PDA

View Full Version : dual g4 1.25 vs. g5 1.6 - which one's better?

confusion
Jul 15, 2003, 04:35 PM
hi everybody

can anyone of you estimate which powermac is faster, the dual g4 1.25ghz or the single g5 1.6ghz?
i have to help someone buy a computer tomorrow and don't know which machine i should recommend...
originally i wanted to recommend the g4 since it's already a performance overkill for what it's needed, but the g5 is less expensive, and if it's faster, then there's no reason not to recommend it...

which one would you go for?

greetings from switzerland
daniel

macphoria
Jul 15, 2003, 04:44 PM
First of all, there is no comprehensive real life test for such comparison. I'm basing my opinion on my experience with dual processor G4's and things I've read about G5.

Dual processor computers perform much better than single processor computer when it comes to graphics intensive work, like Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, After Effects, etc. Other than that, the difference is negligible.

But new G5 is significantly faster than G4. So even with two 1.25ghz G4 processors probably cannot compete with single 1.6ghz G5. I do a lot of work with After Effects and Photoshop and if I were you, I would go with 1.6ghz G5.

Abstract
Jul 15, 2003, 04:55 PM
Depending on what your friend needs it for, I'd go with the G5 just because it's a G5 and its cool to have a G5. :D

Is the dual processor G4 really more expensive than the 1.6GHz G5? How much do they cost in Swiss Francs? :confused:

FredAkbar
Jul 15, 2003, 05:12 PM
Actually, if you play around with configuring the Dual 1.25 G4 at the online Apple store (no SuperDrive, lesser graphics card, only 256 MB RAM, less hard drive space), you can get it down to $1599--considerably less than a G5. Even with 512 MB of RAM, it's still just $1724.

barkmonster
Jul 15, 2003, 05:22 PM
If the dual 1.25 is overkill. why not get the single 1.25Ghz model ?

It's only 999 in the UK ($849 before tax). That's less than 2 3rds the price of the 1.6GHz G5.

OS X and OS 9 aswell.

XnavxeMiyyep
Jul 15, 2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by FredAkbar
Actually, if you play around with configuring the Dual 1.25 G4 at the online Apple store (no SuperDrive, lesser graphics card, only 256 MB RAM, less hard drive space), you can get it down to $1599--considerably less than a G5. Even with 512 MB of RAM, it's still just $1724.
Get rid of the Superdrive in the 1.6 GHz G5, and it's only 1,799.

szark
Jul 15, 2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by macphoria
But new G5 is significantly faster than G4. So even with two 1.25ghz G4 processors probably cannot compete with single 1.6ghz G5. I do a lot of work with After Effects and Photoshop and if I were you, I would go with 1.6ghz G5.

Yes, don't forget about the FSB -- a shared 167MHz on the 1.25 G4 vs. 800 MHz on the 1.6 G5. That will cause significant improvement in the applications that matter.

hvfsl
Jul 15, 2003, 05:54 PM
The dual is faster on some apps that support 2 cpus, but most things like games are run faster on the G5. Photoshop runs at about the same speed on both, but should be faster on the G5 when they release v8. I would get the G5 since you could always update the chip to a PPC980 when it comes out in the future, you won't be able to update the G4 much beyond adding 2 1.6Ghz G4s in about a years time.

Doctor Q
Jul 15, 2003, 06:14 PM
* Single-processor G4: a bargain, which may be fast enough for what you plan to do

* Dual-processor G4: fast with certain CPU-intensive applications, if that's what the computer will be used for

* G5: fastest for most applications

I'd get the G5 because you'll have a processor that'll last longer into the future as Apple produces more G5-optimized code and takes advantages of the other state-of-the-art features of the G5. In other words, you're paying for more than raw speed with the G5.

confusion
Jul 16, 2003, 08:48 AM
thanks for your answers.

for what it will be used, a single 1.25ghz g4 would definitly be enough. well, even an imac would do the job, but the friend, i have to help with the decision, has a relatively new display, so...

BUT, the low end powermac is a nono for psychological reasons ;) (and because the computer has to last >5 years)

so, i told her today that she should wait until the g5 are out and performance comparisons are availible...

confusion