PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Activation Issues

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

dshadownyc
Jul 1, 2007, 11:17 AM
First off, I am a former "Blue".

My phone has been activated since last night but not usable (still isn't itunes unlocked ). The woman Debra who helped me pulled up my order id and confirmed that my iphone was activated. She examined my account and found the problem holding up everything. Even though I am enrolled in the new iphone plan and was converted to "orange", Customer Care/Billing did not change the billing code on my account. The code is for an unusable plan. That is the only problem with my account. However for some FN reason Customer Care is closed today and they are the only ones who can change a billing code. She tried for an hour with me to get somebody else who can change a billing code but she didn't succeed.

The 877 800 3701 number sometimes bounced me to a voicemail, but be persistant. You will get through. I have to wait for tomorrow but you might not. If you are showing as activated but cannot connect have them, with a fine comb, go over your account. Maybe there is something that they can adjust today unlike in my situation.

maximus1323
Are you sure it comes from Apple? I am not doubting it, but my new SIM will not work in my old phone, so I have no way of testing that. However, Apple reps led me to believe all they did was provide a front end to AT&T servers.

But I would not doubt it; since it seems to be a iTunes issue in unlocking the phone.

-mark

Mark,

The activation email comes from the Itunes store (my other phone was activated and the email is from the Itunes store). APPLE has to UNLOCK the phone. AT&T has done everything on their end, as the sim card is working perfectly fine in my Treo. I have checked my AT&T account online and everything there is just fine.

Apple has to unlock the phone through the Itunes store and they have been dropping the ball. God forbid Jobs or someone at Apple would come out, aknowledge the problem and apologize. I am going over 48 hours and it is utterly ridiculous.

Max

milks
ok.. maybe i just might be everyones savior.. i dunno. but here is the link from the activation email .. replace the '/////" with your applicable data.

itmss://albert.apple.com/WebObjects/ALActivation.woa/wa/DirectAction/iPhoneRegistration?cmd=pa&ICCID=//////////////&AppleSerialNumber=/////////////&IMEI=////////////////&CTN=/////////////&sn=//////////////&ctn=////////////////

CTN would be your phone number

everything else is on the box (IMEI , ICCID, SN).

avkills
Jul 1, 2007, 11:19 AM
Log into your new wireless account online, if you then see that it says you are activated, it is Apple's bag. My account has been active for the last 24 hours, yet Apple has been denying any wrong doing...big surprise.

Now I am glad I sent a professional yet stern email to the Apple press reps for the iPhone; not like they will get it.

All I can say is they had better not say " I'm sorry, we can't access that information....." ******** you can't, more like you won't you lazy sack of ****.

-mark

avkills
Jul 1, 2007, 11:22 AM
ok.. maybe i just might be everyones savior.. i dunno. but here is the link from the activation email .. replace the '/////" with your applicable data.

itmss://albert.apple.com/WebObjects/ALActivation.woa/wa/DirectAction/iPhoneRegistration?cmd=pa&ICCID=//////////////&AppleSerialNumber=/////////////&IMEI=////////////////&CTN=/////////////&sn=//////////////&ctn=////////////////

Thanks milk, I'll try that if my talk with the Apple rep goes sour. Hell, I can't do anything but break my already useless iPhone, right?

-mark

djbeeker
Jul 1, 2007, 11:23 AM
Call the number ending in 3701. Tell them to cancel your activation. You will receive an email within a minute or two. KEEP THE REP ON THE PHONE until you get the email. Then wait approx 5-10 minutes. Quit and restart iTunes. Plug your iPhone back in. It will tell you that "AT&T had trouble processing your activation... click continue to retry activation" follow through all the same steps, and within LITERALLY 30 seconds, it is done. I am SO EXCITED FINALLY!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

milks
Jul 1, 2007, 11:24 AM
yea.. i finally got my iphone activated after 36+ hours in the dark.. so i decided to put the link up... a previous poster said some of the data was encrypted but.. none of it was in my link. verbatim .. character for character was my imei, phone number, sn, and iccid

Brian77NJ
Jul 1, 2007, 11:27 AM
Okay, here is my story

-Waited in line about 3 1/2 hours, but actually took me about 6 hours waiting in line to get an iPhone. ATT place said all systems across northeast were down and NO ONE could sell anything.

-Activated at 8:30PM EST
-Waited, waited, called SEVERAL times and got the typical response, 24 hours sometimes 72 hours.. I just kept calling all the numbers to see if i got anyone that knew what to do.
-its now 12:24p EST. And i FINALLY got everythine working.
-Throughout this whole ordeal, after i went through iTunes activation with the new sim card, nothing happened for like 12 hours, then i activated my old sim card for some reason.
-Got two emails telling me to look for other emails.
Long story short, i just went to the ATT store and told them to give me a new SIM card.
-Came home, synced with itunes and within like 3 minutes my number (existing att customer) moved to new sim and my iPhone is up and running!

FINALLY...!!!!!!!

Dont wait anymore.. Go get a new SIM and to the activation process again!! it worked for me!!!!!!!

rxden
Jul 1, 2007, 11:28 AM
guys i was in the que for 30 hours - i told them to cancel my order - signed on to att through itunes and setup a new att number in minutes - called today and they ported my phone number from verizon in 10 minutes - first call the activation dept and tell them to cancel u out - u should gt a mail at that point saying u are cancelled - then power down iphone and hook it up - itunes will start activiation over - select new number - get your new number - then call the att porting dept tell them u want to port over your vz number boom 15 minutes done - the iphone is awesome - keep patient def worth it

ciscokidd
Jul 1, 2007, 11:29 AM

no luck with this link.... launched itunes but gave me the "requires additional time to complete" still :(

ciscokidd
Jul 1, 2007, 11:34 AM
Call the number ending in 3701. Tell them to cancel your activation. You will receive an email within a minute or two. KEEP THE REP ON THE PHONE until you get the email. Then wait approx 5-10 minutes. Quit and restart iTunes. Plug your iPhone back in. It will tell you that "AT&T had trouble processing your activation... click continue to retry activation" follow through all the same steps, and within LITERALLY 30 seconds, it is done. I am SO EXCITED FINALLY!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

how long is it taking to connect to an agent?? ive been waiting to talk to a real person for 1hr and 15 minutes.... i dont want to hang up and try again knowing that i'll be at the end of the queue

avkills
Jul 1, 2007, 11:36 AM
Yup, Apple is giving me the hose job. uhhh, were aware of the problem, were working as fast as we can....****ing douche bags.

-mark

JordanShapiro
Jul 1, 2007, 11:37 AM
link didn't work. thanks for trying. i've been waiting 36 hours. two hours on the phone at 8pm friday. two more on the street corner using a payphone at 1am on saturday. two hours at AT&T, a half hour at apple (who knew it was ATT's fault) and now i'm waiting for a call back in 54 minutes from the most helpful person i spoke to.

jdoctoroff
Jul 1, 2007, 11:37 AM
so, I finally am up and running thanks to the 3701 number and a very long time on hold...
it is well worth it, once it finally works - definitely try calling that number, the guy did it in a matter of minutes once i got through.

jmacdonagh
Jul 1, 2007, 11:38 AM
So they missed the "Comitment" deadline. Nothing surprising there.

Apparently the address on my original credit check is wrong, and that is holding everything up. I'm going into the AT&T store here when it opens in an hour and I'm not leaving until it gets fixed.

I don't have a laptop to activate it in the store, do they have one?

mickeyd26
Jul 1, 2007, 11:39 AM
after 3 hours of waiting in line, 6 hours of updating my sister's freakin' PC [my mac is on 10.3 and i didn't feel like upgrading with 10.5 around the corner] and 31 hours of waiting for At&t to activate the phone... IT'S ALIVE~! FINALLY!

I'm syncing now... :-)

avkills
Jul 1, 2007, 11:48 AM
God damn back to AT&T to yet another number. I knew I should have waited on this god damn thing. I think now I am pinning all the blame on Apple; they royally ****ed this whole process up by trying to make the activations run through iTunes.

This ****ing douche bag Apple CS manager transferred me to the number porting center, what a ****ing ass wipe. Calling Apple again to ream this guy a new one.

-mark

Aniej
Jul 1, 2007, 11:48 AM
43 hours later I finally have a working iphone. If anyone has had it take longer than this please post and PM me. I would be very curious if it really took anyone longer.

Zolk
Jul 1, 2007, 11:51 AM
If you get a voicemail message when calling 877-800-3701, just keep trying. I received this as well the first few times before I finally got put on hold to speak to a rep.

Be prepared to wait on hold at least a half hour.

Ideally, you'll want the rep to manually perform the activation over the phone. Once this is done, you should receive your activation email within a few minutes.

My rep also gave me this number for after hours support in the event I still ran into problems: 866-801-3600. If you can't get through to 3701, perhaps you may have luck with this number.

maximus1323
Jul 1, 2007, 11:52 AM
God damn back to AT&T to yet another number. I knew I should have waited on this god damn thing. I think now I am pinning all the blame on Apple; they royally ****ed this whole process up by trying to make the activations run through iTunes.

This ****ing douche bag Apple CS manager transferred me to the number porting center, what a ****ing ass wipe. Calling Apple again to ream this guy a new one.

-mark

It is Apple and don't let anyone tell you differently. Unless it's a billing issue or credit check, it is up to APPLE to activate and unlock that damn Iphone through frigging Itunes. I am going on 42 hours and nothing yet. My sim card is active and working on the old phone (Treo). APPLE is pissing me off on this one BIG TIME.

The funny thing is that they were touting the activation process through Itunes as a beautiful thing and meanwhile it's what F***D up the whole thing.

LoganK
I am an ATT/Cingular/ATT customer. Like many waited for 25 hrs to be activated (while the SIM card was already working). Made multiple calls with the same question: "Is there anything wrong with my account as far as activation process is concern?" and the answer always was " All OK"
For the last time when I called I asked if my number being parted? I got answer "Yes", but wait. I am an existing customer, what do you mean by "being parted"?. I told them that all I am doing is replacing my old phone with the iphone. The same FAMILY plan as before, which did already include unlimited data+200 msgs. So in a nutshell I was swapping phones. Once this was clarified. I got activated in <2 minutes.

Key points
1. Make sure they're aware you're an existing customer (i.e you're not porting your #).
2. Tell them you're swapping phones only ( if that's the case)
3. previously established Family plan doesn't affect activation. (it was suggested before here and at att forum)
4. Keep calling. Don't take their "24-42 hrs" and "your account is fine" BS

robhedin
41 hours, but we're up! Whoo hoo!

Called 4700 number, dude looked over everything again, checked something (was put on hold a couple of times); had me remove and reinsert SIM card. No go; he transferred me to the synchronization department (whatever that is), waited on hold for about 40 minutes, spoke with "Iris", she said that I'd be working in 5 minutes, had me power down wait a minute power on (twice), and after the 2nd time-- iPhone is active. Yay!

Now we get to start the process with the next phone... ugh..

rob.

rer220
Jul 1, 2007, 11:54 AM
i've been reading this forum for the past two days and everyone cant agree on the same solution. i hear the same solution and problems but people and there own spice to make it seem that their situation is unique when its not. i just want to know for the people who GOT ACTIVATED. to say how they did it from the following choices. all my friends got there phones activated at different times and they all went by really fast.

1. restarted the activation process.
2. got a new sim card and start over.
3. gave them hell and eventually just manually activated *which they say they cannot do.
4. waited after the first email *needs more time email. and after 30+ hours it works.

OziMac
Jul 1, 2007, 11:56 AM
Okay, here is my story

-Waited in line about 3 1/2 hours, but actually took me about 6 hours waiting in line to get an iPhone. ATT place said all systems across northeast were down and NO ONE could sell anything.

-Activated at 8:30PM EST
-Waited, waited, called SEVERAL times and got the typical response, 24 hours sometimes 72 hours.. I just kept calling all the numbers to see if i got anyone that knew what to do.
-its now 12:24p EST. And i FINALLY got everythine working.
-Throughout this whole ordeal, after i went through iTunes activation with the new sim card, nothing happened for like 12 hours, then i activated my old sim card for some reason.
-Got two emails telling me to look for other emails.
Long story short, i just went to the ATT store and told them to give me a new SIM card.
-Came home, synced with itunes and within like 3 minutes my number (existing att customer) moved to new sim and my iPhone is up and running!

FINALLY...!!!!!!!

Dont wait anymore.. Go get a new SIM and to the activation process again!! it worked for me!!!!!!!

I'd successfully been able to get activation to the processing stage on my old SIM, but had been waiting for 20 hours for it to come through.

So I figured I'd try your approach - I went through activation on the old number with the SIM that came with the iPhone.

Unfortunately, it's brought me right back to square one because iTunes still says that the activation needs more time - and now I have the added problem of having my old SIM deactivated and I've signed up for the same changes twice, and for all I know I'm now at the back of the activation queue all over again. All I can hope is that they don't bung on the data plan additions twice on my bill or charge me twice for activation. What a joke.

So don't try this if you can avoid it.

ciscokidd
Jul 1, 2007, 11:58 AM
41 hours, but we're up! Whoo hoo!

Called 4700 number, dude looked over everything again, checked something (was put on hold a couple of times); had me remove and reinsert SIM card. No go; he transferred me to the synchronization department (whatever that is), waited on hold for about 40 minutes, spoke with "Iris", she said that I'd be working in 5 minutes, had me power down wait a minute power on (twice), and after the 2nd time-- iPhone is active. Yay!

Now we get to start the process with the next phone... ugh..

rob.

what 4700 number??? i've been waiting for almost 2hrs now on this 3701 number - i'm ready to try something else

avkills
I'm heading to AT&T store right now to try the new SIM process.

-mark

ChrisHart
With no help from AT&T or Apple, I just emailed Steve Jobs about my experience (http://www.chris-hart.com/wordpress/?p=64).

So disappointing.

goon315
Jul 1, 2007, 11:59 AM
42 hours and still nothing.

im on the phone still with someone and we are trying to sort it out. apparently, they were supposed to generate an email with an activation code, or it was supposed to be on my receipt, but there are no codes. My CSR thinks that somehow my activation got lost in the process, which is what i've been trying to tell them for a full 24 hours now.

she also thinks she can help me, but that remains to be seen.

its a pretty colossal ****up, but when it works im sure it'll be worth it.

:apple:

jmyhasuk
Jul 1, 2007, 12:00 PM
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to share my experiences so far. I attempted to port my number through from T-Mobile, but after 12 hours, I'm still waiting. After receiving an iTunes message saying, "iPhone activation has expired", I called AT&T.

According to the porting technician, Demarco, "...something went terribly wrong in your activation process", and the only way to fix it is a new SIM card from AT&T, which I'll have to pay for. Absolutely unacceptable. Anyone else share similar issues?

I forgot to mention before, the representative also said that it could take "...at the very least 5-10 days to port a number via the iTunes method." That's why he recommended that I get a new SIM card. He said--and he couldn't stress it enough--to set up a new account through AT&T, DO NOT PORT YOUR NUMBER THROUGH ITUNES, then call the AT&T porting department to port the number: 1-888-898-7685. Here's to hoping.

wstohner
Jul 1, 2007, 12:05 PM
I forgot to mention before, the representative also said that it could take "...at the very least 5-10 days to port a number via the iTunes method." That's why he recommended that I get a new SIM card. He said--and he couldn't stress it enough--to set up a new account through AT&T, DO NOT PORT YOUR NUMBER THROUGH ITUNES, then call the AT&T porting department to port the number: 1-888-898-7685. Here's to hoping.

are they seriously charging for new sim cards? if so, how much? if it's their fault, why would they make you pay for one?

Dark
Jul 1, 2007, 12:09 PM
If I were to go into an AT&T Store right now with my iPhone and my Old Phone....is there anything they can actually do besides dick me around. Im approaching the 24 hour mark, and I know its not as long as alot of other people...but im about to jump out a window.

maximus1323
Jul 1, 2007, 12:15 PM
With no help from AT&T or Apple, I just emailed Steve Jobs about my experience (http://www.chris-hart.com/wordpress/?p=64).

So disappointing.

Excellent! I think that there is probably enough legal ground at this point for a nice class action lawsuit. Apple really deserves it for this one. So much hype for such a bunch of B****IT!

paja
Jul 1, 2007, 12:15 PM
for this nightmare. Going on 36 hours and very Pissed Off!

What was the point behind getting the iPhone authorized through iTunes? Was it some sleazy marketing thing to get customer info? Well it's Backfired! Nice way to piss off your customers!:mad:

Tazzy531
Jul 1, 2007, 12:27 PM
Finally Activated!!!!

12 hours after restarted activation
41 hours after initial activation

Advice for the rest of you:

* Cancel the porting request and start a new activation
* Don't call any of the CSRs other than 3701. They don't have access to activate the phone and they will only tell you to just wait to go through the automatic process. Call 3701 and they will manually activate on the spot.

kop
Jul 1, 2007, 12:30 PM
Yesterday, I finally gave up and went to the beach for the afternoon without a working iPhone. Came back around 6pm and had emails:

2:40pm - "Congratulations, AT&T is transferring your number to your iPhone..."

