PDA

View Full Version : Resellers Removing 12" and 17" PowerBook ads

MacRumors
Jul 15, 2003, 10:38 AM
Resellers are being asked to remove the 12" and 17" PowerBook ads by tomorrow.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 15, 2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
Resellers are being asked to remove the 12" and 17" PowerBook ads by tomorrow.

So they'll have new ones on Thursday?

Interesting timing here - the last day of MWNY, and nothing new up there....kind of crappy if you ask me.

D

NNO-Stephen
Jul 15, 2003, 10:43 AM
(cheater)

anyway, yay! new PowerBooks this week! :D

arn
Jul 15, 2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
So they'll have new ones on Thursday?

Interesting timing here - the last day of MWNY, and nothing new up there....kind of crappy if you ask me.

D

The timing is right...

Joswiak's keynote is tomorrow.

arn

cubist
Jul 15, 2003, 10:50 AM
Great catch!

But strange... why would they want the ads removed if we were only getting a speed bump and/or an updated 15"?

Mr. Anderson
Jul 15, 2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by arn
The timing is right...

Joswiak's keynote is tomorrow.

Ah, for some strange reason I was thinking it was today - silly me.

Well, that is news then. Updating the whole line of PowerBooks would be quite welcome - although I'm really curious as to what processor they're going to be putting in there......can it be more than 1 GHz without being too hot?

D

mstecker
Jul 15, 2003, 10:51 AM
Now that's what I want to hear. I just sent my 17"pb back to amazon just in time to catch the end of the 30-day return period. I'll feel silly if nothing new comes out.

C'mon baby! Speed bumps! Daddy needs a new PowerBook.

M.

NNO-Stephen
Jul 15, 2003, 10:56 AM

Well, that is news then. Updating the whole line of PowerBooks would be quite welcome - although I'm really curious as to what processor they're going to be putting in there......can it be more than 1 GHz without being too hot?

D

it could be *gasp*

PowerBook G5! Year of the notebook... come on now... :D

1Ghz clock speeds... it could work!

moosecat
Jul 15, 2003, 10:57 AM
I don't understand. Why not the 15" ads?

And I wonder under what circumstances Apple asks resellers to pull ads. What is the significance of that? (As opposed to, for instance, just letting the resellers modify their ads after the products are introduced.)

This seems worthy of page 1 to me, assuming the information is totally reliable.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 15, 2003, 10:57 AM
i think they are being asked to remove them so that they can hang up pnes for the wohle powerbook line. the keys will b silver on the 15" as well as a backlight keyboard.
too bad i dont have the money.:(

astray
Jul 15, 2003, 11:00 AM
Let's not overeact, i doubt we'll get a G5, if we do ill soil my pants. But, what we can hope for is lower pricing on the 17 and fast processor in the 12 . And an AL 15".

edited so that i don't look stoopid ;)

NNO-Stephen
Jul 15, 2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by astray
Let's not overeact, i doubt we'll get a G%, if we do ill soil my pants. But, what we can hope for is lower pricing on the 17 and fast processor in the 12 . And an AL 15".

I'd crap my pants if we got a G% too... who ever heard of introducing a new processor on top of a new processor.... odd indeed.

but a G5, I'd at least be ecstatic...

PowerBook User
Jul 15, 2003, 11:03 AM
This is interesting. Maybe they will update the entire PowerBook line. I hope they at least update the 15-inch models. A lot of people are waiting for that. The timing would be right. Back-to-school season is right around the corner.

stefman
Jul 15, 2003, 11:07 AM
Please...pretty please!!

Let the new PB come!! I am dying here!!!

moosecat
Jul 15, 2003, 11:09 AM
Amazon.com has dropped the price of the 12" combo drive to $1494 (after a $100 rebate). (At least I think this is new.)

A subtle but potentially meaningful point about this: You don't have to put it in your shopping cart to see this price. Normally, Apple sets minimum prices that its resellers can advertise, and that's why resellers with lower prices require you to put it in your shopping cart or call them to get the real price. This price is public. I think that means Apple has authorized it.

(The $100 rebate is for all three models. The 12" is the one I've been keeping track of.)

Freg3000
Jul 15, 2003, 11:14 AM
May I ask...what ads? Like the more is more/less is more ads?

If this is true, it seems like a pretty good indication that PowerBooks are coming. As to the reason why no 15" ads have to be pulled-are there even 15" PowerBook ads? (unless I am misinterpreting the definition of an ad)

MacPrices.com (http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml) is still showing the PowerBooks largely in stock, with only the high end 12" and 15" models out of stock in a few stores.

Pray.

MetallicPenguin
Jul 15, 2003, 11:30 AM
Okay the 15"/whole powerbook line has to be updated. The 15" hasn't been updated in what? 10 months? I would certainly hope this means something, as Apple could just be making new ad campaigns or something.

moosecat
Jul 15, 2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Freg3000
[B]MacPrices.com (http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml) is still showing the PowerBooks largely in stock, with only the high end 12" and 15" models out of stock in a few stores.

Maybe that's why a price drop may be taking effect (if the Amazon rebate I posted about above is a sign of a broader price drop). Note that the Amazon rebate is valid from 7/13 to 8/6, which might suggest either (1) Amazon is clueless about any updates, or (2) these models will still be available, but at a lower price, post-update.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 15, 2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by MetallicPenguin
Okay the 15"/whole powerbook line has to be updated. The 15" hasn't been updated in what? 10 months? I would certainly hope this means something, as Apple could just be making new ad campaigns or something.

the 15" updated with just a speed bump in november. thart makes it 8 months. 10 month wait was the iPods:)

NNO-Stephen
Jul 15, 2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
the 15" updated with just a speed bump in november. thart makes it 8 months. 10 month wait was the iPods:)

ahh, but the iPod does not need an update as often as say... a computer.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 15, 2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by NNO-Stephen
ahh, but the iPod does not need an update as often as say... a computer.

true, but i think that they waited becasue they had something big up thier sleeve. the new iPods were compltely new cases. that's what i forgot to say;)

MetallicPenguin
Jul 15, 2003, 11:43 AM

Ehh...what's the difference?:p

Edit: And aren't we waiting for a case revision to the PowerBook too? I'm not really even making a point I'm just making conversation to fill up time gaps.

kenaustus
Jul 15, 2003, 12:01 PM
I would be surprised to see the G5 in a PB before IBM moves to the .09 micron process, but there is a chance for speed bumps, if Moto finally has their act together - or IBM is providing a G4 based chip that is faster and cheaper.

The surprise I would like to see is DUAL G4's in the 17" and, hopefully, in the 15". That would be a first and drive the WinTel laptop makers nuts! ("Get a dual Dude . . .")

I think pulling ads is more related to price changes, along with the speed bumps, plus the Al packaging for the 15".

I'm saving my pennies for the G5 sometime in 2004. I'm going to need the time to save enough to get one.

freundt
Well,

They might be announced.. but they will not ship for a while yet.
So, While I'm gonna plunk down my plastic the picosecond they are available to order, I'm not expecting to get my damn dirty paws on one till at least sept.

Sad but true.

But hey, here's praying the fuity chaos gods that I'm wrong.

NNO-Stephen
Ehh...what's the difference?:p

Edit: And aren't we waiting for a case revision to the PowerBook too? I'm not really even making a point I'm just making conversation to fill up time gaps.

we may be waiting for only a case revision, but if that were the case (no pun intended) then they probably would have rolled that out with the 12" and 17" PowerBooks as well. it would only make sense. but there has to be some reason they didn't update it.

