PDA

View Full Version : Best Bluetooth Earpiece for iPhone-Is Jawbone good?

markw10
Jun 30, 2007, 07:29 PM
I purchased a 8GB iPhone last night at a Apple Store. I asked for the Apple Bluetooth Headset and they didn't have it in yet. They mentioned Jabra is good but said that the best one is the Jawbone. They said Apple stores got them in specifically for the iPhone. It's $119 so the price isn't bad compared to the Apple earpiece. I like Apple products and really wanted to get the Apple earpiece and am willing to wait but they told me this is actually better than Apple's because it has noise cancellation built in.
I'm interested in any advice of which headset to use and if anyone has used this one. Thanks for any help.

Bryanw3535
Jun 30, 2007, 08:18 PM
Got an 8GB iPhone today and a black Bluetooth Jawbone.

In a word, it's great. It's very comfortable and comes with several configurations for different ear types. As far as the sound quality, it's amazing. You can turn on the Noise Shield feature and have the person on the other line notice the difference right away. Driving on the highway with the windows down and the radio up loud I activated it and the other caller had no idea that the radio was even on. I had to turn up the volume on the Jawbone to hear her over the radio!

Get a Jawbone. You won't be disappointed.

Jsingh
Jun 30, 2007, 08:46 PM

In a word, it's great. It's very comfortable and comes with several configurations for different ear types. As far as the sound quality, it's amazing. You can turn on the Noise Shield feature and have the person on the other line notice the difference right away. Driving on the highway with the windows down and the radio up loud I activated it and the other caller had no idea that the radio was even on. I had to turn up the volume on the Jawbone to hear her over the radio!

I definitely agree, the noise shield is great. I've had it paired with my iPhone with no problems at all and the voice quality is great.

macaddiict
Jun 30, 2007, 11:42 PM
If it were me, I'd wait for the Apple bluetooth headset... it will be out in July.

I'm sure there are plenty of headsets to choose from that will have equal or better quality, but in the past my biggest hurdle with bluetooth headsets was remembering to keep them charged! It looks like Apple will solve that problem with an included dock and portable cable that includes a charging station...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MA817LL/A

However, it is yet to be seen how the Apple headset will compare in voice quality, comfort of wearing it, etc. I'm gonna wait it out, though.

kenrobin
Jul 1, 2007, 12:14 AM

I also agree. I considered waiting for Apple's headset but then I thought about the quality of the Apple earbuds. They are adequate but not special. I have a feeling that the Apple headset might be the same. The Jawbone has received excellent reviews... you won't be disappointed.

mashinhead
Jul 1, 2007, 09:23 AM
Im in the same boat the size of apples bt headset with the extra dock is very appealing I want to know if you have to turn the noise shield on evrrytime or if can be left on for all calls. I mean that is the selling point why do you have to turn it on at all? And how's the battery

woodbutcher
Jul 1, 2007, 10:03 AM
I had the jawbone for use with my treo, I have never had a bluetooth headset that sounded so clear. I am in construction and my voice can be heard over all the running equipment. It works just as well with the iphone. My advice would be to buy one somewhere with a liberal return policy, try it out, and if you do not like it, return it.

Bryanw3535
Jul 1, 2007, 11:05 AM
Im in the same boat the size of apples bt headset with the extra dock is very appealing I want to know if you have to turn the noise shield on evrrytime or if can be left on for all calls. I mean that is the selling point why do you have to turn it on at all? And how's the battery

I haven't had time to test the battery fully, but it says more than five hours of talk time, which is nice. The Noise Shield is on by default every time you turn the headset on. You can/could turn it off if, for example, you wanted the person on the other end to hear the song that's playing on your radio.

I'm sure the Apple one will be great, but I wouldn't get one based solely on the fact that it comes with a fancy dock. You'll never use it in the dock, will you?

mashinhead
Jul 1, 2007, 11:19 AM
I haven't had time to test the battery fully, but it says more than five hours of talk time, which is nice. The Noise Shield is on by default every time you turn the headset on. You can/could turn it off if, for example, you wanted the person on the other end to hear the song that's playing on your radio.

I'm sure the Apple one will be great, but I wouldn't get one based solely on the fact that it comes with a fancy dock. You'll never use it in the dock, will you?

well the size is the selling point for me plus like i said it comes with an extra dock and a travel charger, which is just less stuff to carry around when i travel, and i can put one dock in the office and one in the bedroom for the phone, so i would use it. But if it sounds bad... then i don't know if it's worth getting it for that. i kinda wish it was out now or at least reviews were so i can get an idea of it against a jawbone. but i might just go for the jawbone, haven't heard a bad word about it. The noise sheild is very appealing.

Basically if apple took noise reduction into consideration in theirs i'd buy it, but if not. then i'm going jawbone.

EDIT one more question, can you answer the call by pressing a button on the jawbone or do you have to answer it on the phone?

itsallinurhead
Jul 1, 2007, 12:34 PM
The Jawbowne is amazing.

