Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I am so proud of Apple. :p

They are finally REALLY trying to reach out to the average Joe, letting them touch, see, listen to the iPod. Apple has already made the iPod the standard, but they seriously need people to think that anything else would just be second class.

Make the iPod a trojan horse, and then show them the beauty of the Mac. :)

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally posted by Freg3000
Make the iPod a trojan horse, and then show them the beauty of the Mac. :)

Exactly. To me, that is what all of this is about. Showing the world that Apple products are better than what their friends tell them. Show the people that the grass is greener on the other side.

All Appe needs now is a cheap computer to really kick the Mac into the mainstream.

P-Worm

Orome

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2003
Glued to my monitor
Originally posted by P-Worm
All Appe needs now is a cheap computer to really kick the Mac into the mainstream.

I think Apple thinks they already have one in the iBook and eMac lines, unfortunately. What they need is something with some real horsepower at a much cheaper price to really break into the mainstream. Actually, what they REALLY need is an update to the PowerBook line, but lets not go there in this thread as it is already being discussed in almost every thread in every Mac forum worldwide...iPOD RULES!!!

michael666

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2003
in front of a computer
Originally posted by P-Worm

Yeah, why don't they release a headless iMac? They could just remove the display and instead provide some display connector at the back (VGA/DVI/ADC?) so that people can use their own (cheap) displays if they want. Also the price of such a headless Mac would look much cheaper if you see it in a store.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Re: VW/iPod pairing

I wish the press release explained a bit more about how the iPod interfaces with the car. There is some "connectivity kit" involved -- I would be really curious if there is actual docking mechanism.

There were rumors a year or so ago about an iPod-edition Jetta. Looks like whatever plan that was morphed into this. I would love to retrofit my Jetta's dash with an iPod dock.

dilg

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2003
Re: VW/iPod pairing

Mmmm... iPod and Volkswagen... long overdue! I am also curious how they plan to connect the iPod to the vdub head unit. I've had to go through a lot of hoops to get my 3g iPod to connect to my car, and I'm not done yet. I hope VW comes up with an elegant aftermarket offering that merges the styling of Apple and VW - that would be sweet!

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
sweet... im going to get a 30 gig at circuit city as soon as they start selling them... and the 3 year warranty so i dont have to worry about any mishaps with my little beauty...

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
Bose huh?

Bedding with Bose, huh? So does this mean that we'll see the iPod on infomercials and at island carts in the mall? :D That WaveRadio is everywhere...

-p

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Originally posted by michael666
Yeah, why don't they release a headless iMac? They could just remove the display and instead provide some display connector at the back (VGA/DVI/ADC?) so that people can use their own (cheap) displays if they want. Also the price of such a headless Mac would look much cheaper if you see it in a store.
There goes "everything else being second class"

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Originally posted by michael666

nah, what i think would be best is when the iMac and powerbooks get G5's a while from now, just leave the emac with a G4 so they could cut the price drastically. and a G4 is so much better then a celeron in cheap pc's.

JohnStrass

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Miami, USA
Originally posted by plinkoman
nah, what i think would be best is when the iMac and powerbooks get G5's a while from now, just leave the emac with a G4 so they could cut the price drastically. and a G4 is so much better then a celeron in cheap pc's.
Now that this thread is definately wandering, i hope/ wich that I can keep my beautifuly 17 in iMac monitor when the G5 iMac comes out. After all, the monitor probably is worth at least 600- , so maybe there will be a way to buy a headless new iMac and pop on my beloved monitor.

Oh and about the iPod, I am so hooked that I wear my iPod (headphones and all) in the car, rather than try my 6 CD changer. It has me spoiled. I would pay big bucks for a nice way to hook my iPod to my car stereo.

toes

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
VW and iPod ...

