arn
Jul 12, 2003, 04:31 PM
finally

arn
Jul 12, 2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Chef Ramen
*jaw hits the floor*

is that a rendering or a photograph??

well.... I guess that's up for debate... :)

... but they are categorized as "Photoshop" on MacBytes.com

arn

Chef Ramen
Jul 12, 2003, 04:33 PM
but it does look like it could have been easily photoshopped :-\

EyeMyke
Jul 12, 2003, 04:34 PM
those look NICE!

Kwyjibo
Jul 12, 2003, 04:41 PM
WOW those look awesome, makes me wish i had the cash to buy one

jacka55
Jul 12, 2003, 04:47 PM
The dots aren't straight on the top of the monitor in the G5 and Monitor photo. And, the base(?) dots are disproportionately bigger in that photo than the other dots in the photo.

And, we never get high quality photos of an unreleased product.

Never.

sparkleytone
Jul 12, 2003, 04:48 PM
wow. im not really a fan of going with the cheese grater look on the LCD's, but this is definitely a design I can live with.

how well does this fall in line with other rumors??

edit: the more i look at it the sexier it gets. i wonder (if this is real) if its adjustable inside the metal frame?

bunge
Jul 12, 2003, 04:49 PM
Look like some fancy cut 'n paste lines on the bottom.

Kwyjibo
Jul 12, 2003, 04:54 PM
id like to get that background too

edesignuk
Jul 12, 2003, 04:56 PM
Looks nice, but also looks like a 3D model to me, C4D, Maya, Lightwave?

King Cobra
Jul 12, 2003, 04:57 PM
Instead of focusing on what is there, focus on what is not there.

The images of the monitors are fake because there is no place on the monitor to place a monitor light.

Peyote
Jul 12, 2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
Instead of focusing on what is there, focus on what is not there.

The images of the monitors are fake because there is no place on the monitor to place a monitor light.

WTF is a monitor light?

etoiles
Jul 12, 2003, 05:11 PM
I think it is fake, photoshopped, too.

King Cobra: very good point

plus the design is way to literal, not sure the design team would just copy paste elements from the G5. And the border is very distracting as well...

etoiles
Jul 12, 2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Peyote
WTF is a monitor light?

ooops, you are right. The Apple LCD screens don't have a light...

but there is no Apple logo on the screens ! I think that gives it away...

Kwyjibo
Jul 12, 2003, 05:19 PM
maybe these are the new formac displays

eyelikeart
Jul 12, 2003, 05:27 PM
looks like some decent rendered images... ;)

still...they match nicely..and it's better than some of the crap I've seen in the past...

NNO-Stephen
Jul 12, 2003, 05:31 PM
maybe the Apple logo is on the back...

I could live with those though. but the cheese grater look is kinda overdone a bit... but still sexy.

Goblin2099
Jul 12, 2003, 05:31 PM
Definitely a 3D render, but it's a pity, those are really nice.

astray
Jul 12, 2003, 05:38 PM
This is not a 3d render, but is actually clever manipulation of the g5 image in photoshop to make a monitor. If you look the main part of the screen is just a stretched g5 case. Looks nice nonetheless.

astray

Goblin2099
Jul 12, 2003, 05:42 PM
Does anyone recognize that background image? I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it before.

And now that I think about it, doesn't it seem a little fishy that it's a screenshot of Jaguar, not Panther? (look at dock...wrong Finder icon and the old iChat)

Rower_CPU
Jul 12, 2003, 05:43 PM
I think Apple would have refreshed the monitors at the same time as they introduced the G5s if they were planning on doing so in the immediate future.

Why push G5 sales and most likely the sales of the older monitors or 3rd party displays if you've got new stuff waiting in the wings?

el_aarono
Jul 12, 2003, 05:46 PM
I have some cookie sheets that look just like those! They make a mean chocolate chip. :)

bennetsaysargh
Jul 12, 2003, 05:47 PM
that's mighty purdy if you ask me. too bad they're renderings. plus, aple would most likely use a default apple background.

i want one.

astray
Jul 12, 2003, 05:49 PM
As per my earlier thread, this is what i mean, i hope this is proof enough. look closely, and you'll see it's a photoshop fake. ;)

edited to clarify: Look at the highlights on the corners they are perfectly identical.. too perfect to be real, though you may note the top left corner is quite identical, i bleieve this is due to the perspective transformation applied to it in photoshop.. Also the perspective is a bit off.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 12, 2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by astray
As per my earlier thread, this is what i mean, i hope this is proof enough. look closely, and you'll see it's a photoshop fake. ;)

edited to clarify: Look at the highlights on the corners they are perfectly identical.. too perfect to be real. Also the perspective is a bit off.

awsome catch! it's something like that that puts people above others in skills.