Bryanw3535
Jul 1, 2007, 03:00 PM
EDIT one more question, can you answer the call by pressing a button on the jawbone or do you have to answer it on the phone?

There are two buttons on the Jawbone.

Button one: Answers calls and hangs up calls if you press it once. Turns the Jawbone off and on if you hold it for three seconds.

Button two: Toggles through the volumes if you press it once (there are four different pre-set volumes. I find this works better than a volume rocker). It deactivates/activates the Noise Shield if you hold it for three seconds.

Hope that helps!

r6girl
Jul 1, 2007, 03:25 PM
another vote for the jawbone here. i used it with my treo 680 as well. i will say that my calls aren't as clear on the iphone as on the treo with the jawbone (they were always *crystal* clear with the treo) since i get a little crackling with the iphone. if i didn't have such clarity with the treo, i would never think this is out of the ordinary with the iphone...

aristobrat
Jul 1, 2007, 03:51 PM
The Jawbowne is amazing.
x2. I love mine!

Outsiderdude26
Jul 1, 2007, 06:20 PM
Another vote for the Jawbone. Crystal clear talks even on the road with the windows down.

The best ear piece out there.

mashinhead
Jul 1, 2007, 07:13 PM
well you guys sold me I'm going to pick on up tomorrow. I want the silver one but the apple store I was at only had red and black so I'm assuming all apple stores have that unless someone can confirm otherwise

fastdrive
Jul 1, 2007, 07:30 PM
Why not order online. I think you can find it a little cheaper some places.

When I had gotten mine a few months ago I think I spend something like $89.

sunday888
Jul 1, 2007, 10:53 PM
I've had a Jawbone for a couple of months. It really is superb. By far the best bluetooth handsfree unit I've used. The noise reduction is amazing. Apart from windnoise, which it doesn't do a great job eliminating, the person on the other end will pretty much only hear your voice.

Mine paired first time with the iPhone and I've been using it all weekend with no issues.

uNext
Jul 1, 2007, 11:14 PM
the jawbone i hear is great but personally it looks ugly as ****.

eddietr
Jul 1, 2007, 11:18 PM
This is a real tough decision for me. Sounds like the jawbone is of great sound quality.

But I have to say I really like the way the Apple one looks better. And now that I've just gotten rid of the need to carry my iPod and it's charger on short trips, I don't want to add another charger back into the mix.

I guess we'll see what the Apple sound quality is like. I doubt it will be as good as the jawbone, with the technology that they've developed.

BigPrince
Jul 1, 2007, 11:21 PM
a Link to the jawbone?

eddietr
Jul 1, 2007, 11:24 PM
a Link to the jawbone?

I'm reading it right now, in fact:

http://www.jawbone.com/

brasscat
Jul 1, 2007, 11:27 PM
I'm waiting for Apple's, since it comes with a dual doc. One doc for both the iPhone and the headset means less cable mess. I just hope the thing stays in my ear... Anyway I've ordered Apple's bluetooth headset and I'll hopefully get it within a month.

loudestnoise
Jul 2, 2007, 01:12 AM
Can I throw in another I love my Jawbone vote. Because I just did.

dexn8r
Jul 2, 2007, 02:30 AM
Yes the jawbone works great. I don't have one but a co-worker does and yes it really helps cut down background noise like fans, etc., Although I want all Apple products with the iPhone - instead I'll be going for the jawbone because I know it works better than any other I've had or heard.

rwdebes
Jul 2, 2007, 03:33 AM
wow looks like the jawbone is good, its looks a litle weird , i dont know why..
but im waiting the apple headset , looks MUCH more smaller and clean.. its just a small black piece of design , jawbone is huge..

btw anyone know when the apple headset will hit stores ???
i dont want to wait 2-4 weeks from apple.com

rwdebes
Jul 2, 2007, 03:40 AM
Yes the jawbone works great. I don't have one but a co-worker does and yes it really helps cut down background noise like fans, etc., Although I want all Apple products with the iPhone - instead I'll be going for the jawbone because I know it works better than any other I've had or heard.

how can u know if the apple one isnt out yet ?

rwdebes
Jul 2, 2007, 04:24 AM
after reading some reviews about jawbone headset, looks like the noise cancelation is amazing.. my biggest concern: its confortable ? i dont like the ear loop, can i take it out and use without it ? how u charge it ?

thanks.

woodbutcher
Jul 2, 2007, 08:59 AM
Charging is done with a nice cable that clips over the end of the jawbone, and hooks to a USB port, or to a black power brick, I have charged mine with the apple power brick and it works just fine. you can take the ear loop off, but if the jawbone is not in full contact with your cheek it will not work near as well, or at all.

rwdebes
Jul 2, 2007, 10:57 AM
Charging is done with a nice cable that clips over the end of the jawbone, and hooks to a USB port, or to a black power brick, I have charged mine with the apple power brick and it works just fine. you can take the ear loop off, but if the jawbone is not in full contact with your cheek it will not work near as well, or at all.

so its comfortable ??

ddarko
Jul 2, 2007, 11:32 AM
Is it just me because this is my first headphone but are the buttons really hard to push on the Jawbone? You REALLY have to push down hard on the talk button to get it to activate. At first, I thought it was broken because I'd push down and even hear a soft click but nothing would happen; no lights flashed or beep sounded. In fact, I took my first Jawbone back to the Apple store because I thought it was DOA. The guy exchanging it for me figured out I wasn't pushing down hard enough.

