PDA

View Full Version : Apple Computer Inc.'s costly strategy of opening its own re...

MacBytes
Jul 15, 2003, 11:26 AM
Category: Apple Services
Link: Apple Computer Inc.'s costly strategy of opening its own retail stores has some analysts wondering if the move will prove profitable. (http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/030715/tech_1.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

MacFan25
Jul 15, 2003, 03:43 PM
It says in the article that Apple plans not to open more than 100 stores. I wonder if they'll stick to that or open more stores.

Pancake
Jul 15, 2003, 06:15 PM
They said 100 stores in the US, which doesn't sound like too much, but I don't know much about the retail industry. THey could definately more than 100 world-wide.

themadchemist
Jul 15, 2003, 07:25 PM
I certainly have been wary of this for quite a while...I hope that the Apple Stores do not go the way of the Cow...ahem...Gateway stores.

Too many Apple Stores is definitely a bad idea. They will succeed as speciality stores, not as everyday kinda "oh, there's an Apple Store" stores. That's where Gateway failed: Opening too many too fast. Apple has been pretty steady and smart in their selections, thus far. But 100 stores DOES sound like a lot to me, and I worry that we will start seeing Apple Stores in podunk, which takes away from their inherent magical quality.

Apple Stores should be the beacons of shining computational light that rise above the bourgeouis din that surrounds us, beckoning to Mac users everywhere to come and be replenished. Mini-Cupertinos they should be, with the mystical qualities at hand that were installed forever in the hallowed halls at 1 Infinity Loop.

...Right? :D

Sayhey
Jul 15, 2003, 09:07 PM
uh ... right.

I think the article is right about the risk, but if Apple is not going to accept gradual elimination, then it is the only strategy that makes sense. It is obvious that the folks over at that "magical place" in Cupertino can't rely on others to set the marketing tone at retail outlets. If Apple's success depends on the sales clerks at Circut City, CompUSA, Best Buy or any of the rest of these stores then it is over. Maybe not now, but soon. Their own stores create a buzz that it is cool to own Apple products and provide a great atmosphere to convince people that is safe to invest their hard earned dollars in a Mac. I'm just crossing my fingers that it works.

Jerry Spoon
Jul 16, 2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by themadchemist
But 100 stores DOES sound like a lot to me, and I worry that we will start seeing Apple Stores in podunk, which takes away from their inherent magical quality.
When I see an Apple store in Peoria, IL, I'll know Apple has gone too far:D