PDA

View Full Version : AT&T To Acquire Cellular One, Expanded Rural Service Coming

MacRumors
Jun 30, 2007, 08:52 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Serving as welcome news to critics of AT&T's network (especially as the iPhone launches), AT&T has announced a deal to acquire Dobson Communications (http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/AQF70029062007-1.htm), which owns Cellular One.

Cellular One has a large rural network in Alaska, Arizona, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin, and uses the same GSM/EDGE technology that AT&T uses.

"This acquisition is an excellent fit for AT&T," said [Stan Sigman, president and CEO of AT&T Mobility]. "We've worked with Dobson for years. It's a good company, with great people, the same GSM/EDGE technology and coverage that dovetails almost perfectly with our own. We welcome the opportunity to serve Dobson's customers and look forward to a smooth transition thanks to Dobson's strong leadership and employee team."

thisonechance
Jun 30, 2007, 08:54 AM
Wow, that should make some people quite happy.

longofest
Jun 30, 2007, 08:55 AM
wish it came sooner. I'm about to go on vacation into a rural area of VA :(

Oh well.. Good news none-the-less

Mgkwho
Jun 30, 2007, 08:58 AM
Yeah, this is a good thing. I don't really have much more to say.

-=|Mgkwho

nicshelbs
Jun 30, 2007, 08:59 AM
is it going to help us activate our iPhones haha

Quicksilver867
Jun 30, 2007, 09:03 AM
If this brings decent coverage to most of Allegany county (NY), it would be great. :D

Mac-Addict
Jun 30, 2007, 09:05 AM
Is this going to become AT&Trumors.com? But still, I suppose it is good news.

cjewby
Jun 30, 2007, 09:06 AM
Great news for these people - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322266

TDM21
Jun 30, 2007, 09:12 AM
This is pretty good news, but it will just allow AT&T to say they have coverage in these areas. It probably won't bring any new towers or anything. Cellular One piggy backs off of AT&T's network in a majority of areas in the US; including where I live in Kentucky/Tennessee.

The will be one down side though. Cellular one uses unlocked GSM phones in my area. Now I will have to deal with all the hassle to get my phone unlocked if I want to use it in Europe.

The3nd
Jun 30, 2007, 09:23 AM
Cellar one is AllTell

mauiboy10
Jun 30, 2007, 09:25 AM
I read on another forum about a guy who called his ATT/Cingular rep and was told that even though he didn't live in a coverage area.....that he could still sign up to use his iPhone. The key, said the rep, was to have a nationwide plan......this allows for ATT customers to "piggyback" on another carrier.

I am wondering if anyone can confirm or deny this. I live in the northeast.

Thanks.

smitha96
Jun 30, 2007, 09:28 AM
Okay, great news for me as I am CellOne customer. But I can't find any information on a timeline for the transition...does anyone know or have a guess how long it will be before I can put an iPhone on my CellOne/ATT cell plan?

kcroy
Jun 30, 2007, 09:34 AM
I waited in line yesterday in Sandusky Ohio for my new iPhone. I was lucky number 13 in line. ATT store had ten 8Gs and ten 4Gs. I had to get a 4G (Giving it to my wife.) and I ordered an 8G for myelf.

So far coverage in Ohio has been very good. Glad to read Ohio's coverage is going to get even better. I was a little nervous when I saw the coverage map for Ohio. There are some cellular deserts on our map.

Anyone reading, that didn't get an iPhone yet let me just say that it is everything it claims to be and MORE. It is absolutely the coolest phone, BEST iPod, I've ever seen. Every feature on this phone is fantastic. Well worth the money. The iPod function alone is worth it.

Safari is incredible!!!!!!

My only problem so far is being unable to play a YouTube video. (Could be user error, but I doubt it.)

zapp
Jun 30, 2007, 09:42 AM
I read on another forum about a guy who called his ATT/Cingular rep and was told that even though he didn't live in a coverage area.....that he could still sign up to use his iPhone. The key, said the rep, was to have a nationwide plan......this allows for ATT customers to "piggyback" on another carrier.

Thanks.

I live in northern maine, caribou, and I have at&t service. It is no problem, from the coverage maps, it tells me I am piggybacking on a partners network. The only bad thing that happens to me is sometimes I piggyback on rogers wireless (canadian) when I am near the border, and have roaming charges associated with that.

