PDA

View Full Version : Terrorist Attack in Scotland?

R.Youden
Jun 30, 2007, 10:33 AM
See Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6257194.stm)

Doesn't look good....

UPDATE: Maybe not as bad as it could have been

Lau
Jun 30, 2007, 10:40 AM
Hmm, looks a bit ominous. I'd have said it could easily have just been a random car on fire, but with the ones in London it's perhaps a bit more likely to be premeditated.

All seems a bit bungled and crap, though, doesn't it? Assuming it was planned and intentional, that is.

xUKHCx
Jun 30, 2007, 10:40 AM
This attack seems rather strange, information is scarce, wonder if anyone was hurt, suppose the people in the car didn't really stand a chance if it did indeed explode.

nydoofus
Jun 30, 2007, 10:44 AM
I would normally think its just a car on fire. But reports say they were fighting the police.... And with the recent incidents in London....

Knox
Jun 30, 2007, 10:47 AM
Current info is that the car exploded after the two men in it escaped (one "badly burned") and were caught.

(This is the main door into the airport)

Queso
Jun 30, 2007, 10:57 AM
WTF? Is it Incompetent Terrorist Month or something? :eek:

nydoofus
Jun 30, 2007, 10:57 AM
WTF? Is it Incompetent Terrorist Month or something? :eek:

I sure hope so. Living in NYC, I hate the competent ones.

Dagless
Jun 30, 2007, 11:09 AM
Bloody terrorists. Just caught it on News 24.

Apparently they were driving up some taxi route where normal cars aren't supposed to go which sort of takes away the "accident" part of it.

Queso
Jun 30, 2007, 11:09 AM
I sure hope so. Living in NYC, I hate the competent ones.
Oh believe me I'm not complaining. Not in the slightest.

killerrobot
Jun 30, 2007, 11:10 AM
Seems like too much of a coincidence with the London car bombs not to be terrorist related. This is insane.

Mac-Addict
Jun 30, 2007, 11:11 AM
Whats with all the terrorist attacks?! I'm glad I'm not going London Macrumors 7th July Meet Up.. there might be copycat terrorist attacks...

Blue Velvet
Jun 30, 2007, 11:14 AM
Whats with all the terrorist attacks?! I'm glad I'm not going London Macrumors 7th July Meet Up.. there might be copycat terrorist attacks...

Unlikely, but even so, no nutter is going to stop me meeting my friends.

Mac-Addict
Jun 30, 2007, 11:15 AM
Unlikely, but even so, no nutter is going to stop me meeting my friends.

I wish I could meet up xD But I'm only 13 so.. :( Maybe when I am 16 or 17 xD

nydoofus
Jun 30, 2007, 11:19 AM

Apparently they were driving up some taxi route where normal cars aren't supposed to go which sort of takes away the "accident" part of it.

Dang, yeah. Assuming its the same stuff as the previous two cars, the vapor probably ignited.

xUKHCx
Jun 30, 2007, 11:19 AM

Well I have driven through taxi only areas before, hell i have even found myself going the wrong way through a tram only area or the wrong way around a major roundabout (all of which were actually by accident).

nydoofus
Jun 30, 2007, 11:23 AM
Well I have driven through taxi only areas before, hell i have even found myself going the wrong way through a tram only area or the wrong way around a major roundabout (all of which were actually by accident).

Haha. Though, you probably didn't do it while on fire and then fight with the police after the fact :P

Lau
Jun 30, 2007, 11:23 AM

I dunno, sounds like picnicking in a big park is a damn safe place to be. If you see a car driving towards you in a park, worry. :p

xUKHCx
Jun 30, 2007, 11:26 AM
Haha. Though, you probably didn't do it while on fire and then fight with the police after the fact :P

If the car was on fire maybe they missed the Taxi only route sign. There are plenty of reasons to fight the police, could've just be drunks etc.

I do think that it could well be terrorists but the actual facts at this moment in time do not prove there were.