I am on the bleeding edge of sanity here, but I think it's possible that they waited cause the G5 was right around the corner. but this still does not explain why the hell they would let the 15" lag behind so damn much. That's what I love about Apple, they keep us all guessing when some things just seem like a no brainer... kudos to them for that. Them and Nintendo I swear. yeesh.

astray
Jul 15, 2003, 12:14 PM
The lack of any 15" updates since last Nov. is very strange, and could be for many reasons.

1) They had a LOT!! of TiBooks left in Jan, so they would have lost alot of money by releasing an albook.

2) They did it to spite me. (Surprisingly likely..)

3) They were working on a touch screen tablet style machine..but in a think different way.

4) They are going to put a G5 in it by the end of the year so a Jan rev. was cancelled.

5) It kept exploding??

6) Err...they will release a dual processor machine (this is my best hope...)

7) It will be made of Platinum, which is taking longer to source than aluminium.

7.5) Ive run out of ideas, feel free to add to the possibilities

mstecker
Jul 15, 2003, 12:25 PM
For a while, I had myself convinced that the lack of a 15" update meant that something "big" was up. No other reason for it, I thought.

Until I remembered that this is the only PowerBook that boots to OS9. That's why they're keeping it around.

It's a much simpler explanation than any crazy thoughts about duals or G5s being right around the corner.

I wish that wasn't the case, but I bet it is.

nagromme
Jul 15, 2003, 12:26 PM
Does "ads" mean in-store-displays/posters? Literature racks? Images in catalogs? Newspaper ads? Online special promos? Are these ads that Apple has supplied, or the resellers make on their own? What do resellers have that would be called an "ad" for just a specific model?

(I ask in the hopes that this clarification might help explain why the 15" ads are being allowed to remain.)

P.S. There will be no G5s in PowerBooks for a long time--Apple has publicly said so. Faster G4s are what's next. And a 15" AlBook... unless MacWhispers is right about the 15" keeping the old Ti case even when the 15" features get boosted. Which sounds bizarre to me.

gopher
Jul 15, 2003, 12:27 PM
I think the 15" is lasting so long because people need a powerful notebook that still boots into Mac OS 9. Of course the difficulties some have had with Airport connections makes it hard for anyone who needs wireless and a powerful notebook that boots into Mac OS 9. Once Apple can get over 50% of available software to be Mac OS X native, perhaps the 15" notebook will be made boot only into Mac OS X. Not to mention they still haven't solved how to give 100% Mac OS 9 hardware compatibility to the Classic environment. That I hope they solve soon, otherwise we'll have 15" Titaniums for the forseeable future.

Lanbrown
Jul 15, 2003, 12:29 PM

D

Yes, if it's the 7457. As of a few weeks ago the 7457 was to be here one quarter sooner. It was moved form the last quarter to the third quarter. This is the third quarter.

moosecat
Jul 15, 2003, 12:32 PM
Please add to the random stew of factors being discussed here and on other threads: Apple is announcing earnings tomorrow. Might be a good occasion to update (especially if the earnings disappoint!).

Jerry Spoon
Jul 15, 2003, 12:34 PM
can I get off this roller coaster ride of PB anticipation! I'm getting sick to my stomach:eek:

freundt
Jul 15, 2003, 12:35 PM
A little more fuel...

Wasn;t there a rumor not to long ago that Steve was going to bow out of the keynotes in the future? Could this mean that "Joz" is now gonna crank up his own distortion field?

NNO-Stephen
Jul 15, 2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by freundt
A little more fuel...

Wasn;t there a rumor not to long ago that Steve was going to bow out of the keynotes in the future? Could this mean that "Joz" is now gonna crank up his own distortion field?

doubt it, Jobs is due to give the stevenote in September 16th at the Apple Expo in Paris. so doesn't look to be the case, but maybe Steve has a prior engagement...

crees!
Jul 15, 2003, 12:49 PM
mod edited...

vulgar language not tolerated...

sonofslim
Jul 15, 2003, 12:51 PM
i have it on personally confirmed information that tonight, while we all slumber peacefully, Jobs is going to fly 'round the world in a magical sleigh pulled by Joz & Ives. he'll flit from rooftop to rooftop with a sack of G5 PBs over his shoulder, delivering the goods to the faithful, and leaving lumps of AOL CDs in the homes of dudes who got Dell.

edit: sorry, that last paragraph was one big typo. it should have read:
Apple is going to keep us guessing until such a time as befits their master plan, which has always been obtuse to the likes of us. i wouldn't put much money on a new PB this week, but if i'm wrong... so much the better.

betoranaldi
Jul 15, 2003, 12:57 PM
If Apple is supposed to release earnings tomorrow and they arent the greatest PB updates would take peoples minds off of it.

School is right around the corner (september's paris keynote would be too late for this market) , with alot of students looking for laptops

also Moto says the 7457 will be available Q3 (now) with less power usage and speed increases. which would make all the PB more ideal mobile units.

And now ads being removed... I guess the question is what would you consider and "ad" either way if it's true it just adds more to the theory of a PB update (NOT G5)

This is just my opinion on things; please take with a grain of salt.

-Brian

crees!
Jul 15, 2003, 01:06 PM
What hurts is that I go to school all year round. So the sooner the better ya know.

*Twiddling my thumbs contemplating the end of the world, or possibly the re-birth*

QCassidy352
Jul 15, 2003, 01:17 PM
I really really hope it's true... updates to the whole line and not just the 15" would be great. IMO, the 12" really needs help... it's basically the same speed as an ibook on most tasks, has no L3 cache, and lacks a lot of the bells and whistles that the bigger ones have. It needs to be brought up to a true "pro" level.

by the way: what does it mean when a rumor is posted by "macrumors" as opposed to by "arn"? I only ask since arn weighed in on this thread under his own name, but the thread was posted by "macrumors."

rjeffreyproctor
Jul 15, 2003, 01:22 PM
You guy's are all crazy <especially the nintendo guy>. I LOVE IT!

I would really like to see a G5 powerbook, BUT I would settle for a dual processor g4 powerbook.

My 2 cents.

Jeff

NNO-Stephen
Jul 15, 2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by QCassidy352
I really really hope it's true... updates to the whole line and not just the 15" would be great. IMO, the 12" really needs help... it's basically the same speed as an ibook on most tasks, has no L3 cache, and lacks a lot of the bells and whistles that the bigger ones have. It needs to be brought up to a true "pro" level.

by the way: what does it mean when a rumor is posted by "macrumors" as opposed to by "arn"? I only ask since arn weighed in on this thread under his own name, but the thread was posted by "macrumors."

but arn IS Macrumors. 'tis the word of our lord and savior himself. :D

reflex
Jul 15, 2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by astray
2) They did it to spite me. (Surprisingly likely..)

Yes, Steve always tells me how much you annoy him :cool:

kmac51
Jul 15, 2003, 01:58 PM
mac zone email i recieved said to come back tomorrow for special information on new Apple announcements.

Sounds like a new mac to me!!!!

kmac:D

rueyeet
Jul 15, 2003, 02:08 PM
There's just something inherently wrong about sending your big hardware honcho up on a stage for a couple hours and not having any hardware news. Just....wrong.

Maybe it just won't be as exciting as we're hoping, though. Not as exciting as a spanking new Mac, for example. Can't have Joz outdoing Steve. ;)

I am prepared, as all speculators must be, to eat my words. Words is brain food, yessiree.

NNO-Stephen
Jul 15, 2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by rueyeet
There's just something inherently wrong about sending your big hardware honcho up on a stage for a couple hours and not having any hardware news. Just....wrong.

Maybe it just won't be as exciting as we're hoping, though. Not as exciting as a spanking new Mac, for example. Can't have Joz outdoing Steve. ;)

I am prepared, as all speculators must be, to eat my words. Words is brain food, yessiree.

it's only one hour, not several, but meh. I'm overly optimistic about the outcome, so no worries :D

tex210
Jul 15, 2003, 02:15 PM
Makes me think of Best Buy rumor.

papaolo
Jul 15, 2003, 02:22 PM
but this still does not explain why the hell they would let the 15" lag behind so damn much.

Just one thought for my first post here:

As the great expectation for a 15 Ai shows, if Apple had a 15 Ai since February, they would have sold loads of them.

Making the announce of the Pb G5 in July a huge deception for too many people...

papaolo

moosecat
Jul 15, 2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by kmac51
mac zone email i recieved said to come back tomorrow for special information on new Apple announcements.

Sounds like a new mac to me!!!!

kmac:D

That's pretty big news! Do they send these e-mails out for crappy stuff? (I.e., "new Apple announcement" being free SimCity with .mac renewal?) Or do they only go out for hardware?

evilfunkgenius
Jul 15, 2003, 02:37 PM
Here is what is coming:

1. Speed bumped PowerBook 17" (to 1.25 and 1.4ghz)
2. New PowerBook 15" enclosure (1.25 and 1ghz)
3. Speed bumped PowerBook 12" (1ghz)

Same prices, faster processors.

And if I had to guess, I would say either during the speech tomorrow (to give dude something to talk about) or on Monday (so as to not upset IDG people, too much).

NNO-Stephen
Jul 15, 2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by evilfunkgenius
Here is what is coming:

And if I had to guess, I would say either during the speech tomorrow (to give dude something to talk about) or on Monday (so as to not upset IDG people, too much).

wont work unless they go to the 7457 processor because the 7455 runs too damn hot for anything above a 1Ghz

betoranaldi
Jul 15, 2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by evilfunkgenius
Here is what is coming:

if you dont mind me asking... what does "IDG" stand for in "IDG people"

Marble
Jul 15, 2003, 03:03 PM
They are the peeps who organize the MacWorld expositions, and recently got into a sort of scrap with Apple over the MacWorld July location and name.

RichP
Jul 15, 2003, 03:05 PM
Fingers are crossed for some faster processors..

sorry i dont have anything really productive to add, just patiently waiting for this faster 17 to arrive.:D

tpjunkie
Jul 15, 2003, 03:12 PM
Something is clearly coming. I'm going to say that at the very least, its going to be better video cards in the 12 and 17" powerbooks. Perhaps slight speed bumps to 1 Ghz and something in the 1.2 area respectively.

kmac51
Jul 15, 2003, 03:13 PM
lets see if i can get the email here.

it is a pdf attachment

kmac:)

MasterMac
Jul 15, 2003, 03:28 PM
Sweeeeet!!! This should really be on page 1 :p

I really do hope that I will see *something* new before the end of the month :)

MacFan25
Jul 15, 2003, 03:30 PM
Well, I wouldn't doubt if we will see new PowerBooks tomorrow. Or could it be that Apple is coming up with a new ad campaign? :confused:

Hopefully it will be more than that. :D

kmac51
Jul 15, 2003, 03:42 PM
I have a 400 DVD Pbook that I would love to replace. I almost got the 12" last week but would have kicked myself if they did something new this week. My old 400 is a great machine and I love it. But, I can't even load keynote on it b/c specs call for a min 500 mhz processor. Ugh!

Lets hope something new comes out tomorrow so I can spend some money!!!!!

kmac

SeedlessX
Jul 15, 2003, 03:46 PM
hey everyone

im new here, but just thought i would point this out: as of today, shipping on ALL powerbooks (except 12-inch combo) from apple.com is same-day...who thinks new powerbooks tomorrow??:confused:

nagromme
Jul 15, 2003, 03:48 PM
That MacMall ad looks like it could be pure speculation, based on nothing more than MacMall ASSUMING something new--small or large--will be announced. An effort to drive MacMall traffic. Add "if any" to the ad's sentence in black. Or "new announcements" could be FROM MacMall: special promos.

I'm not saying MacMall doesn't know something, just that the ad doesn't convince me they do. It's too vague to base anything on.

I'll still hope for a new 15" AlBook for the people I've been telling to hold off!

Captnroger
Jul 15, 2003, 04:01 PM
You guys will never learn, no PB updates tomorrow, not to the 15" anyways. They've got too many left in inventory to dump. See ya at MacWorld.

And for the record yes I'd order a 15" aluPB if they were launched tomorrow, but it ain't going to happen.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 15, 2003, 04:04 PM
I have a 400 DVD Pbook that I would love to replace. I almost got the 12" last week but would have kicked myself if they did something new this week. My old 400 is a great machine and I love it. But, I can't even load keynote on it b/c specs call for a min 500 mhz processor. Ugh!

Lets hope something new comes out tomorrow so I can spend some money!!!!!

kmac

I have a 400mhz iMac DV and Keynote works beautifully.

As per this "rumor"... i don't know... seems weird. I give no weight to the MacZone image (just speculation like th brown-paper-wrapped-G4 prior to G5 announcements). We'll see... I'm in the market for the 15 too, so, here's to hoping!

(though i'm really expecting G5 PowerBooks at MWSF)

nickmcghie
Jul 15, 2003, 04:06 PM
For those of you expecting new hardware from Apple tomorrow based on that email from MacZone, don't get your hopes too high. It simplely said to check back tomorrow for "new announcements." It never said "new announcemnents from Apple." ANY company could release new products tomorrow, and I'll bet that several companies will do so.

Although I surely wish that new powerbooks will be released tomorrow, I'm definitely not expecting them to be.

My philosophy is to always expect the worse. That way, if nothing is announced, I won't be disappointed; and if something is announced, I will be ecstatic :D

fabsgwu
Jul 15, 2003, 04:25 PM
wont work unless they go to the 7457 processor because the 7455 runs too damn hot for anything above a 1Ghz

Will they change the name of the G4? maybe we can get a G$ if not a G% :rolleyes:

visor
Jul 15, 2003, 04:28 PM
New PB's will all have :
double G5
8 Fans
Oled Screens
2gig ram
they will only weight 10,5Kg
and be powered by small diesel generators.

Escher
Jul 15, 2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by sonofslim
i have it on personally confirmed information that tonight, while we all slumber peacefully, Jobs is going to fly 'round the world in a magical sleigh pulled by Joz & Ives. he'll flit from rooftop to rooftop with a sack of G5 PBs over his shoulder, delivering the goods to the faithful, and leaving lumps of AOL CDs in the homes of dudes who got Dell.

edit: sorry, that last paragraph was one big typo. it should have read:
Apple is going to keep us guessing until such a time as befits their master plan, which has always been obtuse to the likes of us. i wouldn't put much money on a new PB this week, but if i'm wrong... so much the better.

:D

How could I not love sonofslim's humour?

IMO, Apple's masterplan is to keep us guessing until Jozwiak's keynote, when we will see updated Aluminum PowerBooks across the line, i.e. 12-inch, 15-inch, and 17-inch models.

Escher

astray
Jul 15, 2003, 04:53 PM
Macosrumors, reliable source that they are have come out with their own new Rumor.