Hmac
Jun 30, 2007, 09:43 AM

Thanks.Sure...that's what happens here all the time. We have very few AT&T towers, lots of Cellular One. My wife has T-Mobil and roams on Cellular One all the time. Both AT&T and T-Mobil work fine here, roaming on Cellular One towers, as long as you have a quad-band phone (like the iPhone or RAZR). No problem if you have a nationwide calling plan.

pale9
Jun 30, 2007, 09:45 AM
everytime it gets blown to pieces, it reorganizes itself. not that att is really evil, but the service there has always sucked. any slightly more complex than normal issue creates huge problems for its customer service staff. the classic run around iphone buyers are complaning about is a standard feature with att. this is exactly why i left them a few years back. i was happy to pay the early termination fee, just to get away from those bozos.

att is just about as innovative and customer friendly as the post office.

DakotaGuy
Jun 30, 2007, 09:46 AM
Cellar one is AllTell

No it's not.

Alltel bought up some Cellular One properties (Western Wireless) a couple of years ago to expand, but Cellular One is actually a branding that many different wireless carriers use. Alltel is a CDMA provider and at their growth rate I don't think they are going anywhere.

aLoC
Jun 30, 2007, 09:53 AM
Don't tell me MacRumors is going to be full of tedious telecoms news from now on. They have endless takeovers and buyouts.

iMeowbot
Jun 30, 2007, 09:58 AM
Cellar one is AllTell

Was. They sold the name to Dobson a few years ago. Earlier the name had passed though the hands of a few unrelated mobile carriers.

Okay, great news for me as I am CellOne customer. But I can't find any information on a timeline for the transition...does anyone know or have a guess how long it will be before I can put an iPhone on my CellOne/ATT cell plan?

The press release does make it sound like this is a done deal, but regulators still need to weigh in. That will take until the end of this year, so it's reasonable to expect integration to happen later than that.

longofest
Jun 30, 2007, 10:07 AM
Don't tell me MacRumors is going to be full of tedious telecoms news from now on. They have endless takeovers and buyouts.

Probably not, but the timing was there to run a story this time. Besides, it has a pretty direct impact on iPhone customers, so there ya go.

MichaelLatta
Jun 30, 2007, 10:11 AM

Thanks.

The terms of the contract limit the number of off-network hours per month to 1/3 your minutes or 750 whichever is lower. If you exceed that for 2 months in a row they can terminate your service. They might not if you are spending enough over your used minutes, but they can.

3Tabernacles
Jun 30, 2007, 10:16 AM
Wow, that should make some people quite happy.

yea, some people but no Vermont. What's up with the that state?

mauiboy10
Jun 30, 2007, 10:25 AM
Caribou? I'm in the midcoast (rockland)........ did you read what MICHAELLATTA had to say in a post after yours. In my case I'd be using the partnered networt all the time. I was worried there was a catch.

Do you sometimes use the ATT network and don't have to worry about using the partnered network too much?

If only Apple had partnered with VERIZON. Oh well.

nydoofus
Jun 30, 2007, 10:30 AM
everytime it gets blown to pieces, it reorganizes itself. not that att is really evil, but the service there has always sucked. any slightly more complex than normal issue creates huge problems for its customer service staff. the classic run around iphone buyers are complaning about is a standard feature with att. this is exactly why i left them a few years back. i was happy to pay the early termination fee, just to get away from those bozos.

att is just about as innovative and customer friendly as the post office.

Stephen Colbert on AT&T

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2004785759717366066

saxman
Jun 30, 2007, 10:41 AM
This is good news for me. AT&T service has been sketchy where I live. I'm in a rural area in the mid-west. There is a big Dobson/CellularOne tower about 1/2 mile from where I live. Maybe an iPhone would be feasible here after all. Hmmmmm

bigmc6000
Jun 30, 2007, 10:43 AM
Now all those little gaps you see in AT&T's coverage area in place like Ohio, Kentucky, etc etc will go away. That'll be so nice - now when I go home I won't have to go stand outside in a vain hope of trying to pick up 1 bar at my house!!

zyuzin4
Jun 30, 2007, 11:11 AM
The terms of the contract limit the number of off-network hours per month to 1/3 your minutes or 750 whichever is lower. If you exceed that for 2 months in a row they can terminate your service. They might not if you are spending enough over your used minutes, but they can.

