PDA

View Full Version : Macwhisper PB G5 info... :-/

ZildjianKX
Jul 12, 2003, 05:34 PM
We continue to be cautious in our Powerbook reports, as we have recently depended heavily on what has turned out to have been an unreliable OEM source for key information. However, what information we have gathered from more trusted sources confirms that the upcoming new G5 Powerbook is using the Chi Mei 15.4-inch panel we have previously discussed. Between now and then, it seems that the existing TiBook enclosure will be continued, around a "substantial" G4 based feature overhaul. If this surprising story of a Ti-Look "bridge model" is actually true, we could see this revamped machine any day now... and would not see a new "aluminum look" mid-size Powerbook until the next model release. It appears that the entire Powerbook lineup is aimed toward a January 2004 refresh, with all three models (and, perhaps a fourth model) moving to the G5 simultaneously, at that time. We are attempting to second source this report. But, it is at least a solid possibility that not only is no G5 mid-size Powerbook knocking at the door, but that the new model will not even pick up the anodized aluminum styling of its smaller and larger siblings.

We'll know if its true or not right away if the next 15" that comes out is really a TiBook... hmmmm...

jzieske
Jul 12, 2003, 07:36 PM
Lets remeber it is from MacWhispers. Seems doubtful to me, we will find out soon I guess.

Flowbee
Jul 12, 2003, 07:48 PM
I don't think Arn is even putting macwhispers 'rumors' on page 2 anymore. That should give you some idea of how accurate they've been in the past.

ZildjianKX
Jul 12, 2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Flowbee
I don't think Arn is even putting macwhispers 'rumors' on page 2 anymore. That should give you some idea of how accurate they've been in the past.

LoL, great point. Its just interesting since we'll probably be able to tell if macwhispers is TOTALLY wrong by next week or so when the 15" hits.

Aciddan
Jul 13, 2003, 04:49 PM
According to own 'sources' macwhispers has taken a teeny weeny slice of news and blown it up into another pb g5 story...

* The tiny piece of truth is that the TiBook may be around for a while longer - the Al is ready to go and be announced, but what do you do with all those spare TiBook cases?

Given what I have learned re: pb's - an appearance at MWCP would be a surprise... I don't think we will see them until Panther is released (or at least September).

I hope/wish I am wrong - the wife has given me the stamp of approval on upgrading to the 17" :D

-- Dan :D

chewbaccapits
Jul 13, 2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
LoL, great point. Its just interesting since we'll probably be able to tell if macwhispers is TOTALLY wrong by next week or so when the 15" hits.

If at this point you haven't realized that Macwhispers is full of it, I doubt next week would make a difference for you.....

ZildjianKX
Jul 13, 2003, 05:27 PM
Yeah, honestly there will probably be no PB news next week... *yawn*

QCassidy352
Jul 13, 2003, 05:50 PM
Yeah, honestly there will probably be no PB news next week... *yawn*

how, I ask you, can they do this? The 15" is so overdue for an update that it's almost like a joke at this point. The 15" model should have been updated with BT, AE, Al casing, etc. within weeks of MWSF if it was going to take them this long to do a real update.

I have kept thinking that the reason they weren't doing the bare minimum to make the 15" comparable to the 12" and the 17" was that something major was coming. But now, no G5, and maybe not even a switch to the new casing?? If they were only going to do a mini revision, it should not have taken 8 months.

hvfsl
Jul 13, 2003, 06:02 PM
This subject has been discussed to death, this is what will most likely happen:

-New 15ins at Create or MY Paris.
-12in and 17in will also be updated at the same time or at least close to the time of the 15in being released.
-There are not going to be any G5 chips in PBs for at least a year
-The new PowerBooks will come with Radeon 9600M for top of the range and Radeon 9000M or Geforce 5200GO for botton.
-They can't be any faster than 1.33Ghz due to heat issues with the G4.
-They should all have 167Mhz bus and DDR 333 RAM
-Possible support for 5.1 sound like the G5 Macs
-And of cource Airport extreme, USB2, bluetooth and Firewire 800 will be included
-2MB L3 cache in the 15in and 17in, 512KB to 1MB in 12in

-However some people say Apple might move from PCMCIA expansion slots to mini PCI.

