PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook hard drive upgrading questions.

sam10685
Jun 29, 2007, 12:35 PM
Sorry... these are probably silly questions, but I don't know the answer to these questions and I want to upgrade my powerbook right the first time. First, I still have my original Tiger upgrade disk. Can I use that same disk to put a new copy of Tiger onto my new hard drive or does one disk just go onto one hard drive? Next, what is a (or what are some), good apps for getting songs of an ipod to the new powerbook hard drive? (I have Podutil now but it doesn't seem to be working.) I can't think of any more now but I will later probably.

mrkramer
Jun 29, 2007, 12:43 PM
for songs just use your iPod as an external HD, if your HD that you are upgrading is not dead put all of the songs onto it as a HD and then you can just drag them off. otherwise the songs are just stored in a hidden folder, use somthing like Onyx to make that folder visible. You will be able to use your Tiger disk to out Tiger onto your new HD

CanadaRAM
Jun 29, 2007, 12:50 PM
Buy a firewire external 2.5" case along with your new hard drive (which must be IDE BTW -- not SATA) Then you can format the new drive in the case attached by firewire, clone your existing drive to it with SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Then do the drive swap. When you are done, put the old drive into the enclosure to use as a backup or transfer drive. Much easier that way.

Your Tiger will install, it is not locked to one disk.

sam10685
Jun 29, 2007, 02:09 PM
Buy a firewire external 2.5" case along with your new hard drive (which must be IDE BTW -- not SATA) Then you can format the new drive in the case attached by firewire, clone your existing drive to it with SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Then do the drive swap. When you are done, put the old drive into the enclosure to use as a backup or transfer drive. Much easier that way.

Your Tiger will install, it is not locked to one disk.

Thank you guys! (If i get this hard drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822146230), or any other one, can i just take it into an Apple Store with my Tiger DVD disk and have them instal the hard drive and then put Tiger on it? i'm not confident at all in doing it myself.) By the way, would that hard drive be ok?

sam10685
Jun 30, 2007, 01:58 PM
Any more help?

one1
Jun 30, 2007, 10:14 PM
Do what the other guy said, it's easier than it sounds. carbon copy cloner comes with a lot of disclaimers and mumbo jumbo, but it is a one click operation. I recently became a CCC user and after I read everything my palms were sweating, but I did it and the bottom line is load it up and click one button, the end.

The external HD thing is also just a one plug deal. All in all you plug one plug up and click one button. That fear ends up costing people a LOT of money unnecessarily.

/end.