Mac-Addict
Jun 30, 2007, 11:29 AM
I dunno, sounds like picnicking in a big park is a damn safe place to be. If you see a car driving towards you in a park, worry. :p

Getting there and getting back would be hell though!

Lau
Jun 30, 2007, 11:39 AM

Nah. Don't forget nothing's really happened, and the chances of you being anywhere near the one car that may or may not blow up at one second in one random day are so small. More likely to be struck by lightning, hit by a bendy bus (vastly more likely :p) or be attacked by a cockney weasel, etc.

I'm flying down on Thursday from Scotland to spend the weekend in London, and so this recent development doesn't seem ideal, but you can't go round worrying about it. We're more likely to get killed on the bus to the airport, probably.

Queso
Jun 30, 2007, 11:39 AM
The odds of dying from falling down whilst using the stairs are 2360 to 1, just to put things in perspective. I live and work in London and miraculously am still here (just like the other 9 million or so Londoners).

nydoofus
Jun 30, 2007, 11:42 AM
The odds of dying from falling down whilst using the stairs are 2360 to 1, just to put things in perspective. I live and work in London and miraculously am still here (just like the other 9 million or so Londoners).

Wow really? 2360 to 1?

Queso
Jun 30, 2007, 11:43 AM
Wow really? 2360 to 1?
Over a lifetime yes.

Source (http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm)

vespagirl
Jun 30, 2007, 11:48 AM
Anything like this near an airport smacks of terrorism to me.

nydoofus
Jun 30, 2007, 11:49 AM
Over a lifetime yes.

Source (http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm)

Interesting site. Good reading :)

bartelby
Jun 30, 2007, 11:49 AM
Apparently the car was driven "at speed" at the entrance way.

All this stuff isn't going to stop me from 07/07 though.

Mac-Addict
Jun 30, 2007, 11:51 AM
The odds of dying from falling down whilst using the stairs are 2360 to 1......
Ok but what are the odds of being paralyzed for the rest of your life from falling down the stairs? And what if you live in a bungalow?

nydoofus
Jun 30, 2007, 11:54 AM
"A Whitehall spokesman said the incident was not being treated as a national security threat." - BBC News

Interesting

Queso
Jun 30, 2007, 12:06 PM
Apparently the car was driven "at speed" at the entrance way.

All this stuff isn't going to stop me from 07/07 though.
Yeah, considering the picnic site is right next to the Mosque I don't think the Islamists will be targeting us :D

Shaun.P
Jun 30, 2007, 12:13 PM
After watching BBC News 24 Live for the past 45 minutes, I have some important points:

>> Jeep driven into terminal doors. Apparently many attempts were made to ram the door, by reversing and moving forward. Jeep couldn't get by the automatic doors.

>> Asian driver and passenger.

>> Passenger of Jeep started weilding a bottle with a lit rag on the top (petrol bomb). Whilst the driver was trying to ram the door. High revs. Car then caught fire.

>> Passenger of Jeep tried to run off started shouting and punching members of the public and he was later repremanded by maize by the police.

>> 3 large bangs heard.

>> Terminal caught fire.

>> Both the driver and the passenger have been arrested.

>> Passengers on planes have been kept on planes. People in the affected terminal have been evacuated. All other staff and public have been kept sealed in the Airport. They will be released when Airport is deamed safe.

>> USA has just announced that it is boosting its presence of security personal at all airports.

nydoofus
Jun 30, 2007, 12:28 PM
After watching BBC News 24 Live for the past 45 minutes, I have some important points:

>> Jeep driven into terminal doors. Apparently many attempts were made to ram the door, by reversing and moving forward. Jeep couldn't get by the automatic doors.

>> Asian driver and passenger.

>> Passenger of Jeep started weilding a bottle with a lit rag on the top (petrol bomb). Whilst the driver was trying to ram the door. High revs. Car then caught fire.

>> Passenger of Jeep tried to run off started shouting and punching members of the public and he was later repremanded by maize by the police.