4:26pm - Second AT&T email thanking me for my purchase and telling me that AT&T was "currently processing my order."

5:40pm - "Activation complete" email telling me to reconnect my iphone to my computer to complete the process. There is a link to click but I didn't click it, just went into itunes.

At this point I was able to start playing with my phone but was still receiving calls from my other phone. Went out to a friend's house, playing with my new iphone.

Received my first call around 11:30pm.

Very unfortunate that it was such an awful process, but I do have to say that the phone is cool enough that I'm glad I didn't take it back, it is worth sticking it out to wait for.

Also, I'm finding that I don't mind the Edge speed as bad - Edge has picked up in speed, but the wi-fi really makes up for things. Also, the wi-fi antenna is so strong, I can poach wi-fi signals all over the place so it is well worth it.

Just to tell you how my iphone has already made my life easier:
1) Got the address to the pool party last night, which I looked up in google maps, and got directions in about 10 seconds - good thing because the house would have been impossible to find, and my friend's directions were not helpful.
2) We ordered pizza late last night, had a race with someone who had a laptop connected to wi-fi and a landline phone to get ahold of the pizza place. I used my iphone and beat him hands down.
3) Got lost finding my way out of the crazy winding neighborhood streets on my way home, looked up the intersection on google maps, and was back on my way in seconds.
4) Looked up the traffic online, figured out they had shut down one of the freeways for construction, so I took, an alternate route, would have been stuck in traffic for over an hour had I not had my iphone with me.

SO far, definitely enjoying it! Good luck to all you out there still waiting - it is worth the wait!

wstohner
Jul 1, 2007, 12:30 PM
Finally Activated!!!!

12 hours after restarted activation
41 hours after initial activation

Advice for the rest of you:

* Cancel the porting request and start a new activation
* Don't call any of the CSRs other than 3701. They don't have access to activate the phone and they will only tell you to just wait to go through the automatic process. Call 3701 and they will manually activate on the spot.

I canceled my activation this morning, and restarted around 9:30am. What did you do to speed up the second activation? Did you call? I chose to not port or go with any SMS package the second time around. I plan to port later in the week, and add SMS when all is said and done.

avkills
Jul 1, 2007, 12:35 PM
Solution:

If you live near a At&t store, go in, get a new SIM and if you can bring a laptop and get WiFi, activate the phone in store. I just did and it went through in like 2 minutes.

I am at Heidi's Deli, eating a sandwich, since I used their wifi to do it, I felt obligated.

The guy in the store was very nice and gave me a new SIM for free.

-mark

thabih
Jul 1, 2007, 12:38 PM
Still waiting here, at the 36 hour mark. What I don't like is AT&T telling me "lots of people are activating their iPhone's right now, we're doing the best that we can". That's an explanation, but not a a valid excuse. It doesn't excuse this, what would is "we're going to give you the first month free for this inconvenience."

robhedin
Jul 1, 2007, 12:45 PM
Activation of 2nd phone was literally 3 minutes, and that included the time to fill in the garbage on iTunes.

rob.

phildog33
Jul 1, 2007, 12:55 PM
I was on hour 30... waiting for my verizon # to be ported.. waiting waiting.. I couldnt even start over from scratch on my iphone, until the email told me it possibly failed...

anyway... I went to the AT&T store in Manhattan 3-4 times the last few days for all sorts of issues and questions... and this last time (about 30 minutes ago.. I asked them to give me a NEW SIM card..)

they didnt understand, but they gave me a brand new one for $0 and filled out a $0 receipt for it through the register

I came home, put the new sim card in my phone... i went through activation process again but instead chose NOT to port.. but activate a new AT&T account, with NEW number..

in 3 minutes literally.. i have my iphone working, syncing, surfing web on the new #.. i am on hold with at&t now.. to port the number over, the right way... now that the iphone is working and able on their network

-p

ciscokidd
Jul 1, 2007, 01:01 PM
FINALLY!!!!!!!! 40+ hrs and finally go through to someone on the 3701 number that could manually activate my phone.... she said my rate plan was incompatiable (like i heard 2 nights ago and thought i spent my night on the phone with a CSR getting that cleared up) anyway... she fixed me up and had me on hold for maybe 3 minutes

came back and said to turn of the iphone - wait an hour turn it on and dock it - i'd recieve an email w/in 5 minutes

what really happened is i got off the phone with her and i already had the email... so of course i docked my iPhone and ACTIVATED!! but now i have no service??? is this why she told me to wait an hour?

swordfish5736
Jul 1, 2007, 01:08 PM
To those still having issues a new sim card fixed my 22hr wait in about an hour...

arythmic
Jul 1, 2007, 01:13 PM
Im in my 36th hour with still no activation ... countless CS reps and nobody can figure it out. They said they would call me back ....

crosses fingers

ciscokidd
Jul 1, 2007, 01:15 PM
first post from the not so iBrick!!! Thanks to all the support on here... Way better than any support I got on the phone... Keep hanging in there if you haven't been successful yet

jmacdonagh
Jul 1, 2007, 01:15 PM
I'm convinced the best bet is to cancel all pending activations, activate a new number, and then port later.

greenBabe
Jul 1, 2007, 01:16 PM
Okay ... if you are still having issues call the 3701 number NOW! When you get the recording dial 0 - that'll dump you into the queue. I only had to wait on hold for about 20 minutes and a got a remarkabley helpful gentleman who went back and forth between me an customer service and he activated my phone ... took about 20 mins of hold time, but I'm up and running now. I'm so happy I could cry. Now I have to text my boss and tell him I don't hate him anymore (he was able to activate on Friday). :D :D :D

tinman13
Jul 1, 2007, 01:24 PM
My scenario ... 8:30 Friday activation ... hours and hours on hold with ATT ... ATT assured me the e-mail would come any minute ... at 42 hrs, went to local ATT store (they hadn't heard of any of these problems yet - small market) and got a new SIM card ... walked over to Panera ... was activated in less than 5 minutes.

I ported a number from a Verizon business account. ATT assured me everything was done. I agreed because the iPhone SIM worked (with my number) in a RAZR. So when I went back through iTunes activation with the new SIM card, I just picked "changing a line to the iPhone" to avoid all the porting garbage. Worked like a charm.

I'm sure your frustration will fade after you get it activated ... it is so FREAKIN' NICE!!! Nevertheless, this is a black eye that should have been properly anticipated and avoided.

The only way Apple will lose me is to stop making the best products in the world!:apple: ATT has a long way to go to gain my trust and long-term loyalty. They're lucky to be riding Apple's coat tails on this one!:apple: Honestly, I already can't wait for the next one!!!

I'm sorry if you're still not activated. Don't give up ... it's worth it!!!!!

Furgster
Jul 1, 2007, 01:24 PM
i got mine iPhone activated about 13 hours ago, but i am still not able to receive calls, hopefully this gets cleared up pretty soon

avkills
Jul 1, 2007, 01:25 PM
I am seriously thinking that Apple's iTunes servers crashed and all of us that had been (and still are) waiting activations disappeared. I only say this because I did the exact same process with the new SIM and it activated the phone in under 1 minute.

Apple ****ed up, plain and simple.

-mark

willybNL
Jul 1, 2007, 01:26 PM
Guys,

open a website that you can fill in where you bought it, when you activated it, what steps you take and how long it took.

Gather data from as many people as you can in a simple interface...

that will help you getting at&t or apple to help faster i guess with something like saying 'sorry'. Bundle all your complains!

barnetda
Jul 1, 2007, 01:28 PM
PLEASE>

Can someone give me an email address of ATT re activation.

I am in euriope on holiday and have just been cut off after being on hold for 2hrs 30 mins.

THis is a complete shambles. I have been trying to activate since friday evening and have spoken to ATT or held for them for more than 7 hours.

arythmic
Jul 1, 2007, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately my situation is a little odd ...

After talking to a billion people at ATT , there seems to be some other random persons name on my account .. so they are looking in to that.

Im at the point now where the SIM card idea seems the most logical.

I just want to be able to use this thing

nate1003
Jul 1, 2007, 01:36 PM
I waited in the queue since friday night, but finally got it working, this is how I did it. I called this number:

Apple activation support
877 419 4500

They picked up literally on the second ring. No voice tree, a REAL PERSON. She looked at my account, added 1 piece of info and took my callback number. She then waited on hold with the poeple at 877-800-3701 and called me back when she was off hold and they activated my phone in 5 minutes!

Good luck everyone!

milks
Jul 1, 2007, 01:36 PM
it seems to me that a lot of people today are getting their iPhone's activated... BUT aren't getting a singal.. me being one of those people. I've been using the phone via wifi and its quite impressive.. but i'd like to get EDGE and VOICE up and running so i can finally put this nightmare to rest... anybody else experiencing the same problem?

ssnyc
Jul 1, 2007, 01:38 PM
After 42 hours, I am up and running - with both iPhones.
After speaking with about a dozen different AT&T agents over the various numbers, each problem was slowly taken care of. First it was porting from Verizon problems, then it was having both phones trying to be activated with the same phone number (from verizon fam. plan to AT&T fam plan).
Some agents are really helpful, some need more training. The worst experience was going to the AT&T store in person - they flat out admitted to knowing nothing and gave me the same phone numbers I already had in my arsenal.
Anyways, all I can say is that there IS hope! I had a tangled mess and they eventually sorted it out... in less than 2 days. If you have and activation ID that was emailed to you, that seemed to help move things along.

And if I ever hear another piano (after being on hold for over 5 hours over the weekend), I am jumping off my roof.

Good luck to everyone - there is hope!
I'm opening up my champagne now.

Ajmbc
Jul 1, 2007, 01:45 PM
Do yourselves a favor: call 877-800-3701. Get in the queue, and wait out the 45 mins to an hour. Before the rep says anything explain that you are an existing customer that has been through a buggy activation and that your iPhone is in limbo. Explain that you want to be on the line until the phone is activated.

That's what I did, and my phone was activated within 20 minutes. It seems sometimes some weird info can hang up the automated process.

Brian77NJ
Jul 1, 2007, 01:45 PM
I'd successfully been able to get activation to the processing stage on my old SIM, but had been waiting for 20 hours for it to come through.

So I figured I'd try your approach - I went through activation on the old number with the SIM that came with the iPhone.

Unfortunately, it's brought me right back to square one because iTunes still says that the activation needs more time - and now I have the added problem of having my old SIM deactivated and I've signed up for the same changes twice, and for all I know I'm now at the back of the activation queue all over again. All I can hope is that they don't bung on the data plan additions twice on my bill or charge me twice for activation. What a joke.

So don't try this if you can avoid it.

NONONO.. dont try and activate your old sim card.. that was ONE of MANY things that was holding up my account.. Try and go to the ATT store and get a new sim card and then do the activation process via itunes again and see what happens...

djralphq
Jul 1, 2007, 01:56 PM
I waited in the queue since friday night, but finally got it working, this is how I did it. I called this number:

Apple activation support
877 419 4500

They picked up literally on the second ring. No voice tree, a REAL PERSON. She looked at my account, added 1 piece of info and took my callback number. She then waited on hold with the poeple at 877-800-3701 and called me back when she was off hold and they activated my phone in 5 minutes!

Good luck everyone!

I followed the advice on this post.......picked up on the second ring too. Customer service rep has been very helpful so far.....still not active, but starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel..... Will repost if this works.

UPDATE: While this has been the most helpful number to call yet, the customer service rep said that due to some obscure reference in my ATT account to some UNLIMITED DATA package that I had on my account at some point, she couldn't proceed any further. She sent it to "TECH SUPPORT" who will resolve it before JULY 5TH!!!! I asked to be transfered directly to them and she said that that department was closed today. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? PROBABLY THE LARGEST LAUNCH IN ATT/APPLE HISTORY AND THE TECH DEPARTMENT ISN'T WORKING TWO DAYS INTO THE LAUNCH??????????

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent....... I will keep you guys posted.

Furgster
Jul 1, 2007, 01:57 PM
has anybody been able to receive calls yet of their phones, i can only send them

Tazzy531
Jul 1, 2007, 02:01 PM
I canceled my activation this morning, and restarted around 9:30am. What did you do to speed up the second activation? Did you call? I chose to not port or go with any SMS package the second time around. I plan to port later in the week, and add SMS when all is said and done.

Yup, once I got my Order number, I just called and kept pestering them until I got some service.

But now, I'm finding out that my SIM card is not active...
Guess back to the phone again..

tranced25
Jul 1, 2007, 02:01 PM
After 30+ hours, I was finally activated in the wee hours of the morning. Got a link sent to my email, which starts the whole process. After sitting on the message boards with all of you for two days straight, and having the support I did, I just wanted to let you all know. I know how hard this is, but I will reiterate that this is soooooo worth waiting for. Don't return it, or throw it out the window, or throw it at Steve. I wanted to do all of that (and then some) but I stuck it out, and ignored my monolithic iBrick. Then it finally turned into a bonafide iPhone and I couldn't be more thrilled with it than I am right now. As a matter of fact, I am posting this from my new toy. Just hang in there! Your iBrick WILL work eventually, and you will be so glad. I still maintain that I should not have to pay an activation fee, though. By the way, i did not change my plan, or redo anything. I just simply waited. If your phone has the emergency slider, and there is nothing out of the ordinary in your plan according to the at&t reps, then you should be on track. I did leave my iPhone connected to my computer with iTunes running, but I have no idea if this helped or not. It just seemed to work after I did for a few hours, and bam! There was my email.

I completely agree that this whole wait was bull, and I feel terrible and slighted about it.

jtkiley
Jul 1, 2007, 02:02 PM
39 hours and finally finished.

My main problem was features on my account that conflict with the iPhone plan. Specifically, that was the NOIN, TYPE 1 feature that supposedly means that the prefix contains both mobile and landline numbers.

Even once my plan was fixed, I still had to call ATT and get them to help me activate it. After an hour on the phone (mostly on hold), I got the email and it worked immediately.

I'm very very happy with it, though the process was tough. They gave me a service credit of an entire month of the voice charge (though I'll still have to pay the $20 data plan).

Furgster
Jul 1, 2007, 02:06 PM
39 hours and finally finished.

I'm very very happy with it, though the process was tough. They gave me a service credit of an entire month of the voice charge (though I'll still have to pay the $20 data plan).

lucky at least you got something

RichP
Jul 1, 2007, 02:16 PM
Assuming your account is in order (and the only hold up is activation)

Go to ATT
Tell them a rep on phone said get a new SIM
Activate with new SIM..it went through IMMEDIATELY on my phone.

Enjoy!

akpdc
Jul 1, 2007, 02:32 PM
I bought my iPhone Friday evening and did the activation through iTunes. I ported my number from Verizon. Got an email that my old phone would be disconnected in 24 hours. Then got an email about 4 hours later that my phone number had been transferred to the iPhone and could make outgoing calls. Then two hours later, an email that activation was complete. However, incoming calls are still going to my Verizon phone. I just called Verizon, who said the ball was in AT&T's court. I called AT&T (877/800-3701). The rep told me that just today the reps had received new information that activation requires you to keep the iPhone turned on and connected for six hours after the iTunes portion of the activation process is complete. He advised me to do that now, then turn it off for a half hour, and then back on -- without connecting it to the computer -- for 5 minutes. None of this makes sense, but I'm going to give it a try. Everything else on the iPhone works -- it just doesn't receive calls.

This seems to be new info so I thought I'd pass it on.

thecityatnight
Jul 1, 2007, 02:33 PM
has anybody been able to receive calls yet of their phones, i can only send them

thats what i was wondering, i am still in that spot. im glad im not the only one. oh and mine has been activated since like 5:30 PST in the morning yesterday.

jfreeman
Jul 1, 2007, 02:35 PM
hi all. I'm posting this from my iPhone. Took almost 40 hours. In the end I just cancelled my activation and started fresh and it took 3 minutes. That's after waiting for almost 2 days. I now think there was some weird address mismatch that they somehow failed to figure out or resolve even after i called several times. That is to say this system seems very sensitive, so maybe restarting the process will help some people.

mmccaskill
Jul 1, 2007, 02:42 PM
Bought my 8GB iPhone at 12 noon EST, initiated activation ~2pm. Received email at 2:10 pm: AT&T is now processing your activation. You will receive an email confirmation once your activation is complete.
Interesting thing is I opted for a new number as I didn't want to port my number right now (try later maybe because of stories I've read here). Still no email activation. I would've thought activation for new customers would be quick.

robertjc
Jul 1, 2007, 02:51 PM
My AT&T iPhone SIM is activated, but I still get the iTunes message that "Your activation requires additional time to complete."

So I called Apple. The Apple CSR said "if you're porting a number, our experience is that it takes up to 3 days to complete." Huh? The product has been released only 2 days, so how can experience show it takes 3 days?

Anyway, I explained that the iPhones SIM is now active. I put it in another phone and it places and receives calls just fine. Looks like AT&T's work is done, and the ball is in Apple's court.

So I asked for the Apple CSR's supervisor and this is what he said: "Once the SIM is active, Apple can process only 200 new iPhones per minute, and there are 3 million requests in the queue." :mad: That would mean more than 10 days. If it's true, it's a colossal mistake. If it's not true, Apple's CSRs shouldn't be saying this. Apple, this is a huge screwup. You should have been ready.

