Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Does anyone have any speculations on when Apple will release the new iPod (iPhone without the phone)? I am looking for a Mac PDA & iPod that will connect Wi-Fi. I have been reading the reviews and forums about the iPhone and I have heard they are coming out with a new iPod that will be similar to iPhone but have more memory, because there will be no need for the cellular radio equipment. Anyone have any rumors?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
My opinion: Q3

When I mentioned this at the beginning of the year, people thought I was crazy, but given the way things have turned out, it's most likely to be Sept-Oct, maybe early Nov. In time for Xmas and a big campaign, in other words.

That's my best guess. Won't be August; too quiet. They won't wait until Jan or Feb either.

transitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007

When I mentioned this at the beginning of the year, people thought I was crazy, but given the way things have turned out, it's most likely to be Sept-Oct, maybe early Nov. In time for Xmas and a big campaign, in other words.

That's my best guess. Won't be August; too quiet. They won't wait until Jan or Feb either.

That sounds about right. I am waiting for the new iPod. Even with all the hype with the iPhone, the AT&T part of the deal is just unbearable. I love Verizon and I am loyal. Plus battery life on the iPhone would most likely be a huge issue. I run into battery trouble from my non-smarthphone sometimes. I cannot imagine what would happen if I wanted to watch movies or browse the internet AND talk on the phone all day. I would have to carry a charger with me to work! I am waiting for the iPod.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Saying that, I went and bought an 80gb model a few weeks ago. It's got the capacity I needed and I don't really wish for any features apart from being able to play music... haven't even tried putting video on it.

I'm not sure whether the new one will have all the features you're looking for. Hang around here over the coming weeks and months and you'll know as much as all of us will, at more or less the same time. :)

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, and I know that it won't happen as it'll be too close to the iphone... but I want a 6G iPod with WiFi. I don't need to talk on my iPod, I don't need to text etc., but give me WiFi with the same iPhone touch screen etc., and I'll be a happy, happy man.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
iPhone Has NO Video OUT & Can't Record Video Either

I agree.
That sounds about right. I am waiting for the new iPod. Even with all the hype with the iPhone, the AT&T part of the deal is just unbearable. I love Verizon and I am loyal. Plus battery life on the iPhone would most likely be a huge issue. I run into battery trouble from my non-smarthphone sometimes. I cannot imagine what would happen if I wanted to watch movies or browse the internet AND talk on the phone all day. I would have to carry a charger with me to work! I am waiting for the iPod.
iPhone's iPod has NO VIDEO OUTPUT. Huge missing feature. You can't even record video with the iPhone, a feature that is common in almost all other camera equipped phones. I'm also a Verizon customer and dislike AT&T.
I think it will be announced mid Q3, and ship for Holiday. There is no way they wouldn't have a new model out for that time.
Zactly.

jadex

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2005
Houston, Tx, USA
Man, this is exactly what I want to know, too! I hope they'll announce it in Q3, it'd be perfect timing.

I've been waiting for a new iPod since I got my iPod mini almost two years ago as part of the student deal. I love my iPod mini, but now it can't hold a charge for squat (I did the power cycling at the beginning and every month to make sure the battery lasted, too!). As I like my music on the go (I work out a lot and do a lot of driving - need iTrip - and traveling when I can), having a device that tends to stop working after 2 hours even after it's been FULLY charged gets a little tiring.

I'm so sick of the crazy coverage the iPhone has gotten (seriously, the car bombs in London earlier yesterday morning played second fiddle to watching people standing in line for the iPhone on the NEWS station); I'm SO glad Apple's going to get back to the other tasks at hand (Leopard and the iPod) now. :D

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
my vote is for sometime between august and october, but i wouldn't mind it being sooner. i've been wanting to upgrade from my 4 GB 1st Gen Nano for a while, and due to some totally unsatisfactory dealings with Applecare, I think I have some store credits coming my way. (I'm assuming that's what the guy meant when he said he would sweeten the deal in light of my MacBook Pro C2D being sent in AGAIN!)

The iPhone is cool and all, but I just can't justify the price, and I might be one of the few people who doesn't want to have 1 device do it all. Don't know why. Oddly enough, I actually like ATT. I have it, and here in northern IN Verizon doesn't even come close to signal strength and coverage. Sprint is a joke around here. I had it for a year and will never go that route again. A lot of my friends on Verizon are jealous of how good of a signal I have. Hopefully that improves for the rest of the country.

32 gb of flash memory on an ipod with a touchscreen would be absolutely perfect for me.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I'm going to be a little more specific. I'm going to say in October to coincide with the release of Leopard. Along with .Mac being completely revamped for Leopard

Draythor

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Exeter University, UK
I'm going to be a little more specific. I'm going to say in October to coincide with the release of Leopard. Along with .Mac being completely revamped for Leopard

Most likely. They have alot to release!
iPhone in Europe/Australasia
iPod line update
iMac/Mac Mini/MacBook updates
Leopard
etc

WaxTheories

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
Atlanta
i could be wrong, but i think 16 is available - so 2 flash drives in an ipod.

like i said, i could be wrong about that.

I just looked it up, and Hynix (the company that makes the NAND Flash for the iPod Nano) makes 16gb NAND cells. Samsung, however, currently mass-produces a 32gb ssd at a $500 retail.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
If you saw my posting on the other message thread you know what the new video iPod will be like. :)

However, don't expect any physical changes with the nano--the current model is very good and it's nearly impossible to improve on it. We may see several more color choices for the metal case (I'd like to see the orange color nano with the same color as the current Shuffle!), the dropping of the 2 GB nano, the 4 GB nano lowered in cost to the same as the current 2 GB model, the 8 GB nano as the "standard" model, and a new 16 GB model.

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
I just looked it up, and Hynix (the company that makes the NAND Flash for the iPod Nano) makes 16gb NAND cells. Samsung, however, currently mass-produces a 32gb ssd at a $500 retail.

$500... ouch! I'd guess that Apple can get a pretty sizeable discount due to the high quantity they purchase.

WaxTheories

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
Atlanta
$500... ouch! I'd guess that Apple can get a pretty sizeable discount due to the high quantity they purchase.

Right... the question is what the actual cost to make the thing is. A big thing for me is that I really want the 6G to remain at the $250/$300 price point. That's such a huge selling point for me.

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
Right... the question is what the actual cost to make the thing is. A big thing for me is that I really want the 6G to remain at the $250/$300 price point. That's such a huge selling point for me.

Likewise for me. If the iPod would suddenly be $400 or $500 I'd probably have to just get a 5G

Stormbringer

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
However, don't expect any physical changes with the nano--the current model is very good and it's nearly impossible to improve on it. We may see several more color choices for the metal case (I'd like to see the orange color nano with the same color as the current Shuffle!), the dropping of the 2 GB nano, the 4 GB nano lowered in cost to the same as the current 2 GB model, the 8 GB nano as the "standard" model, and a new 16 GB model.
Sounds good!

But maybe a higher resolution screen and/or extended battery life could be an option too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.