The new PB's are to come out soon, though not a MW Create (whatever it's called), this will see the 12" move to 1 Ghz, and the other models to both go up to a posssible 1.33Ghz. The 15" will get the Alu body and feature set. Also they touch upon the fact that other rumors suggest 2x dvd burning may appear as well as backlit keyboards for the 15".

http://www.macosrumors.com/

QCassidy352
Jul 15, 2003, 05:12 PM
but arn IS Macrumors. 'tis the word of our lord and savior himself. :D

that's why I was asking... if arn is macrumors, why post under two different names? why not have the original post just come from "arn"? Sorry, I don't mean to get off topic here. I'm just curious.

And for those who are thinking dual G4 processors... no way. G5s would be more likely. Dual G4s would be way too hot.

g3ski
Jul 15, 2003, 05:13 PM
I was surprised that Apple would "tell" resellers to pull ads. in most cases, they want to be the first pony to showcase the lower prices and new gear, annyway.....

I searched the web (for a minute), and:

Apple Store - PBs still there
Macwarehouse - no PB on home page
Macmall - up to $300 off PB
Mac Zone - PB on home page w/ free ram
MacConnection - no PB on home page
Outpost - no PB on home page

So there is the proof!......? I don't know if these pages have changed in the last few days or not. In all cases the PBs were still on the site, but they were harder to find than other products, and the 15" models were very scarce.

nagromme
Jul 15, 2003, 05:20 PM
I hope the 7457 is out. That would be a reason for Apple to have waited so long. Getting a power-hungry 7455 again--as MacOSRumors expects--would be a shame.

cr2sh
Jul 15, 2003, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure how we got from "Pull the 12" and 17" ads" to "12 and 17 price reductions" that makes no sense...
a 15", yeh i could see it happening... with a 4X superdrive and 1.17GHz.. maybe..

g5, no f'n way.

I wouldnt be surprised to see the 12" retired and the 17" and 15" promotion being launched.

gunb0y
Jul 15, 2003, 05:52 PM
i hope they come out with new powerbooks before october... i finally have enough money to buy one!

mstecker
Jul 15, 2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by cr2sh
...I wouldnt be surprised to see the 12" retired and the 17" and 15" promotion being launched.

Why in the world would they retire the 12"? I've heard they're selling like crazy.

cr2sh
Jul 15, 2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by mstecker
Why in the world would they retire the 12"? I've heard they're selling like crazy.

The 12" is available for a limited time.. it'll be retired sooner than later.

szark
Jul 15, 2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by QCassidy352
that's why I was asking... if arn is macrumors, why post under two different names? why not have the original post just come from "arn"? Sorry, I don't mean to get off topic here. I'm just curious.

Macrumors (and MacBytes) are automated scripts that update several different things so that arn doesn't have to manually make a thread, update the main page, etc. (Based upon my limited knowledge of the whole process.)

rmac
Jul 15, 2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by SeedlessX
hey everyone

im new here, but just thought i would point this out: as of today, shipping on ALL powerbooks (except 12-inch combo) from apple.com is same-day...who thinks new powerbooks tomorrow??:confused:

I don't think that tells us anything. The expected shipping time has been going down at a normal rate from the 7-10 days that was up a week or so ago. If you are aiming for a Wednesday release, who cares if it says shipping next day on Tuesday....maybe they wouldn't mind doing that as early back as Sunday (only have to hold up shipping one day or have a limited number of returns). Then again, they may have just had a supply problem that was fixed in the time they predicted....

MyLeftNut
Jul 15, 2003, 06:21 PM
Um...four words:

"Year of the laptop." No. Er..."year of the powerbook", no um year of something or other...

mstecker
Jul 15, 2003, 06:22 PM

What's that statement based on? Your opinion? Why after touting what a great form factor it is, would they kill it?

NNO-Stephen
Jul 15, 2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by MyLeftNut
Um...four words:

"Year of the laptop." No. Er..."year of the powerbook", no um year of something or other...

year of the notebook? ;)

edgar_is_good
Jul 15, 2003, 06:28 PM

You make it sound like the McRib.

No WAY would Apple pull the 12in. Lots of people I bet debated between the shear portability of the ibook with the +'s of the powerbook... and the powerbook didn't always win. This line fills that need.

cr2sh
Jul 15, 2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by edgar_is_good
No WAY would Apple pull the 12in.

Look at a 12in powerbook floor display recently? The COMPUSA 12" features an Apple sign that clearly states "Available for a limited time only."

I know this to be true, but I'm going to go get some evidence.. bbiab. :) I'm going to also try to get a 17" display from the guys....

Lord Bodak
Jul 15, 2003, 06:45 PM

As long as they're selling as well as they are, I don't think retirement is in the 12's immediate future. They found a niche, it would be stupid to throw the ultraportable market away.

But if a new 12" is announced... then hey, the old 12" is gone, and so "limited time only" was true.

jzieske
Jul 15, 2003, 06:47 PM
Look at a 12in powerbook floor display recently? The COMPUSA 12" features an Apple sign that clearly states "Available for a limited time only."

Was at local CompUSA on Monday and did not see a sign lik that at all. Unless it was some sort of bundle they were promoting (like the iPod bundle for studdents). And for the record I did not even notice that ad.

danielgrenell
Jul 15, 2003, 06:57 PM
the new powerbooks will be 15 inchers, the reason they are asked to take down the old ones, is so that they made put up the new posters with the 15 albook in 'em.

kcmac
Jul 15, 2003, 07:09 PM
If they did drop the 12" PB I would say resale value just went up on mine.

I can't see them doing it.

cr2sh
Jul 15, 2003, 07:15 PM
Here's the sign I speak of.. yes, I stole it. It required me taking it out of a cool plastic apple frame thingy. It got wet on the dash to my jeep, its raining quite heavily here in dayton.

http://www.sininc.org/1.jpeg

http://www.sininc.org/2.jpeg

I mispoke, failing to quote the sign correctly before...

ethernet76
Jul 15, 2003, 07:26 PM
Ok I did some research. Moto said on their site that the 7547 went into production in Feb 2003 and that speeds were up to 1300.
Another press release on their site states that they delivered the 7457 G4 chip as of June 2. http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2687_2175_23,00.html . I'm not sure about the turn around, but if Apple had to just plug in the chip wouldn't it make sense to have them real soon?

idkew
Jul 15, 2003, 07:29 PM
I'd crap my pants if we got a G% too... who ever heard of introducing a new processor on top of a new processor.... odd indeed.

but a G5, I'd at least be ecstatic...

edited...personal attacks are grounds for account termination...

noverflow
Jul 15, 2003, 07:29 PM
Here's the sign I speak of.. yes, I stole it. It required me taking it out of a cool plastic apple frame thingy. It got wet on the dash to my jeep, its raining quite heavily here in dayton.

http://www.sininc.org/1.jpeg

http://www.sininc.org/2.jpeg

I mispoke, failing to quote the sign correctly before...

When the first g4 came out it came out with the 22in cinema display. Back when you could only buy the 22in with a g4 high end.

The cinima display said that "state of the art technolgy and supplies will naturally be limited" or something verymuch like that.

ALSO

of corse the 12in will eventually be retired... so will ALL products.

CocoaMaven
Jul 15, 2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by SeedlessX
hey everyone

That points to a speed bump. Often they will take orders knowing they will fulfill them with the newer faster machines at the same price.

IF you want to be really aggressive, you could place an order today, hoping it will be bumped before they ship it!

cr2sh
Jul 15, 2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by noverflow
When the first g4 came out it came out with the 22in cinema display. Back when you could only buy the 22in with a g4 high end.

The cinima display said that "state of the art technolgy and supplies will naturally be limited" or something verymuch like that.

