Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Can you tell me an easy way to get tiffs from photoshop to Illustrator with regard in retaining transparency. Ideally I'd like to export my photoshop file with the image on a transparent background, but flat so the file size is low. I'm running CS2.

At the moment I have to draw a path in photoshop, export it separately and then scale and apply it as a mask.

Thanks

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Can you tell me an easy way to get tiffs from photoshop to Illustrator with regard in retaining transparency. Ideally I'd like to export my photoshop file with the image on a transparent background, but flat so the file size is low. I'm running CS2.

At the moment I have to draw a path in photoshop, export it separately and then scale and apply it as a mask.

Thanks

Export it as an EPS. This will keep the transparency.

export is as a PNG?

PNG is good for web not for print if thats what s/he is doing this for.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
If someone needs to import something into illustrator, I assume they were vectorizing (tracing the image) which means a TIFF, regardless of losslessness, doesnt matter.

png is an easy way to get transparency/masking info.

.eps is bloated vector

ac6789

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
If you have to use TIFF or EPS your only option is to use an EPS file with a clipping mask to maintain transparency information.

Of if it's acceptable, you can import the PhotoShop file into illustrator and maintain transparency that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.