Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smileyman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I must say that I am quite frustrated, yet optimistic. This may be the only place I have seen where people post in Mac Forums and actually get a response.

I need help on what (in my mind) should be a really easy task for Tiger. I would like to figure out how to run a simple "save as" application for several different file types. For instance, saving Pages files as DOC files, or saving email files as "Raw Messages" for archiving purposes, or saving JPG files as PDFs or PNG files, etc. I have tried for several hours to make "Automator" perform these functions but came across online discussions about the versatility of AppleScript. I am not familiar with that programming language.

Am I on the right path? Is there someone that can help with this?

Having never programmed with AppleScript, I can't really say this for sure but it seems, from what I know about AppleScript, that it may be a little too high level for that kind conversion. If you're taking say a .doc file, which is encoded in format, and trying to save it as something else like a .pdf flie, then you would need something that implements an algorithm that is capable of reading the .doc format and then writing the .pdf format.

So, if you can get Automator to run a program that will read the .doc file and then tell that program to write it as a .pdf, you should be fine. But I'm not sure that there is a pure AppleScript way of doing this. What does the documentation say?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.