PDA

View Full Version : Seriously

WifeOfBillGates
Jul 15, 2003, 01:22 PM
Okay looking at the Powerbook 15" here, It comes with a standard 867mhz G4, now in comparison to a P4 how does that compare, I know Macís handle there memory better, but how will that compare to a P4 M 2.2Ghz?

And would the Airport wireless, work with a standard PC Wan wireless router. Iím guessing it will, but wireless Broadband is important to me. Actually Iíve noticed that you canít buy the modem by itself. Also would this work with a standard Cable Modem, also has the Mac got the facility to connection share?

Also Iíve noticed the memory is SDRAM instead of DDRRAM, will this decrease its performance?

Right basically Iíve come up with what I think I would need, this includes the Aiport Extreme base station with modem.

Processor: 867 MHz G4
Memory: 512mb SDRAM
Hard drive: 60GB
Bluetooth

This comes to a grand total of £2009.31, and Iím thinking ****!

Now for a laptop, the Dell Inspiron 8500, okay 15.4Ē so screen size is similar. 2.2 GHz standard. Here are the specsÖ

Processor: 2.2GHz P4
Memory: 512mb DDRRAM
Graphics Card: 64mb Geforce4 go 440
Bluetooth

And again all the wireless stuff, this also comes with a FREE bag and printer, not to bothered about that but heh.

GRAND TOTAL : £1643.16

So seemingly a much, much more powerful machine, but please put it down as much as you like, I want to see where my money should go, at the moment itís on Dell.

patrick0brien
Jul 15, 2003, 01:49 PM
Okay looking at the Powerbook 15" here, It comes with a standard 867mhz G4, now in comparison to a P4 how does that compare, I know Macís handle there memory better, but how will that compare to a P4 M 2.2Ghz?
Not incredibly well when it comes to speed. This is an older machine from a year ago. I hope this is a refurb. But the Dell will haystack over time, so eventually, the TiBook will become the faster of the two.

And would the Airport wireless, work with a standard PC Wan wireless router.
Yes. 802.11b and 802.11g - though the TiBook15 only has 802.11b as a built in option - again, it's an older machine.

Iíve noticed that you canít buy the modem by itself.
Can you clarify? Do you mean cable modem? Or the internal modem for the Mac? If it is the latter, no. Macs come pretty much all-inclusive, ergo the higher sticker price, and the subsequent longevity.

Also would this work with a standard Cable Modem,...
Absolutely. DHCP is DHCP.

also has the Mac got the facility to connection share?
Yes and you could even turn the Mac into a wireless base station or bridge.

Also Iíve noticed the memory is SDRAM instead of DDRRAM, will this decrease its performance?
Good eye. Well, not decrease it per se, but not as efficient as DDR. Wait for the new 15" due very soon.

Right basically Iíve come up with what I think I would need, this includes the Aiport Extreme base station with modem.
I thought you were going to get another wireless router? Not that it matters, I'm just trying to get the story straight.

If you are wondering though if PC's with either 802.11b or 'g' cards would work with the Apple station - yes. The reverse is true as well.

Processor: 867 MHz G4
Memory: 512mb SDRAM
Bluetooth

This comes to a grand total of £2009.31, and Iím thinking ****!
Me too! Also that blutooth isn't built in on the 15's yet. Again, wait if you can. Sounds like a bad deal. Where are you seeing this?

Now for a laptop, the Dell Inspiron 8500, okay 15.4Ē so screen size is similar. 2.2 GHz standard. Here are the specsÖ

Processor: 2.2GHz P4
Memory: 512mb DDRRAM
Graphics Card: 64mb Geforce4 go 440
Bluetooth

And again all the wireless stuff, this also comes with a FREE bag and printer, not to bothered about that but heh.

GRAND TOTAL : £1643.16
Don't forget that the Mac is widescreen.

So seemingly a much, much more powerful machine, but please put it down as much as you like, I want to see where my money should go, at the moment itís on Dell.
Mine too, the Dell's a current machine, the TiBook, as venerable as it is, is a 2.5 year old design. If you have a little while, I'd wait for the new 15" Powerbook so that you can compare current machines.

WifeOfBillGates
Jul 15, 2003, 01:55 PM
I got that from the apple site, what would be the newer machine? Whens it being released?

patrick0brien
Jul 15, 2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by WifeOfBillGates
I got that from the apple site, what would be the newer machine? Whens it being released?

-WifeOfBillGates

Ah, the question on so many lips these days. The best anyone has been able to say is any day now. However, it is expected to be on par with the 12 and 17 with features. Among such features that would bring the 15 up to date would be built-in Bluetooth, AirPort Extreme (802.11g), DDR RAM and perhaps a 1.2ghz G4. Also would be an aluminum skin and structure - titanium was nifty, but made for terrible wireless reception and it was painted - and that paint could chip. The aluminum is 'naked', just anodized, and tough as hell.

Currently I'm showing the machine you spec'ed 867mhz @ $1,999 USD not pounds. The 1ghz @ 2,599.

The reso I fely this could be last years is that you stated the price at over 2000 pounds - that's a lot.

But again, old case, no bluetooth, and not DDR RAM

If you are keen on a 15.4" widescreen from Apple, I'd recommend you wait. They're long overdue.

Flowbee
Jul 15, 2003, 02:39 PM

So many trolling threads have started this way. BlackICE tries the subtle approach to trolling.

patrick0brien
Jul 15, 2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Flowbee
So many trolling threads have started this way. BlackICE tries the subtle approach to trolling.

-Flowbee

I agree, and even if WifeOfBillGates is the former BlackICE, I'd like to give this thread a decent shot as this was a legit question. I sincerely hope this is the case.

jstef
Jul 15, 2003, 03:53 PM
While it's obvious he's trolling, the man does bring up a valid point. I've been considering a PC laptop because of the better specs, but I decided on the Apple anyway.

I just want the best machine for the money. If the better machine is an Apple, then it's the Apple. If it's a Dell, then "Dude...", well you know how that goes.

WifeOfBillGates
Jul 15, 2003, 06:05 PM
Iím not trolling, just trying to sum up the advantages and disadvantages. I believe the Powerbook is smaller than the Inspiron, which is a major advantage.

patrick0brien
Jul 15, 2003, 09:09 PM
Iím not trolling, just trying to sum up the advantages and disadvantages. I believe the Powerbook is smaller than the Inspiron, which is a major advantage.

-WifeOfBillGates

Well, if it's small you are interested, you can't get any smaller than a 12" PowerBook if you wish full features - you can even get a DVD-RW for it. I own one myself - and an external 60GB HD (another story - portability) for video editing and Electric Image renders.

Honestly, PowerBooks are good values. They are solid machines that come with pretty much everything you need in one single package. And if you are concered about connectivity with the windows world, you can. Apple figgured out that being proprietary wasn't such a good idea, and therefore released OS X in 2000.

I own a mixed network and have no issues with LAN connectivity or VNC connectivity.

King Cobra
Jul 15, 2003, 09:16 PM
Mrs. Gates:

I don't think even your fingernails can scratch that aluminum Powerbook. That thing will not scratch easily.

I haven't seen one in person (the nearest Apple Store from where I live now is 4 hours away :(), but their keyboards glow perfectly in the dark. In lightned environments, that keyboard looks perfect.

Now, vs. the P4 portable:
The 12 inch Aluminum Powerbook is the world's smallest, affordable portable supercomputer.

As for the trolling thughts people have in mind...old timers (such as myself) can remember back to the days of the famous gocyrus :eek: