Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
How would you rate this design? 1-10
I rate it 9.0. I think it looks pretty good. Beats Dells for sure.

Attachments

• 450xl.jpg
    450xl.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 741

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
I like the design, but they really messed up the ports in the back. They shouldn't have a VGA out (DVI instead)... parallel port is very dated, and probably could even kill the serial. Has USB 2.0 and firewire... so both of those are a big plus. Very nice.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I agree on DVI, But I'd keep serial port though. Some slightly older electronics may still need it. Id increase number of USBs and "Fires" though. 200XL is actually thinner than powerbook. But I still like Powerbook better. I just hope they upgrade them soon.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
I know, I've been a PC user for years, and I've finally wanted to switch to a PB (thought it would be G5 maybe)... but if they don't put a Radeon 9600m in a $2600+ notebook I'm going to be pretty upset.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
it looks ok in a picture, although it does appear kind of "plasticy" to me. i've seen a number of Wintel laptops that i thought looked decent but whenever i see them in person and actually hold them in my hand they all reek of cheapo. the only ones i think worth anything are the micro VAIOs. those are not bad at all.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
They look nice in pictures. In person they have a cery cheap plasticy feel, just like the Dell Inspiron series.

I'd give it a 5.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Why put speakers in the front? That looks dumb and sound will be muffled as the laptop's ultra powerful huge speakers throw their awesome sound at your waste. Ah, where does Apple position their speakers? :)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
it "looks" nice if you've never touched it because the metallic surface looks like just that, "metallic." if you actually realize that those silver parts are made of plastic, it won't look as good.

i'd give it a 4. one thing i like about the 12/17 Al book (and iBooks) is the display hinge. it's really nice to have the display start a little below the keyboard.

zuggerat

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2003
NY
i have a gateway store down the road from me and i looked at it before i left for school last year...it's nice LOOKING...it's feels really cheap and it looks odd from certain angles

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I actually think it looks plastic-y. Probably this is due to the gray bit around the keyboard. More subliminally still, the lines just aren't as good as the 15" PowerBook, in the same way that one can look at clothes and tell when they're just not cut right.

Or it could just be that I like seeing my TiBook every time I use it.

On a slightly off-topic but related vein, the other thing is that no matter how well it looks, it's got to deliver that fit and finish in the user experience or it's not worth taking home from the store.

I've a friend with a souped-up Dell that probably cost half what I paid for the PowerBook, but every time I use it the awful trackpad makes me want to scream! First it doesn't realize that I'm touching it, and then the mouse pointer doesn't follow my finger properly after it does appear. Dunno if that's Win XP, her machine, or just Dells in general, but I'm tempted to wonder how she gets anything done!

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
I like the design, but they really messed up the ports in the back. They shouldn't have a VGA out (DVI instead)... parallel port is very dated, and probably could even kill the serial. Has USB 2.0 and firewire... so both of those are a big plus. Very nice.

Serial is still used. I hate the USB to serial converters. It has nothing to do with "older" electronic either. How about current electronics.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Originally posted by Kid Red
Why put speakers in the front? That looks dumb and sound will be muffled as the laptop's ultra powerful huge speakers throw their awesome sound at your waste. Ah, where does Apple position their speakers? :)

Do alot of people actually care about where those tiny speakers are? Where-ever they are, they still will sound like crap. You will still need good speakers or headphones to listen and enjoy music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.