Dreamail
Jul 13, 2003, 06:24 PM
hvfsl, I hear what you're saying and those are probably the most likely specs.
But a 15" PB like that takes Apple, what, 7 months? Shame on Apple. :mad:

Apart from the Mobile Radion 9600 they could have done that in January. Are they stalling?

What a yawner of a PowerBook that will be...

QCassidy352
Jul 13, 2003, 07:05 PM
actually, I think those specs sound pretty good. but I do agree with dreamail that since there will be no g5, these should have been released looong ago.

ZildjianKX
Jul 13, 2003, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure if they're delaying this model so long since it may be the last G4 model... who knows... hope it has a 15.4" screen and the Radeon 9600 though... 2X DVD-R/W wouldn't hurt (and faster CD-R/W speeds).

80 gig 5400 RPM drive wouldn't be too bad either...

bennetsaysargh
Jul 13, 2003, 11:36 PM
i think when the PB gets a case change is when it moves to a G5. just like the powermacs (MDD to G5), and the origional iMac (G3 to G4). the iBooks were an exception, but that was because apple was drifting away from the fruitiness.:p

MacQuest
Jul 14, 2003, 04:50 AM
I think that hardware announcements [specifically the 15" PB] before or on Wednesday are totally realistic because:

1. [duh] It's been over 8 months since a revision.

2. Greg Joswiak, Hardware Dude in charge of desktops and portables is giving the keynote.

3. MOST IMPORTANT: Apple will be giving it's Q3 Quarterly earnings report that same afternoon at 2:30pm PT.

I think that they would use that opportunity to further publicize the new release.

You know, "3rd quarter earnings down for PowerMac sales but with the intro. of the new G5...blah, blah, blah..and as you know this week/today we released the new version of our most popular pro laptop, the 15" PowerBook...blah, blah, blah...iTunes Music store and iPod sales through the roof...blah, blah, blah...iSight sales phenomenal...blah, blah, blah."

BLAH!

bennetsaysargh
Jul 14, 2003, 10:21 AM
well, it was a long and hard 9 months before the new iPods came out, so waiting for one product that a lot of people are waiting for has ben done with the iPods.

Lyle
Jul 14, 2003, 01:56 PM
It's just interesting since we'll probably be able to tell if macwhispers is TOTALLY wrong by next week or so when the 15" hits.As ZildjianKX has probably already read, MacWhispers (http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/comments.php?id=153_0_4_0_C) doesn't even believe it's saying anymore. Posted last night: "I'll go ahead and state for the record that I think my sources on this mid-size Powerbook are probably crud. I can't get specific, but they're not direclt in the production loop, they're new to me, and I haven't a clue as to how reliable anything is that they tell me on this particular issue".
ThinkSecret (http://thinksecret.com/news/mwny03booth.html) is also now speculating that since Apple's booth at MWNY is "wide open", we shouldn't expect any big surprise announcements from Joswiak during his presentation on Wednesday.

ZildjianKX
Jul 15, 2003, 12:47 AM
Yeah, I laughed my ass off when he responded to me with that on his site, lol.

Abstract
Jul 15, 2003, 03:02 AM
Apple isn't stupid. They know that a 15" PB update is long overdue. But why is it that they don't just spontaneously update the 15" PB?? They could have done it at any time, since the Alu PB design isn't considered a major announcement (we've had them for 7 months now). There must be a reason behind all this. It isn't very difficult for Apple to get a new case for their 15" model. It really isn't. Steve must have something up his sleeve. Otherwise, the 15" Alu PB would have been released by now.

scifi451
Jul 15, 2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Abstract
Apple isn't stupid. They know that a 15" PB update is long overdue. But why is it that they don't just spontaneously update the 15" PB?? They could have done it at any time, since the Alu PB design isn't considered a major announcement (we've had them for 7 months now). There must be a reason behind all this. It isn't very difficult for Apple to get a new case for their 15" model. It really isn't. Steve must have something up his sleeve. Otherwise, the 15" Alu PB would have been released by now.

That seems like the most logical explanation of why it is taking them so long! The only real big surprise I can think of for a new laptop is G5 which we have to wait until January at least, so if it is that why wait OVER a year to update the 15" inch? You could have released one update to keep the line fresh....

Another possibility is they are going to a totally new design seems unlikely since they came out with the new Al design in Jan of 03.

Other than that I have no idea why it is taking them so long to update it!