UPDATE: 90 minutes later, I received the activation email. Synching now. Hmm. Maybe Apple can process 200 new iPhones per second, not per minute? That would have created a 4-hour delay.

ahmedrah
Jul 1, 2007, 02:52 PM
Do not wait for att or apple to send the email!! They won't!!! If you started your process on Friday, and have the screen claiming additional time required...immediately go to the att store and get a new sim, and act as if you were starting from scratch!! this will re-set the itunes problem...after waiting 40+ hours, I figured this would solve this from past posts on this site (thanks by the way)...I activated my phone with my powerbook in the store in less than 4 minutes with the new sim.

justintyme
Jul 1, 2007, 02:53 PM
The miracle number worked for me. Waited about 20 mins and then the call took under 5 minutes and the phone was activated. 1-877-800-3701. The CSR's at this number have a better understanding of what is going on and this also appears to be a dedicated iphone activation line as oppposed to the general help number. My story was that I had the wrong plan, which of course was supposed to be switched yesterday. This phone line is the line. Good luck!

ChupaCadabra
Jul 1, 2007, 02:55 PM
Okay, after three days, I registered because I got my phone working, and I wanted to try to help you guys as much as you all have helped me. Having all your various stories really helped me sort out what's going on here and now I've got a working phone.

Here's what's going on for people who have active sim cards, but iphones that still need itunes activation.

Your sim card is active, but itunes doesn't care, because it's not supposed to lag like things did on Friday, and I personally don't think they tested that situation before release. So what's going on is as far as AT&T is concerned, you're open and ready to go, but itunes itself has no way of handling this. What you need to do, is go to an AT&T/Cingular store, and have your entire account ported to a new sim card WITHOUT THE iPHONE DATA PLAN. DO NOT LET THEM ADD THE DATA PLAN WHEN THEY PORT YOUR ACCOUNT TO A NEW SIM. YOU WILL ADD THIS IN ITUNES.

Okay, now that I'm done yelling, we can continue. Once you have a new sim card in your phone, go through the itunes set up process just as you did on Friday night (only I didn't take the expanded text package, as I'd heard people say it caused problems. I will just add it this week instead). Select your data plan, accept the terms, and at the end it will activate your phone (there was no email, it just activates right there, in about thirty seconds, THEN it emails you.)

After that, toss your old sim card in the garbage, configure your email, and rock the **** out.

I know this wont help everyone, but my wife and I were both existing AT&T wireless customers (I came from cingular, she came from AT&T Blue), and this worked for us. Hope it helps.

ciscokidd
Jul 1, 2007, 02:58 PM
did everyones cellular service turn on right away after receiving the email from itunes for activation??? i'm still 2 hrs after activation happily still playing with the toy but no service (can't call or be called)

anyone else experience this?

djralphq
Jul 1, 2007, 03:03 PM
Apple activation support
877 419 4500

Good luck everyone!

I followed the advice on this post.......picked up on the second ring too. Customer service rep has been very helpful so far.....still not active, but starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel..... Will repost if this works.

UPDATE: While this has been the most helpful number to call yet, the customer service rep said that due to some obscure reference in my ATT account to some UNLIMITED DATA package that I had on my account at some point, she couldn't proceed any further. She sent it to "TECH SUPPORT" who will resolve it before JULY 5TH!!!! :confused: I asked to be transfered directly to them and she said that that department was closed today. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? PROBABLY THE LARGEST LAUNCH IN ATT/APPLE HISTORY AND THE TECH DEPARTMENT ISN'T WORKING TWO DAYS INTO THE LAUNCH??????????:mad:

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent....... I will keep you guys posted.

milks
Jul 1, 2007, 03:05 PM
did everyones cellular service turn on right away after receiving the email from itunes for activation??? i'm still 2 hrs after activation happily still playing with the toy but no service (can't call or be called)

experiencing the same thing.. 4 hours later.

Samuel Beckett
Jul 1, 2007, 03:08 PM
After just under 46 hours, a nice gentleman from Prince Edward Island got it done for us. We reached him at 877-800-3701. A nice gal at the Stamford Apple store gave us the number.

kevinwiz
Jul 1, 2007, 03:11 PM
yes! i took it in the store i put my foot down and said i'm not leaving until this is resolved. anyway, they told me a special att rep would me before 12:30 pst. at 1:00 pst i was just about to call and complain that they didn't call me. i decided to plug my iphone into my macbook for the last time and IT WORKS!
FINALLY!
my stuff is syncing now.

teerexx52
Jul 1, 2007, 03:13 PM
I just returned from my Apple Store 1 hour away with my iphone. I live in an area where I have had cinguar service and phones. In fact I have a tower in my back yard. When I tried to activate my new phone I could not as it said service was not available in my area. However, I have had cingular phones here as have many others. So after several calls to AT&T and Apple I live in an area that has "partnered" service. Apparently AT&T does not like this and won;t provide me with service. If you live in a partnered area you must not spend more than 50% of your time on the phone in that area or AT&T will cancel you. So I have to return the phone to the Apple Store. Wow what a day and this was after returning my new MacBook pro for a Yellowish screen. Hope this saves someone else from being disappointed.

willib4
Jul 1, 2007, 03:15 PM
Ok, after nearly 43 hours I finally found a rep who could help me. When I called 877-419-4500, the rep was MOST helpful in recognizing that my old data plan, called Media Max, was still listed on my account. It seems that my account had both the iPhone data plan and the Media Max data plan listed, causing some sort of conflict. Unfortunately, the previous reps I spoke with did not notice this. He removed my Media Max and transferred me to the Synchronos dept (877.800.3701). He instructed me to tell them that I:

- Was transferred by AT&T iPhone activation support
- That there were conflicting features that Activation support had just removed
- That I was instructed to give them my order number for a manual push

We'll see what happens. The wait time is 60 minutes at this Synchronos. Dept.

There is a way to see for yourself if you have this specific conflict. If you log into the AT&T Wireless website and look at your plan details, you can see if both the Media Max plan and iPhone plan are listed together. Mine was.

D1G1T4L
Jul 1, 2007, 03:18 PM
Finally found my "problem". Well sad news is I will still have to wait till 11:30 tomorrow but the good news is my phone isn't activated is because the port of my old number was scheduled to be done tomorrow and after that I should be good to go.

Now why did it take me two days to finally find someone who was able to find me answer I have NO clue :(

dshadownyc
Jul 1, 2007, 03:20 PM
I'm glad to see that the magic number is helping some as are the new sim card attempts. Too bad that even if i get my services ported to a new sim card, my billing code is still screwed up in the at&t system until customer care division reopens tomorrow. Sux that I have no option to do anything until tomorrow..

How the ******* does AT&T, on such an important weekend, allow an entire division to be completely void of staff considering they're the only division who can change an internal billing code?

By the time I can get that resolved I will be reaching the 60hrs mark...

thabih
Jul 1, 2007, 03:21 PM

This is exactly what's happening to me. In some kind of activation limbo. I get a "Waiting for AT&T Activation" message whenever I start up the phone.

davidleon
Jul 1, 2007, 03:28 PM
After 22 hours, I also was able to activate my iPhone by calling the 1-877-800-3701 phone number.

orderedlist
Jul 1, 2007, 03:30 PM
One more here for the getting a new sim card from the ATT store. 45 hours of waiting for them to get their crap figured out, and with the new sim, it only took 15 minutes to activate. Syncing now. Already received text messages and a call to my phone. So happy this is over.

fbx
Jul 1, 2007, 03:32 PM
43 hours later I finally have a working iphone. If anyone has had it take longer than this please post and PM me. I would be very curious if it really took anyone longer.

I'm at 44 hours and counting. No service, no activation. Nothing.

iTunes strikes again.

Chrysaor
Jul 1, 2007, 03:47 PM
I am waiting at the "your activation requires additional time to complete." screen.
My question is, when you get the email confirmation, do you have to accept it to activate or is the confirmation just a receipt telling that activation is successful?

red-delicious
Jul 1, 2007, 03:48 PM
Apple Insider has a 'workaround' for a specific number transfer problem - might be worth a look.....

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/30/how_to_port_ineligible_mobile_numbers_to_att_and_iphone.html

here were the issues why i believe i couldn't activate (besides shameful planing on at&t/apple's part):

i was on an old at&t plan
my area code was from a different market than my billing zip code

here's my sequence of events (over the course of 40 hours):

after waiting at the apple store for 4 hours tried to activate iphone with my at&t account as is (hurt)
on the advice of an att rep waited for activation email (hurt)
called att, updated plan off the old att to a new att plan (helped)
noticed my old business discount still showed up. left it alone (no effect)
swapped sim cards around (no effect)
on the advice of an att rep paid my att balance which wasn't even due until next week (no effect)
went to an att store got new sim card, had them call the relocation dept to assign sim card a new phone number that was in my billing zip code (helped)
armed with new sim card i connected my iphone to itunes. instead of saying "request takes time...blah blah blah...you'll get an email...", i was given the opportunity to enter all my info again. i entered all my info like before but used the new phone number i got from the relocation dept. my iphone was activated in less than 5 minutes.

i am thinking about porting a number but i will do that later. first priority was to get the phone activated. if your current area code and billing zip don't match and you want to keep your current number you could try what the link in the post i am replying to says.

after all that hassle even now that it is activated and sync'd my iphone has lost most of its appeal. maybe i'll grow to like it but i will never forget this experience.

willib4
Jul 1, 2007, 03:48 PM
OMG Success!

After over 43 hours, it finally works. When talking to the magic number in Canada, 877.800.3701, please ask them to check to see if you have MediaMax data plan listed. Its an old data plan and will cause a conflict with the iPhone data plan.

Something else interesting. Their computers would not update my plan with the "MMV2" SMS messaging service. however, this angel sent from heaven (knowledgable rep) told me that most other reps forget to tell you that you can still activate without it and then call Customer Care tomorrow to have it added separately. Otherwise, you will not activate. You have to give them permission to do that.

FINALLY. Good luck to all.

mrowl
Jul 1, 2007, 04:03 PM
I'm glad to see that the magic number is helping some as are the new sim card attempts. Too bad that even if i get my services ported to a new sim card, my billing code is still screwed up in the at&t system until customer care division reopens tomorrow. Sux that I have no option to do anything until tomorrow..

How the ******* does AT&T, on such an important weekend, allow an entire division to be completely void of staff considering they're the only division who can change an internal billing code?

By the time I can get that resolved I will be reaching the 60hrs mark...

can't you just login into your at&t account online and change the zipcode? is it not the same?

cirby
Jul 1, 2007, 04:06 PM
So, after several calls over the last couple of days, I finally got a gal who told me that my ancient AT&T plan was on the "blue" side of the network, and the iPhone needs to be on the "orange" side.

I ended up going into he AT&T store nearby, and after a number of attempts, they managed to, effectively, "give me a new phone" (activated a SIM card without the phone). They also, after a few tries, got he computer to shove me over to the "blue" side.

By the time I got home, my ancient cell was turned off, but the iPhone wassn't working. A couple more calls to the "sync" department, and the iPhone came on - I got the magic email and everything.

Got my Wi-Fi on and everything.

rob214
Jul 1, 2007, 04:12 PM
Hi,

My situation:

Existing AT&T Customer with business discount plan, blackberry pearl with unlimited BB data plan.

Started saturday, 3 AM with activation.
Saturday at 2 PM called AT&T for help.
Changed all my plan to get rid of Business Foundation ID/Number, get rid of BB data plan, etc. I updated my billing address in iTunes & AT&T to match up. I even got them to waive the $36 activation fee.
Still waited, and waited.
Sunday, tried using Old BB Pearl SIM Card. Went through activation - still required additional time (hell!).
Called AT&T, had 2nd Activation cancelled.
Inquired with AT&T Activation Support line (4500) about getting New SIM Card - was discourage by AT&T from doing it. Was told to just be patient and that the iTunes activation servers were just overloaded. Even though I argued with them that people with brand new AT&T accounts (without porting numbers from other providers), had no problem... that it seems like it account information was a little complicated or didn't match billing addresses between iTunes & AT&T, there was a problem... so I asked them - can I cancel the original request, get a new sim card and start over? "No - you would have to cancel your AT&T Account then" (********, AT&T!)

SO... After reading a couple of posts that stated success with going to an AT&T store & picking up a new SIM that was set with their Account Plan, I drove over. AT&T staff try to discourage me - replying skeptically when I lied to them that an AT&T phone rep told me to get a new SIM card. They also said that changing the SIM card in my iPhone would void my warranty - which I replied - whatever, just give me the new SIM card please. They updated my account for the New SIM card, and I drove back home.

VERY, VERY, VERY HAPPY TO REPORT I AM NOW ACTIVATED & SYNCING my iPHONE! The activation process took all of 5 minutes. :)

A NEW SIM WORKS!!!! :)

Activation Servers are NOT OVERLOADED - that is ********. The servers are BUGGY and can't handled business discount plans, ported numbers, etc.

AT&T - shame on you for lack of informed customer service, and discouragement at getting my problem resolved. :mad:

So, the only open question I have now is - if my original activation ever finally gets processed - what will happen to my currently working iPhone - and what the hell is AT&T going to have on their billing system?

loseit
Jul 1, 2007, 04:19 PM
firstly i just wanted to say thanks to all the people replying in the thread, cause without it my brother and i wouldn't have got ours activated. we were one of the people whos account said "we need additional time to complete..."blah blah blah." heres how our situation worked and we got ours activated after about 12 hours.

we were previous att customers under a business account, so after waiting on the phone for 2 hrs, i got it taken care of. waited about 4 hours, nothing. called 3 different reps and heard 3 different stories.called the "iphone activation line,"it said they needed more information to process our order, and i never got through to a rep. it just kept sending me to voicemail. one rep i talked to even told me regardless of changing a business account to a personal, that number would never work and i would have to change it. i was following up on this thread all day trying things people were saying worked and finally found something. someone said they powered off their iphone, replaced the sim with one from their old phone, connected to itunes, and got an error message. then put the sim back and it worked. well this worked for my brother, but it was different for me. i was a lil hesistant to try it, but in the end it worked. the difference was when i put my old sim in my iphone, it took me to the beginning of the activation process in itunes. i put the sim from my iphone in my old blackberry and it wouldn't boot up. so i went through the whole activation process with itunes again, and it worked right away!

anyway, i hope this helps. i know people keep saying its worth the wait and its hard for you to imagine after waiting 24 hrs to activate, but personally it was for me. i've already forget all the trouble from yesterday. good luck everyone!

Catgofire
Jul 1, 2007, 04:20 PM
I am waiting at the "your activation requires additional time to complete." screen.
My question is, when you get the email confirmation, do you have to accept it to activate or is the confirmation just a receipt telling that activation is successful?

Just a receipt.

prescription7
Jul 1, 2007, 04:33 PM
Preapproval Code???

I've been waiting for 26 hours.

I wasn't an AT&T customer before, and I am NOT porting an existing number so it's basically a clean slate. Very simple I think.

After talking to two sweet-old-granny types at the 4500 number who told me basically nothing, I called again asking them to check my status after giving them my info. The guy said I need to get a Preapproval Code from a local store. The store hours according to the hotline are 11-7, which is funny because the authorized store nearest me is already closed as of 5:30.

Do I need this code? I ask because I have not heard anyone mention at any point on this forum and I remember as being only an option during the iTunes 'activation'...

Thanks

maximus1323
Jul 1, 2007, 04:33 PM
Well....after waiting 48+ I have visited an At&T store, and got a new sim card.
Got home, popped the bad boy in and I was activated within seconds. Absolutely painless, with no waiting time whatsoever. Go figure that.

I am an existing Cingular customer with three lines family plan. Something got botched the first time around or it could have been a bogus sim. Who knows.

Now I got my two up (me and wife) up an running and it's a beautiful thing. Certainly worth the wait but I wish they could have figured out the problems before hand. Good luck to all!!

thunder555
Jul 1, 2007, 04:42 PM
I've seen this solution posted here before, but I wanted to confirm that it absolutely, unquestionably works.

If you are porting a number from another area code than the one you are in and you are getting rejected, do the following:

1 - Know the billing address zip code has NOTHING to do with why you are being rejected.

2 - Where it asks you if the billing address you entered is the same as where you will be using the phone the most, answer NO.

3 - Enter an address from the zip code where the number you are porting originates.

For example, I am in Arizona. My phone number is from NY. First time around, I entered my AZ billing address and checked "yes" for it being the address where I would use the phone the most. I was rejected in 4 hours.

Second time around, I used the same AZ billing address, but entered my old home address in NY as the place where I would be using the phone the most. It took 12 hours, but I received my approval and am now actively using the phone.

I know many people who are looking to port are getting new numbers and hoping to port later. THIS is an effective fix without the hassle.

Best of luck.

Thunder

PS - I know this is probably been posted a million times, but can someone just direct me to a link or a post where I can find out if I can transfer my Nextel sim (or the info on it) to the iphone? Or do I have to reenter every friggin name??? :)

thunder555
Jul 1, 2007, 04:43 PM
May I also add that the very first time around, I was declined because my pre approval code was deemed invalid. Just leave that field blank and move on.

paja
Jul 1, 2007, 04:46 PM
This iTunes activation is a total disaster.