ALSO

of corse the 12in will eventually be retired... so will ALL products.

dude, youre in denial... :)

Lord Bodak
Jul 15, 2003, 07:43 PM

I just can't see the 12" going away right now. I've wanted one since they came out and I normally don't like laptops. If it goes away, so does my desire to own a PowerBook... and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

What sense does it make to discontinue a popular product that is making lots of money for its manufacturer?

chazmox
Jul 15, 2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by ethernet76
Ok I did some research. Moto said on their site that the 7547 went into production in Feb 2003 and that speeds were up to 1300.
Another press release on their site states that they delivered the 7457 G4 chip as of June 2. http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter...2175_23,00.html . I'm not sure about the turn around, but if Apple had to just plug in the chip wouldn't it make sense to have them real soon

That is very interesting! This is the first I've heard of the new processor shipping from Motorola. Since it is a drop in replacement, Apple could have stock built up of shippable units any day now.

Cool... maybe...

CocoaMaven
Jul 15, 2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by ethernet76
Another press release on their site states that they delivered the 7457 G4 chip as of June 2. http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2687_2175_23,00.html . I'm not sure about the turn around, but if Apple had to just plug in the chip wouldn't it make sense to have them real soon?

Good research! Ok, if they started production in February and delivered volumes in early June, having product on the shelves in early August should not be a problem.

I believe apple is pursuing a strategy of building up quantities between when they announce and when they ship-- used to be they announced and started shipping small quantites a few weeks later... but people hated that because they'd have to wait weeks longer than their friends because they ordered a DAY later.

So, if its a bump, then they probably have quantity on hand to meet initial orders and would be shipping in early august... the bump doesn't cause as much disruption in the supply lines and all that as a new design would.

This bodes well for a greater than 1GHz PB G4 in the next month or two...no reason not to sell them, its been six months at least since the line was refreshed.

Now we'll just have to see if they do a keynote announcement tomorow, or a silent upgrade later on...

Scribble
Jul 15, 2003, 07:57 PM
For what it's worth (and it's not much, trust me), I was in Bundy Computer here in Philly just the other day, and I seen virtually NO PB ads, although all Apple laptops were on display. I asked the salesman some questions, and he says the backlit keybord is in the new 15''.
Now, I don't know if dude was serious or not, but Bundy is well-respected in these parts, and I doubt it was a joke.
We will see.
And I second *third? the other poster. I have a 12'' PB, new, and I love it, but if they update the PB line, my wife is the next one to get one.
G5 Laptop??? If THAT pans out, I hope I am sitting down *preferably in my bathroom* when I get the news.
Hey-we can all dream, can't we?:)

Freg3000
Jul 15, 2003, 07:59 PM
I also can't see Apple dropping the 12" PowerBook. Up until Apple released the PowerBook G5 (specifically the dual 2 GHz model) the 12" model was the top selling computer at the online store. Doesn't sound like good business.

But then again, I haven't come across a satisfactory explanation to those promos for one time only PowerBooks.

ethernet76
Jul 15, 2003, 08:13 PM
Since I never made claims as to what I think will happen I'll make them now. I think the whole line will be updated. Shipping 1-2 weeks or sometime before. If I remember right Apple usually only uses shipping delays on major updates and new hardware.

Ensoniq
Jul 15, 2003, 08:16 PM

Even seeing the flyer that cr2sh so nicely provided for us...I still can't believe that the 12" PowerBook is going to go away. Only one thing could happen that would let me believe it: 12" G4 iBook

If Apple were going to finally turn the iBooks into G4 machines (and we'd all agree it's about time...AltiVec is a core technology of Apple and G3's just don't cut it anymore), THEN I could see the 12" PowerBook being discontinued. Except it wouldn't be...not really. Change the external case from Aluminum to Snow, and your G4 iBook is ready to go.

The price difference between a combo iBook 12" with 256 MB of RAM and combo PowerBook 12" is only $250. At this very moment, the price difference is so negligible that it really doesn't make sense to buy the iBook at all unless you're getting the super cheap CD-only version.

So if Apple could lower the 12" combo PowerBook price just a tad more, and sell it exactly as is at iBook prices, we'd have a winner. PowerBooks (including the new 15") have the keyboard light sensor, DVI out, FireWire 800, L3 cache, etc...all the stuff that differentiates the 12" and 17" now. The 12" as is, with no upgrades except to 1 GHz, is a G4 iBook with NO NEW COST to Apple except for the Snow casing.

And since Apple needs to sell a low cost laptop (iBook) but couldn't have a G4 iBook and G4 PowerBook both at 12" due to lack of distinction, THEN and ONLY THEN would it make sense to "kill" the 12" PowerBook in order to give it a new outside case and name change to iBook. Sure...it will lose a TINY bit of "sex appeal" by going to Snow from Aluminum and being an "i" product instead of "Power" product. But for most, they'd rather save a few bucks.

Assuming none of what I said about the iBook going to the G4 is true, then I predict that there's no way the 12" PowerBook will be discontinued UNTIL the iBook has a G4. The 12" PowerBook was created specifically to fill a niche the iBook could not ... tiny laptop, G4 processor. Only a G4 iBook 12" replaces the need for the PowerBook 12". :)

JtheLemur
Jul 15, 2003, 08:52 PM
1. Remove CD/DVD drive completely

2. Make battery bigger, by having it cover more physical space and making it thinner at the same time

3. Super-thin screen and keyboard/speaker bezel

4. add (optional) FireWire-based EXternal Combo/SuperDrive

Voila, super-thin (0.6"?) 15" PowerBook.

Hey, I can dream...

Bear
Jul 15, 2003, 08:59 PM
When I was in a CompUseless recently, the 12" PB with Super Drive had a sign on it like that. The 12" PB with a Combo Drive did not have such a sign.

As a matter of fact, the sign was very specific to the Super Drive model.

mustang_dvs
Jul 15, 2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by papaolo
As the great expectation for a 15 Ai shows, if Apple had a 15 Ai since February, they would have sold loads of them.

Hmmm... Interesting, since "Ai" is not currently listed on the periodic table... perhaps it is a new element, atomic number 113, "Appleinium" -- sleek, durable, cool to the touch after hours of work, and the opposite sex finds you absolutely irresistable when holding it...

lets see if i can get the email here.
it is a pdf attachment

Um, why is everyone posting in PDF, all of the sudden? Did jpg/gif/png suddenly go out of style?

Originally posted by fabsgwu
Will they change the name of the G4? maybe we can get a G$ if not a G% :rolleyes:

I'd love to get my hands on a G-money, though a G-percent just doesn't appeal to me. Nor for that matter does a G-ampersand.

DHagan4755
Jul 15, 2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Bear
When I was in a CompUseless recently, the 12" PB with Super Drive had a sign on it like that. The 12" PB with a Combo Drive did not have such a sign. As a matter of fact, the sign was very specific to the Super Drive model. There is something to that. If you will recall, the 12" SuperDrive was never supposed to be retail, but a built-to-order only at the online Apple store.

jzieske
Jul 15, 2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by JtheLemur
1. Remove CD/DVD drive completely

2. Make battery bigger, by having it cover more physical space and making it thinner at the same time

3. Super-thin screen and keyboard/speaker bezel

4. add (optional) FireWire-based EXternal Combo/SuperDrive

Voila, super-thin (0.6"?) 15" PowerBook.

Hey, I can dream...

Sorry but I am REALLY hoping your wrong. No CD/DVD Drive? whats the point? Bigger battery is not a bad idea I guess. Otherwise I am looking at a powerbook so that I can get rid of external equipment not buy more.