Data
Jul 2, 2007, 11:41 AM
I sure hope the Apple bt set will be great , but i seriously have my doubts about it being able to stay in ear , it's just so small.
Can't wait to read reviews about them .

rwdebes
Jul 2, 2007, 11:47 AM
now i want the jawbone, but i dont kow if the apple will be better...

opinions please !!!

aristobrat
Jul 2, 2007, 12:00 PM
now i want the jawbone, but i dont kow if the apple will be better...

opinions please !!!
Nobody can give you an opinion because nobody's ever used the Apple headset yet.

rwdebes
Jul 2, 2007, 12:01 PM
Nobody can give you an opinion because nobody's ever used the Apple headset yet.

i know that.. i want opinions related to the jawbone.. and if should wait or go ahead and get this one..

aristobrat
Jul 2, 2007, 12:14 PM
i know that.. i want opinions related to the jawbone..
Well, to prevent you from having to page up and read the replies above yours, here's a recap of Jawbone opinions from earlier in this thread. :D

If you're not dying to have a BT headset now, wait for Apple's to come out. If you have to pick on that's ready to buy today, the Jawbone seems to be very much liked.

In a word, it's great. It's very comfortable and comes with several configurations for different ear types. As far as the sound quality, it's amazing.

I definitely agree, the noise shield is great. I've had it paired with my iPhone with no problems at all and the voice quality is great.

The Jawbone has received excellent reviews... you won't be disappointed.

I had the jawbone for use with my treo, I have never had a bluetooth headset that sounded so clear. I am in construction and my voice can be heard over all the running equipment. It works just as well with the iphone.

The Jawbowne is amazing.

another vote for the jawbone here.

x2. I love mine!

Another vote for the Jawbone. Crystal clear talks even on the road with the windows down.

The best ear piece out there.

I've had a Jawbone for a couple of months. It really is superb. By far the best bluetooth handsfree unit I've used. The noise reduction is amazing.

Can I throw in another I love my Jawbone vote. Because I just did.

Yes the jawbone works great.

754T
Jul 2, 2007, 02:09 PM
How well do you think it will work with a convertible? I drive with my top down 90% of the time, but I'll roll up the windows to talk on the phone. I've tried all kinds of Motorola Bluetooth heatsets but they are not loud enough, so I've been using the wired ones for over a year. Do you think the Jawbone is powerful enough to use in a convertible?

aristobrat
Jul 2, 2007, 02:46 PM
I use it in my Jeep with the top down and it works fine for me. I have no problems hearing or being heard...

Lenow
Jul 2, 2007, 08:42 PM
I have used almost all of the major bluetooth headsets from Motorola, Sony, Jabra, Plantronics and more. (Treo Central where you can buy and return). The Jawbone on my iPHone blows the competition away. It answers immediately with no delay so common to other headsets and is clear as a bell on both ends of the conversation. It is very comfortable and I have forgotten that I was wearing it. I have called from the car, from busy streets, from loud stores and all the time, the caller tells me the sound is great. As a 53 year old man, my hearing has suffered a bit over time and I have no problems with this one. Buy it and don't waste any more time.

ibelite
Jul 2, 2007, 09:58 PM
BE VERY CAREFUL, i tried the jawbone twice and gave up because when you walk outside with wind the jawbone does NOTHING..

"The only thing this phone doesn't seem to be able to do is block out wind noise. At least it didn't do very well with the outside sound test where I was right over my AC unit ;o) Another issue is that this headset does not have up and down volume buttons. The headset has special software that adjusts the "
-http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/aliph_s_jawbone_bluetooth_headset

so in the car and inside its fine, but when its windy, its not worth the 120$...in my own opinion the best headset out there is the logitech mobile freeddom headset but its old and a bit big so your call :0
-http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mobile-Freedom-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B00069IQG0

a-girl
Jul 3, 2007, 05:24 AM
I purchased my new jawbone yesterday i got the red and black one, yes it is very comfortable and yes it does come with many configurations to fit different types of ear's but the thing i noticed with it is it does not completely block out noise as good for me. i am always in the car and always listen to the radio and talk on the phone...(in the passenger seat) so when i bought it i tried it out the window was down i was on the freeway the caller on the other end noticed when i did turn on the noise shield did not hear the wind as loud...but as for the radio my caller could of still hear it? i got some good replies back to it and then again not so good...So i don't know if maybe i should charge it completely because i only did for an hour witch maybe that's the case? i know it takes about 2 hours to fully charge. just want to know some feed back sorry for the long story. Thanks
a-girl,.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 6, 2007, 12:23 PM
I purchased my new jawbone yesterday i got the red and black one, yes it is very comfortable and yes it does come with many configurations to fit different types of ear's <snip>

Wow both colors.... as a guy I am leaning towards the silver or black... but even I have been attracted to the red one. Wish I could justify buying two.... If I get a second headset, I want a stereo headset with telephone capability.

