Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Does anyone have this game yet? How is the multiplayer? Is finding games online easy? Are the fun? Just looking for a review of it from a normal person instead of some gaming site or company, thanks.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I think it's a really great, fun game. Online works great, has a daily leader board, overall leader etc. Play a random match or against a friend online. Plus you can team up with a local friend and play 2v2 matches which are whole worlds of fun.
I haven't even touched the single player mode yet, just VS and online.

The music is great, the graphics are fluid and never a slow down (which is utterly mad when you consider the audience is completely 3D).

I really recommend it. IMO the best multiplayer game since Melee and a game I'm really happy I bought.

Controls are very intuitive. I've found myself throwing my arms all over the show as I get more engrossed in the game :D

But-

-The action is very fast. I haven't played any sports games like this before, at all, so I can't compare on the speed front. But it does get very hectic and it's really easy to lose yourself.
-I can only play in short 5 point matches. I think it's linked to the above point and I just get mentally exhausted.
-Character introductions will get annoying :D

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
We’ve got this game and it is rather fun. We’ve not given the online version a go so I can’t comment on that, but it’s one of those games that really comes to life when you’re playing with a friend or two.

Put me down as another one who recommends it. :)

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
I enjoyed the GameCube one (single player was kind of a drag), and I can't wait for the US release.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Thanks for the reviews, I think I'm going to pick it up when it comes out here. Can you do a 2v2 game where you and a friend, who live in different houses, play on the same team?

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
think about it that way:
it's _really_ hectic

on the single player: first there is some sort of challenge mode where you have to equalize leads etc. or win with less players: the first are really easy but it get's hard fast

on the tournaments: the first you are going to breeze through easily perhaps getting zero goals and scoring one goal after another, then you hit the second cup and it's like "ZOMG" with my first randomly selected team i barley made it through the qualification mode and then got kicked out in the first KO round

and playing against a human can be ridiculously challenging and there are plenty of opponents (i think it is region based to reduce lag) at least in europe

online multiplayer games are best of 3 games and quit fun but as usual there are gazillion of people out there with too much time on their hands who totally own the first regions of the ladder .. but i guess down the line it is going to get less crowded

playing against a friend is of course priceless especially if your friend is 4:0 ahead with 10 seconds left to go and you can still equalize and then win with golden goal in overtime (it took my 8 seconds to equalize and then another 5 to win in overtime)
it also means in online games you have to concentrate for the whole time... since the game lasts it's time and never you are so far behind that you say "screw this"

the downside is of course that you will be screaming "DON'T TALK TO ME I HAVE TO CONCENTRATE" if you are living with other people

the music assigned to the characters is ridiculously funny and totally fitting
especially waluigi's banjo .... the goal celebrations are of course totally gloating: luigi starting to cry when getting a few goals ? the reggae listening piranha plant ? the totally stupid dance of Birdo ? totally brilliant

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.