Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
yeah, the bit about the iMacs only being good for starting the "i-whatever" naming craze is complete BS.

i've had several iMacs, including one of the first tray-loading ones, and i've always felt that they were a wonderful, functional, and simple all-in-one solution, throughout the various styles. they've all been pieces of art to me.

everything else in that article...well, i'd kind of agree. :eek:

jamesybsu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
MSNBC is dumb, Microsoft must be paying them to put their story up. How can you be innovative without having some things go wrong?

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
One button mouse: Yeah, if you're going to explain the one button mouse thing why don't you show a real one button mouse? They show the newer model to make people think that Apple still uses the one button.

This is the picture they use.

Attachments

• 070627_apple1_hmed.standard.jpg
    070627_apple1_hmed.standard.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 685

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
MSNBC is dumb, Microsoft must be paying them to put their story up. How can you be innovative without having some things go wrong?

MS NBC, we know that already
msn nbc - M$ + NBC
just like Fox News + Rep...

And there will always be room for innovation. People will test if they like it or not. We don't have to like something just for a brand name.

stupid msnbc report

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Microsoft runs the web site only, NBC is in charge of the news. Plus MS wants out of the deal.

It does say this tho,
Despite this, Apple held out till 2005 before introducing a mouse that could sense right and left clicks. Simplicity is great, but sometimes, less really is less.
So that picture is accurate.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Now, now Fanbois. Apple has had their share of bad products. Quite frankly, given all this hype over the iPhone, nice to see something else written about Apple, even if it is negative.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Part of me wants to see the iPhone fail so Apple will be knocked back a few pegs and get back to computers.

Ok someone explain how they said the iMac wasn't a success.
The iMac, 1998. The iMac was by no means a miss. It was a great success, helping Apple recover some lost market share in the computer business. It demonstrated that Apple could get ahead with products that are both functional and look great.

But when was the last time you were excited about an iMac? The craze faded pretty fast, and the iMac’s greatest legacy may be the initial “i,” now associated mainly with the iPod, and a few landfills worth of peripherals in translucent plastic, which the iMac made obligatory for a while.
It would be nice if people would actually read the article not pick thru a few lines.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
But when was the last time you were excited about an iMac? The craze faded pretty fast, and the iMac’s greatest legacy may be the initial “i,” now associated mainly with the iPod, and a few landfills worth of peripherals in translucent plastic, which the iMac made obligatory for a while.

Of the things listed, this is really the only thing I take some issue with. I've been excited about each revision of the iMac, and still think it's the best value in Apple's product line. I think it captures a design aesthetic that numerous other companies have tried to match and, frankly, fail.

The other things in the list, eWorld, the Newton (which I think was a failure simply because it was SO far ahead of its time), the Cube (which I still think it's gorgeous, the ROKR, and the one-button mouse) are pretty fair. Those products didn't really do well for Apple.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
MS NBC, we know that already
msn nbc - M$ + NBC
just like Fox News + Rep...

stupid msnbc report

And stereotyping is even more stupid. It's obvious that most of the people that baselessly b*tch about MSNBC and Fox News all of the time have apparently never actually watched either one.

I've seen this grossly inaccurate article all over the internet at several news sites. The dumbest one is calling the "iTunes Phone" a miss. These morons don't even realize that those phones were made by Motorola, not Apple. :rolleyes:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
And stereotyping is even more stupid. It's obvious that most of the people that baselessly b*tch about ... Fox News all of the time have apparently never actually watched either one.

The thinking person doesn't have to watch for a year before forming an opinion. They are fairly clear and fairly consistent. If you like a little truth with your news every now and then, then it quickly becomes obvious that Fox News Channel is not the place for you.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
One Button Mouse - They say that the MS 2 button mouse was better, and then they show a pic of a Mighty Mouse. Talk about misinformed...

They probably didn't want to take the time or pay a royalty for a real picture of a one button mouse. I think they were referring as the picture is what they held out on until 2005, But this still in my opinion classifies as misdirection. One of my friends has the last revision iMac in PPC (iSight, 1.9ghz G5, I believe) and when I was helping him with Indesign CS3, he was complaining about the one button mouse macs still use. :) I steered him in the right direction to get him to see how good the mighty mouse is, but I don't let him live it down.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Part of me wants to see the iPhone fail so Apple will be knocked back a few pegs and get back to computers.

Ok someone explain how they said the iMac wasn't a success.It would be nice if people would actually read the article not pick thru a few lines.

The part about the last time people were excited about the iMac. That was the talk before the iPhone.

We eagerly await the next version...

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Ok someone explain how they said the iMac wasn't a success.It would be nice if people would actually read the article not pick thru a few lines.

as you posted above (from the article):

i read every word, thankyouverymuch...and that was the part i had an issue with. :) it's not that they said the iMac wasn't a success....it's just that the way they did it was a terrible "backhanded compliment" sort of thing.

there are always going to be mistakes and misses, but the original iMac was not one of them and did not deserve to be in that list, IMHO.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It never said that the original iMac was a failure, it said that the hype for it died after a few years. I think that is true, I really could care less about the iMac, I would never buy one.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
iMacs were the foundation for Apple's turnaround. Period. After Jobs, that is.

Now they're powerful computers that are the equal of any equivalent PC out there. We should all be so fortunate to "flop" like the iMac apparently did.

jarednt1

macrumors member
May 2, 2005
Msnbc=dnc

FoxNews a mouth peice for republicans, lol.

MSNBC is purley a mouth peace for the DNC and all the cooky blogs.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I like the one button mouse...forced me to learn keyboard shortcuts.

iTunes for Cell Phones failed, becasue Apple stupid 100 Song limit, and it only being on 3 phones.

iMac was a hit, and still is. It should not be in that list.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It seems a bit of a hatchet job but AP is probably upset about something Apple.

May Wong usually writes technology pieces poorly, so I'd suspect that she's done this slide show of mis-information.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I like the one button mouse...forced me to learn keyboard shortcuts.

iTunes for Cell Phones failed, becasue Apple stupid 100 Song limit, and it only being on 3 phones.

iMac was a hit, and still is. It should not be in that list.

how dare ANYONE learn keyboard shortcuts, thats just ridiculous! I am outraged by this "learning" thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.