>> 3 large bangs heard.

>> Terminal caught fire.

>> Both the driver and the passenger have been arrested.

>> Passengers on planes have been kept on planes. People in the affected terminal have been evacuated. All other staff and public have been kept sealed in the Airport. They will be released when Airport is deamed safe.

>> USA has just announced that it is boosting its presence of security personal at all airports.

Wow. Thanks for the update

Lau
Jun 30, 2007, 12:40 PM

I've got visions of the car trying to time it so that the doors are open with the automatic sensor and every time they drive forward the doors close again. :D

Comedy gold. :p

Queso
Jun 30, 2007, 12:43 PM
I've got visions of the car trying to time it so that the doors are open with the automatic sensor and every time they drive forward the doors close again. :D

That would be frustrating as hell. No wonder he lost his temper and decided to torch the car instead :D

nydoofus
Jun 30, 2007, 12:47 PM

Doesn't the terminal entrance have those concrete posts that are ubiquitous around buildings?

dmw007
Jun 30, 2007, 12:54 PM
Hopefully everyone is alright. :o

Lau
Jun 30, 2007, 01:24 PM
That would be frustrating as hell. No wonder he lost his temper and decided to torch the car instead :D

:D

"Darling, this is getting right on my tits. I'm frightfully embarrassed. Hand me your lighter. We'll torch the car, and say no more about it" :p

Doesn't the terminal entrance have those concrete posts that are ubiquitous around buildings?

Dunno, I've never looked, to be honest. Probably.

Cabbit
Jun 30, 2007, 02:01 PM
if there going to start attacking Scotland its time to carpet bomb the rest of the world with nukes.

Dagless
Jun 30, 2007, 02:08 PM
Hopefully everyone is alright. :o

The only folk injured appears to be the passenger. Which is awesome, frankly.

It's amazing how little news we're being told. I watched BBC News 24 at about 6-ish, 3 hours since it happened, and they didn't really offer anything new. Infact it seems like they've dropped the whole "asian" part to it. They didn't mention that once in the 15-20 minutes I watched for!

Queso
Jun 30, 2007, 02:11 PM
if there going to start attacking Scotland its time to carpet bomb the rest of the world with nukes.
Send in Mel Gibson. It worked the last time :D

john_satc
Jun 30, 2007, 02:20 PM
Pretty much confirmed that this was terrorists.

UK threat level now at its highest level 'critical' - meaning a terrorist attack is imminent.

xUKHCx
Jun 30, 2007, 03:20 PM
Ok but what are the odds of being paralyzed for the rest of your life from falling down the stairs? And what if you live in a bungalow?

Oddly enough in Janurary I fell down the stairs, while sleep walking, in my student accommodation and it is a bungalow (converted, proper tiny rooms). Thankfully I am neither dead nor paralyzed.

My sister was called into work, she is security at a northern airport.

R.Youden
Jun 30, 2007, 03:25 PM
The UK government has now put the country onto the highest state of alert possible.

If you see anyone walking around with what looks like loads of sausages under his jumper it is time to start sh*tting yourself!

Queso
Jun 30, 2007, 03:31 PM
The UK government has now put the country onto the highest state of alert possible.

If you see anyone walking around with what looks like loads of sausages under his jumper it is time to start sh*tting yourself!
He might just be pleased to see me :cool:

killerrobot
Jun 30, 2007, 03:52 PM

Damm...there goes my next Halloween costume. Thanks for spoiling it.;)

dmw007
Jun 30, 2007, 08:41 PM
The only folk injured appears to be the passenger. Which is awesome, frankly.

Good, he was the only person I was hoping would be injured.

Dagless
Jun 30, 2007, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure why, but as a chemical blond I rather enjoy Critical security levels. Community Support Officers aside - it's the only time you see police people doing their job.

nbs2
Jul 1, 2007, 05:09 PM
Two thoughts, as I couldn't find any other thread on this topic.