SlimHades
Jul 12, 2003, 06:36 PM
It looks like a well-done Photoshop lift from the G5 photography. That said:

Apple product photography is Photoshopped about as much as your Victoria's Secret catalogs; look at the product shots of the aluminum PowerBooks and tell me if they look like real, physical objects to you.

I'd expect a new desktop pattern on the new hardware, also to be included with Panther. Last year, Jaguar's default desktop debuted on the 17" iMac.

Official product photography has leaked before; I remember people swearing up and down that the Cube was fake.

And finally, Apple's PR dept would have received the new desktop to show off on the new systems, but wouldn't be running the Panther Developer Preview[/b].

Anyway, if given the choice, which would you choose, the Lucite or the aluminum enclosure?

King Cobra
Jul 12, 2003, 06:43 PM
Peyote, etoiles, a monitor light is a light that is covered by the surface of the monitor and resides near the power button of the monitor (if applicable). Older Apple monitors have it, such as my ref. 15 inch LCD, and my father's 21 inch CRT.

Green = active, on
Yellow = standby

Abstract
Jul 12, 2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by astray
This is not a 3d render, but is actually clever manipulation of the g5 image in photoshop to make a monitor. If you look the main part of the screen is just a stretched g5 case. Looks nice nonetheless.

astray

Yes, that's my guess too.

Great minds think alike. :D Too bad for you, you think like me.

cc bcc
Jul 12, 2003, 06:52 PM
If you check the iPod "photos" on http://www.apple.com/pr/products/ you'll see that those are actually 3d renders. I think Apple does that with all products.
This monitor is obviously fake as other people reported here, though nicely done. It's photoshopped from the G5 case, which is also rendered by Apple, not a photo! So it's a photoshopped render. ;)

szark
Jul 12, 2003, 07:04 PM
I tend to believe these are fake images.

Regarding the "monitor light" (which is a solid/blinking white LED on the new flat-panel displays): It could easily be placed behind the mesh in such a design if it were real.

LimeLite
Jul 12, 2003, 07:20 PM
These are for sure fake. You can find them on Spymac under the Computer Concept Design section:
Here's one. (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=40033&papass=&sort=1&thecat=502) And another. (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=40031&papass=&sort=1&thecat=502)
There are more somewhere on the site, but you get the idea.

In addition, that background image used on the monitor is also found on Spymac. I use it myself. It's located here. (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=39393&papass=&sort=1&thecat=502)

Kwyjibo
Jul 12, 2003, 07:25 PM
they were posted on spymac today...its not like this was 2months ago or anything. I doubt they are real but i think they look awesome and kinda hope the new ones are simialr to that. I also wonder where the usb/and maybe fw hub is

thx for the background i'd love to see it different colors/shades tho too

jzieske
Jul 12, 2003, 07:32 PM
If the new cinema displays looked like that I would get one. Unfourtanetly I tend to agree that are fake.

evil
Jul 12, 2003, 07:46 PM
fake and a bit fugly if you ask me.

pretentious
Jul 12, 2003, 08:21 PM
Fake, but cool looking.

Its missing one thing though, it's missing a mount for the iSight. It's one thing that I would think that Apple would include built in to their newest moniters. If this was the new moniters I couldn't even use current mounts that come in the iSight box, and that would be a bad thing.

e-coli
Jul 12, 2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by SlimHades
Apple product photography is Photoshopped about as much as your Victoria's Secret catalogs; look at the product shots of the aluminum PowerBooks and tell me if they look like real, physical objects to you.

Almost all of Apple's product "photography" are 3D models.

Anywho, these "G5 Displays" are far too complicated and visually complex to pair with the G5.

Fakes. 100%

tlogb
Jul 12, 2003, 08:51 PM
photos = fake... rendering/photoshop... monitor light?, is that what the goofy multi-colored button is on the left hand side of my monitor is for?!?:D

Freg3000
Jul 12, 2003, 09:02 PM
I think they look great. Too bad they aren't real.