That sounds about right but I thought it was 1/2 of your "usage" which may mean half of your minutes? I'm going to school in Anchorage, AK and have had cingular/att back at home in CA. I have the 450 plan with 3600 rollover minutes. Thats a 300 minute per month average so I'm using 1/3 of my minutes on off-network towers. I'm sure that my line is not costing them money which would really turn heads. I do have a few friends that have had to go and get new plans in Alaska though and they were able to get away with it for about 6 months, so AT&T WILL exercise that right!

DakotaGuy
Jun 30, 2007, 11:27 AM
Now after this purchase if AT&Twould step up and purchase T-Mobile, Sprint and possibly even Verizon then we would all get a chance to have an iPhone. I could see them going after T-mobile next. Sprint and Verizon are different beasts, however they could still buy them and convert the network.

nydoofus
Jun 30, 2007, 11:29 AM
Now after this purchase if AT&Twould step up and purchase T-Mobile, Sprint and possibly even Verizon then we would all get a chance to have an iPhone. I could see them going after T-mobile next. Sprint and Verizon are different beasts, however they could still buy them and convert the network.

Its more likely that Verizon buys out Sprint (same CDMA tech). I don't think AT&T could afford Verizon, nor would anti-trust allow it.

DakotaGuy
Jun 30, 2007, 11:34 AM
Its more likely that Verizon buys out Sprint (same CDMA tech). I don't think AT&T could afford Verizon, nor would anti-trust allow it.

That would be interesting...AT&T buys out T-mobile and Verizon buys Sprint, then AT&T and Verizon battle it out. Considering that everyone wants the iPhone AT&T would slowly dominate and then be able to pick off Verizon. I do smell the days of Ma Bell coming back only in a wireless form this time.;)

I still think this is so funny and so true!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=84Qt1Sz7ITk

alansky
Jun 30, 2007, 11:34 AM
Why is this good news since AT&T's EDGE network is dog-slow? We should applaud AT&T's efforts to bring their outdated mobile technology to more areas? Doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.

twoodcc
Jun 30, 2007, 11:45 AM
this is good an all, but since i'm in Georgia, it doesn't really have any effect on me

zflauaus
Jun 30, 2007, 11:50 AM
Yeah, they may say Rural Illinois, but that does not include Southern Illinois. The regional carrier that had GSM in our area was First Cellular, which was then bought by Alltel.

Is there any possibility that AT&T would buy the GSM portion of Alltel? At least in Southern Illinois or is Alltel going to hang onto it for dear life?

job
Jun 30, 2007, 11:50 AM
Ma Bell is up to her old tricks again. :eek:

SBC, Southwestern Bell, Cingular, now Cellular One...

All these networks are joining the mothership... http://www.musictalk.com/images/smilies/shake_head.gif

I, for one, do not welcome our new AT&T overlords.

mikeinternet
Jun 30, 2007, 12:05 PM
i guess the more the better. Edge has been working for me all down 95 in jersey.

thomasfxlt
Jun 30, 2007, 12:43 PM
Cellular One is the carrier where I have my summer house. They are ATT's partner network up here. The iPhone works great, data too. (it just doesn't appear to be quite as fast as it was in Mpls last nite). Anyway, the acquisition is good news because there are rules on partner networks limiting the amount of annual use. It will also enable people up here to actually buy ATT wireless products. Looking forward to the network upgrade.

yoman
Jun 30, 2007, 12:49 PM
Stephen Colbert on AT&T

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2004785759717366066

Hilarious. Thanks for the link..

Mr Fusion
Jun 30, 2007, 12:56 PM
Is this going to become AT&Trumors.com?
Indeed this is a bit off-base. :rolleyes:

I wonder if even half the users on this board know what Ma Bell is, or how things were back in the day. Oh well, a few more key acquisitions and they won't have to. ;)

pdpfilms
Jun 30, 2007, 12:58 PM
This is great news. However, the two states I spend all my time in.. Vermont and Montana are both still not included.