Mmmm... iPod and Volkswagen... long overdue! I am also curious how they plan to connect the iPod to the vdub head unit. I've had to go through a lot of hoops to get my 3g iPod to connect to my car, and I'm not done yet. I hope VW comes up with an elegant aftermarket offering that merges the styling of Apple and VW - that would be sweet!

Have you looked at the Honda Element ? ... it shows an iPod in one of its "info" movies and has a connection plug (probably just 2.5 or 3.5 mm stereo jack) in its "EX" version. Very cool!:cool:

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Marketing as "high quality" audio device

I absolutely love my 30 GB iPod. It has changed the way I listen to my music. But even so, there is still room for improvement. The biggest area, in my opinion, is in providing a "seamless" listening experience. Basically this means eliminating all gaps that plague the iPod and its playback of compressed audio files. This is especially critical with live albums, mix albums (where one song runs seamlessly into the next), and classical recordings where several movements of the same piece may be split into multiple tracks. CD players from 20 years ago have no problem playing this stuff seamlessly, why can't a $300-500 piece of modern technology satisfy this simple requirement?

Now, I'm not trying to gripe about the iPod. I love it, absolutely. This is simply the one and only area where I really think it still needs improvement. Apple prides itself on providing the best products and the best user experience. Yet this particular part of the experience remains a letdown to serious music listeners. I don't think they can honestly claim to provide the best possible listening experience until this is rectified.

Why am I posting this here? Because while Bose may be considered to be overpriced and overhyped by audiophiles, most consumers think it is really super high end stuff. It only makes sense that if you're buying an iPod to go with your expensive Bose system, it should provide a "perfect" listening experience. That 0.2-second gap between seamless tracks doesn't cut it. It can be a bit jarring when you've really lost yourself in the music.

I understand that this isn't noticeable with most albums or playlists where tracks don't run into one another, and probably most listeners in most listening environments don't really notice or care even when it does happen. But some of us do, and we'd love for Apple to address the issue. How cool would it be if they could say they have the first/only MP3/AAC player that provides true gapless playback?

I think it shouldn't be that hard, even. This page talks about a "cue sheet" scheme where an entire album could be encoded as one file (just like you'd get using iTunes' Join Tracks feature when importing) and has a cue sheet that tells the positions in the file where various tracks start. Then you have no gaps but you can still skip around from track to track. Surely that wouldn't be hard to add to the existing Join Tracks in iTunes, and support it with the iPod.

What do ya'll think? Am I being too nitpicky, or is this a good idea? I think it would be great, since Apple would have even more reasons to show that the iPod is the best. If you agree, please take a moment and send feedback so they know more people than just me want it. :)

tex210

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2003
2 second gap....

bankshot... if you require that any songs play as one.... join their tracks in itunes, then update your ipod. simple and elegant. I however like the jukebox way of listening to my music, all random all cut up, you never know where it will go next! Even the white alblum and the wall can be listened to like this, (i know you're gasping at me) but if you want certain tracks to act as one... join 'em.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
This is great news for Apple, Circuit City, and Bose. I'm glad to hear that the iPod will now be getting even more exposure.

Now if we can just get the rest of Apple's line into more stores! ;)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Originally posted by JohnStrass
I would pay big bucks for a nice way to hook my iPod to my car stereo.

Uh, just buy a cassette adapter. Or an FM Tuner. The Apple store sells some made for the iPod under "iPod Accessories".

Irafas

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2003
Re: Bose huh?

Bedding with Bose, huh? So does this mean that we'll see the iPod on infomercials and at island carts in the mall?

The Twentieth Anniversary Mac had a Bose subwoofer -- I recall Macworld suggesting something about cross marketing potential, but they've not done anything like that since.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Originally posted by solvs
Uh, just buy a cassette adapter. Or an FM Tuner. The Apple store sells some made for the iPod under "iPod Accessories".

i think he meant a quality way. to directly connect them, sure, my tape adapter works fine most of the time, but i would be more then willing to spend money to be able to just plug the damn thing in directly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.