PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G5 on HDTV

Quad 68030
Jul 1, 2007, 01:53 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to connect my Powermac G5 to my Sony LCD HDTV (KDL-32S2000) using the VGA adapter. Looks like the best resolution I can get doing this is 1024x768. My problem is that the picture is not in widescreen format. The only way to do so is to stretch the picture by changing the mode on the TV. It doesn't look very good like this :mad: . Is this a limitation of the GeForce 6600 LE graphics card or maybe the VGA cable?

Thanks

SuperCompu2
Jul 1, 2007, 01:55 PM
I think it may be a limitation of the VGA input signal on the TV. Try finding an HDMI to DVI cable and hook it up that way. You should be able to get at very least widescreen this way (i think? someone wanna back me up?)

mkrishnan
Jul 1, 2007, 02:02 PM
Also try SwitchResX (http://www.madrau.com/). A lot of times, you can get the native resolution (yours is 1360x768 ... this is the resolution you want to end up with) using VGA just fine, but OS X won't give it to you. This program can help. My iMac is hooked up to my HDTV using VGA and SwitchResX and gets the native res fine. :)

Quad 68030
Jul 1, 2007, 11:38 PM
Well, I gave SwitchRez a try but no luck. Of course, I'm probably just doing something wrong. The resolutions in the Active tab are the same ones in the System Pref. I've tried to pick the 1360x768 from the Common tab as well as enter all the info manually in the Custom tab. Neither changes it to 1360x768 after restarting the computer. If anyone knows how to get this application to work, please let me know. I'd rather not have to buy a HDMI-DVI cable since I only have one HDMI input on my TV (currently in use).

Thanks

Quad 68030
Jul 2, 2007, 08:50 AM
Would it help to register the program? Will that provide other resolution support?

slughead
Jul 2, 2007, 01:48 PM
I'd highly recommend using HDMI. The cables are inexpensive if you get them online.

I got a 15 footer (DVI - > HDMI) for 8 bucks.

flappo
Jul 2, 2007, 01:59 PM
he's right , hdmi is the way to go

plus the cables are miles better vfm

i wasted 50+ on some vga cables and then bought an hdmi for 7

the hdmi connection wipes the floor with the vga !!

plus the resolution is much higher

i have a bravia 40w2000 connected to an imac dual core and it's really stunning

Quad 68030
Jul 2, 2007, 08:00 PM
Well, I checked out my TV's user manual. It says to not connect a PC using the HDMI cable and to only use the PC VGA input. I was able to get my hands on a cheap DVI/HDMI cable to try it anyway. My TV must not support doing this which is obvious when I boot up. First thing you see is all the colors are a pink/red hue. Second, the Menu Bar and the bottom of the screen are cut off. I do have a lot more resolution choices in the System. However, none can be used due to the color. Most of the resolutions are interlaced too (I'd like to get at least 720p). I'd appreciate any suggestions or software fixes that may exist. I guess I might have to just live with stretched VGA.

Thanks guys.

Quad 68030
Jul 2, 2007, 08:06 PM
Ok, after rebooting using the VGA cable I now have all the resolutions I had while using the DVI/HDMI. Color is, of course, back to normal with VGA. My TV's native display is not available though. None of the resolutions will do widescreen (not even 1920 x 1080 interlaced). I guess I'll play with the settings some more. Any ideas?

----------------------
Edit: Never mind. I figured out why I have all the resolutions in System Pref - I didn't remove the DVI/HDMI cable from the other output on the graphics card. It was reading both DVI outputs in System Pref. Oh well.....VGA it is. :(

Fearless Leader
Jul 2, 2007, 08:07 PM
on my sharp I could get 1360x768 which was 6 pixels too narrow and made the TV go berserk, then I stepped down to 1280x768 and I have a black inch on both sides but I really don't care. All VGA, and my choice is progressive, if you go digital (HDMI, DVI) you will get over scan issues, like you are experiencing with the menu and dock. the 1024x768 is a limit of you TV, or it sounds like it, cause you can push 1080p out a VGA cable if you wanted.

You cant tell the difference, between VGA and DVI/HDMI (same thing, one just has audio), unless you have the images side by side.

mkrishnan
Jul 2, 2007, 08:25 PM
on my sharp I could get 1360x768 which was 6 pixels too narrow and made the TV go berserk

I believe this has something to do with the "porch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_porch)" -- which is very loosely related to overscan on CRTs, I think? Anyway, I know mine actually did *want* 1360x768 (although at the odd refresh rate of 60Hz, which is odd considering it wanted a different refresh rate at 1024x768), although they're certainly the same native LCD size.... DisplayConfigX and SwitchResX have some settings that can let you try to fix this, although it's complicated.... :(

AndyC
Nov 9, 2007, 05:10 AM
Does anyone have the switchresx or displayconfigx settings for use on a macbookPro and Bravia 40w2000 using VGA.

Thanks

FireArse
Nov 9, 2007, 05:19 AM
Does anyone have the switchresx or displayconfigx settings for use on a macbookPro and Bravia 40w2000 using VGA.

Thanks

I was led to believe that to get anything near HD resolutions on the Bravia's you'll have to use the HDMI.

I plan on connecting a Mac Mini to a KDL40x3500. I'll want to see it play the HD files I have.

Thanks,

F

AndyC
Nov 9, 2007, 05:28 AM
Unfortunatly both HDMI ports are in use, I dont really want to get an HDMI splitter but it maybe something i will have to do in future.

I have managed to get 1920x1080 using a PC but have since moved to mac. It is not something i will use on a permanent basis as i have a macbookpro and will convert most clips i have and run from PS3. It would just be nice to be able to download the odd HD clip and display on TV without having to convert to PS3 format.

Thanks