Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
My MBP should be arriving tomorrow. Should I use Vista or XP for bootcamp? I guess maybe xp would be better since Vista is a memory hog? I will have 4GB ram though. I will be doing gaming in the bootcamp partition. Which would be better?

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
Id say XP
mostly all APP's are compatible with XP (dont quote me on this tough)
besides, stick with something you know, there are soem bugs in Vista... i think..
i personally have XP on my Bootcamp, and dont want to hav Vista, not until they release a service pack for it...

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I have Vista, but then I don't use any Windows apps or games. I don't mind it actually. I had XP Pro but really wanted to try out Vista and I prefer it over XP. It seems snappier and more responsive to me.

sotl

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2007
XP and Vista both ran fine on my MBP. Just be sure to get the 32-bit for either one. As far as ram is concerned XP/Vista 32-bit won't take advantage of all of it, but there isn't any support for 64-bit from Apple just yet so the keyboard backlight, screen dimming, "fn" keys, iSight, etc won't work. These features aren't missed too much except for the screen dimming. It's a real eyesore at night when it's at full brightness and you can't do anything about it.

You won't even notice the memory consumption so don't worry about it. I have 2GB of ram and eveything runs great. DO concern yourself with hard drive space. My MBP has a 120GB hard drive. I gave Vista Ultimate the privilege of 60GB and it hogged 20GB after all the updates were installed for itself. XP will suck up far less.

Dj-Grobe

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2007
If you nee dual view !! (external monitor) well ................just dont us ewindows under apples with bottcamp !!:mad:

zane19

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2007
is vista better for pretty much all gaming performance? EA sports games for example?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.