Glad to hear about the ear fit... will be heading down to my local AT&T for the black one. Happy to hear that they have it in stock and allow for a 30 day return without a restocking fee if I truly hate it. Never been happy with most BT headsets so far. Fit has been an issue.

Sort of OT, but does anyone know if the iPhone USB charger will work on the Jawbone? Or will I be forced to carry both ac adapters when traveling?

junebug1
Jul 6, 2007, 12:31 PM
I think that by red and black she meant just the ONE headset that is red on the mouthpiece and black at the top. I personally love the black one because of its shiny finish compared to the matte look of the silver one, but you can get the silver one for 79.99 at online retailers whereas the black one is difficult to find for under 100.

r6girl
Jul 6, 2007, 12:52 PM
Sort of OT, but does anyone know if the iPhone USB charger will work on the Jawbone? Or will I be forced to carry both ac adapters when traveling?

the jawbone has its own proprietary connector, so the iphone charger won't work...

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 6, 2007, 01:17 PM
the jawbone has its own proprietary connector, so the iphone charger won't work...

But in the pics I saw, they had a USB cable that gave me the impression I could use the USB end in a compatible USB port....

r6girl
Jul 6, 2007, 01:23 PM
But in the pics I saw, they had a USB cable that gave me the impression I could use the USB end in a compatible USB port....

you're right - one end has a usb connector so you can charge it through your computer, or through the included AC wall plug that also has a usb connector in it.

maybe i misunderstood what you meant, but it sounded like you wanted to only have to carry one cord to charge your iphone and your jawbone. unless you have a cord that can swap out connectors on one end to fit the iphone *and* the jawbone, with usb on the other end, you're going to have to carry 2 cords.

EDIT: i did misunderstand - you meant using the wall adapter part of the iphone charger with the jawbone. well, you might be able to, but i don't know if the wattage is the same. i wouldn't risk using it and damaging a $100+ headset, but that's me.

coolbreeze
Jul 6, 2007, 02:33 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I hated the Jawbone. Not loud enough, fit uncomfortable, rubber nub must constantly touch your cheek for noise cancellation to work, takes too long to put on, and digitized voice.

I'm personally hoping the Apple headset is a winner, b/c I have never found a headset I liked (settled on the Plantronics 510).

mjs975s
Jul 6, 2007, 03:02 PM
All the reviews I have read said its worthless against wind noise - blocks everything else.

How well do you think it will work with a convertible? I drive with my top down 90% of the time, but I'll roll up the windows to talk on the phone. I've tried all kinds of Motorola Bluetooth heatsets but they are not loud enough, so I've been using the wired ones for over a year. Do you think the Jawbone is powerful enough to use in a convertible?

endlsdremr
Jul 6, 2007, 09:20 PM
Is it really worthless against the wind noise, or is your iPhone still recording the wind noise from the phone itself? Try covering up the bottom of the phone when you talk on the jawbone.

I recently bought a black jawbone. I don't like it. It doesn't fit in my ear (yes, I have tried all the earpieces), and doesn't fit behind my ear (don't like the wire/plastic things).

I heard they were the best bluetooth around. All the hoopla about how the military used them and likes them.. yadda yadda..

Uncomfortable and unreliable, that is what I have found. I am returning mine.

Oh yeah, I also hate the white flashing light on mine that one has to squeeze the crap out of to get to turn off. But that's just me...

Bryanw3535
Jul 6, 2007, 10:52 PM
All the reviews I have read said its worthless against wind noise - blocks everything else.

I actually find that it works well with the wind. It just needs to be touching your cheek/jaw. Hence the name.

For those who don't know, the Jawbone has several sensors in it. There are several on the outside that detect the outside noises and your voice. Then there is one in the little nub that must contact your cheek. The two are basically cross-matched against one another and only the sounds that match the vibrations detected by the nub are allowed through. That's noise cancellation. Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence; just hope that helps some people understand how amazing this thing is.

motorazr
Jul 7, 2007, 12:52 AM
the apple bt headset's size is too tempting for me too let quality rule my purchase! Or I might just stick with one of my other bt headsets...

I like plantronic's stuff (just putting it out there...no idea how it works with the iphone yet)

Sobe
Jul 7, 2007, 06:11 AM
Stupid question time for the Bluetooth newb:

Can you hear music from the iPhone if you have a bluetooth headset on?

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 7, 2007, 12:13 PM
Just got the silever Jawbone, and I must say it is the best BT headset I have tried. Fits well. Sound quality is very good IMO.

Bryanw3535
Jul 7, 2007, 10:08 PM
Can you hear music from the iPhone if you have a bluetooth headset on?

Yes and no.