HybridTheory
Jul 12, 2003, 09:28 PM
Huh, I actually have that background featured in the fake monitor right now. It's called MysticBlue and can be found here: http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.asp?searchtext=mystic+blue&sort=updatedate&order=Descending&library=8

Enjoy!

Wardofsky
Jul 12, 2003, 10:03 PM
You can see either way.

They look okay, the background image on the first pic is somehow what Apple would choose (for Panther).

They could be easily faked, the mesh/handles may be a bit too much as far as being with the G5.

The background is black which now is the new standard for Apple PowerMac ads...

Mac Kiwi
Jul 12, 2003, 10:12 PM
The feet even have the same highlights,and look like they would break off if the monitor had any adjustment at all.

Stu.

technocoy
Jul 12, 2003, 10:56 PM
they would tip over, look closely. and i seriously doubt apple would let that happen so easily. nice fakes though...

e-coli
Jul 13, 2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by HybridTheory
Huh, I actually have that background featured in the fake monitor right now. It's called MysticBlue and can be found here: http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.asp?searchtext=mystic+blue&sort=updatedate&order=Descending&library=8

Enjoy!

nail in the coffin. they're fake.

drastik
Jul 13, 2003, 01:48 AM
They are fake based only on the handles. A monitor does not need handles like that. If apple design says anything, its "form follows function". Handles on the powermac makes since, on the monitor, not so much.

jbomber
Jul 13, 2003, 02:36 AM
fake, but nicely rendered.

evidence point 1: visible lack of clear iSight mount.

evidence point 2: the rendering bears uncanny resemblance to the G5 in a handful of places as has been pointed out by some others.

evidence point 3: the most damning evidence of all is that Apple legal hasn't pulled them down, and made arn issue a formal apology.

i don't think apple's really going to do a whole lot of revampint the look of the monitors. at least not yet. i think the next revision will be something small, and then a later revision will make them look like whatever the rev b G5s look like. i dunno if apple is totally willing to gamble on the 'cheese grater approach' for all it's items.

LimeLite
Jul 13, 2003, 06:12 AM
Do people just post before reading the all of the posts there first? There are always 3 or 4 people in every post who say the exact same thing and think they're the first to say it.

MetallicPenguin
Jul 13, 2003, 08:03 AM
Yeah I think it is definitely a fake, a shame though. I've had that desktop probably over a year now.

thebossisback
Jul 13, 2003, 09:02 AM
Those are very ugly. Dont you think alot of light would leak through those holes??

MrMacMan
Jul 13, 2003, 09:18 PM
Yeah its a fake but it looks stunning!

:)

noverflow
Jul 13, 2003, 09:43 PM
As for the handles, they would be needed if the monitor tilted in the frame... that would be awesome also.

Kwyjibo
Jul 13, 2003, 10:02 PM
everyone is right when they say they don't follow the adjustable rumors especially like that appleinsider story.

AppleMatt
Jul 14, 2003, 05:10 AM
Right well we've all established they're fake (over and over), now a few questions/speculations for the real Apple displays...

- Built-in iSight mount? Just click iSight into the top?
- Monitor light? How? I don't think Apple would just shine it through the mesh,
- Resolutions? LCD manufacturers?

AppleMatt

Mr. Anderson
Jul 14, 2003, 06:37 AM
They look fake to me, but very nicely done. Wouldn't mind one like that either....

The debut still supposed to be MWNY?

D

bennetsaysargh
Jul 14, 2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
The debut still supposed to be MWNY?

D

well, the new powermacs public debut will be at MWNY this year, so if they are to have new displays, it would be a perfect time.

sacrilicious
Jul 14, 2003, 02:23 PM
Ugly. Apple is smarter than to overuse this cheese grater idea.

DGFan
Jul 14, 2003, 03:25 PM
I wish people would read all the posts before they respond. They write the same thing that other posts say and act like they're the first one to think of it!

:D

cc bcc
Jul 14, 2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by DGFan
I wish people would read all the posts before they respond. They write the same thing that other posts say and act like they're the first one to think of it!