DAMN YOU CELL GODS!

MrCrowbar
Jun 30, 2007, 01:10 PM
Hilarious. Thanks for the link..

ya. funny and so true. intersersting how rebranding works.

SAukland
Jun 30, 2007, 01:24 PM
I found a list of counties that Cellular One operates in, this link also has a coverage map.

Dobson Cellular (https://www.gsaadvantage.gov/ref_text/GS35F0592P/08381G.15SH51_GS-35F-0592P_GSA.HTML)

iMeowbot
Jun 30, 2007, 01:34 PM
This page (http://www.dobson.net/dp_service_area.html) has a map with their own (non-roaming) coverage.

job
Jun 30, 2007, 01:42 PM
I wonder if even half the users on this board know what Ma Bell is, or how things were back in the day.

Haha, I'm barely old enough to remember, but that hasn't stopped me from going back and learning more about it. :)

Oh well, a few more key acquisitions and they won't have to. ;)

Scary, but true! ;)

polyesterlester
Jun 30, 2007, 02:57 PM
Oh man, as an Alaskan, this really excites me. Hooray! Thank you, AT&T (and thanks, MacRumors, for bringing it to my attention).

pale9
Jun 30, 2007, 03:07 PM
Go Phone mode is essentially contract free?
just activated my phone in the go phone mode as i happen to have fraud alert on my credit reports. which suits me fine as i use less than 200 voice minutes a month. now, even though i agreed for att to debit my credit card automatically for $50 plus taxes each month, am i, or am i not in a 2 year contract?????

djon41
Jun 30, 2007, 03:13 PM
montanaaaaaaaaaaaa pleeeeeeease
god damn...are we just not part of the country?
im only here for 2 more years, though...

SeaFox
Jun 30, 2007, 03:31 PM
Indeed this is a bit off-base. :rolleyes:

I wonder if even half the users on this board know what Ma Bell is, or how things were back in the day. Oh well, a few more key acquisitions and they won't have to. ;)

I like how no one at the FTC seems to remember more than 20 years back.

Dwight Schrute
Jun 30, 2007, 03:36 PM
For me, this is FANTASTIC news! In Upper Michigan, this will be our first experience with a major wireless carrier. Currently we have two options: Alltel (CDMA) and Cellular One (Dobson, GSM). Now I can get an iPhone in the relatively near future rather than waiting 3 years(?) for the exclusive contract between Apple and AT&T to expire.

HOORAY! :D

Ugg
Jun 30, 2007, 03:48 PM
Go Phone mode is essentially contract free?
just activated my phone in the go phone mode as i happen to have fraud alert on my credit reports. which suits me fine as i use less than 200 voice minutes a month. now, even though i agreed for att to debit my credit card automatically for $50 plus taxes each month, am i, or am i not in a 2 year contract?????

Well, that's the big question. I've looked high and low but can't find anything that says you are. I would think that you can cancel it at any time but I'd wait until the end of next week and then call them to find out.

I can't imagine that they would get away without somewhere listing the terms and conditions. Maybe they'll send you something in the mail?

Evangelion
Jun 30, 2007, 04:05 PM

that would have been dumb thing to do. verizon is a cdma-operator. if apple wants iphone to be global product, it needs to be gsm, period. compared to gsm, cdma is miniscule. cdma-iphone would work work in usa and handful other countries. gsm-iphone would work in usa and just about every single other country in the world.

JoeG4
Jun 30, 2007, 04:59 PM
I'm having some dejavu here, because I remember being a Cellularone customer back in the day when AT&T wireless bought them out (at least, where we were).

Then AT&*T became cingular and we signed up with them after a short while. To be completely honest, I couldn't stand Cingular because when I signed up, they gave me a 1 year contract - a day later when my bro signed up, we told them we wanted the same thing, they lied and gave him a 2 year contract.

He ended up using my phone because his POS nokia crapped out just as the contract ended.

I've had nothing but $H!TTY experiences with SBC/Cingular and don't really expect anything better out of them these days, thus I can't believe Apple sided with them over something so **** stupid as visual email. You know, my VoIP service (sunrocket) has "Visual Voicemail" - and Vonage had it 2 years ago. WTF is so amazing about Visual Voicemail when it has, and was already being done long ago that only AT&T can do it, and thus we should be pleased at the "privilege" of paying $500 for a phone, and then getting tied to a 2 year commitment that adds up to $1600?

