PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon had no detailed plans for postwar Iraq: report

zimv20
Jul 13, 2003, 01:40 AM
link (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20030712/wl_mideast_afp/us_iraq_planning_030712203317)

confirming what many already assumed:

Pentagon planners failed to develop detailed plans for postwar Iraq because they were convinced Iraqis would welcome US troops and that a hand-picked exile leader would replace Saddam Hussein and impose order.

Civilian planners at the Pentagon's secretive Office of Special Plans hoped to transform Iraq into an ally of Israel, remove a potential threat to the oil trade in the region and encircle Iran with US friends and allies, the report said.

It also quoted officials describing efforts by that office to sideline and disregard other US government departments' planning for a postwar Iraq.

the Pentagon ignored the "Future of Iraq" project, an eight-month effort by the State Department involving 17 agencies and dozens of exiled Iraqi professionals.

Officials in the Pentagon's Near East/South Asia bureau, which houses the Office of Special Plans, were told to ignore State Department views, according to Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Karen Kwiatkowski, who retired from the bureau July 1.

Ugg
Jul 13, 2003, 02:11 AM
I have lost faith in Colin Powell for allowing this to happen. I've always felt that he was a morally upright man but now I'm not so sure. Politics can destroy the best of men I guess.

I hope that the Pentagon's nose gets bloodied for this one. Rummy and Wolfowitz have gone too far and too and many Iraqis have paid with their lives. The very real threat of a long-term unstable Iraq is going to haunt them both for a long time. I wonder how gw is going to weasel out of this one and who will be his scapegoat?

pseudobrit
Jul 13, 2003, 08:04 AM
They screwed up. Plain and simple.

They screwed up and thousands of people are going to die because of it.

This administration needs to be aborted.

mcrain
Jul 16, 2003, 10:38 AM
Where are the people who were making a big fuss and were defending the US pre-war planning when people suggested it was flawed at best, or non-existent at worst?

Where are you now?

3rdpath
Jul 17, 2003, 12:29 AM
must've slipped their minds while they were handing out the post-war construction contracts to cheney's teat halliburton.

edit: today's AOL poll:

Do you think the U.S. has a clear plan for post-war Iraq?

79% No _
21% Yes _
Total votes: 584,559