1) There have only been 648 views as of this post (excluding what hasn't been counted). That not very much. How does something like this not get noticed?

2) Does this mean that the DHS/TSA are going to react like they did with the liquid stuff? Remember how afterwards we could carry knives again, but no water? Does this mean we get water, but we can't drive to the airport now?

Jaffa Cake
Jul 1, 2007, 05:19 PM
I can't answer your first point, but...

2) Does this mean that the DHS/TSA are going to react like they did with the liquid stuff? Remember how afterwards we could carry knives again, but no water? Does this mean we get water, but we can't drive to the airport now?It appears (in Britain at least) that people are able to drive to the airport, but have to leave their cars much further away from the terminal building as was the case previously and of course they're subject to strict searches. I don't know what the reaction of the authorities in the States to the possibility of car bombs will be, mind.

Dagless
Jul 1, 2007, 07:39 PM
I wonder how that'll work at Manchester, the car park is glued to the entrance place.

joepunk
Jul 1, 2007, 07:52 PM
I was thinking that these attacks were planned in advance for around the departure of Blair and the introduction of the new PM Gordon Brown.

srf4real
Jul 1, 2007, 07:59 PM
Two thoughts, as I couldn't find any other thread on this topic.

1) There have only been 648 views as of this post (excluding what hasn't been counted). That not very much. How does something like this not get noticed?

It doesn't fit in to the anti- anti- terrorism movement's agenda, so they're likely staying quiet.;)

RedTomato
Jul 2, 2007, 07:31 AM
Fab quote - "Month of the Incompetent Terrorists!" That'll go on my list.

Ah hell stuff happens, and like someone said (I think the Brit chief of security) said, 'life must go on as normal, just be a bit more alert please'.

Every few months, people still dig up unexploded bombs from WWII, and even after that, there's been many bombing campaigns across the UK so what seems like a squabble amongst a bunch of wannabes is nothing much to get worked up about.

1) There have only been 648 views as of this post (excluding what hasn't been counted).

How would you have included views what hasn't been counted?

DAC47
Jul 2, 2007, 08:30 AM
After 25 years of the I.R.A attacks
these guys just look like a bunch of Clowns

Queso
Jul 2, 2007, 08:52 AM
After 25 years of the I.R.A attacks
these guys just look like a bunch of Clowns
It's painfully amateur in comparison isn't it? The media keep saying these are Al-Qaeda tactics. Why the hell haven't Al-Qaeda been defeated then? Really, if this is all they come up with we've not got much to worry about.

LOL. I'm actually embarrassed for them :D

nbs2
Jul 2, 2007, 12:06 PM
How would you have included views what hasn't been counted?

Unlike replies, vB doesn't register views in realtime. So, there may have been 675 or 700 or a million views between the last update and the time that I looked up the viewcount.

It appears (in Britain at least) that people are able to drive to the airport, but have to leave their cars much further away from the terminal building as was the case previously and of course they're subject to strict searches. I don't know what the reaction of the authorities in the States to the possibility of car bombs will be, mind.

I can understand the restrictions right now - I'm wondering once things settle back down, what will be the outcome. Will the distances in the UK be permanent? I haven't heard anything about US airports, maybe I should take a drive by airport after work on my way home. But, I'm worried that we here are going to engage in business as usual - severe over-correction until the next major threat.

My expectation? no more drop-off/pick-ups - you have to use the garages/parking lots. It may lead to more garages offering free 30 min parking and the like, but will lead to lots of accidents and congestion as there will be too many people driving around corners and stopping randomly. As it is, I'm amazed there aren't more doors sheared off in front of the terminals...

Swarmlord
Jul 2, 2007, 12:30 PM
Fortunately one of then lit himself up and then lived! That's going to leave a mark!

Queso
Jul 2, 2007, 12:45 PM
Fortunately one of then lit himself up and then lived! That's going to leave a mark!
Smoking in a public place too. He's so going down :D

Jaffa Cake
Jul 2, 2007, 01:37 PM
I can understand the restrictions right now - I'm wondering once things settle back down, what will be the outcome. Will the distances in the UK be permanent? I haven't heard anything about US airports, maybe I should take a drive by airport after work on my way home. But, I'm worried that we here are going to engage in business as usual - severe over-correction until the next major threat.In the past where rules have been brought in, I think I'm right in saying that they've generally been relaxed or even removed altogether once the threat is seen to have passed.

I can imagine before too long cars will be allowed in closer than they are at present, but perhaps with tighter security precautions as was previously the case perhaps they'll install barriers in place to prevent vehicles ramming the terminal, that sort of thing.

R.Youden
Jul 2, 2007, 01:44 PM
I was at Bristol Temple Meads railway station today and they where doing random checks on cars which made you realise how close to home these things are.

If anyone knows Temple Meads they will realise how 'good' it could be for an attack. A long approach road that leads straight into the waiting room with little or no barriers.

killerrobot
Jul 2, 2007, 01:45 PM
Smoking in a public place too. He's so going down :D

What is penalty for that now? 20-30 years, 15 with good behavior and if you've quit smoking?

Queso
Jul 2, 2007, 01:48 PM
What is penalty for that now? 20-30 years, 15 with good behavior and if you've quit smoking?
Not a case of quitting in this instance, more being put out :p

Jaffa Cake
Jul 2, 2007, 01:53 PM
Smoking in a public place too. He's so going down :DNo he was smoking outdoors, which isn't against the law it's enclosed public spaces only. I suppose they'll have to charge him with the lesser offence of trying to blow up an airport.

geese
Jul 2, 2007, 02:16 PM
I drove to Heathrow T3 today to drop my dad off for a flight. The only extra security i saw were about 5 armed policeman, and some police vans. Hardly any traffic, never saw any vehicle checks. As an Asian, I expected my shabby Kia Picanto to be searched, but no, nothing of the sort.

They probably thought that no terrorist in their right mind would embarrass themselves blowing themselves up in a Kia Picanto.

Don't panic
Jul 2, 2007, 02:43 PM
I drove to Heathrow T3 today to drop my dad off for a flight. The only extra security i saw were about 5 armed policeman, and some police vans. Hardly any traffic, never saw any vehicle checks. As an Asian, I expected my shabby Kia Picanto to be searched, but no, nothing of the sort.

They probably thought that no terrorist in their right mind would embarrass themselves blowing themselves up in a Kia Picanto.

:D i just received an email saying that I have just won a UK lottery for 470,000 pounds AND a kia picanto.
Are you suggesting i shouldn't call in to claim it?

on topic, i agree that they don't seem very 'professionl'l, but what they're doing is bad enough that the needed reactions have a huge cost economically and in term of convenience in everyday life if not, luckily, in human lives.

DAC47
Jul 2, 2007, 04:48 PM
Maybe we should all be issued with these T shirts
http://craphound.com/images/keepcalmtee.jpg

geese
Jul 2, 2007, 05:47 PM
:D i just received an email saying that I have just won a UK lottery for 470,000 pounds AND a kia picanto.
Are you suggesting i shouldn't call in to claim it?

on topic, i agree that they don't seem very 'professionl'l, but what they're doing is bad enough that the needed reactions have a huge cost economically and in term of convenience in everyday life if not, luckily, in human lives.

Well, the 470,000 GPB is going to be bogus, but I could certainly believe a criminal enterprise involving getting rid of Korea excess stocks of Kia Picantos! I know its really off topic, but nothing winds other drivers up more then being overtaken by a Picanto.

Whilst these attacks are a bit frightening, i think this bungled attempt might have set-back the fundamentalist movement slightly. They not only failed, but made themselves look stupid. No-one was able to kill themselves, all but one were caught by the Police, disruption has been relatively moderate, the UK isn't in a state of panic or crisis.