Apple should have stayed out of the activation process period.

I can't visit a AT&T store until late tomorrow after work.

Thanks for screwing up my weekend Apple! You sucked big time on this one!:mad:

NixHex324
Jul 1, 2007, 04:48 PM

Apple activation support
877 419 4500

Good luck everyone!

After about 40 hours of waiting this is the attack plan that finally got my iPhone working. nate1003 is my personal hero.

Dark
Jul 1, 2007, 04:51 PM
I called that apple activation support line and what a joke it was. They told me the same thing AT&T said....everything on your account looks fine, you just have to wait it out...how long, I cant tell you. :mad: :mad: :mad: Do you think I should just go get a new sim card?

shk718
Jul 1, 2007, 04:57 PM
OMG Success!

After over 43 hours, it finally works. When talking to the magic number in Canada, 877.800.3701, please ask them to check to see if you have MediaMax data plan listed. Its an old data plan and will cause a conflict with the iPhone data plan.

Something else interesting. Their computers would not update my plan with the "MMV2" SMS messaging service. however, this angel sent from heaven (knowledgable rep) told me that most other reps forget to tell you that you can still activate without it and then call Customer Care tomorrow to have it added separately. Otherwise, you will not activate. You have to give them permission to do that.

FINALLY. Good luck to all.

I called thw magic number and 20 minutes later im sending this message via i phone yippie

zanzibobby
Jul 1, 2007, 04:59 PM
It's been incredibly enlightening (albeit in a sad way) to read through this thread and realize the scope of the issues involved in what should have been a simple process.

My saga lasted a good 40 hours, many of those on the phone with various people of varying aptitude.

# of calls to 4500: 10
# of calls to 3701: 4
Results: nada.

I had a legacy AT&T account from before Cingular, and I knew I'd be having to upgrade. What amazed me was how many different excuses I received from people indicating why they couldn't make my phone work:

- "Your account is still blue. We can only handle orange accounts. The blue account center is closed." (apparently a total lie)
- "You need to pay your bill" (it was paid up)
- "You need to turn your phone off for an hour to let the memory clear."
- "I've fixed your account! You're on your way! All you need to do now is wait 24-48 hours for it to work." (They didn't fix anything. I only know that because in lieu of waiting, I kept calling back.)

Finally, someone gave me a NEW number-- 866-801-3600. The woman there was freaking IRATE at the idiots at the other numbers. She immediately credited my account for a month's service, and offered to wait on the 3701 line for an hour with me. I let her off the hook. She also spent a great deal of time documenting my experience with previous agents and sighing heavily as my tale of woe unfolded.

All told, I returned once again to 3701 and got it pushed through. I'm active now and loving it. In my experience, if your account isn't all set, 3701 won't be able to help, even if they don't know that. Try 3600-- they appear to be more adept and there's no waiting.

Bottom line-- when they tell you to "wait a while and try again later," tell them no. The process was designed to have you up and running in a matter of minutes, and as most of these success posts demonstrate, it wasn't computer congestion but agent stupidity that clogged the process.

Good luck!

herrade
Jul 1, 2007, 05:06 PM
add me to the list of people who found immediate success by canceling the initial activation and starting over w/o porting.

i had no luck getting a human being at the 3701 number. here's what i did:

call 877 419 4500. you get a human immediately. this person kept me on hold while he contacted the porting department and cancelled my port request. that took about 4 minutes. then, he connected me to another department to cancel my initial activation. i was on hold for about 20 minutes, but the rep knew what i was talking about and helped me out immediately thereafter. the cancelation email came to my account within seconds, and though he told me to wait an hour, i restarted the activation and had service within three minutes.

fwiw, both CSRs i spoke to asked me for my web order number, but the first was able to find me with my ssn and the second found me through first/last name.

now lets see what happens when i try to port by phone.

good luck to all.

maveness
Jul 1, 2007, 05:32 PM
After waiting overnight, I awoke to NO activation email and the same ol' iBrick.

I went to the AT&T store where I bought the phone. I explained the situation. They said, "Everything looks fine, your account is activated." I said, "Um, no."

They showed the number as ported and the phone as activated. Yet nothing was working. I never received an activation completed email.

So, I asked them to give me a new sim. After much consultation and grumbling, they did. I went home, replaced the old sim with the new one, stepped through the activation process, this time asking for a new phone number. And... hit the dreaded "Your activation will take more time..."

And it did. But not very much more time: maybe half an hour. Thereafter I was happily syncing, making phone calls, browsing the web on my home wifi, tra la la. The new machine, j'adore!

I then traipsed BACK to the AT&T store to ensure that they cancel the number that was supposed to be ported, and that I not be charged for a double activation or early termination. I was assured that now all was well, that my account showed (1) line -- the new number -- and I was good to go.

My advice for anyone stuck in activation limbo: bite the bullet and get a new number. I would bet that the vast majority of the people on this forum having trouble were trying to port from a pre-existing wireless number.

Frankly, I wasn't particularly attached to my old number, and I don't mind getting to be selective about who gets hold of the new one!

ssnyc
Jul 1, 2007, 05:35 PM
Assuming your account is in order (and the only hold up is activation)

Go to ATT
Tell them a rep on phone said get a new SIM
Activate with new SIM..it went through IMMEDIATELY on my phone.

Enjoy!

I got the same advice from a rep on the phone. Went to the AT&T store (471 Broadway in SoHo) and my "agent" said they don't have them (even though the rep on the phone said they do) and that I need to go to Apple. I saw the agent right next to him hand one over to another customer! My agent insisted that it won't do any good. I put up a stink and didn't leave until I got one. This cancelled my 2nd iPhone activation in iTuens which was a mess and started me all over again. It took 6 minutes to activate my 2nd iPhone - after my first iPhone activation was already established which took all weekend.

The AT&T store agent admitted to not knowing anything, so make sure you insist on a new sim card--- ONLY IF A REP TELLS YOU TO DO SO.

ChrisHart
Jul 1, 2007, 05:40 PM
A couple tips that I picked up from talking to a very helpful CSR at AT&T/Cingular:

- If you have a FAN# (corp. discount) on an individual account, this is a problem. Part of the iTunes activation process is to change your FAN# (if you have one) to a "dummy" FAN# for the line you're using for the iPhone. This is later supposed to be fixed, but somehow in the process, it didn't happen on my account.

- Certain rate plans don't qualify for the iPhone, and even if you chose one that did during activation, it might not have been added to your account. You need to make sure that you have a voice rate plan *for the iPhone*.

- The iPhone data plan has to be on the account (obviously). Even though I went through the activation process, this didn't happen either.

- Certain other things need to match (billing zip code on CC to where your account is, etc.)

If you have a corporate discount plan, the people at the regular # can't deal with them - they transfer you somewhere else. I don't know how to get into that queue directly, but you can probably ask to be transfered to business services for iPhone activations and end up in the right place.

Until all these things are true, the activation will not be submitted to Apple - they just sit on AT&T's side. Once they're correct, they are sent over to the Apple side for activation. This can take some time (it's been an hour and I still haven't gotten activated), but it's progress.

Hope this helps someone else.

goon315
Jul 1, 2007, 05:42 PM
RIGHT!

Its alive and kicking. Was on the 3701 number for about 3.5 hours this morning until they found out a glitch had held me up. they fixed a glitch (basically, pressed a switch) and BANG, there it is.

i waited about 42 hours in total, been absent whilst eating. my friend who i was eating with wanted one, and we ran to the apple store where she picked one up and i yakked with an apple dude for a few. come to find out, she has some strange AT&T account thats tied in with a bumfu** local phone company, that does not accept iPhone service yet and has no plans to. shes really pisse'.

good luck if youre still having problems. my advice is to call 877-800-3701 and bug the hell out of them until they flip you on!

Cheers.

:)

ssnyc
Jul 1, 2007, 06:07 PM
I had the best luck with the 877-419-4500 number.
I called this about 6 times in the past 32 hours, 4 of which provided me with substantial progress (including the magical call that activated BOTH phones while on the line with him). Twice I got BS answers and not given solid answers so I just called back and got better trained help. The longest I had to wait was 2 rings! NO PIANO MUSIC!

Oh and if anyone says the port office is closed on weekends, this 4500 number will contact them directly for you.

Good luck!

reorx
Jul 1, 2007, 06:07 PM
I'm still waiting: 47 hrs.

Wife has been using hers since yesterday. Needless to say I'm pissed. I've called every number (including 3701) and they say "just wait". When I call into the automated system with my "order number" it says my phone is activated. What a complete waste of time to wait in line for one.

paja
Jul 1, 2007, 06:08 PM
I finally get this email....

We're sorry. AT&T has identified a problem with the information you provided.

For more information, call 877-800-3701.

What crap, I've been a paying Cingular, non-business, customer for 5 years. I can't call your friggin number until tomorrow because you deactivated my old cell phone. :mad:

jmyhasuk
Jul 1, 2007, 06:17 PM
Okay...tried activation with the new SIM card per AT&T recommendation, no dice. Utterly pissed, I went to return the iPhone for a refund, so I went back to the Apple Store at Sagemore in Marlton, NJ. However, when I went in, I decided to give it one last try with the Genius Bar. I explained the issue, and the genius waited on the phone for about 45 minutes. After doing everything over the phone, he said the phone should be activated within an hour and a half. The genius was quick to blame the process on AT&T.

I went to dinner, and came in about 2 hours later, and saw an email saying that AT&T was transferring the number, and that I should be able to make outbound calls and use the phone. However, when I sync with iTunes, I still receive the "Your activation requires additional time to repeat." I called one of the numbers provided on the forum (thanks guys!) and got a live rep. He confirmed that the SIM card was indeed activated. In fact, he said I could take the SIM out and put it in any other phone and I would be able to place calls. However, he said that the iTunes activation is severely backed up and it is unable to unlock the phone. Unlike the Apple genius, he was very conscientious of his words. He said that its not an Apple problem, or an AT&T problem, and that they share responsibility as it is a joint venture. He sounded much more professional than the genius and was much more helpful as well.

So, as a lot of folks on the forum initially said, this is Apple's problem, not AT&T. Right now, I'm on hold in the queue to try and unlock my iPhone manually. We'll see what happens.

**** Apple. If this doesn't work after this, I'm taking it back. And you better believe I'm not paying some god damn restocking fee.

jmacdonagh
Jul 1, 2007, 06:17 PM
my iPhone has been activated!

I had to go into ATT and get a new SIM. Once I got that the process was extremely quick.

Does anyone know a working number for porting? 18888987865 doesn't work.

eddiewouldcode
Jul 1, 2007, 06:24 PM
yay, mine is activated too.

but now I'm faced with wifi problem

My iphone recognizes my router and connects to it, the wifi icon displays at the top bar. But as soon as I use Safari, it would switch back to Edge. I look under the wifi section in iphone setting, DHCP has an ip of 169.254.253.199 instead of of th usual 192.168.2.X

inc77
Jul 1, 2007, 06:25 PM
So mine is finally activated! YAY!

but my iPhone isn't showing any services :( ...

jmyhasuk
Jul 1, 2007, 06:30 PM
my iPhone has been activated!

I had to go into ATT and get a new SIM. Once I got that the process was extremely quick.

Does anyone know a working number for porting? 18888987865 doesn't work.

The customer service rep from the porting department gave me this number:
1-888-898-7685

I don't know if your number is a typo or you wrote it down incorrectly.

akonikui
Jul 1, 2007, 06:30 PM
Call this number:
866-801-3600

After 38 hours of waiting, the most knowledgeable, nicest CSR woman in the world "updated" my account and i received a confirmation email in seconds.

I'm not posting this from my iPhone (its syncing) but it definitely works!

jmyhasuk
Jul 1, 2007, 06:32 PM
Okay...tried activation with the new SIM card per AT&T recommendation, no dice. Utterly pissed, I went to return the iPhone for a refund, so I went back to the Apple Store at Sagemore in Marlton, NJ. However, when I went in, I decided to give it one last try with the Genius Bar. I explained the issue, and the genius waited on the phone for about 45 minutes. After doing everything over the phone, he said the phone should be activated within an hour and a half. The genius was quick to blame the process on AT&T.

I went to dinner, and came in about 2 hours later, and saw an email saying that AT&T was transferring the number, and that I should be able to make outbound calls and use the phone. However, when I sync with iTunes, I still receive the "Your activation requires additional time to repeat." I called one of the numbers provided on the forum (thanks guys!) and got a live rep. He confirmed that the SIM card was indeed activated. In fact, he said I could take the SIM out and put it in any other phone and I would be able to place calls. However, he said that the iTunes activation is severely backed up and it is unable to unlock the phone. Unlike the Apple genius, he was very conscientious of his words. He said that its not an Apple problem, or an AT&T problem, and that they share responsibility as it is a joint venture. He sounded much more professional than the genius and was much more helpful as well.

So, as a lot of folks on the forum initially said, this is Apple's problem, not AT&T. Right now, I'm on hold in the queue to try and unlock my iPhone manually. We'll see what happens.

**** Apple. If this doesn't work after this, I'm taking it back. And you better believe I'm not paying some god damn restocking fee.

Okay, yet another rep tells me its AT&T, not Apple. I don't know what's going on at this point. I received the email saying the number is fully activated, still no dice. Any other ideas folks?

fbx
Jul 1, 2007, 06:39 PM
I went to the AT&T store and got another SIM. No issues with that--just ask. I put it in a restarted activation through iTunes and everything went exactly as it's supposed to. I was up and running within minutes.

NOTE: I had already tried this with my wife's SIM with no positive result.

I am a continuing AT&T customer with 3 phones on Family Plan and this is the primary phone.

As other have said before me, it is worth the wait. Don't let yourself get too frustrated. When it works it's quite qonderful. So far it comes dangerously close to living up to the hype. I've been running off WiFi (home network) since I started. Have not tried EDGE yet. Pictures good. Camera actually might be useable though not too high res. Music good. Video good. Web great. Interface VERY good.

Hang in.

maximus1323
Jul 1, 2007, 06:55 PM
I called that apple activation support line and what a joke it was. They told me the same thing AT&T said....everything on your account looks fine, you just have to wait it out...how long, I cant tell you. :mad: :mad: :mad: Do you think I should just go get a new sim card?

That's what I did after 50 hours. I had only gotten the initial email.
Got a new sim and I was up and running within 60 seconds with no errors or wait.

ryckmonster
Jul 1, 2007, 06:58 PM
I went to the AT&T store and got another SIM. No issues with that--just ask. I put it in a restarted activation through iTunes and everything went exactly as it's supposed to. I was up and running within minutes.

Hang in.

I did the same thing... I canceled my Sprint port.. Then walked into the ATT store, told them my deal and they even recommended a new sim, before I even asked. I didn't have to show em my phone or anything. I walked out and went to the starbucks nextdoor and had my iPhone up and working in 10minutes!!:apple:

iKwick7
Jul 1, 2007, 07:01 PM
Happy ending here for me. Attempted activation of the phone at about 4:30 pm yesterday. It is now 8:00 pm.

Was on the phone with 877-800-3701 for over 2 hours after being on hold for only about 15 minutes. Ridiculous. Pretty much determined that my phone number (area code 908, porting from TMobile) couldn't be ported, that it was a New York number (wtf?????), and that I would have to go to an AT&T store tomorrow and get a new sim card.

I then called 877-419-4500 and they picked up immediately. Guy agreed that I would have to go to AT&T tomorrow. I told him to make a note that I wasn't paying an activation fee, and he didn't have a problem with that and did such.

About a little under an hour later and I'm doing work on my laptop in the other room... BAM! Email from Apple saying my number has been ported and that my phone now works. Huh? I go and look- sure enough, it works!

Friggin idiots on the phone.

I am loving this thing. :)

Calutron 2000
Jul 1, 2007, 07:10 PM
I've been a lurker and following these developments...

Just wanted to say that I after 30 hours and tens of phone calls, I finally got somewhere with AT&T, who were clearly the problem in terms of my activation and I've been with AT&T/then Cingular/back to AT&T for five years. Their customer support has always sucked, so I'm giving Apple a pass on this weekend.

They're now manually pushing activations for anyone whose been waiting over 24 hours. Once they did that, the activation was damn near instantaneous.

Call 877-800-3701 with your six digit activation number and they should do it with you on the phone. Power off the iPhone before your call.

good luck,

KCG

p.s. For the folks pulling your hair out, it is going to be worth the wait. This will cut down the times I bring my computer home by well over half. Load times on WiFi are exemplary and definitely acceptable on EDGE. Much faster and obviously WAY more navigable than with Blackberry. Woo hoo!

Dark
Jul 1, 2007, 07:20 PM
That's what I did after 50 hours. I had only gotten the initial email.
Got a new sim and I was up and running within 60 seconds with no errors or wait.