That's about $2100 for 2 years of iPhone. Granted, the other companies also charge $30 a month for internet, the one I'm at includes free wifi hotspot coverage (something AT&T should've had the balls to do). If you don't think AT&T is rolling in the big ones (even with Apple's "unfair" deal according to Verizon), let's just mention that up until about a year ago, AT&T would pay retailers about $500 in subsidies to sell a 2 year contract, and only a little less than that for a 1 year contract. Yes, I'm probably wrong in the numbers by about $50, but I recall it being such an insane amount, that if you talked with a retailer nicely enough, the manager would give you a huuuge discount.

Recently, it dropped to about $250/$350 IIRC. The point being, AT&T can afford to do that, and then still make insane amounts of money.

Hmac
Jun 30, 2007, 05:03 PM
that would have been dumb thing to do. verizon is a cdma-operator. if apple wants iphone to be global product, it needs to be gsm, period. compared to gsm, cdma is miniscule. cdma-iphone would work work in usa and handful other countries. gsm-iphone would work in usa and just about every single other country in the world.That whole thing is way overblown. Apple went to Verizon first. They only ended up with AT&T/GSM after Verizon turned them down because of Apple's demand for a piece of the rate structure. CDMA was Apple's first choice.

Anyway...pay attention. Apple can make CDMA and GSM phones. Perhaps you don't remember the RAZR? Cingular only, right? Six months after launch, all the carriers had them, CDMA and GSM. Now you can get a RAZR in a box of cereal for any wireless protocol in the world.

mauiboy10
Jun 30, 2007, 05:22 PM
that would have been dumb thing to do.

......SJ went to them first. He must have had a good reason. And I would think he knows quite a bit about the cell phone industry....more than me (and you).

im_to_hyper
Jun 30, 2007, 06:21 PM
This is intruiging, actually, quite intruiging. I'm in Dublin right now and met up with a MacRumors member who I've been talking with for 3 years online: that was cool. The two of us ended up meeting a fairly wealthy world traveller from the US who we chatted with for awhile: turns out he was on the team that decided to wait until the last minute to flick up EDGE's speed.

He and I were just having a discussion today about CellularOne. I mentioned to him that their rural coverage is horrible and pokey: In central Wisconsin at my parent's place I can't even get a clear signal outside, but I can in the bathroom... odd... Anyway, he mentioned the only way that CellOne was going anywhere would be to bought out by AT&T... which happened.

Now, as a current customer of CellularOne I'm worried as to what will happen in the future. I am locked into a two year contract with 1600 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited texts for $50 a month. Will I have something similar at the end, or will I only have AT&T's crappy plans?

The only good side to this is that I can expect better coverage in the near future...

mauiboy10
Jun 30, 2007, 06:30 PM
turns out he was on the team that decided to wait until the last minute to flick up EDGE's speed.

When did this occur? Are iphone users seeing increased EDGE speeds?

heisetax
Jun 30, 2007, 07:22 PM
Is this going to become AT&Trumors.com? But still, I suppose it is good news.

For the next 5 years AT&T = iPhone. For those not interested in the iPhone &/or AT&T this will seem like a long time. For those that will be using their iPhones as a cell phone, (means most purchasers), these things will be more important.

It's just like when PPC were put in Macs we heard a lot about Motorola & IBM. Now that our new Macs have Intel processors in them we hear a lot about Intel. We hear about ATI & Nvidia because our Macs could have video cards by either company.

The old rule of thumb will just keep on applying to reading articles & rumors here & elsewhere, "If you're not interested in the topic, don't read it & try not to complain too loudly." Remember everyone does not have exactly the same needs, wants, & interests that you do.

Bill the TaxMan

heisetax
Jun 30, 2007, 07:30 PM
Cellar one is AllTell

Cellular One is owned by Dobson Cellular Systems, not Alltel Wireless. Alltel Wireless purchased the locally owned Cell phone provider in Lincoln, NE a few years ago. That gives very excellent service here in Nebraska. Cellular One does not provide or sell service here in Nebraska.