WM.
Jul 15, 2003, 09:57 PM
If/when the whole PowerBook line is finally refreshed, does anyone think the 15 and 17 will include USB 2.0 as well as FW 800? I sincerely hope so--it sure would be nice to be able to use all those cheap peripherals with a high-speed connection...and it seems fairly plausible, since Apple has finally wised up and put it on the G5.

On the other hand, it looks like USB 2.0 on the PMG5 was only made possible by the new architecture--since any new PowerBooks probably won't have a significantly updated motherboard, maybe it isn't so likely. I guess they could make a slight tweak to the existing motherboard to add USB 2.0, but I think that would mean a significant change to the Intrepid ASIC, which after all was just introduced in January. So maybe it's pretty unlikely.

Or maybe not. :)

Whaddya think?

WM

solvs
Jul 15, 2003, 10:26 PM
No G5 laptop anytime soon, until they work out the power settings and heat issues. Same with dual G4 laptops, unless the new G4s are super low powered. And even then, only if they're desperate.

One would assume that Apple hasn't updated the 15" Ti because the 7457 would be ready soon. But as usual, Moto has issues. So we wait.

Current laptop/iPod promotions end Sept. Several trade shows in Sept. New laptops and/or iPods in Sept. Probably.

The 12" won't be going away anytime soon, unless the G4 goes in the iBook. But why would it, when the new Gobi chip is coming, and the Mojave after that (possibly with Altivec)?

The Superdrive model was BTO and limited, but popular, especially after the price drop. Soon, it will be replaced by a 1GHz+ unit. The only evidence it is going away is that picture, which is refering to the Superdrive model. Though it's possible, the whole line will go to a faster Superdrive, with a combo BTO.

No tablets anytime soon. Why? Where's the market?

-

This is all based on speculation, but common sense. I'm not going to tell you you're all wrong if you disagree, especially as I have little proof other than what I've read.

sonofslim
Jul 15, 2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
But then again, I haven't come across a satisfactory explanation to those promos for one time only PowerBooks.

i think it's like when they "accidentally" made that cereal that was all crunchberries, or mixed up the colors in the lucky charms marshmallows. (purple diamonds!?)

but back in topic land: the clock's a-tickin'... anyone want to place any last-minute wagers on what we'll see tomorrow?

i'm sticking to my guns. even with this ad-removal thing, i don't think there's been enough "chatter" in the rumormill to indicate any surprises in the next 12 hours.

NNO-Stephen
Jul 15, 2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by solvs
No G5 laptop anytime soon, until they work out the power settings and heat issues. Same with dual G4 laptops, unless the new G4s are super low powered. And even then, only if they're desperate.

One would assume that Apple hasn't updated the 15" Ti because the 7457 would be ready soon. But as usual, Moto has issues. So we wait.

Current laptop/iPod promotions end Sept. Several trade shows in Sept. New laptops and/or iPods in Sept. Probably.

no way we're seeing new iPods in September... they were refreshed in May... actually, totally redone. so no way in hell on the iPod updates...

Xserve needs an update and September seems a good time for that, NOW is the best possible time for Apple to redo the PowerBooks just in time for back to school.

Six
Jul 15, 2003, 10:36 PM
I'd love to get my hands on a G-money, though a G-percent just doesn't appeal to me. Nor for that matter does a G-ampersand. [/B]

AHH! hahahaha! thats great.. they do need a G-money processor. Have it platinum with gold trim. Maybe some purple fur? the G-money powerbook, choice of pimps, hoes, skips, skaps, skallywags, tricks, marks, mark azz tricks, trick azz marks, etc..

anywho.. im crossing my fingers for something good tomorrow.. i need a new computer, because i start college in august. im realistic about tomorrow though.. they cant do a ton more, because of heat issues.. which completely rules out G5, and super powered G4's.. whatever happens, i know they're going to update them soon, maybe not tomorrow, but it'll happen. and if it doesnt happen tomorrow, i know what i'll see.. a forum dedicated to the people who are upset about no update. they'll be like "forget apple, im getting a dell." it happens every time. so if it doesnt happen tomorrow, dont freak, it'll happen.

ibilly
Jul 15, 2003, 10:38 PM
I reacall many mentions of a 15.4 being mentioned as a replacement to the 15.2 why would it make any sense to create a new screen for a new model. wasnt most everyone happy with the current 15 incher??

chazmox
Jul 15, 2003, 10:43 PM
Ahh.... ThinkSecret is now reporting that the most probable reason that dealers were asked to remove the PB ads is because they featured Yao Ming and his contract has since changed...

The date is curious but coincidental... oh well... boo, hoo.. time to go to bed!

Aciddan
Jul 15, 2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by chazmox
Ahh.... ThinkSecret is now reporting that the most probable reason that dealers were asked to remove the PB ads is because they featured Yao Ming and his contract has since changed...

The date is curious but coincidental... oh well... boo, hoo.. time to go to bed!

Hmm, interesting but the TV ads from apple.com still feature the big/small thing:

http://www.apple.com/hardware/video/

-- Dan, holding onto hope by his fingernails (or is that his shiny CC?)

nagromme
Jul 15, 2003, 11:33 PM
Explantion for the "one time only " signs:

The SuperDrive 12" model was BTO-only. Offering that config in retail stores would thus be a limited time offer.

The 12" line, however, is not short-term. It's hugely popular, and besides, Apple wouldn't put all that money and work into making a machine with the intent to sell it for just half a year.

NNO-Stephen
Jul 16, 2003, 12:19 AM
an interesting link describing the feature set and stats of the 7457

http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC7457&nodeId=01

fairly short yet informative.

512k L2 Cache
up to 1.3Ghz
1.0Ghz can run at less than 10W
.13 micron SOI...

just go read. lotsa nice stuff.

macnews
Jul 16, 2003, 12:25 AM
Just was comparing some pricing and was greeted with this text on the Apple higher ed store:

"Reach more students for less. New lower price on 12 and 15 inch G4 models."

Very curious given the Think Secret posting about the posters being removed. I know they said it was due to contract items with Yao but this also seems very coincidental. I don't recall this being on the site this morning - but I was in a hurry could have missed it.

Alexander
Jul 16, 2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by mustang_dvs
Um, why is everyone posting in PDF, all of the sudden? Did jpg/gif/png suddenly go out of style?

OS X does screenshots in PDF format nowadays. And people are lazy.

NNO-Stephen
Jul 16, 2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Alexander
OS X does screenshots in PDF format nowadays. And people are lazy.

grab does .tiff

chancellor
Jul 16, 2003, 01:45 AM
See:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/pbpostersswupdates.html

Looks like there may be no update.

MarkCollette
Jul 16, 2003, 03:08 AM
I remember a while back when people thought that the 12" PowerBook was a sort of stop-gap inbetween the iBooks and the PowerBooks. Could the 12" PowerBook disappearing be the beginning of moving the iBooks to 7455 processors and the PowerBooks to 7457 processors?

On the other hand, there's the newer and faster G3 chips coming out, which may be better then the 7455s for power and GHz, but still won't have AltiVec support... Hmm.

Oh yeah, on a related topic, I don't think that Apple will even attempt to market a 1.2 GHz or 1.4 GHz G5 in a portable until they've had the 7457 in the PowerBooks for a while, since the R&D cost would be very low (pin compatible, etc.) So that means a minimum of six months from the 7457 until the earliest possible date of G5s in mobiles. Of course, the 7457 could just be for the iBooks ;)

Squire
Jul 16, 2003, 03:27 AM
I wouldnt be surprised to see the 12" retired and the 17" and 15" promotion being launched.

But isn't the 12" one of Apple's top ten selling products? (Number 9...just checked.) If they announce earnings and announce the demise of one of their hottest products...wouldn't that sort of tick off investors? Unless they're losing money on it, which I doubt.

I don't know.

Squire

appeLappe
Jul 16, 2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by jzieske
Sorry but I am REALLY hoping your wrong. No CD/DVD Drive? whats the point? Bigger battery is not a bad idea I guess. Otherwise I am looking at a powerbook so that I can get rid of external equipment not buy more.

A 12" without an optical drive! Hey, why not? Thinking of it, this would be exactly what I need! It would probably catch the 12" target-user even better. Make it possible to easy utilise the optical drive of your stationary Mac, and synchronisation naturally - or even Wintel system to catch switchers! :D You can still use all the software (except silly games that requires a disc for copy protection), connect your equipment - cameras (DV or digital) etc.

The ones that choose the 12" PowerBook are professionals in need of REAL portability.
While on the road, you never really do things that requires CD's that often. You don't install the new OSX on a train.

The only backside for travellers as I see it would be the loss of watching DVD's on the road.

Hmm… I’m awfully near the – dare I say – tablet Mac here. I really don’t believe in one of those, so…

Why is this only “page 2” news? It seems pretty confirmed coming from administrators without a source quote?
:confused:

astray
Jul 16, 2003, 03:43 AM
I'd love to get my hands on a G-money, though a G-percent just doesn't appeal to me. Nor for that matter does a G-ampersand.

All this talk about G-words has got me thinking. Perhaps the new G5 should be marketed under the slogan,

" It's just a G-Thang..The new G5, by Apple"

Playing Nothin' but a G-Thang by Dr. Dre in the background, lots of flash cars bouncing, bling bling, Steve Jobs, in baggy jeans a turtleneck and a handkerchief on his head Tupac style, with an Apple medallion, he moves over to his car, opens the trunk, to reveal the G5.. i think it could work. Apple i know your reading this, so go on make it.

AhmedFaisal
Jul 16, 2003, 05:56 AM
Last time I heard about all this stuff Moto not only announced the 7457 with bigger L2, more L3 support and faster FSB but also a "little brother" the 7447 with 512k L2 but no L3 support. It was supposed to be even less heat producing than th 7457 although a bit less powerful. I was always suspecting that this chip (the 7447) would be the one that Apple would use to bump the iBook to G4 but yet, IBM just announced the Gobi G3 (750GX) so I could be totally off. My guess for this year is actually G4 7457 in iMacs and eMacs and maybe a new headless pizzabox Mac, the 7447 in the Powerbooks and the Gobi G3 at maybe 1.2GHz in the iBook.
Cheers,

Ahmed

JustinDucote
Jul 16, 2003, 06:25 AM
Ahmad and others, I noticed the two links posted from Motorola:

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2687_2175_23,00.html

and

http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC7457&nodeId=01

I will quote the first one:

Scientists from Motorola's DigitalDNA™ Laboratories in Austin, Texas originally developed the low-k process at the 0.13 micron technology node. The process was reverse transferred into a high performance 0.18 micron SOI process for immediate product shipments. Motorola has been shipping products manufactured at the 0.18 micron SOI process since the first quarter 2003 and plans to ship at 0.13 micron later this year.

and now a quote from the second one:

The MPC7457 is manufactured on Motorola's 0.13-micron HiPerMOS silicon-on-insulator (SOI) copper interconnect process technology, enabling it to deliver superior performance over bulk CMOS technology.

Now this may seem piddly to most, but to real nerds it matters: Is the new 7457 going be some kind of hybrid .13u/.18u or is it going to be full-fledged .13u chip ?

And by the way guys. If they DO go to 200mhz FSB, we can forget about seeing chip speeds like:

1.33 ghz, 1.46ghz, etc..

You will see speeds like

1.2, 1.25, 1.3, 1.35, 1.4

because you will have an even numbered fsb (we can all pray for the 200mhz fsb!) along with an even or half-integer chip multiplier (6, 6.5, 7, etc)

Justin

superkatalog
Jul 16, 2003, 06:46 AM
hoho!

the european apple stores are down for maintenance....

FriarTuck
Jul 16, 2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by superkatalog
hoho!

the european apple stores are down for maintenance....

Same here in the USA.

Magus
Jul 16, 2003, 07:04 AM
Maybe this means what we hope it means..

Magus

plutnicki
Jul 16, 2003, 07:05 AM
Well, it can't be coincidence, that the apple store is down being updated right now. So, that would indicate something new is coming.

The question is, what?

Few hours, and we'll know.

...Jim

betoranaldi
Jul 16, 2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by plutnicki
Well, it can't be coincidence, that the apple store is down being updated right now. So, that would indicate something new is coming.

The question is, what?

Few hours, and we'll know.

...Jim

Well at WWDC the apple store went down about 2-3 hours before the keynote and apeard about 1/2 hour after is, this looks like it is not just a coincidence.

Lord Bodak
Jul 16, 2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by appeLappe
A 12" without an optical drive! Hey, why not? Thinking of it, this would be exactly what I need! It would probably catch the 12" target-user even better. Make it possible to easy utilise the optical drive of your stationary Mac, and synchronisation naturally - or even Wintel system to catch switchers! :D You can still use all the software (except silly games that requires a disc for copy protection), connect your equipment - cameras (DV or digital) etc.

The ones that choose the 12" PowerBook are professionals in need of REAL portability.
While on the road, you never really do things that requires CD's that often. You don't install the new OSX on a train.

But the real niche for the 12" is that it is a full-featured ultraportable. Look at the PC laptops with 12" screens-- most have external optical drives, required port replicators for almost all connectors, etc.

The advantage to the 12" PB is that it's small but it still does everything you'd expect a desktop to do, without carrying extra equipment.

beloit08
Jul 16, 2003, 07:22 AM
Sooo much can happen while I'm trapped in the car on the way to work. I leave my house with nothing and arrive to find the Apple store closed for updates.

I'm not a rabid mac fan. I do own macs, but I don't have a little shrine to Steve Jobs in the back of my closet. AND, I don't plan on buying a new computer any time soon. (because I'm poor :( )

But even I believe that Apple absolutely must release a 15" ALBook. If they don't, they're simply shooting themselves in the foot. I mean, if they were to release them today, I think people would some just to hold them. That's how much pent-up demand there is for these things.

Sorry this is kind of rambly...I'm just very, very excited about the prospects of something new.

NNO-Stephen
Jul 16, 2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by JustinDucote
Ahmad and others, I noticed the two links posted from Motorola:

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2687_2175_23,00.html

and

I will quote the first one:
Now this may seem piddly to most, but to real nerds it matters: Is the new 7457 going be some kind of hybrid .13u/.18u or is it going to be full-fledged .13u chip ?

And by the way guys. If they DO go to 200mhz FSB, we can forget about seeing chip speeds like:

1.33 ghz, 1.46ghz, etc..