:D

Yes, someone else mentioned this before you. Didn't you notice that when you read all the posts.. :D

Belgium
Jul 14, 2003, 03:38 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread.
If you want an already existing LCD that fits very nicely with the G5, check out Eyegonomic http://www.eyegonomic.com/page.dsp?page=188

If I could only afford that 24" one!

macphoria
Jul 14, 2003, 03:58 PM
I think the photo is fake and even if the design is for real, I think it doesn't look that good. The handle thing on top of the monitor looks redundant and looks odd. It could be really distracting while working. Plus, I don't think that design will work with iSight, because of the way you attach iSight to top of the current monitors.

Eniregnat
Jul 14, 2003, 04:09 PM
Where is the angle adjustment? It looks as though these screens have stationary feet.

As for the digitally rendered look, I have recently thought that some of Apple's product "photos" were digitally created. As some have noted, lack of reflections and other tell tail signs may point to this.

I don't think that these are the monitors, but mostly because of the lack of overt adjustability.

macmonger
Jul 14, 2003, 04:18 PM
Well here's another concept to pick apart.

http://www.mcvw.com/g5cinema.jpg

wink

Eniregnat
Jul 14, 2003, 05:01 PM
macmonger your concept is clever. I like how you used the G5 shape. The diffrence is that your's is a "mock up" and the other dosn't state where it came from. For my part, your's makes better use of the g5 design and is much more pleasing. I'm not happy with the top, it extends the cloned handles and dosn't make sense. I'm also not cool with the exposed USB/USB 2 ports.

MacFan25
Jul 14, 2003, 05:07 PM
They certainly look great, but I'm not sure if they are real or not. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple went with an Aluminum look on the next line of displays.

Eniregnat
Jul 14, 2003, 05:10 PM
MacMonger this is what I though would look better.
The execution is poor as I am using M$ Paint and Word on a PC.http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=419988

LimeLite
Jul 14, 2003, 05:11 PM
Also the new displays are veryunlikely to have firewire ports on them. This would require a brand new display connector, which is unlikely.

macmonger
Jul 14, 2003, 05:33 PM
Hi folks and thanks for the comments!

Eniregnat, I like what you did on the top!

I had planned to have the iSight fill the empty area at the top. Pull up on it and swivel around. However I'm new to Photoshop and it didn't turn out quite as I planned. Hopefully I'll get better.

I figured the FW port was a bit much, but hey, new monitor. Why not? There could always be a two headed connector at the CPU end. I thought the USB on front would be a welcome feature for those that don't want to reach around. I could go either way on that. Maybe a full 1/4" phones jack as well.

My final thought on the monitor was a keyboard that pulled out from between the bottom legs.

Just fantasy for sure, but it was a fun exercise. And as long as reality isn't an issue, I also made something for the Pro Tools users.

I call it the DigiMac...

http://www.mcvw.com/MacRack.jpg

Photoshop could become a habit. ;)

wink

iEric
Jul 14, 2003, 08:05 PM
I dont care wether the photo is fake or not, but wow thats pretty nice. I hope they do something like that. That will make my opinion about the G5 case totally different.

tjwett
Jul 14, 2003, 09:24 PM
obviously fake but VERY cool. i wish these would come to reality. the display line needs some major updates and improvements and these looks awesome. i think they absolutely MUST match the Power Mac line, all the other Macs have monitors already. it's important for the PMs to match the display.

QCassidy352
Jul 14, 2003, 09:46 PM
macmonger, I like yours a lot. The original concept arn posted is ugly, IMHO, because of the silly handles.

ciphex
Jul 17, 2003, 11:04 AM
See the left hand side of the viewable screen?
see how dark it is at the edge where the screen meets the case?
if the light was coming from the top right as it seems to be then there would be no shadow there... and even if there was a shadow there.... look at the top... the shadow does not overlap the menubar... it disappears...

definitely a fake.

~John

AngryAngel
Jul 17, 2003, 11:10 AM
Both these monitor concepts are unoriginal and (in the case of the original photos posted) very cluttered. The G5 tower is neither of these- why would they change how they designed for the new monitors (if they ever turn up)?

I would expect something more along the line of the new Samsung 17"- see 'good monitor' thread.

acj
Jul 17, 2003, 03:40 PM
It also seems that the handle is a long thin, too easily bendable piece of metal.

I am anxiously waiting for the anouncement of the new monitor! I get a free box when it comes out(Unfortunately it will undoubtably be emtpy)

mixoplex
Jul 18, 2003, 01:31 PM
Yeah, the monitors look good though..I guess the cinema displays will drop in price.