Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Apple wasn't the first one with their iPod. They made the first usable and small MP3 player, that's all. The technology was not invented by Apple..

Good thing is that, in every review of a new mp3 player, they will always be compared with the iPod. So every new mp3 player is in fact a promotion for the iPod. ;) Free advertising for Apple!

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Originally posted by cc bcc
Apple wasn't the first one with their iPod. They made the first usable and small MP3 player, that's all. The technology was not invented by Apple..

Good thing is that, in every review of a new mp3 player, they will always be compared with the iPod. So every new mp3 player is in fact a promotion for the iPod. ;) Free advertising for Apple!

Don't get me wrong, it's ok if they come out with their own player, but what you said should have been done: compare it to the iPod. But it hasn't been done once, just talking about what good ideas they had and how special their player is. This is what got me upset. What made me laugh: during the introduction, they wanted to take a closer look and the batteries got low, because "they had it running all the time" :D

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Sorry, but this seems like a big ho-hum to me:

It's some sort of beta test, so the thing probably isn't even in production.
Phillips is not a cheap-o outfit, so it's not clear to me that this won't be far over the regular MP3 player price range, if not in the iPod's range.
It's not clear how big/small it is, how the controls work -- I didn't even see a full-size image.
It records? I don't expect this to be a big feature to most audiophiles (but oh, MAN, would this have been a neat feature when the Dead were touring).
Nowhere does it talk about calendars, contacts, or just being a hard disk, so I'm pretty confident that all this functionality of the iPod is just missed.

This isn't a list that makes me sad that I got a Rev. A 10GB iPod -- nor does it seem that they've managed to do a very good job of knocking off the iPod.

As far as styling goes, it didn't seem too similar. That black screen seems neat -- and hey, if you're going to buy based on screen color, well, all the other stuff isn't going to change your mind.

I think we're safe on this one.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think you're just mad because it is a HD based mp3 player. That's all it is. Like others have said, Apple didn't invent the HD based player. Others had it beforehand. All Apple did was make it smaller (and therefore, better). However, it isn't as if Apple was the first company that wanted to make a small mp3 player. This was the goal of every company. Apple just happened to release theirs first. Does it mean that they "invented" the small mp3 player? How about mobile phone companies? Did Motorola start dissing other companies because they were the first company to make a small mobile phone? No, of course not, because a smaller and more portable product is obviously the next progressive step in design. Same with Mp3 players being made smaller.

And about the "features" of the iPod: I don't see any "innovative" features in the iPod, either. I also see features that would have obviously be added by manufacturers, whether it was Apple who did it first, or another company.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
Yeah, I got this mp3 player before Apple introduced it's 1st gen 5Gb. I replaced it with a 10GB iPob 2 months ago. Because the Neo MP3 was pure and utter crap. Other than that, it was a'ight. (though the HD was easy accessible so the user could upgrade it himself.

Originally posted by Abstract
I think you're just mad because it is a HD based mp3 player.
are you kidding, look at its os, its nearly identical to the ipod os, its just inverted
this is a compleet rip off of the ipod's os not the ipod itself
i also wanna see the controlls, because it seems that it dosnt have a scroll wheel and that kind of scrolling os works really well with a scroll wheel
edit: found a bigger pic of it
http://www.audio.philips.com/PI/hdd.asp

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I agree, look at the interface.. it looks almost EXACTLY like the iPod. How can you not see that?? The progress bar, the battery icon, the scroll list...

Just another case of people ripping-off Apple designs. Nothing can be done about that.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
It's pretty.
It has the Philips name, which I respect.
That's about it. For the rest of it:
It has a funny "curve" to it (bows out at the center ever so slightly...I don't approve). It looks to be thicker than the iPod. It has too many buttons. The interface font is fugly. It's in beta.

Oh, and the reason we all get so upset when the "competition" sees how good things CAN be (such as Apple design) and attempts to "ape" it: well, it's simple We're sick of seeing "our" company performing costly R & D and doing it right the first time for other companies that don't have a clue, and getting those things out to market making it look as if it hadn't been done before and cutting into our precious profit. For instance, I don't know HOW many times I've corrected PC users when they ask if Apple machines are "wireless, like their laptops are?" WE FRIGGIN' DID IT YEARS AGO, WHERE WERE YOU?! (probably fiddling around with their PC, adding crap there, getting rid of crap there) *sigh*

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
You guys are too funny. There is nothing Apple about the iPod other than the packaging. The OS was not even theirs, just like all the other recent "great products."

iPhoto
iPod OS
FCP
Safari

etc etc

All that can be said is they recognize, an buy out, good things. Whoopy doo.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
it looks solid, but i love my iPod:)
seriously though, everyone takes ideas once in a while. that's what makes competition better. when people take ideas, they tend to add thier own flare to it, and make it a little better. then the creator takes what the other person did, and makes that, and adds onto it. it's like a creative cycle.

morgan-e

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2003
Illinois, USA
it's similar, yeah, but nothing to wax contempt over. in fact it features an automatically variable genre sound equalization feature that, to the best of my knowledge, my new 10 GB is without. it's a competitive market, and when creative labs made a buzz with the nomad zen we got updated ipods with bigger HDs and better functionality. i don't see anything wrong with this.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Apple needs to get the recording features working on the new iPods, before this comes out. "Direct Recording" seems to be a big selling point for this iPod clone, but Apple still has a chance to beat them to it. The hardware is already there inside the "3G" iPod... Apple just needs to activate it with an iPod OS upgrade.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
I think there are similarities between this Philips mp3 player and iPod. But it is inevitable. The product development guys at Philips probably sat down with bunch of mp3 players on the market and analyzed what works and what doesn't. And iPod most likely was the one that "worked" and they took many elements from it. I think this is quite flattering for Apple, actually.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
MacBidouille agrees with me:

http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2003-07-15#6134

Again, just to make it clear. The website alone might not be enough to understand why I was so upset. I watched a TV broadcast where they introduced the player and they told the viewers what good ideas they had and how well it scrolls and so on. They did not mention the iPod, but all they said has already been put in by Apple.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Originally posted by Abstract
Not to sound like an iPod sellout, but I'd buy the Philips machine if it can offer better battery life. The battery life alone would be the deciding factor for me. :cool:

Is the battery life of the new iPods this bad? I have a 2G 10GB iPod and have no problem with the advertised 10 hours.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
damn, even the font on the display is almost the same. the interface has obviously been "inspired" by the iPod. not to mention the brushed metal on the website. no shame. but phillips and Apple have sort of "partnered up" so this technology could've been handed to them.

Java

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
3g iPod battery life is long

Originally posted by Veldek
Is the battery life of the new iPods this bad? I have a 2G 10GB iPod and have no problem with the advertised 10 hours.

I have the new 3g iPod and I haven't had a battery problem yet. Every night I just plug it in, and let it recharge.

I'd be amazed if you can zap the iPod battery in a single day (since it is like 9 hours or something).

Plus, using iSync with my Palm pilot and iPod is so sweeeeet. I'd like to see a windoze user sync up their Palm, Cell Phone (Ericson T68i), and iPod together.

This is just another example of some competitor realizing that Apple's products rock when it comes to design.:p

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally posted by Veldek

I have the 30GB 3G iPod. I dont have a problem with battery life as long as I charge it every night (which is what the doc is for anyway... connected to my stereo... brilliant!

anyway, I have no problems wiht the 8 hours as it lives up to it. it's very nice indeed, and trust me, I use the thing CONSTANTLY and it works out about right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.