That seems to be one of the ways to say it.

Bill the TaxMan

heisetax
Jun 30, 2007, 07:40 PM
Caribou? I'm in the midcoast (rockland)........ did you read what MICHAELLATTA had to say in a post after yours. In my case I'd be using the partnered networt all the time. I was worried there was a catch.

Do you sometimes use the ATT network and don't have to worry about using the partnered network too much?

But Verizon Wireless is not the type to give up all of the pay-for services that AT&T had to give up on. Music, photos, ring tones & other items are on Verizon phones only as an additional money maker for them, not to provide the user with a free service. I have a wonderful full featured Mototola cell phone that Verizon has cut out 90% of its extra non cell phone abilities. I would think that is the real reason that Verizon would not agree.

Bill the TaxMan

korndog2003
Jun 30, 2007, 08:06 PM
Awesome I have cell one!!!!

Mr Fusion
Jun 30, 2007, 08:24 PM
For the next 5 years AT&T = iPhone. For those not interested in the iPhone &/or AT&T this will seem like a long time. For those that will be using their iPhones as a cell phone, (means most purchasers), these things will be more important.
Which is why there is a separate "iPhone" section to the website now, so please keep Ma Bell over there while leaving the "MacRumors" news discussion to Macs. :)

Cult Follower
Jun 30, 2007, 09:51 PM
I really hope this will allow us in North Dakota to get and iPhone. If it does that would be great, I REALLY, REALLY wan't an iPhone.

Sweetfeld28
Jul 1, 2007, 12:30 AM
God i hope this improves things in Ohio. I live in a suburban area of Toledo, and it scares me when i look at AT&T's coverage map. It looks like in my area there is only one tower, which means if i get the iPhone today i would have crappy service at home, but good every where else.

I waited in line yesterday in Sandusky Ohio for my new iPhone. I was lucky number 13 in line. ATT store had ten 8Gs and ten 4Gs. I had to get a 4G (Giving it to my wife.) and I ordered an 8G for myelf.

So far coverage in Ohio has been very good. Glad to read Ohio's coverage is going to get even better. I was a little nervous when I saw the coverage map for Ohio. There are some cellular deserts on our map.

Anyone reading, that didn't get an iPhone yet let me just say that it is everything it claims to be and MORE. It is absolutely the coolest phone, BEST iPod, I've ever seen. Every feature on this phone is fantastic. Well worth the money. The iPod function alone is worth it.

Safari is incredible!!!!!!

My only problem so far is being unable to play a YouTube video. (Could be user error, but I doubt it.)

deanr
Jul 1, 2007, 12:40 AM
So, if my zip is not in a covered area, how do I activate the iPhone? Any hints or suggestions?

Thanks

deanr

Thanks.

im_to_hyper
Jul 1, 2007, 04:52 AM
When did this occur? Are iphone users seeing increased EDGE speeds?

Apparently in some areas it already was high... the news was on the front page and I was interested in the fact that what he claimed came try, even though some people in DC already had higher download speeds.

I'm curious as well to see if that happened. He *did* also claim that the iPhone Europe announcement would be made on Monday and, indeed, be 3G. Yup, announcement on Monday.

Thread I found about EDGE speed increases. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=321459)

pivo6
Jul 1, 2007, 08:47 AM
This is good news for me as a CellOne subscriber. I now get to use an iPhone. My coverage won't change since CellOne owns most of the GSM towers in Northern Minnesota.

CellOneEmployee
Jul 1, 2007, 11:27 AM
Well, as this may be great news to alot of current cellular one users, I however am scared out of my mind. I work for Cellular One (Dobson Communications Corp.) corporate office in OKC. We found out at 5pm on Friday that AT&T bought us. No warning. So basically they are hoping the deal goes through by mid to end of December this year. I have no idea what is going to happen with my job and I am pretty much freaking out right now.

nydoofus
Jul 1, 2007, 11:28 AM
Well, as this may be great news to alot of current cellular one users, I however am scared out of my mind. I work for Cellular One (Dobson Communications Corp.) corporate office in OKC. We found out at 5pm on Friday that AT&T bought us. No warning. So basically they are hoping the deal goes through by mid to end of December this year. I have no idea what is going to happen with my job and I am pretty much freaking out right now.