As some previous posters have pointed out, if you're on a call you can play music and it will come in through the headset. The person on the other line won't be able to hear it, however.

Other than that, the sounds come out through the built-in speaker.

beate
Jul 8, 2007, 05:23 AM
How do you pair the Jawbone. How many steps?
I suspect the noise cancelling is better on the Jawbone.
Really, the only reason I'm waiting for Apple's headset..." Convenient autopairing with iPhone".

I had a couple of Motorola BT headsets and pairing with a Razr was so much of a hassle that I didn't mind the fact that they stopped working after a couple of uses.

endlsdremr
Jul 8, 2007, 09:13 AM
How do you pair the Jawbone. How many steps?
I suspect the noise cancelling is better on the Jawbone.
Really, the only reason I'm waiting for Apple's headset..." Convenient autopairing with iPhone".

I had a couple of Motorola BT headsets and pairing with a Razr was so much of a hassle that I didn't mind the fact that they stopped working after a couple of uses.

I believe mine paired with two steps.. Turn Bluetooth on on the phone and look for devices.. Pretty simple set up. Couldn't see it getting simpler, actually.

beate
Jul 8, 2007, 02:35 PM
I believe mine paired with two steps.. Turn Bluetooth on on the phone and look for devices.. Pretty simple set up. Couldn't see it getting simpler, actually.

Thanks.

akushlan
Jul 8, 2007, 03:27 PM
I think the absolute best BT earpiece is the B&O Earset 2

Noise cancellation nearly as good as Jawbone, with much better sound quality. Also much more comfortable.

mashinhead
Jul 8, 2007, 03:41 PM
Noise cancellation nearly as good as Jawbone, with much better sound quality.

you know this how?

rwdebes
Jul 8, 2007, 03:53 PM
Just got the silever Jawbone, and I must say it is the best BT headset I have tried. Fits well. Sound quality is very good IMO.

i bought and thought the same, and i agree. But its BIG , uncorfatable.
so i returned it.

I think the absolute best BT earpiece is the B&O Earset 2

Noise cancellation nearly as good as Jawbone, with much better sound quality. Also much more comfortable.

a MUCH more expensive.. 350 bucks for a headset ?

please dude wake up.. its very overpriced like anything from B&O.
i would pay 5000 on a speaker from them, but not 350 on a headset.

you proably the kind: if its expensive is good, and its not like that.

akushlan
Jul 8, 2007, 04:00 PM
a MUCH more expensive.. 350 bucks for a headset ?

please dude wake up.. its very overpriced like anything from B&O.
i would pay 5000 on a speaker from them, but not 350 on a headset.

you proably the kind: if its expensive is good, and its not like that.

never said it was worth $350...

but after trying it out for the last few days I think it beats the jawbone

that being said, i'm sticking with my "cheap" jawbone.

rwdebes
Jul 8, 2007, 04:10 PM
never said it was worth $350...

but after trying it out for the last few days I think it beats the jawbone

that being said, i'm sticking with my "cheap" jawbone.

of course beat the jawbone.. for 350U$.

a porsche beats my chevy , but cost 60.000 more.

i know B&O is good.. but 350 is too much , and i dont think worth.

DylanG
Jul 8, 2007, 11:11 PM
Can you put the Jawbone on with one hand and do it quickly enough to answer a call?

I ordered the little Plantronics 665 because it's small and doesn't need a wraparound ear piece. But I'm getting static so it's going back to Amazon. I've had the Jabra 250 for a couple of years and it works well but I want one that I can put in my ear with one hand when a call comes in. I don't like to wear it all the time and I hate to answer the call and then make the person wait while I put my headset on.

borg1of2
Jul 10, 2007, 09:10 AM
I've had a Jawbone for about 4 weeks now. Here are my observations.

1. It does not fit well on my head. I've tried left and right side and small and large ear hooks. I even tried all of the different rubber ear inserts to try and find the best fit. My reference is an older Jabra 250, which fit well, but the external noise made it unusable outside of an isolated environment, plus my dog ate it for lunch.

2. It is not an easy slip on with the way the ear hook and the rubber piece have to fit in and on the ear.

3. Sound quality is excellent. Noise suppression is good, but you don't know if its active or not. Manual states you have to turn it on while on a call, but its not clear if it then remains on, or if you have to enable it with each call. Not played with it enough to make the determination.

4. Synch with phone was simple using my previous Motorola and now my iPhone.

5. When turning on and off the Jawbone it makes distinct noises, which are actually rather loud and not pleasant to here just to turn it on or off. The Jabra was simple tones.

Overall it gets a C for me as the lack of comfort kills the improved sound quality. I don't know what I am going to do, and certainly don't plan on spending $350, so if there are any other suggestions for a comfortable sound improved headset let me know.

gloss
Jul 10, 2007, 01:41 PM
3. Sound quality is excellent. Noise suppression is good, but you don't know if its active or not. Manual states you have to turn it on while on a call, but its not clear if it then remains on, or if you have to enable it with each call. Not played with it enough to make the determination.

