PDA

View Full Version : Fantom Firewire CD/RW

utilizer
Jul 13, 2003, 10:56 AM
I'm going to go ahead and order a new CD-writer, but needed info first on the reliability record of the Fantom Firewire CD/RW on the Mac, specifically the Pismo with an upgrade card.
TIA

sparkleytone
Jul 13, 2003, 11:45 AM
www.xlr8yourmac.com

sford
Jul 13, 2003, 01:09 PM
I just bought the 52X24X52 external fireware model (model number FCD52FWC....anyhow it came with Discribe -- which work well, my major disappointment was the lack of useability from other applications, iTunes 4 did not see a burner or software, iPhoto did not see a burner or software, the finder did not see a burner. I ran ASP - it saw the the drive but not as a writeable drive. I was hoping for a certain amount of OS compatiblity.....I am running a 550 TiBook with 256Mb OS X 10.2.6. I a'm returning it on Monday unless someone can show me a better way.....

Regards and good luck in whatever you decide.

Sean

Eniregnat
Jul 14, 2003, 11:29 AM
The organization I work for uses Fantom DVD drives exclusively. We primarily use type I 9.4 Gb DVD Ram cartridges. The drives work with just about any recordable media, CDR, CDRW, DVD, DVDR, DVDRAM, Mini CDR, etc... They have been on non-stop for about 2 years and havenít shown any problems. They like expensive media, that seems to thing that they are a little quirky with. They are also pricey compared to their counterparts.

The only draw back is that the plastic case attracts dust. This looks unsightly, especially around the door.

We have swapped them between PCs and Macs. No issues, less with Windows, which seems to be a little sketchy with the drivers and disk mounting.

For my personal CD writing, I have a USB QPS Que drive. It works well for me.