Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngryAngel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2003
I've been looking for any reports that anyone has seen a single processor G5 yet (either 1.6 or 1.8GHz). The closest thing I've come to knowing how they compare with the insides of the dual is on page 70 of the preliminary G5 developer's pdf.

It shows that the processor is located at the top of the RAM/Processor compartment, and that there are two RAM slots at both the top and bottom of the compartment. I gues the RAM slots are like that to make it harder for people to put the pairs of DIMMs in wrongly.

Does anyone know it there are still two fans in front of the processor (and behind, at the back of the unit too)?

If the rumors (on page 2 at the moment) are true about the single processor models coming out first, isn't it odd that all the units seen so far are duals?

Chef Ramen

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2002
interesting observation. maybe they think that the duals look better (with the big boxes inside saying G50

AngryAngel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2003
I thought I would include the picture from the pdf that I mentioned in my first post. I was also thinking of doing a mock-up of a 1.6Ghz from the dual's photo... but I haven't been bother to yet.

Attachments

• picture-2.gif
    picture-2.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 195

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I would think that there are two fans, too, because the RAM could also need some cooling and there will be one at the back, so the cooling zone will already be there. But I wonder if there's a big gap where the second proc is missing and how this will look like. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.