It's actually on by default, all the time. You have to turn it off manually, but it will turn on again if you power cycle the headset.

Lenow
Jul 11, 2007, 12:44 PM
I have tried ten or more bluetooth headsets, and the Jawbone beats them all by a long shot. It works seamlessly with the iPHone, syncs fast and easy. One caution: the charger is fragile. If you make a mistake and plug it in the wrong way, you can damage the four forks that plug in. Once you get used to doing it the right way, no problems, but one plug in the wrong way and you have a useless charger.

iPhoneHome
Jul 11, 2007, 03:48 PM
First, let me start off by saying I LOVE MY JAWBONE. Second, to all of the people who said that it wont fit your ears, here is a little help. the outer frame of it is made with a metal, that allows you to bend it so that it will eventually fit your ear perfectly. I was struggling for the first hour, then i did a quick google search and found out about this. Now it fits my ear perfectly and i wouldn't trade it for anything.

9.5/10 ....only because i wish it had the capability to let us buy multiple colors.

loudestnoise
Jul 11, 2007, 04:04 PM
First, let me start off by saying I LOVE MY JAWBONE. Second, to all of the people who said that it wont fit your ears, here is a little help. the outer frame of it is made with a metal, that allows you to bend it so that it will eventually fit your ear perfectly. I was struggling for the first hour, then i did a quick google search and found out about this. Now it fits my ear perfectly and i wouldn't trade it for anything.

9.5/10 ....only because i wish it had the capability to let us buy multiple colors.

Outer frame? Do you mean the ear hooks? or something else. I'm dying to make Jawbone fit better, and stupid Jabra ear gels is not something I want to do.

mashinhead
Jul 11, 2007, 04:30 PM
i just got one i have to say it's pretty akward around the ear. i don't know if i'm going to keep it. i might go the apple route

loudestnoise
Jul 11, 2007, 05:11 PM
I'm gonna look at getting a custom mold made for my Jawbone. This site (http://www.averysound.com/as.cell_phone_earpiece.html) makes them, but you have to create your own molds via a kit they send you, which you then mail back and they ship you the completed product. On top of that some audiologists don't recommend this as you could damage your ears. I'm gonna see about going to an audiologist. Hopefully it's not terribly expensive, as I've already spent $120 getting the headset.

rwdebes
Jul 11, 2007, 08:48 PM
and the apple headset still not in the store...
aiiii steve.. why you being so dumb right now ? launch a phone like iphone with no ringtones access, no apple headset.. :mad::mad::mad:

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 11, 2007, 11:01 PM
and the apple headset still not in the store...
aiiii steve.. why you being so dumb right now ? launch a phone like iphone with no ringtones access, no apple headset.. :mad::mad::mad:

Working in retail I will fault Apple in not having BT solution on launch day, as well as other Apple branded cases and such. But then again it brings us back to the stores for other add-ons.

The biggest mistake IMO is not having an AppleCare program available. Retail 101 shows that the longer you allow people to think, the less they will buy add-on warranty support.

mashinhead
Jul 11, 2007, 11:29 PM
Working in retail I will fault Apple in not having BT solution on launch day, as well as other Apple branded cases and such.

Yea, I agree, i didn't mind so much at first. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but now it's just getting ridiculous that this isn't out yet. They didn't even send some out to get reviewed in the mean time.

iPhoneGuy2007
Jul 12, 2007, 02:11 AM
I've had my jawbone since they were released and wanted to add my feedback. The aesthetics of the Jawbone appeal to me, but I am also pleased to report that function is in-lock-step with form in this case.

Pairing to the iPhone was easy (press the "jawbone" button until the led flashes red and white to force the jawbone into pairing mode). Despite having the unit for some time, I still have some trouble putting it onto my ear -- I can do it with two hands, so it's not a deal-breaker. Once on, it's comfortable enough so that I don't notice it. The rubber clip does a decent job of securing the jawbone to your ear.

I typically turn the unit on before putting it on my ear; turning it on and off is confirmed by a tone. The noise cancellation is on by default; you need to manually override it if you want it off.

Battery life is sufficient for my needs; I charge my iphone every night and my jawbone typically once a week.

I'll keep this mini-review short, but overall, I highly recommend this BT headset. It makes a great pair with the iPhone.

Hope this helps!
CL

MarkW19
Jul 12, 2007, 08:11 AM
Just got a general question on bluetooth headsets (as I've never owned one before!):-

I've been looking at a few: The Jawbone, some cheaper ones, and also the new Apple one. For the Apple one, it says "up to 72 hours standby time", but I won't want it to be on standby all the time (ie. connected to my iPhone and powered on, ready for calls) - I'll want to keep it in my car glovebox until I get in my car, and THEN connect it to my iPhone and put it into standby just while I'm actually in my car (30 mins of every day).

My question is: Do bluetooth headsets generally have a full power-off, so that I could keep the headset turned off and stored in my car for say a week, then pick it up and use it straight away (for the 72 hours of standby time) without it depleting the battery at all while it's "off" and not in use?

