Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmoran27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I Can only get new mail by opening the mail app and clicking on the folder.

sobiloff

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
not to totally change topics, but it looks like you cant sync yahoo mail to mail.app without paying for POP access, either? I may end up keeping my gmail account after all.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
i just tapped yahoo account and added mine... seems to be working fine w/o having to pay for POP.

no idea about PUSH though... i'm not sure if mine's just popping up new email on the 15 minute interval or if it's using PUSH

JonboyDC

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
I Can only get new mail by opening the mail app and clicking on the folder.
Not sure about push, but you can set the e-mail to check periodically without having to open the app. Go to settings--->mail--->auto-check. Then you can tell it to check for new e-mail every 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or hour. (Or leave it on manual).

appleii2mac

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
Yes, but that's very different from Push. Yahoo seems to be advertising push email with their Yahoo Go 2.0 service. No mention of the iphone on there though.

Perhaps yahoo changed their mind about offering push on the Iphone? Maybe that's why there's an automatic setup option for gmail as well.

ShellyFM

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
Under the Questions and Answers page on Apple's website http://www.apple.com/iphone/questionsandanswers.html, it lists this:

"What email systems does iPhone support?
iPhone supports the most popular email standards — IMAP and POP3. Check with your email provider to make sure the provider uses these standards. iPhone works with most popular email services, including Yahoo! Mail, Google Gmail, AOL, and .Mac Mail. Yahoo! Mail supports “push” email and can automatically deliver new email messages to your iPhone."

ShellyFM

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
Well, I talked to the 1st tech person with no resolution. I'm now on hold with the 2nd tech person.

The 1st person said that once you set-up your Yahoo account on the iPhone the push should happen automatically. At one point, she mentioned about needing to pay for an upgrade or something to set up the account on the phone. I set mine up without the upgrade and it works (just not the push part).

This phone call between being on hold and talking to tech support is so far 1 hour and 30 minutes and still going!

ShellyFM

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
I'm still trying to get this worked out with tech support.

While I'm on with them, I took a look at the Macworld keynote, and it does say Free push e-mail with yahoo.

gjkubel

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Thanks for the update. Let us know what you find out. The Push function doesn't seem to be working. Hopefully, they will figure it out soon. It should be free, but I have a paid Yahoo! mail account, and mine isn't working either, so we can definately rule that out as the reason.

ShellyFM

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
I was on the phone with Apple Tech Support for over 2 hours and 20 minutes.

They had me
* Delete and then add back the Yahoo account settings
* Turn airplane mode on for 10 seconds and then back off
* Reset network settings
* Erase the iPhone

Nothing worked. Finally, after trying everything, they gave me the number to Yahoo, which is 1-800-318-0783. Also, they gave me a url to submit an inquiry to Yahoo, http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/contactus/index.php.

I'm not sure when I'll call, but as I know more about all of this, I'll let you know.

Please, if anyone gets this working or gets anymore info, please let us know.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
My push functionality works fine. I send myself an email via Outlook, from and to the same Yahoo account. A couple seconds later, my iPhone dings. If I download the email into Outlook, thereby deleting it from the server, it goes away just as quickly.

(What I really don't understand is why it says "Load 6 More Messages... 6 messages total, 3 unread" when I don't have any further email in my account. I can even log on to mail.yahoo.com and verify this. Clicking on the "Load..." message doesn't causes it to say "Loading..." for a couple seconds, but then it goes right back to saying what it did before. Go figure.)

ShellyFM

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
My push functionality works fine. I send myself an email via Outlook, from and to the same Yahoo account. A couple seconds later, my iPhone dings. If I download the email into Outlook, thereby deleting it from the server, it goes away just as quickly.

(What I really don't understand is why it says "Load 6 More Messages... 6 messages total, 3 unread" when I don't have any further email in my account. I can even log on to mail.yahoo.com and verify this. Clicking on the "Load..." message doesn't causes it to say "Loading..." for a couple seconds, but then it goes right back to saying what it did before. Go figure.)

When you receive the "pushed" e-mail, are you at the home screen or within the mail program?

Also, do you have a paid yahoo account?

How recent did you sign up for your account with yahoo?

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
When you receive the "pushed" e-mail, are you at the home screen or within the mail program?

Also, do you have a paid yahoo account?

How recent did you sign up for your account with yahoo?

Hmm, I don't recall which screen I was on. I'll do some tests.

My account is one that I have because I'm an ATT DSL customer. I've had it for several years. I suppose I'd loose the account if I cancelled my DSL - it didn't occur to me that Yahoo's free email service would be different.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I finally got it to work. Had to go into the Advanced settings on the Yahoo iphone setup and change the IMAP Path Prefix to:

imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com

Works after that.

- James

ShellyFM

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
My yahoo account is quite old. So, I set up a new one to see if I could get push e-mail on it. It looks like push works on the new account. I don't know what that means, but it might help with troubleshooting.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO

Just did a test, now that I powercycled the phone and got EDGE working again. With the phone in sleep mode, push works 100%. I send the email from my desktop, within a couple seconds I can hear, from my desk phone headset, the GSM transmission, and then the phone does it's little new-mail-chime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.