Yeah im coming on 30 hours now and I feel that this isn't going to ever resolve itself. Question, when you got the new sim and did this...you did the exact same thing you did the first time right? (registration wise)

akonikui
Jul 1, 2007, 07:29 PM
success! Posting from the iPhone now! The keyboard works so well. It practically reads your mind. Don't give up, just keep calling numbers until someone actually helps and activates it.

theNEOone
Jul 1, 2007, 07:36 PM
woohoo, finally!!!!

I called the 877 419 4500 number, spoke to someone and explained that i had been waiting since friday to be activated, but had issues with mediamax, the fact that i was a blue customer, etc....

they took some additional information from me and needed to change my address. apparantly the fact that i had a p.o. box as the mailing address on my account may have been an issue......

=|

mactarkus
Jul 1, 2007, 07:38 PM
The only thing comforting about the Activation Hell I'm living is that we're keeping each other company. I'm now on a quest to set the record for longest activation in AT&T history. I'm going to bed hoping for better results on day four. Read about my saga at:

http://retromaccast.blogspot.com/

k3ith
Jul 1, 2007, 07:39 PM
All right, so has anyone gone with the prepaid option?

I did and now anytime i use the internet or anything it says something like.. " Your last transaction cost $.05 USD, you have $36.83 Remaining" and gives the amount of minutes left.. weird. I thought it was all unlimited..

ciscokidd
Jul 1, 2007, 07:59 PM
soooo now its 7 hrs and i still have no cellular/edge service... i just got off the phone (3701) and the lady said she tried re-sending the activation twice and now i just have to wait... (same old story)

what a bunch of hoops you gotta jump just to use an upgraded device?? att has ruin any credibility i had from the 8 or 9 years ive been using mobile phones

I JUST WANT EVERYTHING TO WORK LIKE IT SHOULD!!!!

anyone else still having cellular/edge service problems?

scoobierules
Jul 1, 2007, 08:02 PM
Finally got my phone number ported and ready to use the phone and the speaker does not work. 72 Hours and still not resolved. I had to deal with the ATT store and Apple to determine who was going to switch the phone. No one wants to do it as they say it is the other parties problem.

I am about ready to forget the whole deal. This sucks!!!

winyan
Jul 1, 2007, 08:18 PM
But it seems to not want to go out to the internet. It's picking up my wifi, (apple express) but it declares I don't have edge, and will not go out to any internet site.

I'm clueless, anyone have an idea?

win

blackbook
Jul 1, 2007, 08:18 PM
okay. i am FINALLY activated as of 8 PM tonight. that's a total of 40 HOURS! stick with it, because the ********* is totally worth it.

i'm now syncing. good luck to all and thanks for all the support!

deesae
Jul 1, 2007, 08:19 PM
After 40 hours I finally got someone that told me to make sure that my phone with T-Mobile is completely off. And after 30 minutes, I finally got the magical email from iTunesStore. Please give this a try!!!

Congratulations, AT&T has successfully transferred your existing mobile number.

Your iPhone mobile number is:

###-###-####

zhensun
Jul 1, 2007, 08:28 PM
an ATT rep told me that you can't use any SIM card. You need a card that was made for the iphone or some jumbo like that. but it seems from this thread that people just went to the att store and got any new sim card. does anyone know anything about this. the rep told me that i would have to go to the apple store to get a special iphone sim card. which is the truth?

fbx
Jul 1, 2007, 08:42 PM
an ATT rep told me that you can't use any SIM card. You need a card that was made for the iphone or some jumbo like that. but it seems from this thread that people just went to the att store and got any new sim card. does anyone know anything about this. the rep told me that i would have to go to the apple store to get a special iphone sim card. which is the truth?

Mine activated w/o problem with a new SIM the guy handed me from a stack he had beside his workstation. CLEARLY was not any "special" iPhone SIM card. Go to AT&T and get the card and try it yourself.

Cadence
Jul 1, 2007, 08:43 PM
40+ hours for me as a former BLUE PLAN member...3701 number worked...got a CS rep who needed to add some feature to my plan and now it's up and running!

BLUE PLAN members who were forced to change their plans, anyone get a good deal?

mmccaskill
Jul 1, 2007, 09:00 PM
Been almost 8 hours: no activation number, no iPhone number, no confirmation email. Called various Apple/AT&T numbers but each told me there is a bottleneck and they didn't expect this much volume.

Just want the thing to activate.

boogieman
Jul 1, 2007, 09:09 PM
Been almost 8 hours: no activation number, no iPhone number, no confirmation email. Called various Apple/AT&T numbers but each told me there is a bottleneck and they didn't expect this much volume.

Just want the thing to activate.

Do u have to pay the restock fee if you cannot get it activated?

PuterSaurus
Jul 1, 2007, 09:24 PM
Threw the towel in at 44 hours today.

5 hours later while showing off the iBrick it started picking up a signal. Don't know how or what did it but it works.

My last phone call was 877-777-4189 and the tech guy told me if your iTunes billing address was different than the ATT billing address you could have problems. Mine was just that. I had a PO Box on the iTunes for my credit card but physical address with ATT. I changed it within iTunes but didn't see an immediate response so gave up.

It works now.

mmccaskill
Jul 1, 2007, 09:48 PM
Do u have to pay the restock fee if you cannot get it activated?

I believe so as long as the box has been opened.

grimghost
Jul 1, 2007, 10:07 PM
I am sure that one more person explaining their experience is a drag, but here goes.

I began the activation of my phone on June 28th at 8:23 PM with a port of a number from Verizon. After 12 hours I began the calling cycle that everyone here is talking about. There are several problems with the "solutions" everyone is posting. The first seems to be that the 3701 number doesn't actually get you to someone who works at AT&T. You get to a hired phone bank employed to handle the extra call volume from the iPhone launch. To speak with an AT&T rep call the activation number, 2500. They are the people who can actually look at the processing of your account. The Port number (its here in the forum somewhere) can tell you if your number has been ported. Call them to and have them put in another request, but know that your current phone services will be deactivated before your iPhone is activated.

I spoke at length with an Activation specialist who explained that there have been several glitches in the system between the automated process begun by iTunes and the computers that activate the wireless line at AT&T. The real issue is that there isn't one glitch but dozens compounded by incredible volume. I would call and check on your activation status using the 3701 number option 3, but if they say there is a problem do not wait to be transferred since the person that answers the phone will only be able to help you if your account is missing some information or something. If your activation has been caught up in a glitch the Activation number is the only one that brought me results.

My problem was that iTunes/Apple put an incomplete code down for my choice of plan and the AT&T techs could not go in and delete the errornious code and add a the correct code. For me the correct type of plan is coded as mmv1.

What I found out was that if there is a miscode in your plan, no matter if everything else is ok, the phone cannot be activated. The activation tech I spoke with was working 12 hours shifts and they were assigning tons of techs to work on the bugs as they are identified.

Believe it or not the 3701 people actually gave me the number to Apple care to call and get my problem fixed thats how untrained they are.

One thing I will say is however infuriating it is, you should call and talk to the techs at the activation line since your phone might be some new unidentified glitch and by calling you alert them to the problem. It won't be fun and you might want to sit down and have a beer while you wait, but after waiting 38 hours, I am very happy to have a working phone, and I was able to begin forgetting about yelling at the idiots at Apple Care and the 3701 iPhone support line.

Good Luck

grimghost
Jul 1, 2007, 10:09 PM
I believe so as long as the box has been opened.

I was told that by if you bought it from AT&T the techs can call an authorize a return without paying the restocking fee.

mmccaskill
Jul 1, 2007, 10:21 PM
After 9 hours, finally it activated.

Typed this on my iPhone!

Blurg
Jul 1, 2007, 10:22 PM
To speak with an AT&T rep call the activation number, 2500.

What's the 2500 number?

herrade
Jul 1, 2007, 10:23 PM
Can any one report on their experience of ordering a new number from att then porting their old mobile number via phone? How long did the porting process take?

Brian77NJ
Jul 1, 2007, 10:23 PM
UPDATE: i posted some advice earlier to those (including myself) who waited like 40 hours to get the iPhone to work. Activated the sim the iphone came with on friday after i got the unit. waited about 40 hours and then decided to go to the ATT store and get a new sim so i can do the activation process again. BINGO, it worked like a charm within minutes. LIKE IT ORIGINALLY SHOULD HAVE. But i think the problem with my account at least was that i had a discount applied to my original plan that had to be removed but ATT systems could not remove it automatically. SO, everything was up and running until now! Now i do not have any cell service. It says NO SERVICE. IT turns out that the original sim activation finally went through and took service away from my new sim card that activated in minutes.. Also turns out that they cannot put service back onto a sim that service was taken from so all i have to do is get a new sim and everything should be okay. At least i can use the DAMN thing! its sweet! and the edge service is not too bad either.. Shame on ATT.. i think this was an ATT thing, not Apple!

Oglikn
Jul 1, 2007, 10:51 PM
48 hours and counting. Finally got to a helpful girl at AT&T who told me my account had a note that I needed a new SIM card. I asked why they couldn't have told me that yesterday and she said it just showed up tonight.

I hope I have the luck that others have had with a new SIM card once I visit the AT&T store tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

jmyhasuk
Jul 1, 2007, 10:54 PM
Hey All,

After wrestling with this damn phone all weekend, I'm throwing in the towel. A damn phone isn't worth it. No matter who I talk to, I can't get it resolved. No one knows what's wrong with the activation, let alone how to resolve it.

All support keeps doing is sending me emails saying "Congratulations, AT&T has successfully transferred your existing mobile number." I'm still unable to send or receive calls, do internet, etc.

I'm taking this awful thing back to the Apple Store. And you better believe I'm not paying any ****ing re-stocking fee because they can't get this piece of **** to work.

I hope you folks have better luck than I. Good luck.

PuterSaurus
Jul 1, 2007, 11:08 PM
Hey All,

After wrestling with this damn phone all weekend, I'm throwing in the towel. A damn phone isn't worth it. No matter who I talk to, I can't get it resolved. No one knows what's wrong with the activation, let alone how to resolve it.

All support keeps doing is sending me emails saying "Congratulations, AT&T has successfully transferred your existing mobile number." I'm still unable to send or receive calls, do internet, etc.

I'm taking this awful thing back to the Apple Store. And you better believe I'm not paying any ****ing re-stocking fee because they can't get this piece of **** to work.

I hope you folks have better luck than I. Good luck.

At first I thought this was my post! lol During my last call today, one of the csr's said she couldn't do anything with my account b/c someone 'behind the scenes' was fooling with it. She said it appeared that they were trying to activate it and to give it about an hour or so. I thought yea right and had already made plans to return the phone tomorrow morning. While out with family some 4+ hours later I noticed it started working.

Anyway, I think there are techs (not on the phone) working each individual accounts trying to get everyone up and running. Took me 48 hours to get there myself.

This will definitely be an experience that I won't forgot and I'm sure most here won't either.

jgurfein
Jul 1, 2007, 11:24 PM
I followed many of your advice, and called:
866-801-3600

This appears to be one of the several call centers that the iPhone activation people at AT&T themselves call when they are stumped. The woman was exceedingly understanding of my utter frustration (45 hours and they had deactivated my working blackberry all that time). Unfortunately she didn't handle my account on her system (maybe it's geographical) but she got me to another person equally as nice and useful. That person promptly changed a setting, put me on hold to review it with somebody else, and while I waited for her, the magical, fairy-tale email descended upon my inbox like a unicorn from a fable, and the phone miraculously unlocked via iTunes.

I was actually interviewed by the Wall Street Journal about all this. The story will be in tomorrow's print edition and is already online on their site.

Bottom line is don't wait for it to happen if you've hit that 24+ mark. Not that it won't, as I suspect they are manually auditing all these accounts, but pushing and pushing and calling and calling does, indeed, seem to get results. Anybody at AT&T that tells you 'just wait' or blames it on Apple is clueless and you should not take that answer as legit. On a positive note, it seems as the process has evolved, they are getting better at fixing the problems and are less likely to give that answer.

Or do what my friends told me to do and wait for iPhone 2.0!

(The device is, however, absolutely amazing - worth the wait and hassle? Probably).

Oh and they also credited me a month of my basic services and activation fee.

Good luck. It is unfortunate so many people have had these problems, but the device and services appear to be worth the hype entirely.

rob214
Jul 1, 2007, 11:30 PM
Hi,

I posted earlier about being an existing AT&T with a business discount plan for a BB Pearl and going out to get a new SIM card after waiting until late Sunday for activation. This has been successful... and now I have received two activation messages. In spite of connecting my iPhone to iTunes since, I still have a working phone and a connection to the AT&T network. I haven't experienced what the other poster said about having his cell service cut off and having to pick up a new SIM Card from AT&T the next day. But, now that I've posted this, bad luck will probably come my way ;-). Keeping my fingers just in case.

I would expect that something negative has got to be coming the way of anyone who abandoned a hung activation for a new SIM card... will post again when the other shoe drops.

BTW - iPhone is outstanding. Love this device already.

Dark
Jul 1, 2007, 11:32 PM
Im going to walk into apple...and choke someone out. After 35 hours, im burnt. I was on the phone with a very helpful man who changed over my AT&T Plan to a new compatible one and then connected me to another department who would manually activate my phone. After being on hold for 2 hours, I was disconnected. I called back, and waited 3 hours on hold and was disconnected yet again...and punched a hole in the wall. I took a break for a while...just came back ...called again..waited 30 minutes and was disconected. I was so close, yet so far.

pinkie52
Jul 1, 2007, 11:34 PM
As a devoted Apple customer and shareholder, I am completely dismayed at the bad eye Apple is getting from the gross incompetence of AT&T.

Not only do I not have an activated iPhone after 48 hrs, but I have wasted 7 plus hrs on hold and getting the run around from AT&T "customer support". Add to that an additional trip back to the AT&T store to change my family plan and get new sim cards for all my other cell phones. Yes, amazingly I am an existing AT&T customer (for 6 years). And guess what one of the AT&T reps told me, "It's all Apple's fault!".

Got that? Because my existing AT&T account would not allow me to activate my iPhone, unless I went back into a AT&T store to change the plan and get new sim cards for all my other phones, it was Apple's fault!

So what happened after I got back from the store today? New message that I needed to wait for a new email. I called AT&T and they took my information and told me I would be getting the email within 1 to 2 hrs. That was 9 hrs ago. I called back after 6 hrs and raised hell when they told me that they were going to forward me to another department and that the wait time was a reported 20 minutes. I demanded to talk with a Supervisor
as my experience yesterday was that a reported 10 minute wait meant a 1.5 hr wait. He basically told me that I was keeping him from getting me service by asking to talk with him.

End of the story is that after 1 hr and 20 minutes on hold, with the AT&T rep waiting with me, my cell battery was dying so I asked if she could call me back on my landline. She said sure, just wait till she set it up. I gave her my number, she called me on the landline and said to go ahead and hang up my cell. I did and then guess what? She said," Oops, they lost the connection."

No problem she said, "They are reporting the wait time as 1 hr".

I am on my way to pay the 10% restocking fee to Apple and tomorrow I will cancel my AT&T service, and just let them try to hold me to the new 2 year service agreement!

AT&T has provided me with the worst customer service experience in my life (I didn't even mention the 45 minute wait to be told to call another number that ended up being a fax line!).

BUYER BEWARE!

brasscat
Jul 1, 2007, 11:40 PM
Going into this deal I was already aware of ATT's worse-than-acceptable service. That reputation held true, as they've 1) lied to me about iPhone availability at the Apple store on Friday, and 2) added unwanted accessories to my ATT direct-fulfillment order, as well as a few other annoyances that kept me at a corporate store for hours over the weekend.

The ATT store on Friday night said that all iPhones were sold out all over Dallas - and that they called all the Apple stores in the city to confirm this. I then called the Apple stores upon my return to home to discover ALL the Dallas stores still had stock. I picked a phone up the following morning at Apple.

The ATT store signed me up for Blackberry data plan on my old (freebee) phone that didn't have data capabilities.

Heck, the story goes on and on but I think we all get the point... I'll stop here and save you the grief I experienced. I'm just very GRATEFUL that my iTunes activation went perfectly.

Freakk123
Jul 1, 2007, 11:50 PM
So, finally after about 50 hours and way too much energy, I basically just said "Eff it." So I decided to just kill the activation and start over with A new number. I called the 3701 number after calling the emergency after hours number. After holding for a while, I was helped by a woman who quickly cancelled the activation. I restarted activation, and within 5 minutes it worked. It is most definitely worth the wait. Good luck to those waiting.

By the way, I wrote this on my iPhone. It's called "trogdor the phone.

jennninja
Jul 1, 2007, 11:53 PM
ok... i spent all weekend with a friend of mine going through this mess and for some stupid reason as soon as i saw his iphone up and running i HAD to have one...

now (of course) i am having issues

i have tried to read through this entire thread, but i just keep getting lost... all i am wondering is if anyone out there has had the issue i am having... here it is:

when i first put the iphone on the dock it went to the set up screen and then gave me and error... it told i could cancel and try again, so i did... now when i place the iphone on the dock it chirps then goes to sleep... ITUNES WILL NOT RECOGNIZE IT!

has ANYONE had this happen? if so, what did you do to fix it? i tried calling all these support numbers, but since i can't actually get to the first part of creating an account noone can seem to help me... and of course i can't find any way to contact apple for support

i am so heartbroken i could cry right now! i was fully prepared to have to wait on activation, and that i would have been fine with... but this is just beyond my realm of comprehension! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I LOSE IT!

thanks...:(

brasscat
Jul 1, 2007, 11:56 PM
when i first put the iphone on the dock it went to the set up screen and then gave me and error... it told i could cancel and try again, so i did... now when i place the iphone on the dock it chirps then goes to sleep... ITUNES WILL NOT RECOGNIZE IT!

Give us your computer specs and operating system details, please. And of course, you've downloaded the latest iTunes, right? (need 7.3)

jennninja
Jul 2, 2007, 12:03 AM
Give us your computer specs and operating system details, please. And of course, you've downloaded the latest iTunes, right? (need 7.3)

i am on a pc (blah i know, but i have to have it for work LOL) using windows xp (WITH sp2) and the latest itunes (7.3)

i have uninstalled and reinstalled itunes like the iphone support site suggested... and i have rebooted... nothing seems to help

thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give! :)

*edit*

one more thing... when i first tried to activate i was at my friend's house and used his mac... no issues at all with recognizing the iphone... it wasn't until i brought it home that i started having this problem... not sure if that is relevant or not... the only thing i can think of that would be an issue there is that my initial attempt occured using HIS itunes... maybe? i'm so lost... ::sigh::

killmoms
Jul 2, 2007, 12:07 AM
So, finally after about 50 hours and way too much energy, I basically just said "Eff it." So I decided to just kill the activation and start over with A new number. I called the 3701 number after calling the emergency after hours number. After holding for a while, I was helped by a woman who quickly cancelled the activation. I restarted activation, and within 5 minutes it worked. It is most definitely worth the wait. Good luck to those waiting.

I had my activation cancelled, but every time I connect my phone, it thinks the first part is done and goes straight to naming it/syncing. I don't know what to do now. I'm calling AT&T Customer Service in the morning.

Frustrating.

jennninja
Jul 2, 2007, 12:11 AM
I had my activation cancelled, but every time I connect my phone, it thinks the first part is done and goes straight to naming it/syncing. I don't know what to do now. I'm calling AT&T Customer Service in the morning.

Frustrating.

there's a "first part for naming/syncing?"

i thought this happened AFTER the activation occurred...

see how confused i am! LOLOLOL

MacMyFast
Jul 2, 2007, 12:16 AM

I've been trying to get them to cancel my activation all day. Everyone says something different. Regardless, they won't do it! They claim I just need to wait. "It could take up to 72 hours" they say.

At this point, the only bright spot is that my activation won't cost me anything. That is to say, if it ever actually gets activated. I hate to say this, but I don't think Verizon would have effed this whole process up nearly this bad. They would have just activated the phone perfectly and then disabled every feature.

brasscat
Jul 2, 2007, 12:20 AM
i am on a pc (blah i know, but i have to have it for work LOL) using windows xp (WITH sp2) and the latest itunes (7.3)

i have uninstalled and reinstalled itunes like the iphone support site suggested... and i have rebooted... nothing seems to help

thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give! :)
:

When I picked up my iPhone on Saturday morning - there were a few people in line that were in your same shoes... Their Windows wasn't recognizing their iPhones.

One person was running 64-bit Windows, which isn't supported. I'm assuming you're not running 64-bit Windows though...

There's an article that Apple posted about Windows machines not recognizing iPods... check it out and see if this fix is relevent to your case:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93716

Although the above article doesn't exactly match your troubles, some of the maintenance items here may help you.

Also, may be a silly idea, but try plugging in the USB cable to another port, of somehow make sure the port you're plugged into works.

You can also check to make sure the iPod services are running in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

Hope these suggestions help you!

jennninja
Jul 2, 2007, 12:24 AM
When I picked up my iPhone on Saturday morning - there were a few people in line that were in your same shoes... Their Windows wasn't recognizing their iPhones.

One person was running 64-bit Windows, which isn't supported. I'm assuming you're not running 64-bit Windows though...

There's an article that Apple posted about Windows machines not recognizing iPods... check it out and see if this fix is relevent to your case:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93716

Although the above article doesn't exactly match your troubles, some of the maintenance items here may help you.

Also, may be a silly idea, but try plugging in the USB cable to another port, of somehow make sure the port you're plugged into works.

You can also check to make sure the iPod services are running in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

Hope these suggestions help you!

thanks!!!

headed there now to try this out... hope it will work

jennninja
Jul 2, 2007, 12:49 AM
brasscat you are a LIFE SAVER!

::major hugs and kisses::

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH!!!!

it was the services had been stopped... all i did was restart it and it worked like a dream!

THANKS!!!

<3

Furgster
Jul 2, 2007, 02:04 AM
my iphone is working great but i still cant receive calls ughhh!

pfbautista
Jul 2, 2007, 02:16 AM
After nearly 44 hours, my iBrick is now a bonafide iPhone! I knew that I had a special situation (porting number over from T-Mobile) and that it would take at least 24 hours for activation, but I didn't know that it would take THIS long.

Didn't do anything special -- just waited. I began the activation process on Friday @ 11:05 PM. On Sunday morning, I was still in activation 'limbo' so I called the AT&T and Apple Customer Service numbers posted in this thread. Both reps told me that my number had already been ported and that my phone was showing up as 'activated' in the system. They advised me to just wait for the final Activation email.

After reading the posts here, I was ready to go to the AT&T store on Sunday evening to demand a new SIM card; however, I decided to hold out a little longer. I was doing work on my MacBook Pro when *bam* ... at 7:36 PM on Sunday, my iPhone suddenly powered up and I noticed that the Activation message in iTunes had changed from 'Your phone requires additional activation time' to 'Congratulations, AT&T is now activating your phone.' *weeeeeee*

I don't know if this will help, but the last AT&T rep I spoke to told me to make sure that I keep my phone connected to iTunes while I wait for the Activation email. When my phone began activating, I was expecting to receive some sort of email confirming that my phone was activated; however, I never received the email -- most likely b/c my iPhone was already connected to iTunes when the activation finally went through the system. So this may be worth a try for those of you who are in a similar situation.

Good luck to those who are still in the process of activating! I hated the huge wait and was getting ready to throw the iBrick out the window, but trust me ... the wait was worth it! :D

jj28
Jul 2, 2007, 02:23 AM
So I'm actually an iPhone AT&T activation agent... I'd be happy to truthfully answer any questions.

Furgster
Jul 2, 2007, 02:31 AM
So I'm actually an AT&T activation agent... I'd be happy to honestly answer any questions.

hi, i got my iphone activated abotu 24 hours ago but i cant receive incoming calls? how much longer do you think i should wait?

jj28
Jul 2, 2007, 02:45 AM
hi, i got my iphone activated abotu 24 hours ago but i cant receive incoming calls? how much longer do you think i should wait?
My supervisor told me today that it should only take a couple of hours after the phone has been ported over and activated.

You could try calling the activations line, but we'll likely have no idea what the problem is, and tell you to either continue waiting or transfer you to our porting department, who will also probably tell you to wait.

gadgetmacfreak
Jul 2, 2007, 03:07 AM
For those of you who have an activated phone with no phone service:

I am an old "AT&T Blue" customer -- I have three phones that were on the old blue plan. i knew that i would need to change to the new Orange Family Talk plan.

Bought the iPhone on Friday ... got all the usual emails...called on Saturday morning to change to the Orange plan....after a few hours the iPhone was activated except for the actual phone service. This was fine with me..gave me a chance to play around with things. But eventually I wanted to use the phone part.

i had been told it might take 24-48 hours. But i called today and this is not the case. the other phones on the plan are unlocked phones that will work with the "orange plans" but will require a new "orange plan" SIM card. I figured that when they changed the plan over, the iPhone would start working but the other phones would stop working. At that point I would need to go into an ATT store and get new SIM cards for the other phones.

I was just told by an agent and her supervisor that they will not be able to activate the phone portion of the iPhone until I have the other devices ready...so I will need to go into the store with all my phones.

Don't know how many of you are in this situation but thought i would let you know that your best bet might be to forget about callng into ATT and hit the store. I will report back tomorrow.

Update: Went to the store with all my phones and recevied 3 new SIM cards. Went back to my office and 30 minutes later was up and running. See post #1487

Furgster
Jul 2, 2007, 03:12 AM
My supervisor told me today that it should only take a couple of hours after the phone has been ported over and activated.

You could try calling the activations line, but we'll likely have no idea what the problem is, and tell you to either continue waiting or transfer you to our porting department, who will also probably tell you to wait.

figured as much, oh well, the waiting shall continue...

brasscat
Jul 2, 2007, 03:24 AM
I don't know why you're all complaining... the company that's actually responsible for your iPhone activations says it's "VERY PLEASED" with itself! ;)

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9738494-1.html

Read it an weep!

Furgster
Jul 2, 2007, 03:36 AM
I don't know why you're all complaining... the company that's actually responsible for your iPhone activations says it's "VERY PLEASED" with itself! ;)

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9738494-1.html

Read it an weep!

that is ridiculous

fbx
Jul 2, 2007, 04:02 AM
As a devoted Apple customer and shareholder, I am completely dismayed at the bad eye Apple is getting from the gross incompetence of AT&T.

Not only do I not have an activated iPhone after 48 hrs, but I have wasted 7 plus hrs on hold and getting the run around from AT&T "customer support". Add to that an additional trip back to the AT&T store to change my family plan and get new sim cards for all my other cell phones. Yes, amazingly I am an existing AT&T customer (for 6 years). And guess what one of the AT&T reps told me, "It's all Apple's fault!".

Got that? Because my existing AT&T account would not allow me to activate my iPhone, unless I went back into a AT&T store to change the plan and get new sim cards for all my other phones, it was Apple's fault!

So what happened after I got back from the store today? New message that I needed to wait for a new email. I called AT&T and they took my information and told me I would be getting the email within 1 to 2 hrs. That was 9 hrs ago. I called back after 6 hrs and raised hell when they told me that they were going to forward me to another department and that the wait time was a reported 20 minutes. I demanded to talk with a Supervisor
as my experience yesterday was that a reported 10 minute wait meant a 1.5 hr wait. He basically told me that I was keeping him from getting me service by asking to talk with him.

End of the story is that after 1 hr and 20 minutes on hold, with the AT&T rep waiting with me, my cell battery was dying so I asked if she could call me back on my landline. She said sure, just wait till she set it up. I gave her my number, she called me on the landline and said to go ahead and hang up my cell. I did and then guess what? She said," Oops, they lost the connection."

No problem she said, "They are reporting the wait time as 1 hr".

I am on my way to pay the 10% restocking fee to Apple and tomorrow I will cancel my AT&T service, and just let them try to hold me to the new 2 year service agreement!

AT&T has provided me with the worst customer service experience in my life (I didn't even mention the 45 minute wait to be told to call another number that ended up being a fax line!).

BUYER BEWARE!

You could be right, but my clear sense is that the difficulty was that piece of model software iTunes and your beloved Apple Corp.

That said, once it's working the iPhone is pretty splendid. Get yourself a new SIM and re-activate and see if that doesn't fix you up. It did me (after 46 hours of waiting). I also got the strong sense that I could have gotten the new SIM at any time in those 46 hrs and it would have worked whenever I got it.

avkills
Jul 2, 2007, 05:12 AM
So I'm actually an iPhone AT&T activation agent... I'd be happy to truthfully answer any questions.

Truthfully, did servers crash and lose activations, hence the insane waiting times as things were attempted manually?

I ask because I finally said screw it and drove back to an At&t store, popped in a new SIM, and activated it in less than a minute. My first attempt was a 40+ hour ordeal.

I was a current customer so I had no porting just rate plan changes.

-mark

inc77
Jul 2, 2007, 05:22 AM

Frustrating.

Yes its the same problem i have... they put a "commitment" ticket on my problem... we'll see what happens

jmyhasuk
Jul 2, 2007, 07:00 AM
The plot thickens!

I just received another activation email this morning for a totally different number than the one I ported. I was assured that no one activation was in process, and I instructed the folks there to cancel any other activations-in-progress.

So now supposedly I have two mobile numbers, my old ported one and a new one.

barnetda
Jul 2, 2007, 07:13 AM
After spending 7 hours on phone to various ATT depts since friday and being promised it would be activated by this am at the very latest i am now being told it may take 5 days!!!!! as its being ported from t-mob. Its just bs

WTF !!!!!!1

digimidi
Jul 2, 2007, 07:41 AM
I too have been waiting for a while (over 41 hours) to get my iPhone activated. I finally got the activation email this morning. Click the link and iTunes still is saying I need additional time. AT&T not much help at this point as they are saying everything on the account looks activated. The sim card is already active as it works in my Treo 750. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Gil

jmacdonagh
Jul 2, 2007, 10:03 AM
The customer service rep from the porting department gave me this number:
1-888-898-7685

I don't know if your number is a typo or you wrote it down incorrectly.

Thank you! Nope, I wrote it down wrong. Gonna get the ball rolling today.

nick718
Jul 2, 2007, 10:27 AM
I'm an existing Cingular customer. Bought the phone on Sat early afternoon, still waiting for the activation email. Called about 8 different ATT folks, nobody could get me going, they just keep saying to wait. What should I do? Should I try going to an ATT store for a new Sim? I'm not porting a number, so I don't get why this is taking so long, but I'm so angry.
Thanks all!

debo
Jul 2, 2007, 10:59 AM
I've been on hold for 90 minutes. This is ridiculous.

dnaleromj
Jul 2, 2007, 11:00 AM
2.5 hours on hold so far. I guess I expected that this would happen especially since the people that were need for all of us "problem" customers were off over the weekend.

Anywho, my situation is this:
Phone 3 days old
New line of service requested
Phone not yet activated
Instructed to wait various amounts of time by ATT. Anywhere from "It will be activated in 1 or 2 hours' to "There is nothing you can do but wait. And you may have to wait for up to 5 days".

Sigh...

El Jomo

herrade
Jul 2, 2007, 11:27 AM
FWIW, I just spoke to a CSR who is not sure whether I can simply replace my new number with my old number once I actually decide to do the port (I activated without porting old # from Verizon, so I have a new ATT #). He said I may have to have two numbers on my account in order to keep my Verizon number... for the price of $9.99 per month, though he did say that ATT might develop some new options given the number of odd configurations that have evolved in this crazy process.

Does anyone have a more definitive answer?

jmyhasuk
Jul 2, 2007, 11:49 AM
After all the drama with the phone, I'm taking it back after work. DO NOT pay a restocking fee; the store manager I talked to said they were obligated to take it back no charge. She was also going to call AT&T and see what she could do.

DO NOT PAY THE RESTOCKING FEE!

Also folks, the media is wrong. It is not an AT&T problem. My SIM card was activated, and I could use it in other phones. Its the iTunes unlocking process that is broken. I still can't unlock it.

Sorry, I'll wait for version 2.

ShellyFM
Jul 2, 2007, 11:58 AM
40+ hours for me as a former BLUE PLAN member...3701 number worked...got a CS rep who needed to add some feature to my plan and now it's up and running!

BLUE PLAN members who were forced to change their plans, anyone get a good deal?

So you couldn't keep your plan? What did you end up doing?

fazekas
Jul 2, 2007, 12:01 PM
Got my iPhone on Friday. Went to the AT&T store in downtown San Diego, there were only 24 people in line at 4 PM, so I thought I might as well wait 2 hours. By 6 PM there were almost 100 people in line. Got in the store, knew exactly what I wanted, the sales persons tried to ring up the phone, their POS system was so overwhelmed that it took 20 MINUTES for a simple transaction to process in their system, YIKES!

So I went home to activate it, got the wonderful cannot activate, call AT&T message in iTunes. I've had an account with them for 9 years, this going all the way back when they were known as Pacific Bell Wireless in California in 1998. So I call, the first rep says that I cannot activate because the type of contract is ineligible for the upgrade to the $20 data add on, and that I would need to get a whole new plan, even though NOWHERE on their brochure does it say that. Also for some reason their system had me flagged as a business account when this has ALWAYS been a personal account, it placed a lock that they had issues with figuring out how to unlock. After 90 minutes and 3 separate calls to AT&T purgatory, I finally got the phone activated.

First off the phone is awesome, far better in real life, especially the touch screen, than any photo or video could show. Apple truly lived up to all the expectations. AT&T basically sucked big time. I wonder how Jobs would feel knowing a mess AT&T has been with the activations and basically creating a bad image. Not that any of the other wireless carriers are that much better, I know people with Sprint and Verizon and I would say they are just as messed up as AT&T

ShellyFM
Jul 2, 2007, 12:03 PM
FWIW, I just spoke to a CSR who is not sure whether I can simply replace my new number with my old number once I actually decide to do the port (I activated without porting old # from Verizon, so I have a new ATT #). He said I may have to have two numbers on my account in order to keep my Verizon number... for the price of $9.99 per month, though he did say that ATT might develop some new options given the number of odd configurations that have evolved in this crazy process.

Does anyone have a more definitive answer?