Hope this makes sense. Basically what I'm saying is does the "standby" time mean the amount of time between charges, EVEN if it's not used at all (and turned off), and do the li-ion batterys in these things just deplete over time, requiring charging (every <72hours in the case of the Apple one) even when they're not been used at all for days/weeks?

Goldenbear
Jul 13, 2007, 12:04 AM
...My question is: Do bluetooth headsets generally have a full power-off, so that I could keep the headset turned off and stored in my car for say a week, then pick it up and use it straight away (for the 72 hours of standby time) without it depleting the battery at all while it's "off" and not in use?...

Yes, you can turn them off.

However, since they use rechargeable batteries, you need to be aware that rechargeable batteries lose some amount of charge every day, even when not in use. I've been told that the self-discharge rate for Li-ion/polymer isn't too bad (it's pretty bad for Ni-MH). Still, you may have to recharge your headset a bit more often than you may think.

iPhoneHome
Jul 13, 2007, 02:29 PM
Outer frame? Do you mean the ear hooks? or something else. I'm dying to make Jawbone fit better, and stupid Jabra ear gels is not something I want to do.

Yes, The Ear hooks were made like that with the intention of you bending them to make it fit flawlessly. I don't see why people are having such a hard time getting them to fit after the adjustment. Bending the Ear Hook allows you to make it fit snugly around the back of your ear and it ultimately will keep the inner ear piece firmly inside.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 13, 2007, 06:04 PM
I've been looking at a few: The Jawbone, some cheaper ones, and also the new Apple one. For the Apple one, it says "up to 72 hours standby time", but I won't want it to be on standby all the time (ie. connected to my iPhone and powered on, ready for calls) - I'll want to keep it in my car glovebox until I get in my car, and THEN connect it to my iPhone and put it into standby just while I'm actually in my car (30 mins of every day).

Just understand that many batteries today have operating temps they work best in. IMO there is no electronic device that I would leave in the glove box...

212rikanmofo
Jul 15, 2007, 08:06 PM
jawbone looks like you're wearing a mini cheese grater on your ear, no thanks, it may be good, but i need it to look good also. that thing looks ugly.

D1G1T4L
Jul 15, 2007, 11:50 PM
jawbone looks like you're wearing a mini cheese grater on your ear, no thanks, it may be good, but i need it to look good also. that thing looks ugly.

:D I'll take function over fashion everyday. I'll never understand those who want to wear a bluetooth headset as a fashion accessory.

VERY VERY happy with my Jawbone so far. I did add a jabra eargel to help increase volume while in my truck.

The only problem I might have is I do grow a beard in the winter. Will be interesting to see how and if that is going to be a problem.

boss1
Jul 17, 2007, 08:41 PM
I called a local atnt store a few hours ago and was told that the jawbone doesnt work with iphone. :-\

I'm considering picking up a jawbone based on the responses in this thread. My only concerns are ( based on this thread) are that it doesn't slip on and off the ear quickly. My other concern is how well my glasses will sit over my ears with the jawbone?

Btw does anyone know if the Apple BT headset is going to be available in stores when it's released? Sort of a silly question I know but there maybe a chance someone has read or heard something in this regard.

I would hate to have a headset on ship order or backordered while people can just walk in to stores and buy them lol

slick316
Jul 21, 2007, 11:31 PM
I got the iPhone on Tuesday, and just picked up the Jawbone.

Took me a few tries to figure out how to get it to fit best, and whether or not I wanted to use my left or right ear.

It still takes me a 10-15 seconds to get it on my ear to wear its comfortable, but thats okay.

I have only used it for about 1 hours worth of talk time, but the quality is great on my end.

I was watching TV at a low volume and talking to my cousin and he mentioned that he can hear it, which I thought was odd since people mentioned that they were in cars using the Jawbone with the windows down and music up and the caller wasn't able to hear the wind and music (BTW, I sit about 10 feet from my TV).

However, I talked to three people and none of them were able to tell I was on a headset and all said that my voice was clear on there end, which is good enough for me.

This is my first headset, so I am still getting used to how it feels on my ear, but so far, so good.

aimfire
Jul 23, 2007, 03:37 AM
I called a local atnt store a few hours ago and was told that the jawbone doesnt work with iphone. :-\

lol, well not too shocking that they would tell you that... haha :rolleyes:
I was in a ATT store the other day and the clerk asked me how I was liking my iPhone so far. Told him it was cool, but was really looking forward to the first software update and am hoping they add some new features... He responded: "Oh yeah, thinner and lighter is always better!"... :rolleyes:

It *does* work with the iPhone and very well... pairing was extremely easy compared to the Moto brand BT headset I once tried with my old RAZR.

I've had the black jawbone for about 2 weeks now... when I first started using it, took me forever to get the thing on and off my ear everytime, but after some practice, it's very easy.

Sound quality is great and very comfortable to wear. As others have said, callers say there's no difference in sound quality, they can't tell I'm using a BT headset. Only thing I don't like is, the on/off button is a bit difficult to press while you're wearing the headset.