You will see speeds like

1.2, 1.25, 1.3, 1.35, 1.4

because you will have an even numbered fsb (we can all pray for the 200mhz fsb!) along with an even or half-integer chip multiplier (6, 6.5, 7, etc)

no, the 13 micron chip is the one in PowerMacs and you're right, except it will max out at 1.3Ghz currently. and a 200Mhz frontside bus may not seem like much,b ut it's a huge increase over what any G4s have now... hell, the 12" uses a 100Mhz FSB and doesn't even have L3 Cache... and the person erlier who was saying the 12" was a stopgap between the iBook and PowerBook... you're right. it may not seem like it in the specs, but in performance this is so true. it gets just as good performance in non-altivec apps (read: most apps) as the G3, but the G3 gets a bit more power out of each Mhz... so in some cases, the top end iBook is faster. Apple needs to move it up to a 1Ghz as soon as possible and get some damn L3 Cache in there. well, anyway... nice to see the apple store down... UPDATES SOON!!! :D

SeedlessX
Jul 16, 2003, 07:39 AM
as of 8:35 EST, the US apple store is back online, with no changes...

bennetsaysargh
Jul 16, 2003, 07:40 AM
the apple store in the US is back up with no changes that i can tell. they're messing with us:p

plutnicki
Jul 16, 2003, 07:42 AM
*sigh*

Just noticed that myself. Actually, instead of the g5 headlining, they are advertising a new deal for Final Cut Pro.

Hardly seems worth getting us all excited about taking the store down for.

Not even any prices changes worth noticing.

Oh well. Guess I'll still wait for Joz's speech.

...Jim

beloit08
Jul 16, 2003, 07:43 AM
Apple store back up.

no (really good) updates = weak

NNO-Stephen
Jul 16, 2003, 07:47 AM
the apple store in the US is back up with no changes that i can tell. they're messing with us:p

very mean.. they are messing with us!!!! new 15 inch AlBook dammit!!!!!!!!!

:o

bennetsaysargh
Jul 16, 2003, 07:50 AM
i think that after the keynote they'll update it, as usual, and tbere won't be a leak;)

MetallicPenguin
Jul 16, 2003, 07:54 AM
What time is the keynote/presentation? Sorry don't really have time to look I'm at a friends house.

NNO-Stephen
Jul 16, 2003, 08:09 AM
What time is the keynote/presentation? Sorry don't really have time to look I'm at a friends house.

keynote is at 9:30 - 10:30 AM EDT.

kmac51
Jul 16, 2003, 08:40 AM
anyone know where to get info instead of appmatters? it isn't working very well.

kmac

Squire
Jul 16, 2003, 08:42 AM
I guess the changes to the Apple site were for the release of Soundtrack.

Squire

wilco
Jul 16, 2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by visor
New PB's will all have :
double G5
8 Fans
Oled Screens
2gig ram
they will only weight 10,5Kg
and be powered by small diesel generators.

Good one!:rolleyes:

NNO-Stephen
Jul 16, 2003, 10:50 AM
well, looks like we play the waiting game again... September 16th is the next likely candidate for updates... btw, when is the next apple show after that?

maybe the iBook will get bumped to the 7457 and the PowerBook will get slower G5s... like 1Ghz... would reduce heat and power usage... although it already uses less power than current G4s... :D

again, I'm probably overly optimistic...but it IS the year of the notebook :D

Huskerflute
Jul 16, 2003, 11:03 AM
There is something you have all forgotten here. Don't you think it would be just like Steve to do a product announcement with a full-screen, (and I do mean full-screen on the big screen) iChat Video Chat to New York? Why not? Steve pulls the camera out and you see he is talking on his iSight through his new dual-processor, 15.4" AlBook.

Just a thought guys.

Regards,
Gus

AppMan
Jul 16, 2003, 11:05 AM
- Yao Ming/Mini Me standee

Just a reminder that the Yao Ming and Mini Me standee will EXPIRE on
7/15/03. We will need ALL standees pulled down on that date or we will risk
rights violations!

jxyama
Jul 16, 2003, 12:25 PM
Kodawarisan (http://www.kowarisan.com/ug) gives a little more plausible (especially in light of the non-announcement at the creative expo) explanation that apple had to pull the 12/17 PB ads from the stores due to the fact the contract with yao ming expired...

[ed]
sorry about the duplicate post. i somehow managed to completely overlook appman's post...
[\ed]

NNO-Stephen
Jul 16, 2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Huskerflute
There is something you have all forgotten here. Don't you think it would be just like Steve to do a product announcement with a full-screen, (and I do mean full-screen on the big screen) iChat Video Chat to New York? Why not? Steve pulls the camera out and you see he is talking on his iSight through his new dual-processor, 15.4" AlBook.

Just a thought guys.

Regards,
Gus

no, I dont think he'd do that... and we aren't gonna see dual processor PowerBooks.

crees!
Jul 16, 2003, 02:50 PM
Is it just me or is the entire Apple (US) site down along with all the homepages too? It's now 3:45pm EST and it's been like this since I checked it 15 minutes ago.

MetallicPenguin
Jul 16, 2003, 03:16 PM
Yeah I couldn't get to here, or the Apple website for a couple minutes.

jzieske
Jul 16, 2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by crees!
Is it just me or is the entire Apple (US) site down along with all the homepages too? It's now 3:45pm EST and it's been like this since I checked it 15 minutes ago.

They appeear to be up and running fine as of 5:15 pm CDT.

rariasjr
Jul 18, 2003, 06:47 PM
I'm getting impatient. How long do I have to wait for my new 15"
Do I have to wait for Seybold SF?

crees!
Jul 18, 2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by rariasjr
I'm getting impatient. How long do I have to wait for my new 15"
Do I have to wait for Seybold SF?

My thought is this. The current 15" PB is the ONLY PB able to boot in OS9. I think that Apple is going to release the new 15" PB around when Panther will be released, and then it will NOT be OS9 bootable (Are all the iBooks able to boot in OS9 now? Do you think they'll stay OS9 bootable while the PB's use Classic?)

Just a thought and I as well am a switcher in waiting.

elemenopy
Jul 18, 2003, 07:18 PM
As I understand it, last week Apple stopped allowing resellers to order the 15" Titanium PowerBook as demo models. This happens whenever Apple is about to roll out a replacement to an older model...

:cool:

jzieske
Jul 19, 2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by elemenopy
As I understand it, last week Apple stopped allowing resellers to order the 15" Titanium PowerBook as demo models. This happens whenever Apple is about to roll out a replacement to an older model...

:cool:

Out of curiosity do you know where you heard that, I had not heard of this but if that is case this is prob could news of a release within a week or two.

kmac51
Jul 21, 2003, 08:02 AM
I'm like the other guy, where is my new powerbook? There has got to be so much pent-up demand that Apple would not be able to satisfy all orders in the beginning, or it would take awhile to get them again (like the original Ti pbook). This is crazy! Where is the my new powerbook?????

Kmac

PS Just realized something, pent-up is almost pent ium, any similarities?:confused:

ethernet76
Jul 21, 2003, 10:05 AM
I decided I'm just going to get a 17" and deal with it being too large.

yzedf
Jul 21, 2003, 12:03 PM
Well, I just checked the apple online store, and the 15.2" superdrive with 1GB RAM and a airport card is shipping 1-3 days. If there is a update soon, they are still being a bit sneaky about it.

Come on, back to school sale baby!!! :D

kmac51
Jul 21, 2003, 01:12 PM
i gave up and ordered my 1 ghz system. it is 2 1/2 times faster than my old and will do a fine job. now, i can't wait for it to get here.

kmac

cb911
Jul 23, 2003, 08:30 PM
i just went to my local Apple re-seller the other day and they didn't have any 15" in stock. even the display model was being rented out. they guy there also said that the 15 is the most popular at the moment, backed up by the fact that they were completely out of stock i guess that the 15" is still selling well. no wonder Apple is in no hurry to release a new one.

i should've asked if they knew when they were getting any more 15"s in...