PDA

View Full Version : One third of US teens victimised by 'cyber-bullies'

BoyBach
Jun 28, 2007, 02:02 PM
Cyber-bullying gathers pace in US

One third of US online teenagers have been victims of cyber-bullying according to research by the Pew Internet Project.

The most common complaint from teens was about private information being shared rather than direct threats.

Girls were more likely than boys to be targets and teens who share their identities online are the most vulnerable, the survey found.

But teenagers still think that the majority of bullying happens offline.

Some 32% of teenagers questioned had experienced one of more of the following: having a private e-mail, IM or text messaging forwarded or posted where others could see it, the victim of an aggressive email, IM or text message, having a rumour spread about them online or having an embarrassing photograph posted online without permission.

One 16-year-old girl said: "There's this boy in my anatomy class who everybody hates and some girl started up this I Hate [Name] MySpace thing. So everybody in school goes on it to say bad things about this boy."

The survey attempted to find out why teenagers go online to bully.

"Bullying has entered the digital age. The impulses behind it are the same, but the effect is magnified. In the past, the materials of bullying would have been whispered, shouted or passed around.

"Now, with a few clicks, a photo, video or a conversation can be shared with hundreds via e-mail or millions through a website, online profile or blog posting," concluded report author Amanda Lenhart.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6245798.stm

http://www.pewinternet.org/pdfs/PIP%20Cyberbullying%20Memo.pdf

I wonder if these US numbers of 'cyber-bulling' are indicative of the levels throughout the world?

imac/cheese
Jun 28, 2007, 04:11 PM
I actually heard an advertisement on the radio the other day about cyber-bullying. It had a young teen girl insulting another teen about her clothes, style, make-up, etc and ended with a narrator stating, "If you wouldn't say it in person, don't say it online." or something to that effect.

rdowns
Jun 28, 2007, 04:27 PM
To me , this is a parenting issue. Get the damn computers out of kids bedrooms and find out what the hell you kid is doing and what sites they are visiting.

mattscott306
Jun 28, 2007, 04:50 PM
To me , this is a parenting issue. Get the damn computers out of kids bedrooms and find out what the hell you kid is doing and what sites they are visiting.

Thats what my parents did for the first 17 years of my life.

I think most parents I knew growing up didn't care, or didn't wanna know what their kids were doing online. I imagine more parents feel this way as time goes on.

Lazy ass parents are a huge problem.

MacNut
Jun 28, 2007, 05:06 PM
Online didn't exist when I was growing up. I don't get the online bully thing, why not just sign off or something?

rdowns
Jun 28, 2007, 05:21 PM
Thats what my parents did for the first 17 years of my life.

Well, it should work in most instances.

OutThere
Jun 28, 2007, 06:31 PM
Just further thinning of kids skins. Meh. I think that, while a lot of bullying is bad, kids have to learn to deal with some things on their own...I mean it's not like there aren't bullies in the real world. What's going to happen to kids whose lives are entirely sheltered from bullies when they step into reality as adults? :rolleyes:

zioxide
Jun 28, 2007, 06:49 PM
wtf. Kids are such whiny bitches these days. Everyone is so sensitive to everyones feelings and ****. ****ing emos.

ghall
Jun 28, 2007, 08:17 PM
You are all ugly! You suck! Get a life! :mad:

...okay, I was joking guys.

KD7IWP
Jun 28, 2007, 10:36 PM

...okay, I was joking guys.

That made me laugh:p

OutThere
Jun 28, 2007, 10:47 PM

I'm going to go cry to my mommy now! I need a therapist, I can't deal with online bullies like you who hurt my feelings.

ErikCLDR
Jun 28, 2007, 11:44 PM
Give me a break.

Can I please move to a country where they don't find this to be a big deal.

Some people are too sensitive and need to be slapped. Good thing humans are not like other animals- where if you cry about everything you'll be left to die or something will eat you.

Have I been cyber bullied, probably, do I care, no.

Anyone that has siblings or has left their house has been bullied before.

Edit: I would also like to mention that due to "anti-bullying law" people that really need the ***** beat out of them, can't. Its really quite a shame. For example, there is this complete, quintessential nerd/dork/loser at my school (I think he may become a serial killer some day, he's already tried to strangle a kid for accidentally knocking over his binder, it really was an accident). Anyways this kid talks crap about people- like calling a kid fat and the teacher do nothing because they know everyone hates him and they think he is constantly made fun of. When people threaten to beat him up he just encourages them to do so knowing that they won't do it because they'll get in trouble.

iToaster
Jun 29, 2007, 01:44 AM
Give me a break.

Can I please move to a country where they don't find this to be a big deal.

Some people are too sensitive and need to be slapped. Good thing humans are not like other animals- where if you cry about everything you'll be left to die or something will eat you.

Have I been cyber bullied, probably, do I care, no.

Anyone that has siblings or has left their house has been bullied before.

Edit: I would also like to mention that due to "anti-bullying law" people that really need the ***** beat out of them, can't. Its really quite a shame. For example, there is this complete, quintessential nerd/dork/loser at my school (I think he may become a serial killer some day, he's already tried to strangle a kid for accidentally knocking over his binder, it really was an accident). Anyways this kid talks crap about people- like calling a kid fat and the teacher do nothing because they know everyone hates him and they think he is constantly made fun of. When people threaten to beat him up he just encourages them to do so knowing that they won't do it because they'll get in trouble.

Oh, but just wait until someone snaps. He'll get what's coming to him. Anyway, I really don't care what anyone thinks of me. They can make fun of my clothes or whatnot, but I don't give a *expletive* because they can hate me, and I don't care, 'cause I can hate them too, although I prefer to be neutral about it: Kid: I hate you. Me: Ok, you do that. Anyway, it's good to know we men have an advantage for not having feelings:D:D

SkyBell
Jun 29, 2007, 02:06 AM
Online didn't exist when I was growing up. I don't get the online bully thing, why not just sign off or something?

