Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tennismanclay

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
US-Texas
okay so today i upgraded to parallels 3.0, i have been using parallels 2 for a while and am familiar with it. Once i got it running i noticed that if i wanted to edit my virtual machine (windows xp home) to have more ram it would not let me, it simply says that the maximum ram is 264mb, i thought you could get more ram than this?

Secondly i tried running halo 1 through parallels, after i got it installed i started it up and i got this message.

It says that A problem occured initializing DirectDraw. Hardware acceleration maybe disabled, please run DXDIAG.

It gives me a machine info saying 616mhz and 272mb???

I just thought parallels 3 could do games... Or is there just step i missed in installing?

any help is appreciated

Clay

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 104

tennismanclay

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
US-Texas
Halo requires DirectX 9, Parallels only supports DirectX 8

o... danget

Well even tho i guess now it wont work i guess i will explain what i did a few minutes ago. I put a setting to activate direct x and then i loaded up halo again and it worked, i got to the main window and the background was there but no words, so it didnt work.... it also screwed up my resolution after i quit it...

Anybody know any good DirectX 8 games???

Thx, Clay

user13

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
Anybody know any good DirectX 8 games???

Thx, Clay
A list from the Parallels 3d support page (they are tested and are said to be working well):
* Alien Arena 2007
* Baldur’s Gate 2
* Bus Driver
* Call of Duty
* Counter Strike 1.6
* Descent 3
* Doom 3
* Dungeon Siege 2
* Far Cry
* GORE – Ultimate Soldier
* Half Life 1
* Half Life 2
* Hitman Codename 47
* Hitman Silent Assassin
* Hitman Contracts
* IL-2 Shturmovik
* King Pin
* Max Payne
* Max Payne 2
* Neverball
* Prey
* Quake 1 GL
* Quake 2
* Quake 3
* Quake 4
* Return to Castle Wolfenstein
* Scorched 3D
* Serious Sam
* Serious Sam – the Second Encounter
* SiN
* Tribes
* Unreal Tournament 2003
* Warcraft 3
* Worms 3D
The list is bigger in fact, these are only tested ones.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I do believe a lot of those games actually require DX9. I hadn't seen any details, but all of the DX8 games i had tried worked and the 2 DX9 games i had tried didn't. Anyway, I'm glad it has a nice list of games!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
the max memory is not 264mb, you have to go into preferences and change the max memory in there, and then you can change the max memry on individual vm's. this can allow you to beef it up to 1gb if u have enuf, tho i wouldnt recommend it!!!!!(depending on ur system)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.