And here's something interesting that I learned...
I was getting some static when wearing it at home, a friend told me that my wifi network was probably causing the interference. So I tried it in the car, away from any wifi - and wow, was crystal clear, no static or crackling.

carman63
Jul 25, 2007, 07:20 AM
I have the Jabra JX10, the Jawbone, and last night I picked up the Apple headset.

With the Jawbone, my fiance can still hear the background noise, although not as much as with the JX10. It's more pronounced when I'm moving around than when I'm standing still.

I'm having a hard time getting a good, secure fit with the Jawbone. I've tried both earpieces, and have fiddled with different sizes for inside the ear, and none of them give me a lot of confidence. Add a pair of sunglasses on top of the ear hook, and it gets even looser.

The Apple, I can only give impressions based on the incoming calls (I tested calling my work voicemail). Incoming sounds are really good. The headset is light, and fits my ear ok. I'll have to wear it for a long period of time to see if it stays in. Basically, if the standard Apple earbuds work for you, this will as well. They include 2 foam covers as well.

The fact that I have a dock for charging both the iPhone and headset, as well as a travel cable that charges both as well, is a bonus. And probably accounts for $25 - $30 of the cost.

The Jawbone goes back this week. Now it's the Apple headset vs my Jabra.

b257177
Aug 1, 2007, 09:15 PM
The Jawbone goes back this week. Now it's the Apple headset vs my Jabra.

What's the final verdict? have you picked one yet?

Socalrunner951
Aug 4, 2007, 06:12 PM
I just picked up the jawbone today and is it just me or do you have to push the buttons really hard to turn it on/off? Also the noise reduction for me isn't working that well. I made a test call and they said they could still hear the tv in the background.

drewfus
Aug 8, 2007, 10:57 AM
I ordered my Apple BT headset online, and it arrived two days ago. After a few days of testing, I've decided that it's going back. I really really really want to like it because of the design, but as far as functionality, it's not so good. The sound quality is fairly good, but a couple of things happened that made me decide to stick with my jawbone:

1) I was walking around yesterday, and got a call while the phone was in my left pocket, and the headset was on my right ear. I answered it, and all I could really hear was terrible static, until I took the phone out of my pocket. I then tried switching the headset to my left ear, but some of the static problems remained...and quite honestly (a bit whiny I know), it just didn't feel comfortable in my left ear.

2) I was at a local mall during yesterday's keynote, just following the updates on my computer, and I got a phone call. I answered it using the headset, and the person on the other side immediately said, "Where are you? It's so loud, and I can barely hear you." I haven't had this problem with the jawbone at all.

So unfortunately, I'll have to pass on this, which is odd for me, because I generally never pass on Apple products. At least I'll have the unboxing pics for the memories!:p

MikeonTV
Aug 9, 2007, 01:04 PM
sounds like a lot of money for something that isn't a necessity.

b257177
Aug 10, 2007, 04:17 PM
I'm gonna look at getting a custom mold made for my Jawbone. This site (http://www.averysound.com/as.cell_phone_earpiece.html) makes them, but you have to create your own molds via a kit they send you, which you then mail back and they ship you the completed product. On top of that some audiologists don't recommend this as you could damage your ears. I'm gonna see about going to an audiologist. Hopefully it's not terribly expensive, as I've already spent $120 getting the headset.

You could also try the Jabra ear gels from Radio Shack for $8...

Radio Shack is now phasing out Jabra stuff form their stores, so these babies are now $4.97. Only available in the stores though. I got a set this morning and am using (read only using) the Large Right Ear gel. (Speaking of which, if other gel size users want to trade, let me know!)

Here's what my result looks like:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_EAIuOTKdyPU/RrzUu239XsI/AAAAAAAAADc/tj4Vg7gfPBA/s200/IMG_0041.JPG

I gotta tell ya, for a heckuva lot less $$, you get the same effect and benefits (more details will be in the Wearability installment of our in-depth JawBone review.)

j00sh
Aug 17, 2007, 02:21 PM
I love my BlueAnt Z9. Everything about it. Except the fit is kinda big so it gets uncomfortable after awhile but I dont leave it in all day.

simplexveritas
Aug 17, 2007, 03:38 PM
The Jawbowne is amazing.

Someone told me Jawbone is military grade -- can anyone speak to this?

Deuceklub1911
Aug 17, 2007, 03:56 PM
I have the Jabra BT5020 and it works well for me. The only thing I don't like about it is the cheap rubber earbud they give you to keep the headset in your ear. Other than that, the quality is great. And it's very lightweight and discreet.

pshady
Aug 17, 2007, 06:48 PM
I have the Jabra BT5020 and it works well for me. The only thing I don't like about it is the cheap rubber earbud they give you to keep the headset in your ear. Other than that, the quality is great. And it's very lightweight and discreet.

I tried the Jawbone but I actually didn't like it. I ended up with the Plantronics Voyager 510 which works very well and is quite cheap!

Mike