I'm growing up in the "MySpace" Generation. I don't see the problem either. If someones insulting me, I blow it off, block them or leave the game, whatever it Is im doing.

teflon
Jun 29, 2007, 02:52 AM

Well if someone bullies you in real life, you can walk away too, but the damage has already been done. And its not just IM, on Facebook, Myspace and alike, people can leave nasty comments for everyone to see. Unless you're logged on 24/7 and check your comments constantly, you won't be able to delete in time to prevent everyone from seeing. You know how it is in high school, if one person sees it, you might as well as announced it on the PA. People can also spam your email with hateful emails, or post up undesirable pictures/videos of you. I'm sure there are many other ways too.

Jasonbot
Jun 29, 2007, 04:34 AM
Some guy at my school was expelled recently for cyber-bullying. This is a pretty serious issue IMO. Oh, and this wasn't in the US so ja, cyber bullying is universal.

bmb012
Jun 29, 2007, 03:19 PM
Isn't that what reporting groups is for? I mean, facebook has that, doesn't myspace...?

topgunn
Jun 29, 2007, 03:27 PM
What ever happened to the gold old days where you would take your beating behind the dumpster and stumble on? Kids today.

blitzkrieg79
Jun 29, 2007, 03:52 PM
Can't we all just get along? :p Anyway, people these days will make a big deal out of the smallest possible thing, hey, maybe there is a lawsuit in there so I can make some easy money. When I was a teenager there were bullies but the trick to it was to survive on your own (or with a pack of your friends) and just go on with your life. Anyway, as some people already mentioned before, it all really starts at home, parents neglect their kids these days which is not a good thing, kids need positive guidance, of course I am not talking about some fascist regime at home but some discipline would help out a great deal, and this goes to bullies and non-bullies :p

baggss
Jun 29, 2007, 03:53 PM

I recently had to do this with my 17 year old daughter. She still has the computer in her room, just no more on-line access. I had been monitoring her regularly for some years, but recent events required more stringent remedies. She doesn't like, but any on-line access she needs for school is now done from either mine or my wifes computer which are downstairs and in plain sight. As for "Social Networking" with her friends, it's gone. Even her Cell phone usage (texting, web-surfing, AIM etc) has been curtailed.

OutThere
Jun 29, 2007, 10:46 PM
Well if someone bullies you in real life, you can walk away too, but the damage has already been done. And its not just IM, on Facebook, Myspace and alike, people can leave nasty comments for everyone to see. Unless you're logged on 24/7 and check your comments constantly, you won't be able to delete in time to prevent everyone from seeing. You know how it is in high school, if one person sees it, you might as well as announced it on the PA. People can also spam your email with hateful emails, or post up undesirable pictures/videos of you. I'm sure there are many other ways too.

I'd say that in many, if not most, cases, this 'cyber bullying' serves for some important lessons in social problem solving in an increasingly online world.

Take an offline example: some kid at school gets picked on. He cries, runs home to his parents, who call the school and have the big bad bully expelled. Life lesson? The kid feels he doesn't have to deal with bullies, and that some authority will take care of them for him. Twenty years later, the kid messes up at work, a coworker tells him he's stupid and that he f-ed up and bam there's a worthless lawsuit and the kid is in therapy.

If the kid had been left to figure the situation in school out on his own, he would have worked the problem out in his own kid way, and built valuable social skills and a thicker skin that would protect him the future. In middle school there was a big kid who had a temper, he beat people up sometimes, he punched holes in walls. Broke stuff. I was rightfully scared that he could cream me. He hit some kid and the kids parents got a restraining order against him. Instead of getting adults to handle it, I figured out that if I was nice to him, he would be nice to me. I still knew that I was smarter than him, and that he was never going to amount to anything, however when I was around him I was friendly. We never became friends, but I gave him respect and he never once threatened anything. This kind of stuff develops basic social skills...I know plenty of adults like him, who throw their power around, and because of experiences like that bully in middle school, I know how to work out my own problems.

As far as I'm concerned this applies to cyber bullying as well...kids have to learn how to handle themselves online in the same way they handle themselves in the real world. I did it. I had my share of very private instant messages copied and pasted to ten other people without my knowledge, pasted into peoples' profiles sent to friends of friends. What did I learn? Not to send private stuff to people I didn't absolutely trust. Bam. Learned it in 8th grade.

What happens in the reverse of that situation? What if I had told my parents, who then told the school who then suspended the other kids for cyber bullying me? What would I have learned then? Somehow it would no longer have been my mistake to send sensitive messages to untrustworthy people, I would have had the power to punish others for something I did wrong. See where I'm coming from?

The less and less we let kids solve their own problems, the more we are creating a generation of weaklings who cannot think or act for themselves.

ErikCLDR
Jun 30, 2007, 12:03 AM
Oh, but just wait until someone snaps. He'll get what's coming to him. Anyway, I really don't care what anyone thinks of me. They can make fun of my clothes or whatnot, but I don't give a *expletive* because they can hate me, and I don't care, 'cause I can hate them too, although I prefer to be neutral about it: Kid: I hate you. Me: Ok, you do that. Anyway, it's good to know we men have an advantage for not having feelings:D:D

I hope I am not the one that snaps. He is so obnoxious and he makes fun of everyone to make up for his extensive shortcomings.

Mark my words, when he (the dork) snaps, we're all gonna be dead.

macEfan
Jun 30, 2007, 12:31 AM
If someone gets pissed off at me, I just ignore them and move on... its not worth getting upset over something that you'll just forget by the next morning anyway...