PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook superdrive, can it take DVD-RW's

Stelliform
Jul 11, 2003, 11:25 PM
I know the specs for the drive say it can take them, however the firmware just has the drive eject the disk.

I haven't tried to get mine to work in a few months, so I thought I would ask you guys. Does anybody know if you can burn a DVD-RW in the powerbook superdrive, can Roxio do it?

ZildjianKX
Jul 12, 2003, 01:35 AM
Which powerbook? I read the 17" can but not the 15"...

Stelliform
Jul 12, 2003, 09:16 AM
15" TiBook.

In looking for the model of the drive I found this thread. (http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=12170) Apparently it still isn't an option. :(

WinterMute
Jul 12, 2003, 01:48 PM
Nope, the drive in my 17 is a DVD-r only, the RW option isn't offered by Apple currently I think, although the drives in the G5's aren't the same model, so maybe they can.

Farside161
Jul 12, 2003, 02:40 PM
the drives that apple uses are the panosonic DVR-A03, A04 and A05 for there desktops (don't know what they use for there laptops). These drives are all DVD-RW drives, however apple has only chosen to lable them as DVD-R drives you should be able to use DVD-RW discs with some software i.e apples own Disc Copy, iTunes (for music back up) or iPhoto (for photo backup). Toast also has the ability to burn to DVD-RW discs. however the drives they use in there laptops may be only DVD-R drives you should check System Profiler to see what kind of drive you have.