Sorry to hear that. Hope everything goes well for you!

Sweetfeld28
Jul 1, 2007, 11:33 AM
Well, i hope that you would be fine being a CellOne Employee. I mean this is just a buy out, they would have no reason to do anything except re-brand the company to AT&T.

nydoofus
Jul 1, 2007, 11:35 AM
Well, i hope that you would be fine being a CellOne Employee. I mean this is just a buy out, they would have no reason to do anything except re-brand the company to AT&T.

That is true, but there's always redundant staff that gets cut. Extra HR people, extra IT people. There usually are job cuts associated even with buyouts.

Sweetfeld28
Jul 1, 2007, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately you are correct.

CellOneEmployee
Jul 1, 2007, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't be so worried if I worked in a retail store, because all they will do is acquire the building and slap an AT&T logo on it. Working at corporate is a totally different ballgame. AT&T has told us that are going to try and keep as many corporate people as they can, but they did say there will be many duplicate jobs and some lay offs will happen. We only have roughly 325 people in corporate, so I am a little worried.

I am trying not to freak out too much until AT&T decides what is going to happen for sure. They are going to meet with us in the next few weeks to determine our fate. I am feeling like I have about a 50/50 chance of losing my job. I just want to know if they do decide to keep corporate employees, will they keep us in OKC or relocate us to San Antonio? I'm not too keen on moving, but I need a job!

nydoofus
Jul 1, 2007, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't be so worried if I worked in a retail store, because all they will do is acquire the building and slap an AT&T logo on it. Working at corporate is a totally different ballgame. AT&T has told us that are going to try and keep as many corporate people as they can, but they did say there will be many duplicate jobs and some lay offs will happen. We only have roughly 325 people in corporate, so I am a little worried.

I am trying not to freak out too much until AT&T decides what is going to happen for sure. They are going to meet with us in the next few weeks to determine our fate. I am feeling like I have about a 50/50 chance of losing my job. I just want to know if they do decide to keep corporate employees, will they keep us in OKC or relocate us to San Antonio? I'm not too keen on moving, but I need a job!

325 people? That's a pretty tight ship over there. Sadly, I'm pretty sure that AT&T will just screw everything up.

bug67
Jul 1, 2007, 12:00 PM
This is fantastic news for me. I live in Alaska and had pretty much given in that I was never gonna see an iPhone. I've been a Cell One customer for years. Now, my only question is, how long do I have to wait?:p

ClimbingTheLog
Jul 1, 2007, 01:14 PM
yea, some people but no Vermont. What's up with the that state?

I do some business in Vermont, so I try to keep an eye out for technology news there - the Governor has recently announced an initiative for 100% cellular and broadband coverage in the state. It's quite a job, but they're really losing economic activity due to their backwater technology. It looks like CDMA is going to be the dominant technology. Lots of mountains and such to deal with, where CDMA has advantages.

That whole thing is way overblown. Apple went to Verizon first. They only ended up with AT&T/GSM after Verizon turned them down because of Apple's demand for a piece of the rate structure. CDMA was Apple's first choice.

Anyway...pay attention. Apple can make CDMA and GSM phones. Perhaps you don't remember the RAZR? Cingular only, right? Six months after launch, all the carriers had them, CDMA and GSM. Now you can get a RAZR in a box of cereal for any wireless protocol in the world.

Quite right - GSM:CDMA::2:1 currently world-wide. CDMA dominates some very important companies. But AT&T has a 5-year exclusive on the iPhone. Look for Apple to offer other brands of cellular phones that aren't iPhones on the other networks.

Which is why there is a separate "iPhone" section to the website now, so please keep Ma Bell over there while leaving the "MacRumors" news discussion to Macs. :)

Hear, hear.

I have no idea what is going to happen with my job and I am pretty much freaking out right now.

