PDA

View Full Version : iPOD Firewire Power Draw (watts?)

methdxman
Jul 13, 2003, 02:47 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew how many watts of firewire bus power the iPOD needed to charge properly?

I ask because I don't have a Mac notebook or desktop (I'm assuming it should charge just fine with those) but I'm looking into a PC Laptop that has a 6 pin firewire port... but the one in question only provides 12 V and 400ma, which I believe translates to 4.8 total watts, which SOUNDS a bit weak.

Anyone know for sure? Otherwise I guess FirewireDirect's FireWire 800 CardBus Adapter will do the trick because it provides up to 18 watts, and I don't think Macs (maybe with exception to the powerbook g4 17 and the g5's) even power that much.

Thanks for your help!

ZildjianKX
Jul 13, 2003, 03:05 PM
iPods come with firewire A/C adapters, so you can just plug it into the wall to charge it up if your laptop can't do the job.

methdxman
Jul 13, 2003, 03:26 PM
Yes but I'd rather use the dock station exclusively :)

Kwyjibo
Jul 13, 2003, 03:47 PM
from what i've read its best to charge an ipod via the ac adapter because if you leave it plugged into your mac the hard drive never spins down all the way as it does when charged thru the adapter. Just something to think about.

methdxman
Jul 17, 2003, 11:01 PM
is there anyway to charge the iPOD with an AC adapter while itīs sitting on its dock?

MacManDan
Jul 18, 2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by methdxman
is there anyway to charge the iPOD with an AC adapter while itīs sitting on its dock?

Yes, you just plug in the firewire cord into the AC adapter and then plug the AC adapter into the wall. It's essentially the same as plugging the firewire cable in directly from the iPod to the AC adapter. (it's the same cable)
[edit: but with using the AC adapter, you cannot plug in the firewire cable into the computer, so you are unable to sync unless you unplug it from the adapter and plug it in to your computer]