PDA

View Full Version : ibook G4 help

disconap
Jun 27, 2007, 07:03 AM
Sorry for the double post, I originally posted this in the macbook forum accidentally (could a mod delete that one?). Here's the post:

Ok, this is a bizarre case; I'll preface this with saying that I've worked on over a dozen G4 ibooks, including my own (which works just fine). Here's the case:

Working ibook when received to replace optical drive.
Replaced optical drive, replaced with no damage and all parts connected correctly.
After repair, ibook would not book (flashing folder/question mark).
Booted into firewire mode, G5 (diagnostic machine) wouldn't identify computer.
Tried booting from OSX install disc; three times apple logo shifted to right and down with artifacts in space it moved from, one time crossed out circle replaced apple logo.
Tried booting from hardware test disc from a different ibook, got the "does not support this ibook" shut down/restart menu.
Removed added RAM and airport card; same symptoms.
Even though I didn't touch the HDD cables, took it apart again to check the cables.
Symptoms persist.

This is where I am at now. Thoughts? Ideas? Next step will be to go back to the original optical drive, which really doesn't make sense to me, but when in doubt, back to original. If anyone has some advice, please supply, as I am stumped...

wrldwzrd89
Jun 27, 2007, 08:19 AM
Sorry for the double post, I originally posted this in the macbook forum accidentally (could a mod delete that one?). Here's the post:

Ok, this is a bizarre case; I'll preface this with saying that I've worked on over a dozen G4 ibooks, including my own (which works just fine). Here's the case:

Replaced optical drive, replaced with no damage and all parts connected correctly.
Tried booting from OSX install disc; three times apple logo shifted to right and down with artifacts in space it moved from, one time crossed out circle replaced apple logo.
Tried booting from hardware test disc from a different ibook, got the "does not support this ibook" shut down/restart menu.
Even though I didn't touch the HDD cables, took it apart again to check the cables.
Symptoms persist.

This is where I am at now. Thoughts? Ideas? Next step will be to go back to the original optical drive, which really doesn't make sense to me, but when in doubt, back to original. If anyone has some advice, please supply, as I am stumped...
I think I might know what the problem is. I know it's not the cables, nor is it the optical drive itself - I bet it's the slave/master/cable select setting that's goofing things up. If putting the original optical drive back in makes it work, that will add further weight to my theory. The iBook probably expects those settings to be a certain way, and when they're changed, all sorts of weird problems occur, such as the ones you describe.

uMac
Jun 27, 2007, 08:32 AM

Symptoms persist.

Are you sure the optical drive is supported by the ibook, could simply be conflicting problem where the optical drive is giving the ibook and error, and this stops the start-up process.

I'm not familiar with the ibook and macs for a while but I had and issue in PC when I upgraded my optical drive to a new one the computer didn't support.

disconap
Jun 27, 2007, 10:55 AM
So how do you reset those on a laptop optical drive? Also, this may add credence to your theory, but booting from the Tiger DVD worked, but it didn't find the drive. I am planning on going back inside the machine this evening, so if you know how to do it (is it firmware maybe?), please let me know (and many thanks!).

wrldwzrd89
Jun 27, 2007, 10:58 AM
So how do you reset those on a laptop optical drive? Also, this may add credence to your theory, but booting from the Tiger DVD worked, but it didn't find the drive. I am planning on going back inside the machine this evening, so if you know how to do it (is it firmware maybe?), please let me know (and many thanks!).
Yes - that statement does add credence to my theory. Anyway, this option is not set via firmware, but is usually set with a little DIP switch on the back of the drive, near where the cables plug into. There are usually little markings indicating which position is which (sometimes they're color coded, other times M means Master, S slave, and CS cable select).

disconap
Jun 27, 2007, 11:01 AM
That's true on a standard IDE drive, but not a laptop drive. There are no dips (I'm looking at the back of the removed drive right now). Is there a firmware solution?

mkrishnan
Jun 27, 2007, 11:29 AM

When you took it apart the second time to troubleshoot, did you try turning it on without the new optical drive, to validate that this is actually true? I'm not doubting your skills, but with weird artifacts on the initial Apple logo screen, and some of the other things, it's sounding like maybe something happened to the logic board during the installation -- even something like stress on a solder point or so on?

Of course, if it works without the new optical drive, you know that's not true. And, I guess, the results with the other iBook's recovery CD seem to contra-indicate that too....

disconap
Jun 27, 2007, 11:33 AM
As stated above, I was able to boot from the Tiger DVD and run all included apps, it just didn't recognize the HDD. The HDD wasn't even touched, so I'm definitely confused...

But yeah, totally understandable question, that's my normal response whenever anyone posts something like this, but I used an antistatic bracelet and followed all the mid-ranged protocols for preventing any damage to the motherboard. The HDD simply isn't there anymore.

mkrishnan
Jun 27, 2007, 11:39 AM
Well, I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but I don't understand. Does the HD work when the optical drive is not there anymore, or not?

I found this...

http://forums.macnn.com/73/mac-modification/284368/g3-ibook-optical-drive-upgrade-problem/

Are you sure that the drive you have is the right type of master/slave selection system for the iBook?

Also this....

http://cubeowner.com/kbase_2/?page=index_v2&id=135&c=5

Which suggests that sometimes, if the optical drive is not cable select and there's no switches, it may be master only, and oddly, you'll have to slave the HD? In any event, try toggling the master/slave switches on the *HD*? Just takes a second.

disconap
Jun 27, 2007, 12:49 PM
I will when I take apart the ibook, but again, bot sure that there are physical settings on ibook drives...

But yes, I am sure about the optical drive, it's Apple OEM and the model number matched the replaced one (which worked fine for cd, the DVD lazer was faulty). I'll let you know after tonight when I dig back into the guts. :)

disconap
Jun 29, 2007, 03:06 AM
Turned out to be a dead drive cable; swapped out one from an older ibook and it works perfectly! Thanks for the help, folks. :)