OK, time for some tough love: Get over it. Seriously, I used to think this way. It'll tear you apart inside. Learn to think this way: You are doing Dobson a favor by working for them. You're smart and talented, and if Dobson can't recognize that, or if they turn into an awful company you'll take your talents and go help better people. There are lots of good companies who need your help and will pay you for it. If you think this is going to happen, get out before all the rats start fleeing the ship, so you're not competing in as fierce a scenario.

chatin
Jul 1, 2007, 07:37 PM
Good news for me, also. I like the idea of competition, however. Just picked up a product RED Moto from Sprint Nextel at a giveaway price. These guys seem like they still want to compete!

pdpfilms
Jul 1, 2007, 08:20 PM
Good news for me, also. I like the idea of competition, however. Just picked up a product RED Moto from Sprint Nextel at a giveaway price. These guys seem like they still want to compete!

Odd question- if you're given a RED phone, does that mean the Sprint is donating to the charity directly on your behalf? Or because you're not paying anything are they not receiving anything...

chatin
Jul 2, 2007, 07:36 PM
Odd question- if you're given a RED phone, does that mean the Sprint is donating to the charity directly on your behalf? Or because you're not paying anything are they not receiving anything...

Good call... I payed $110. On the Moto site it says they give $17 to charity.

jayz
Jul 19, 2007, 10:36 PM

i also work for cell one. youngstown. have you guys heard any juicy secrets?

ingenious
Jul 19, 2007, 11:38 PM
Cellar one is AllTell

No, Alltel is quite a different company. Besides, CellularOne is GSM/EDGE, like the article said and Alltel is CDMA2000, like Verizon. In fact, even though Alltel is becoming a much bigger player, they and Verizon have a very similar agreement.

ingenious
Jul 19, 2007, 11:54 PM

SBC, Southwestern Bell, Cingular, now Cellular One...

All these networks are joining the mothership... http://www.musictalk.com/images/smilies/shake_head.gif

I, for one, do not welcome our new AT&T overlords.

aren't (weren't) SBC and Southwestern Bell the same company?

johnstef
Aug 7, 2007, 11:44 AM
does anyone know when at&t will be getting the coverage of dobson?

Kawasaki
Aug 8, 2007, 11:30 AM
I just want it to come to the point that we are more like Japan (and even China) where you get a signal just about everywhere.

zwida
Aug 8, 2007, 04:35 PM
aren't (weren't) SBC and Southwestern Bell the same company?

Yes, they are. In fact, the "new" AT&T resulted in SBC's purchase of (among many others) Bell South and the old AT&T.

Kawasaki
Aug 9, 2007, 12:04 AM
I have an artical from 1984 about the breakup of the Bell system. How interesting all these years later that we are going back to the "Bell system"; almost like a natural process.

im_to_hyper
Dec 10, 2007, 02:31 AM
So guys: Its complete. What are your thoughts on this, other than the ability to get an iPhone? Personally, I want to upgrade my current phone but am now told that I have to upgrade to a new AT&T plan, and sign a 2 year contract, to do so.

Normally, I would just get a new phone after 1 year of service! My current plan is $30/month ($20/month for 100 minutes + $10/month 1000 texts) and AT&T has nothing similar, which is disappointing since I would like my contract + my guaranteed new phone. It would be nice to be able to use one of AT&T's nice phones with my contract :)

Hmac
Dec 10, 2007, 07:00 AM
Our area in central Minnesota is served by Cellular One and Unicel as the two main providers (Sprint and T-Mobile also have a few towers - Sprint coverage is terrible, T-Mobile is good only because it can also roam on Cellular One towers). These two small companies have been problematic in their ability to provide good rural coverage and definitely behind the technology curve by comparison to the frenzy of cell phone deals in urban areas. Free roaming agreements from companies that could use the towers of those two companies expanded our options.

Cellular One being taken over by AT&T has the promise of more towers and better technology, not to mention improving Cellular One's notoriously poor service. Unicel, OTOH, was bought (or is being bought) by Verizon. I'm suspicious that that won't improve things. Unfortunately, Unicel is pretty much my only option because it's a big part of our communication system at work (regional hospital - the whole building is wired as a cell site). No iPhone for me.

LizKat
Dec 11, 2007, 01:00 AM
I just want it to come to the point that we are more like Japan (and even China) where you get a signal just about everywhere.

Yes, I get really tired of paying on two different carriers' contracts and still have to drive five miles up on a mountain to catch a signal "near" my dead zone house. I'm hoping the CellOne acquisition by ATT will mean better service in this area before I'm too old to be able to remember what a cell phone is even for! :eek: