I won't be able to flash it until Saturday :(
Until then I'll just admire how purty it looks :)
Silver heatsink with orange PCB. hee hee

I'll tell you all how it goes later on Sat.