Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joncostley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2005
I have a new dual Quad core machine, 4G RAM. Running FC Studio 2. I've been working on a project for 2 weeks, since I got the machine. It's a fairly complex project with lots of motion files. FCP has seemed a bit unstable since the beginning on the machine, has hung on me a few times. Now, I can't open the project that I was working on at all. A dialog with the file opening progress stalls at 11% and one of the processors show as being pegged at 100% in the Activity Monitor. I've tried giving it time, and trashing FCP's preferences. No luck at all.

Any ideas at all? Are there any known issues with FC Studio 2 and the octo-cores?

Thanks in advance.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Try installing FCP 6 in another account and opening the file that you're working on, this will help you know if it's just affecting your account or if it's a system wide issue.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Did you do a completely clean install (wipe the drive, install OS X fresh, then instal FCS)? Where did you buy your RAM from? Have you been able to open any back-up copies of the project?

Lethal

joncostley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2005
It's a two week old machine, so it was a totally clean install. It's apple RAM. And I can open the backups of the project, other than the most recent two.

This is why this is so frustrating, Brand new machine, only worked on a couple projects.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
It's a two week old machine, so it was a totally clean install. It's apple RAM. And I can open the backups of the project, other than the most recent two.

This is why this is so frustrating, Brand new machine, only worked on a couple projects.

Have you tried the advice I gave in my earlier post?

joncostley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2005
After spending 2 and a half hours on the phone with Apple Support, what they came up with is that it was a bad install of FC Studio and or OSX. So all my motion files that I created since install were corrupted. A new OSX install and FC Studio install seems to fixed the problem. Chalk all that time up to professional development right????? It's a good thing this project's deadline isn't tomorrow..... oh wait........

writezach

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Any way to play a FCP6 project in FCP 4 or 5?

I'm an independent documentary filmmaker breaking my bank for a good will project on the lives of volunteers in post-katrina New Orleans and have been editing none stop for about three weeks now on FCP 4.

Another friend of mine offered to edit with me for the next two weeks at his schools FCP 6 video lab, but I am worried I won't be able to revert the project to FCP 4 or 5 afterwards (I can't afford to upgrade at the moment!).

Any suggestions?

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
I'm an independent documentary filmmaker breaking my bank for a good will project on the lives of volunteers in post-katrina New Orleans and have been editing none stop for about three weeks now on FCP 4.

Another friend of mine offered to edit with me for the next two weeks at his schools FCP 6 video lab, but I am worried I won't be able to revert the project to FCP 4 or 5 afterwards (I can't afford to upgrade at the moment!).

Any suggestions?

Does FCP 4 support XML interchange format (I think that was the version that it first appeared in)? If so, your friend could make all the edits on his machine, and send back the xml to you for final rendering on yours. If I'm wrong and FCP4 doesn't support xml, then you could always use an EDL export from your friend, though this is more limited, as EDLs only support edits than can be done on a linear tape editor, whereas the xml handles anything that FCP is capable of. Again, you'd still have to render on your machine, but the effort of making the edit decisions, and finessing the cuts and transitions could at least be off loaded to your friend.

Here's a link to the manual on FCP XML-IF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.