Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
London
Hi Hi,
I'm going through a nightmare with my Powerbook G4 at the moment.
It's just over two years old and has been no bother until now.

A few weeks ago it started to act strangely when the battery indicator bore no relation to what power was left in the battery leading to some very annoying shutdowns etc. I took it to the local Genius bar who said that the battery was on its last legs and should be replaced. So I purchased a new battery, but when I tried to charge it at home with the power cable it just ran out of power and shut down. Looking at the power cable I saw that the PSU tip had broken off and was stuck in the computer. So I take it back to the Genius Bar who said that it should be no problem to fix but it may need a new DC in board. Ok I said and they took it away for repair which they estimated would cost £135 with data back up. Yesterday however I get a call from the Service guy telling me that there was a problem with the logic board as well which would need to be replaced and the whole repair would set me back about £600 !!!!!!! Now I'm no computer expert but this seems to me to be a very expensive reaction to the PSU tip breaking in the computer.
So what to do ???? I'm very annoyed that Apple's Pro model can be rendered useless by a tiny PSU tip. The service guy at Apple was less than helpful and wanted me to make a quick decision on whether I wanted to OK the repair or not. Can I get it repaired any cheaper elsewhere ?? They only guarantee their repairs for 90 days so even if I do get it repaired the same expensive problem could happen again.
Any help/advice will be gratefully received. The girlfriend is looking very smug with her "you should have got a PC" line and I'm trying to remain a Apple user, but this is testing me to the limit.
Cheers
Mark

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Hi Hi,
I'm going through a nightmare with my Powerbook G4 at the moment.
It's just over two years old and has been no bother until now.

A few weeks ago it started to act strangely when the battery indicator bore no relation to what power was left in the battery leading to some very annoying shutdowns etc. I took it to the local Genius bar who said that the battery was on its last legs and should be replaced. So I purchased a new battery, but when I tried to charge it at home with the power cable it just ran out of power and shut down. Looking at the power cable I saw that the PSU tip had broken off and was stuck in the computer. So I take it back to the Genius Bar who said that it should be no problem to fix but it may need a new DC in board. Ok I said and they took it away for repair which they estimated would cost £135 with data back up. Yesterday however I get a call from the Service guy telling me that there was a problem with the logic board as well which would need to be replaced and the whole repair would set me back about £600 !!!!!!! Now I'm no computer expert but this seems to me to be a very expensive reaction to the PSU tip breaking in the computer.
So what to do ???? I'm very annoyed that Apple's Pro model can be rendered useless by a tiny PSU tip. The service guy at Apple was less than helpful and wanted me to make a quick decision on whether I wanted to OK the repair or not. Can I get it repaired any cheaper elsewhere ?? They only guarantee their repairs for 90 days so even if I do get it repaired the same expensive problem could happen again.
Any help/advice will be gratefully received. The girlfriend is looking very smug with her "you should have got a PC" line and I'm trying to remain a Apple user, but this is testing me to the limit.
Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark.

Several things here that you might want to clarify.

1) Is the logic board problem related to the PSU issue? (My poor PB G4 has lost one entire memory slot due to a faulty logic board, however it is 4 years old now)

2) Will the system function with the faulty logic board once the PSU problem is repaired?

3) Are you considering a new computer at all? If so is your timeline for an upgrade sufficiently close that you can do without your computer until you buy a new unit?

Sopranino

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm not sure exactally what the cost of a macbook is in the UK but I think that you should be able to buy a new Macbook for not much more than that, and then ebay your powerbook for parts, the computer probably isn't worth the cost of the repair.

bollard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
London
Thanks very much for replying.

1) Is the logic board problem related to the PSU issue? (My poor PB G4 has lost one entire memory slot due to a faulty logic board, however it is 4 years old now)

Well the service guy attributed the damage to the logic board to a power surge.

2) Will the system function with the faulty logic board once the PSU problem is repaired?

I assume not. The service guy said that I needed a new logic board to make the computer operable again.

3) Are you considering a new computer at all? If so is your timeline for an upgrade sufficiently close that you can do without your computer until you buy a new unit?

Not really. I'm unemployed at the moment so money is a bit tight. I was just going to upgrade to Leopard when it comes out. Basically the Powerbook has been perfect for my needs and I was hoping for another couple of years of service from it. The base MacPro model is £1299 here so it would be double the price of any repair.
How much would I get for selling the Powerbook for parts ?? I've got a new battery and power cable which I've just shelled £150 or so out on.
I just want my old Powerbook back :mad:

bollard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
London
Does anyone know how much I'd get for my old Powerbook if I sold it for parts ???
Also does anyone know of anybody else who do repairs ???

Cheers

Mark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.