I signed as a new customer because I was told by multiple AT&T personnel that I could port my number over anytime in the 1st 30 days.

mrowl
Jul 2, 2007, 12:04 PM
After all the drama with the phone, I'm taking it back after work. DO NOT pay a restocking fee; the store manager I talked to said they were obligated to take it back no charge. She was also going to call AT&T and see what she could do.

DO NOT PAY THE RESTOCKING FEE!

Also folks, the media is wrong. It is not an AT&T problem. My SIM card was activated, and I could use it in other phones. Its the iTunes unlocking process that is broken. I still can't unlock it.

Sorry, I'll wait for version 2.

enjoy your 2 year wait.

TheSlush
Jul 2, 2007, 12:05 PM
Now they won't even let me wait on hold! A recording is saying they cannot take my call due to high call volume, then it hangs up!

WHAT???

Never thought I'd actually have to feel privileged to be allowed to wait on hold for hours!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Blurg
Jul 2, 2007, 12:09 PM
I would suggest sticking with it, it will be worth it in the end. Eventually my problem was fixed by calling this number:

1-877-777-4192

I got right through to an agent every time I called, and they were always friendly and helpful. They sorted out my account, and about an hour later I was activated.

Good luck!

chipchen
Jul 2, 2007, 12:24 PM
I would suggest sticking with it, it will be worth it in the end. Eventually my problem was fixed by calling this number:

1-877-777-4192

I got right through to an agent every time I called, and they were always friendly and helpful. They sorted out my account, and about an hour later I was activated.

Good luck!

You know, I was very surprised... I thought that I would be waiting on hold for a long time the three times I called... but someone picked up right away.

Earlier in the thread I said to try a hard reset and reconnecting. But I said the hard reset was holding the home button 12 seconds. Apparently, it's not.. it's holding the sleep button and home button at the same time for several seconds. You'll know there's a reset when you see the Apple logo again.

So unplug the iphone and try it.... see what happens.

scrogers
Jul 2, 2007, 12:48 PM
I signed as a new customer because I was told by multiple AT&T personnel that I could port my number over anytime in the 1st 30 days.

+1... I have been following this thread now for days. I got a weird message in iTunes saying "The number you have entered cannot be transferred..." during setup. I then called ATT as I REALLY want my number (this was all Sat morn). They told me that they weren’t sure why iTunes couldn't transfer the number, but that I could do it later this week.

I just got off the phone with the porting dept. For some reason the computer says there are "network issues" with my old number (from Sprint) but my CSR talked to "the guys" who said it can in fact be ported over.

I have just started the "case" to port my number. The CSR said timing is 24hrs from when the case is processed; however, she then told me that the computer has said that my request will take place "by July 5th” (so if there are issues, don’t call before then I guess).

I am still glad I got a new temp number, and am porting now, I just hope it all goes smoothly, we'll see, at least my phone activated and works.

chipchen
Jul 2, 2007, 12:58 PM
+1... I have been following this thread now for days. I got a weird message in iTunes saying "The number you have entered cannot be transferred..." during setup. I then called ATT as I REALLY want my number (this was all Sat morn). They told me that they weren’t sure why iTunes couldn't transfer the number, but that I could do it later this week.

I just got off the phone with the porting dept. For some reason the computer says there are "network issues" with my old number (from Sprint) but my CSR talked to "the guys" who said it can in fact be ported over.

I have just started the "case" to port my number. The CSR said timing is 24hrs from when the case is processed; however, she then told me that the computer has said that my request will take place "by July 5th” (so if there are issues, don’t call before then I guess).

I am still glad I got a new temp number, and am porting now, I just hope it all goes smoothly, we'll see, at least my phone activated and works.

A lot of people porting numbers got random problems... Verizon, Sprint, and other carriers have been locking numbers from porting... I wouldn't be surprised if they got together (or separately) decided to cause porting issues.

scrogers
Jul 2, 2007, 01:03 PM
A lot of people porting numbers got random problems... Verizon, Sprint, and other carriers have been locking numbers from porting... I wouldn't be surprised if they got together (or separately) decided to cause porting issues.

Yeah, seems like a low blow, but it wouldn't surprise me too. Anything to slow the process I guess. I just hope it goes through, as I really don't want to change numbers again (Sprint MADE me change 3 years ago due to “carrier coverage issues”).

Still loving the phone though!!

dnaleromj
Jul 2, 2007, 01:11 PM
Finally spoke to human. 30 minutes later my phone was finally activated.

Overall, I am happy that the phone is activated, pleased that I reach a helpful human, but absolutely not satisfied with ATTs service and preparation for the launch.

Since ATT is the only provider... I guess Ill have to eat their poo so long as I want the uber cool iPhone...

El Jomo

Dark
Jul 2, 2007, 01:22 PM
Ive talked with about 8 representatives within the past day ..and i've been on hold for about a combined total of about 9 hours and ive had about 2 hours of sleep....im serious. Every time I talk to the activation department...they tell me that there trying to activate my phone ...but there systems keep crashing or updating ...and to call back in two hours....every time! BULL****INGSHIT!!! They know damm well they have no clue what to do. I'm just about to reach the 48 hour mark that my iphone does not work. Im on the phone with a jamacian man as we speak that understands I'm about to track him down and kill him if he doesn't get my phone to work. I'm done playing the nice patient guy.

nick718
Jul 2, 2007, 01:31 PM
has anyone had any luck contacting Apple support?

Dark
Jul 2, 2007, 01:35 PM
Oh my god ...i think im crying . It works ....it actually works. Its so beautiful. Right at the 47 hour mark ..it works.

barnetda
Jul 2, 2007, 01:38 PM
Ive been trying to activate since 730 on Friday eve. Still nothing. I have given up counting the amount of times that i have spoken to ATT.
My number has been ported over from t-mob and they can see my account but still no activation.
I just gave up on an ATT rep who said to me that they now cant tell me when it will be activated as so many people (50,000 she said!!) bought the phone on fri and sat!!
Clueless but i now dont think i will get this thing activated. Last email i had was on sat eve when it sais that activation was completing.

$700 paperweight.

nick718
Jul 2, 2007, 01:38 PM
Oh my god ...i think im crying . It works ....it actually works. Its so beautiful. Right at the 47 hour mark ..it works.

Dark, can you document what you finally did to get it working? Were you porting a number or already an ATT customer?

Which number did you call?

Thanks

AustinMilbarge
Jul 2, 2007, 01:39 PM
Hi guys.. Longtime lurker, first post.

I started this painful activation process Friday night and have been following the thread ever since. I've noticed it has slowed down significantly, though. Is that because people are at work today or are you guys actually getting your phones activated?

FYI, I'm porting from Verizon. 60+ hours in. Anybody been waiting longer?

barnetda
Jul 2, 2007, 01:45 PM
Hi guys.. Longtime lurker, first post.

I started this painful activation process Friday night and have been following the thread ever since. I've noticed it has slowed down significantly, though. Is that because people are at work today or are you guys actually getting your phones activated?

FYI, I'm porting from Verizon. 60+ hours in. Anybody been waiting longer?

66 hours me! i must have spent 10 hours trying to get through/speaking to ATT.

digimidi
Jul 2, 2007, 01:52 PM
Well, as others have done, I went to ATT and got another sim card. Went to Starbucks and was up and running in 3 minutes. I personally think some of the pre-installed sim cards are causing problems. My original Apple installed sim was activated (checked it in my Treo) but never could get iTunes to unlock the phone. If you are still having problems, get another sim. It works!

Gil

nick718
Jul 2, 2007, 01:55 PM
Well, that has sold me, I'll be heading to my nearest ATT store right after work to get a new SIM.

Do you just pop in the new SIM and start the activation process from the beginning in iTunes?

Or did ATT give you a new SIM card that is already active with your information?

Thanks

thecityatnight
Jul 2, 2007, 02:00 PM
hey guys just hang on, be patient i know its hard but be patient because it is completely worth it. I am posting from my iPhone now and it is the most amazing thing i have ever layed my hands on. Trust me its completely worth it. Mine only took 10 hours to activate but it didnt port my number till this morning, but im so glad i have it now its amazing!

jj28
Jul 2, 2007, 02:30 PM
Truthfully, did servers crash and lose activations, hence the insane waiting times as things were attempted manually?

I ask because I finally said screw it and drove back to an At&t store, popped in a new SIM, and activated it in less than a minute. My first attempt was a 40+ hour ordeal.

I was a current customer so I had no porting just rate plan changes.

-mark
They didn't tell us it crashed, it's possible, but the system is also riddled with glitches.

It seems like when existing customers transfer their numbers over, a lot of the time the old rate plan also gets transferred, and unfortunetly those rate plans are inelegitable for the data plan (mmv1) and the apple tracking (1apl).

Soooo, they have to be processed manually, but the folks in India just add same rate plan and when they see they can't add the features, they pend the order which sends off another email to you guys telling you to call in.

And when you call the activation line you'll probably get a clueless agent who will tell you to keep waiting. If you happen to find someone that knows what the problem is, they'll tell you that they'll have to transfer you to the customer care department to get a valid rate plan (we can't add them). When the rate plan is fixed, you'll have to call the activation line again and hopefully find someone that is willing to finally activate it.

digimidi
Jul 2, 2007, 02:44 PM
Well, that has sold me, I'll be heading to my nearest ATT store right after work to get a new SIM.

Do you just pop in the new SIM and start the activation process from the beginning in iTunes?

Or did ATT give you a new SIM card that is already active with your information?

Thanks

They give you a blank sim and the activation process starts over. It then only takes a few minutes. Do it, this thing is sick!

Gil

mactarkus
Jul 2, 2007, 02:55 PM
So I went to the store as told and the guy there didn't know why I would need a SIM card. He made some calls and seemed to be in touch with the person who would make it happen. They were to personally call me within three hours to complete the port and activation. After five hours no call so I'm on hold again. I'm looking to set the record for the longest activation! Read all about it at:

kemper28
Jul 2, 2007, 03:37 PM
mactarkus

Go get a sim card.. I am in fort walton beach. There is a guy at the uptown station store that can help you name is d-andre. I waited 40 hours, got new sim and was up in 2 min.

mactarkus
Jul 2, 2007, 03:48 PM
Were you an existing customer or were you porting a number?? I'm on the phone with AT&T now and the rep is talking like she can do the port while I wait. Of course I'm very suspicious.

mactarkus

Go get a sim card.. I am in fort walton beach. There is a guy at the uptown station store that can help you name is d-andre. I waited 40 hours, got new sim and was up in 2 min.

D1G1T4L
Jul 2, 2007, 03:49 PM
mactarkus

Am I able to do that? I'm in the middle of a port forward and wonder if it will just mess things up more. Everyone is saying my account is activated but just can't figure out why I'm not getting the activation email.

I have told them I think it has to do with iTunes being reset somehow during the process and now every time I plug in my iPhone it goes to the "Lets Get Started" screen instead of waiting to be activated screen. Ohh well they don't listen and still wait.

Oglikn
Jul 2, 2007, 03:50 PM
Well, it took me close to 60 hours. Saturday night I was told the phone was active, just to give it time. I knew this was not the case, but I gave up. Last night, I received the second e-mail stating that AT&T needed more information to activate my phone. I called one of the faster numbers (not the iphone activation number), and the girl there told me there was a note on my account that I needed to get another SIM card.

Went to the AT&T store this morning, came home, went through the activation process and all is good. Finally!

For all of those still waiting, I'm pretty sure you need a new SIM. Calling is just not worth it. I accomplishes nothing but raising your blood pressure.

jj28
Jul 2, 2007, 03:55 PM
Were you an existing customer or were you porting a number?? I'm on the phone with AT&T now and the rep is talking like she can do the port while I wait. Of course I'm very suspicious.
Agents can do that. But it takes like an hour.

mactarkus
Jul 2, 2007, 03:55 PM
Before I go off demanding a SIM card, could you state the nature of your activation? Existing customer? New customer? Port required from previous carrier?

Thanks!

Well, it took me close to 60 hours. Saturday night I was told the phone was active, just to give it time. I knew this was not the case, but I gave up. Last night, I received the second e-mail stating that AT&T needed more information to activate my phone. I called one of the faster numbers (not the iphone activation number), and the girl there told me there was a note on my account that I needed to get another SIM card.

Went to the AT&T store this morning, came home, went through the activation process and all is good. Finally!

For all of those still waiting, I'm pretty sure you need a new SIM. Calling is just not worth it. I accomplishes nothing but raising your blood pressure.

jj28
Jul 2, 2007, 03:59 PM
Am I able to do that? I'm in the middle of a port forward and wonder if it will just mess things up more. Everyone is saying my account is activated but just can't figure out why I'm not getting the activation email.

I have told them I think it has to do with iTunes being reset somehow during the process and now every time I plug in my iPhone it goes to the "Lets Get Started" screen instead of waiting to be activated screen. Ohh well they don't listen and still wait.
The status of your order is probably pending or cancelled. Most agents don't realize that the order manager needs to be updated for the phone to actually work.

For other phones it's just a matter of entering in the SIM and IMEI numebrs and voila.

D1G1T4L
Jul 2, 2007, 04:02 PM
The status of your order is probably pending or cancelled. Most agents don't realize that the order manager needs to be updated for the phone to actually work.

For other phones it's just a matter of entering in the SIM and IMEI numebrs and voila.

It was canceled at one point and it had to be rebuilt. They had no clue why it was canceled. Now they say they see it active on their side but of course I'm stuck at the "Lets Get Started" screen with no email.

kemper28
Jul 2, 2007, 04:07 PM
mactarkus

New customer... But I bet your whole problem is just that you need to restart the activation... The sim card will do this... You can always do like I did and get the phone working with an at&t number then port. Hope this helps

READ #1169 it is a post by by that explains a little better

jj28
Jul 2, 2007, 04:07 PM
It was canceled at one point and it had to be rebuilt. They had no clue why it was canceled. Now they say they see it active on their side but of course I'm stuck at the "Lets Get Started" screen with no email.
I would ask for the status of your order specifically in order manager. If it's anything other than activated - port request submitted it wont work. For some reason some order get stuck in activated - requires validation. An agent may see that and assume everything is working okay.

D1G1T4L
Jul 2, 2007, 04:10 PM
I would ask for the status of your order specifically in order manager. If it's anything other than activated - port request submitted it wont work. For some reason some order get stuck in activated - requires validation. An agent may see that and assume everything is working okay.

They had some "manager/supervisor" working it today. Port has gone through from what everyone has seen and my old Sprint phone doesn't have service anymore. Heck I have no service right now :( They have tried to manually send the email several times but I don't get it. I've gotten everything else from AT&T. I just have the strange feeling that now my phone is sitting at the "Lets Get Started" screen in iTunes that has something to do with it. But of course I honesty don't know. They are just lost on why I'm not getting my activation email.

kemper28
Jul 2, 2007, 04:11 PM
D1G1T4L

All you need to do is get your account details like your phone number. Now just go through the activation again and select existing customer then there are 2 questions under that... Do not pick add a line. pick the other one I think it is update equipment. answer the other questions and you will be activated in like 2 min. read #1169 for a better idea of what is going on... Hint.... The at&t (most of them) have no idea how or what the itunes activation is.

good luck...

jj28
Jul 2, 2007, 04:12 PM
deleted

kemper28
Jul 2, 2007, 04:13 PM
D1G1T4L

I think you are golden... Activate again through itunes... You can not mess anything up by doing that... I was right were you are and I was afraid to activate again... but since you now have an at&t account it will work no problem... No more than 3 min. and you will be up and running.

D1G1T4L
Jul 2, 2007, 04:24 PM
D1G1T4L

I think you are golden... Activate again through itunes... You can not mess anything up by doing that... I was right were you are and I was afraid to activate again... but since you now have an at&t account it will work no problem... No more than 3 min. and you will be up and running.

Now says AT&T is processing your Application. Hey and I even got an email. We will see :D

jrjazzman
Jul 2, 2007, 04:46 PM
I fought with AT&T all weekend to no avail. Went into the AT&T store this morning, and the rep said, oh, you need to pick a data plan. He entered my data plan into the computer and 10 seconds later my phone was activated. I believe that if your phone doesn't activate quickly, there something wrong and it won't fix itself. The people on the phones in the AT&T call centers are totally clueless. It's not their fault, they just haven't been trained for the sake of secrecy. Every person I talked to at an AT&T call center thought the problem had a unique cause and solution. I probably talked to 20 different people. The guy in the store was the only one who knew what the problem was and it was fixed instantly.

Unfortunately, I'm now that I'm activated, I'm pretty disappointed with the iPhone. For all its greatness, there are a lot of gotchas (which I'll save for another post). I can only hope that things will be fixed with software updates.

Good luck, and don't blindly "wait 24-72 hours". It's BS.

Jeremy

jrjazzman
Jul 2, 2007, 04:53 PM
I also wanted to mention that sometime Sunday AT&T cancelled my activation since it was clearly not going to work. This cancellation happened AFTER my number was ported. Now, AT&T can't access the number, yet T-Mobile no longer has it since they ported it out. AT&T opened a ticket with, apparently, the people who actually understand porting. They also warned me that it is likely that I'll have to keep my temporary number permanently. Lovely. This is now officially the worst consumer experience I can remember having.

