PDA

View Full Version : Toast or Dragon for my PowerMac G4?

Goochman
Jul 1, 2007, 02:46 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before...I'm new to the Mac world. Just bought a DVR-111 superdrive for my g4 to replace the old CD-ROM that came with the computer. First time i tried it the system wouldn't show up, so i moved the jumper from master to cs position. Shows up now in system profiler but won't run any DVD's, so I figure i need burning software. Should I go with the Roxio Toast or the Dragon? Should i move the jumper back to master first?

BTW, running on dual 533MHz, 768 MB SDRAM. OSX, 10.4.10. Any help you could give me would be very much appreciated. If you need more info let me know.

iBookG4user
Jul 1, 2007, 02:51 PM
I personally use Toast, and it's great, although I haven't used Dragon before.

killerrobot
Jul 1, 2007, 02:57 PM
I'm totally one sided on this one too, Toast all the way.
BTW I'm one sided because this is the first time I've ever heard of dragon.

By "run" do you mead read or burn. If the first, did you install any driver software with the DVR-111? Any disk come with that? I don't think toast is going to make that be able to read DVD's.

Goochman
Jul 1, 2007, 04:32 PM
I can't get the drive to run anything. Came with 2 discs; a Nero 7 software disc and one that had a mac software label on it. Can't get the drive to read either one, but it shows up in the system profiler just fine. That's why i'm wondering what's going on.

Cromulent
Jul 1, 2007, 04:50 PM
I can't get the drive to run anything. Came with 2 discs; a Nero 7 software disc and one that had a mac software label on it. Can't get the drive to read either one, but it shows up in the system profiler just fine. That's why i'm wondering what's going on.

Sounds like a problem with the drive that installing Toast will not fix.

Angrist
Jul 1, 2007, 05:06 PM
You shouldn't NEED any software to use that drive.

I have the same one in my PowerMac Digital Audio and it worked right off the bat with the jumper set on "master"

Try resetting the pram, hold cmd-opt-p-r at boot, wait til the second bong, release.

MacRumorUser
Jul 1, 2007, 05:27 PM

NERO is a PC application. You have a MAC

I think you get the idea ;) :)

Are CD's mounting? Are DVD's playing in DVD player ? If so the drive is working.

Goochman
Jul 1, 2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Last time I tried, couldn't get CD's or DVD's to run in the drive. All I know is that it's getting power and it's showing up in the system profiler.
Tonight (I'm at work now) I'll try putting the jumper back in the 'master' position and re-boot. hopefully that will work. And hopefully I won't need to download toast.

Cromulent
Jul 1, 2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Last time I tried, couldn't get CD's or DVD's to run in the drive. All I know is that it's getting power and it's showing up in the system profiler.
Tonight (I'm at work now) I'll try putting the jumper back in the 'master' position and re-boot. hopefully that will work. And hopefully I won't need to download toast.

You won't. As I said Toast won't make a blind bit of a difference to the problem you are having.

Goochman
Jul 2, 2007, 02:23 PM
Apparently my old ZIP drive was interfering with the optical drive's functionability. Took the ZIP drive out, re-booted w/the jumper on 'cs' position, and it worked like a charm. Downloaded the patchburn, and the CD included w/the drive had Toast 6.1 on it, so I downloaded that too. Only two problems now: get my old ZIP disc out of the drive (can't get it to power on), and decide how long to use this computer before upgrading to G5.

Thanks again for all of your help, everyone...