What kind of extremist would be inspired by that?

geese
Jul 2, 2007, 05:51 PM
I think this b3ta post (http://www.b3ta.com/board/7360806) sums their effort up!

http://www.zaphod.uwclub.net/attack.gif

Devil's Refugee
Jul 3, 2007, 07:32 AM
http://www.theregister.com/2007/07/02/terror_idiocy_outbreak/

Interesting article on the whole affair

DerChef
Jul 3, 2007, 07:44 AM
BREAKING NEWS: Name of the Driver in the Glasgow terror attack has been released
SINGHE MAJEEP :p

DAC47
Jul 3, 2007, 10:43 AM
The irony is that these fools could have killed a lot of people
just by working for the NHS for a few years

RedTomato
Jul 3, 2007, 11:56 AM
About 10 pm last night my brother who was working in his studio in Hackney (in London, just off Dalston Kingsland station) heard a huge bang / boom. He texted me to check the news (no internet in his studio).

there was nowt an hour later - wonder if any of you in london heard anything? (probably just a loud fart from the next studio over...)

Queso
Jul 3, 2007, 12:06 PM
About 10 pm last night my brother who was working in his studio in Hackney (in London, just off Dalston Kingsland station) heard a huge bang / boom. He texted me to check the news (no internet in his studio).

there was nowt an hour later - wonder if any of you in london heard anything? (probably just a loud fart from the next studio over...)
I know where we were the rain came down really hard just after 9:30, and Hackney is to the East of us. Thunderstorm right overhead maybe?

RedTomato
Jul 3, 2007, 01:18 PM
I know where we were the rain came down really hard just after 9:30, and Hackney is to the East of us. Thunderstorm right overhead maybe?

Islington tosser :cool:

Yeah thunderstorm seems right. Had a few lighting flashes just now while typing this (in NW london). Remarkable, nothing but rain and bits of sun for like the last month solid.

My partner said seems like spring and summer have swapped over this year... (remember that lovely hot sun for a full month back in the early part of the year? )

BoyBach
Jul 3, 2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah thunderstorm seems right. Had a few lighting flashes just now while typing this (in NW london). Remarkable, nothing but rain and bits of sun for like the last month solid.

My partner said seems like spring and summer have swapped over this year... (remember that lovely hot sun for a solid month back in the early part of the year? )

We had a thunder and hail storm earlier today.

Bloody terrorists global warming weather!

Queso
Jul 3, 2007, 01:35 PM
Islington tosser :cool:
Islington? How very dare you? I don't live that far out :D

BoyBach
Jul 6, 2007, 04:05 PM
Man charged over 'airport bomb'

Bilal Abdullah, one of the men arrested after the suspected car bomb attack at Glasgow airport, has been charged with conspiracy to cause explosions.

Dr Abdullah, 27, an Iraqi doctor, will appear before Westminster magistrates on Saturday following the alleged terror plots in London and Glasgow.

The Crown Prosecution Service said Mr Abdullah was being charged under the 1883 Explosive Substances Act.

The charge, which covers a period from January 1 to July 1 this year, alleges that he "unlawfully and maliciously conspired with others to cause explosions of a nature likely to endanger life or cause serious injury to property in the United Kingdom".

It carries a maximum sentence of life.

Link to BBC News story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6278318.stm)

goodtimes5
Jul 6, 2007, 04:32 PM
What's wrong with Europe lately?

Queso
Jul 6, 2007, 04:53 PM
What's wrong with Europe lately?
Nothing out of the ordinary. A bit of terrorist action in the background, but mostly just the rule of law being applied to all as ever ;)

bartelby
Jul 6, 2007, 04:56 PM
Nothing out of the ordinary. A bit of terrorist action in the background

Yeah, nothing to worry about. We're kind of used to it.

iBlue
Jul 7, 2007, 02:43 AM
I think this b3ta post (http://www.b3ta.com/board/7360806) sums their effort up!

http://www.zaphod.uwclub.net/attack.gif
I love that so much I avatared it!* I'm still giggling. :D

*will appear later when the servers catch up