Jeremy

mactarkus
Jul 2, 2007, 05:08 PM
It seems my case is unlike any of those I've read here. I'm on the phone now with AT&T and they are creating a new account for me because the other had the wrong market entered -- whatever that means. I'm worn out. Read the the blow-by-blow at:

James.

D1G1T4L
Jul 2, 2007, 05:09 PM
It seems my case is unlike any of those I've read here. I'm on the phone now with AT&T and they are creating a new account for me because the other had the wrong market entered -- whatever that means. I'm worn out. Read the the blow-by-blow at:

James.

Keep your head up Mactarkus..........there are still some of us out there fighting to get our phones activated. :(

PS: Where did you get the Apple Hat you were wearing in line? Love it!

Furgster
Jul 2, 2007, 05:12 PM
after about 2 full days finally got the thing 100% activated, it seems that this is entirely based upon luck

phoneworthy
Jul 2, 2007, 05:27 PM
Bought phone on Friday, 6:30 pm.

Started process at 7:40 pm on Friday 29th.

Numerous calls. Waiting.

Activation took place at 12:02 am on Monday the 2nd. Well over 50 hours.

Per AT&T rep/manager, the issue was that a tracking number was not assigned to my account upon completion of activation which would indicate to iTunes Store that I am eligible to receive the magic email.

The instant this manager identified that the tracking number was missing, I was up and running with 5 minutes.

mactarkus
Jul 2, 2007, 05:27 PM
I think I've been on the phone with the same person for over an hour now. There are two of them working on my account now. I believe I purchased the hat through an eBay auction years ago.

Keep your head up Mactarkus..........there are still some of us out there fighting to get our phones activated. :(

PS: Where did you get the Apple Hat you were wearing in line? Love it!

schuylerc
Jul 2, 2007, 05:32 PM
I finally got the iPhone working yesterday, after 42 hours of waiting - about 6 or 7 of those on the phone with AT&T or Apple. What follows is only my experience, and my speculation as to the causes. I can't PROVE any of this. All times are EST.

Friday, 6/29/07
6:19 PM - Bought iPhone at the local AT&T store after waiting in line for about 5 hours - GREAT experience in line and with the store personnel.

6:45 PM - Got home, and updated to 10.4.10 and iTunes 7.3

7:00 PM - Started the activation process in iTunes. I chose the iPhone $79 plan (i.e. 900 min. + iPhone data), asked to port my number from my Verizon acct., and tried to enter my credit pre-approval number from the AT&T store. iTunes would not take my pre-approval number, as it was 14 digits, not 9, 12, or 13. I ended up leaving the pre-approval field blank. iTunes ran through everything, then left me with the "Your activation requires more time to complete" screen.

7:13 PM - got two emails - one stating that the port would take around 24 hours to complete, but that i should be prepared to activate the iPhone before then. I quote, "Phone service is scheduled to be disconnected on your current phone at or after 7:13 PM EDT on June 30." The other email stated that iTunes was working on my activation, and that i would receive another email when it was done. I didn't know it at the time, but I would not receive another email for 42 hours.

10:00 PM - finished band practice and still no email - i called the number given on the original iTunes page (877-419-4500). They answered after one ring and said their servers were just having trouble with the high volume of activations and that it would take "up to 6 hours to activate." At this point, i started keeping up with this thread on Mac Forums. I left for my gf's house, hoping to have an email when i returned in the AM.

Saturday, 6/30/07
9:00 AM - Got home and checked email first thing - no activation email! So I started making phone calls - first to the number i called last night, which now had a 30 minute hold time before someone told me that it might take "up to 24 hours to activate." This was as much as i ever got out of this call center. My next approach was to call the iPhone Activation number from the other email (877-800-3701). I got disconnected 5 times before actually reaching a person around 10:00 AM. The guy on the phone seemed to be knowledgeable, and was more than courteous, so i had hope. He said that everything looked fine, but that he was having "technical trouble on his end" and needed to get his tech support guy to help him out. I stayed on hold for the next hour, with him checking in every 4 or 5 minutes to make sure that i was still there and to thank me for my patience. He said that he'd "elevated my request status twice" since we'd been on the phone. In the end, my cell phone dropped the call after about an hour and i never got a call back, even though the CS rep had specifically asked me for a call back number.

~11:00 AM - Having read more on the forums, I had started to guess what some possible issues with activation were, and which ones would affect my account - primarilly the port from Verizon and the lack of a credit pre-approval number. (My credit was fine, just the number was wrong.) So i put a call in to the porting support line (888-898-7685). This led me through a bunch of automated questions and answers, and ended by telling me that my phone was active! I knew better, as the little picture of earth was still staring out at me! I put in another call to 877-800-3701, and this time asked for them to verify all the info on my account (after sitting on hold for a while, of course). The rep seemed to find a problem with my plan, and transferred me over to a customer service line (800-331-0500). Here, they found that i didn't have a data plan selected! (I had only ever selected the $79 iPhone plan in itunes!) Somehow among the servers, my plan had become a simple voice only plan, and that would be holding up my activation. With this problem fixed, the rep wanted to confim that the phone was active on AT&T's end, so we went over the SIM and ICCID numbers. These were NOT active, we found out - it seems that at least some of the iPhones shipped with SIMs that were never activated in the AT&T system. I suspect that this is why some people have had success with swapping SIMs and getting the phone to work. After a bit longer on hold and a transfer to the Activation Support line (877-777-4189), we confirmed that everything was working on AT&T's end and that ALL i was waiting on was an email from iTunes to actually activate the phone.

2:00 PM - by this point, i had to leave to get to a gig about 3 hours away. i left the iPhone at home (still not working) and took my old Verizon phone with me (still working). I fully expected an email by my return in the morning - after all, that would be MORE than 24 hours since i started this process, right?

3:00 PM - the old Verizon phone goes dead, and my number is now ringing to an AT&T voicemail. i am hopeful that this signifies that the elusive email is waiting for me!

Sunday, 7/1/07
12:00 PM - i get home, and run to the computer - and NO $%#^@& EMAIL!!! I can't believe it and really start to lose my patience. I put in one more call to the regular iPhone Activation line (877-800-3701), fuming mad at this point. I am on hold over an hour, and it's obvious that this is a different call center than on saturday (different hold patterns). I finally get to talk to someone around 1:40 PM- he says that everything looks fine, and that i will be getting the email any second! I check my email, and by god, there it is! I had just checked it 1 minute earlier, so the only explanations that make sense are that i just HAPPENED to call and get through at the exact moment that my email would go through - OR - that he could somehow tell the system to send out that email. Either way, it started working, and i've had no real problems since!

I know this is long, but i wanted to share how it worked out for me, in hopes that it may provide the info someone else needs to get their phone going.

All in all, i called 5 different phone numbers to get it working.

I believe that i had two major problems that caused it to take so long - the plan screwup on the servers, and the SIM not being activated from AT&T. Once these were taken care of, the iTunes system could send the final email, but probably hadn't because of the volume of activations. additionally, i think that porting from Verizon may have introduced some other errors into their systems. In the end it's all speculation on my part.

Good luck to all those who are still trying to get their phones activated. I feel for you, brothers and sisters!

D1G1T4L
Jul 2, 2007, 05:34 PM
D1G1T4L

All you need to do is get your account details like your phone number. Now just go through the activation again and select existing customer then there are 2 questions under that... Do not pick add a line. pick the other one I think it is update equipment. answer the other questions and you will be activated in like 2 min. read #1169 for a better idea of what is going on... Hint.... The at&t (most of them) have no idea how or what the itunes activation is.

good luck...

THANK YOU KEMPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After a fun wait in line till right now........my iPhone is FINALLY activated.

I applaud Apple for having the inventory but AT&T...............well..........this process has NOT been fun. :(

Goodluck all! I know it hurts and is SO FREAKING FRUSTRATING!

kemper28
Jul 2, 2007, 05:51 PM
mactarkus

I had the same thing... Let me guess your area code was 251?? Hope you get ti going...

PrudentAzn
Jul 2, 2007, 06:06 PM
OK I have been waiting since Saturday Time: 6pm and it is now Monday Time:7:01pm and no luck of any email from apple about the activation all I have is "Your activation requires additional time to complete"... I am going in a mental breakdown right now not knowing what to do and I need help!!!!And this apple Iphone commercial keeps MOCKING ME I hate that... I am porting my Verizon Phone number to my new Iphone I know it will take a long time to activate because u know its porting from another carrier, but this is just way to long and some of my frends from Verizon already have ther Iphone activated errrrg ATT ur a POS!!!!:mad:

seagee
Jul 2, 2007, 06:11 PM
I had all the same issues, was switching from old Cingular TDMA service, AT&T's records showed everything should be active, just was waiting 24 hours for a confirmation email that never came. Tried the hard reset etc, to no avail.

I read about the SIM card success, so trotted over to the AT&T store, got a new one put in on the spot, came home and walked through the whole reg process in iTunes and it activated in about 2 minutes!!!!!

GO TO THE STORE AND GET A NEW CARD ASAP IF YOU HAVE THIS ISSUE!

Cheers

kemper28
Jul 2, 2007, 06:14 PM
PrudentAzn

what happens when you plug into itunes? There is no magic with the email... I did mine without ever getting an email... If you plug into itunes and it says needs more time then read my post on this thread I think it is post 1169. Do that and STOP waiting for an email you may never get. I know you do not want to restart because you think you are in some sort of a line... Well, you are not... If you reactivate it will take about 3 min. You may have to get a new sim card.

gadgetmacfreak
Jul 2, 2007, 06:15 PM
Existing AT&T "Blue" Family Plan Customer.

I posted yesterday that I had to upgrade my "blue" family plan to an "orange" plan which I had anticipated. i had ordered a new phone for a wife and picked up an iphone for myself. Started the activation, then upgraded to the orange plan (so i thought) and restarted the activation. Everything but the phone worked.

Brought all the phones including the iphone into the store this morning. They gave me new sim cards for all the phones and completed the "orange plan" upgrade. I went back to my office and restarted the activation and 5 minutes later it worked.

howard in nyc
Jul 2, 2007, 06:22 PM
i am only about 30 hours into the process (a late adopter, didn't buy until sunday around noon). i appreciate everyone taking the time to detail their activation adventures.

after about five hours and a couple of phone conversations with att, they got me activated. but no phone service. everything works on the device except the telephone. i am tempted to leave it like this, use a cool pda/media player/email/web browser, and a separate cell phone. but i am sure att will bill me anyway.

apparently the phone number they assigned me is bad/corrupted/locked/something. i wanted to port over my existing verizon number, but i figured if i came in as a completely new customer, i would avoid the problems everyone else described. apparently i did, but got this bad number.

the highlight--this morning, i left my job to go to the att store on lexington at 61st. middle of new york city. i was hoping they would start me over, give me a new sim card, or something. the lady at the desk said, and i quote, "we don't have anything to do with activation. we just sell the phones." she said i had to do it online.

she managed (with prodding) to access my record, informed me that the 'activation was incomplete' (thanks), and that i needed to call customer service again.

when i called customer service again (well, actually joshua at the 59th street apple store genius bar) the guy said i needed to go back to the physical store, and get them to unlock the number. i declined. they said wait a few more hours.

i love my iphone even though i can't make/take phone calls on it. as is, it is way cool. fortunately for me, this is completely a luxury item, and i can be patient. but i am done with phone calls and going in person. i am old school-letters (and emails) to corporate officials. mainly as a pre-emptive measure. no freaking way am i paying a $36 activation fee (and neither should anyone else who waited over 24 hours).

PrudentAzn
Jul 2, 2007, 06:22 PM
PrudentAzn

what happens when you plug into itunes? There is no magic with the email... I did mine without ever getting an email... If you plug into itunes and it says needs more time then read my post on this thread I think it is post 1169. Do that and STOP waiting for an email you may never get. I know you do not want to restart because you think you are in some sort of a line... Well, you are not... If you reactivate it will take about 3 min. You may have to get a new sim card.
Wait how do you reactivate?, srry couldnt find ur thing u told me to find, but I do know about the SIM card thing....:)

PrudentAzn
Jul 2, 2007, 07:27 PM
Does the SIM card cost anything, if so how much?:confused:

vpatl
Jul 2, 2007, 07:31 PM
PrudentAzn,

Pl dont wait for the email which might never come if there is an error in your activation. The actual process of activation takes < 3 mins if there are no errors.

Your problem might be one of the following.

1) SIM card might be bad. To fix: Go to the nearest AT&T Store and get a new blank SIM Card and retry the process from the beginning.

2) There might be a porting error in your PORT from Verizon.
To fix:
a) Make sure you entered your info from Verizon properly. (Your current address might not be the in Verizon's account when you activated there).
b) Even if there is a problem with Step a, you can do a plain activation now, (instead of a port) and wait for the Porting to get resolved later. You might want to discuss this when you visit the at&t store.

Want to see you enjoy your iphone soon.

vpatl
Jul 2, 2007, 07:32 PM
No. They will not charge anything for the SIM card. Just go to the store and get it resolved.

iWeight
Jul 2, 2007, 07:40 PM
No. They will not charge anything for the SIM card. Just go to the store and get it resolved.

That's funny. I just left the AT&T store, where they REFUSED to give me another SIM card for this piece of ****. It's been 3 days, I've talked to more AT&T and Apple CSR's than I can remember, my old phone no longer works, and if I take the phone back I will be charged $60.

I just called Apple and got some one who promised to transfer me to AT&T and explain what is going on to them directly. Then I sat on hold with AT&T and when I finally got trough, the Apple rep had disconnected. The AT&T rep could barely speak english, but managed to waste about 30 minutes of our time before transferring me to another AT&T department. This lady was as ineffective as the previous and finally said she would "enter a ticket" into "the system" and that somebody would "take a look at it". When I asked her for any kind of ticket or confirmation number, she said that there was no reference number AT ALL for this incident. She also said that I would know if it worked if the phone activates... WELL NO ****. I asked how I would know if it DIDN'T work and she doesn't have an answer for me...

Nnobody can tell me exactly when I should stop "waiting" for it to magically activate and maybe think about taking it back for a refund! I own 2 Macs and this is the worst customer experience I've ever had...

PrudentAzn
Jul 2, 2007, 07:45 PM
So... All I have to do is go to the AT&T store and demand a SIM card and they will give it to me or is ther more to that!?

vpatl
Jul 2, 2007, 07:53 PM
PrudentAzn,

Typically they would charge like $10/- or so for a SIM but most cases, they will do it for free. Especially since you did not contribute to it going bad or becoming non-functional. Many people have posted on here that they were NEVER charged for the SIM card.

Just explain to them the time waste/frustration you've been through and they will help. Atleast throw the idea to do a normal activation alteast and work on the port as you wait. Just my 2 cents.

kemper28
Jul 2, 2007, 08:04 PM
prud....

Tell them to assign your new sim card to you account.... Then go home plug into itunes and select already ata&t customer... It will work in about 3 min.

GL!

ElBerserko
Jul 2, 2007, 08:27 PM
prud....

Tell them to assign your new sim card to you account.... Then go home plug into itunes and select already ata&t customer... It will work in about 3 min.

GL!

kemper28 you're my hero. The method you mentioned about starting over with a new SIM card and activating as an existing customer worked for me after dealing with AT&T's support all weekend. It happened in 2 minutes and I was up and running with the phone number I had transferred from Verizon over the weekend. Good luck to you all who are still trying to get activated.

ciscokidd
Jul 2, 2007, 08:44 PM
after countless hours of bs customer service my iPhone is fully functional!!! Finally I'm a happy camper :) good luck to the people who remain iPhoneless

Ps this post coming from teds Montana grill on edge :):)

strum
Jul 2, 2007, 09:08 PM
This is my first post...

Got the phone Saturday for my wife. Transferred number from Verizon, and I received the dreaded Activation requires additional time to complete...

I've been on the phone all day ping ponging from department to department in ATT, and to Apple Support as well. But Apple explained activation is totally on the ATT side, and there is nothing they can do...

Well our Verizon Cell no longer works so my wife is without a phone...

Most recently 9:30PM Eastern Monday, ATT said they were backlogged because they never expected so many activations. I asked if they could go in and specifically activate my wife's account... I told them my wife was an assistant district attorney, and that police officers and attorneys will be calling her tomorrow, and she needs her phone number back. Then ATT told me that the activation system is totally stopped and nothing is going through... it could take 20 more minutes or 24 hours... so they can't go in and push a single activation through...

I don't know what to believe... I just wish Verizon would have agreed to Steve Job's terms in the beginning...

mactarkus
Jul 2, 2007, 09:17 PM
So they erased my account and I started from scratch. This time, I didn't port any numbers -- I'll do that *after* I'm set up with some temporary new numbers. The first phone activated in about an hour and a half. The number they gave me is in another state, but I'll be switching soon anyway. I'm afraid the second phone will have some problems as I attempted a parallel activation, but at least I'm enjoying the first iPhone!!!!

It is BEAUTIFUL and WORTH THE HASSLE and that's saying a bunch!! BTW, I did not have to switch SIM cards as was suggested by many.