Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you are having or had activation problems, which of the following applies?

• New AT&T customer

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • Existing AT&T customer with just a voice plan

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Existing AT&T customer with other features (ie. SMS messages, data plan, media package, etc)

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters

ShellyFM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
I know there is a thread on activation issues but I was hoping to do a poll to see what the similarities are with the problems. We just got off the phone with AT&T and after a lot of arguing the most info we could get was that there was a feature on the plan that was causing problems and that's why it was taking longer.

The plan is an older Cingular plan. It has 400+400 voice minutes for $39.99, 500 mobile to mobile minutes for $4.99, and Media Basic Package for $7.99. Our guess is that they are having trouble with the Media package removal, but that's just a guess.

So, for those people who are having trouble or had trouble, please answer the poll.

Lazernet

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Fairfield, NJ
I know there is a thread on activation issues but I was hoping to do a poll to see what the similarities are with the problems. We just got off the phone with AT&T and after a lot of arguing the most info we could get was that there was a feature on the plan that was causing problems and that's why it was taking longer.

The plan is an older Cingular plan. It has 400+400 voice minutes for $39.99, 500 mobile to mobile minutes for $4.99, and Media Basic Package for $7.99. Our guess is that they are having trouble with the Media package removal, but that's just a guess.

So, for those people who are having trouble or had trouble, please answer the poll.

Ok, in order for this to be useful, please add other possible causes....

More could already be - did you add the 1500 SMS messages option?
Are you an individual plan or family plan (and with/without extra SMS)

Etc...

- Eric

ShellyFM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
Ok, in order for this to be useful, please add other possible causes....

More could already be - did you add the 1500 SMS messages option?
Are you an individual plan or family plan (and with/without extra SMS)

Etc...

- Eric

Is it possible to start another poll in the same thread?

robhedin

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006

This is very similar to our plan-- old and loaded with "different" stuff; I'm talking to a rep at the moment who, upon reviewing things, made a comment about this not working with the iPhone plan(s); he's in the process of "correcting" our plan (to current). Maybe it will have some positive effect.

ShellyFM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
This is very similar to our plan-- old and loaded with "different" stuff; I'm talking to a rep at the moment who, upon reviewing things, made a comment about this not working with the iPhone plan(s); he's in the process of "correcting" our plan (to current). Maybe it will have some positive effect.

So, are you changing your plan entirely? We don't want to change our plan because it's a better value than the newer ones.

AtariAge

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2006
Another problem, not reflected in your poll, is having an old, "blue system" conversion account. These are old AT&T Wireless accounts that were converted to Cingular a long time ago. I have been told by multiple people that if you have one of these legacy accounts, the automatic activation will not work. I have had to make multiple calls to get that straightened out, and my phone STILL is not activated. What a debacle.

..Al

ShellyFM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
Another problem, not reflected in your poll, is having an old, "blue system" conversion account. These are old AT&T Wireless accounts that were converted to Cingular a long time ago. I have been told by multiple people that if you have one of these legacy accounts, the automatic activation will not work. I have had to make multiple calls to get that straightened out, and my phone STILL is not activated. What a debacle.

..Al

Please, please let me know if you get your phone activated with keeping the blue plan. My father has the same situation. He has the old unlimited plan for $99/mo. He was interested in getting the iPhone but was worried he wouldn't be able to use it with his plan. So.....please keep us updated. :)

Zolk

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006

..Al

I had a "blue system". An AT&T rep was able to change my plan to an iPhone plan and also asked for my SIM and IMEI number. According to their systems, everything should be fine now but the phone is still not activated and iTunes is stuck on "Your activation required additional time to complete."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.