Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
munich / germany
Hello everyone,
my girlfriend just bought a macBookPro intelCore2Duo and wants to install windows on bootcamp now.
for these purposes she bought an OEM version (HP/compaq) of winXP pro sp2 consisting of two cd's (operating system cd and HP restore plus! cd).
the dealer of the XP-cd's told her that she could install it on any computer, not only on HP or compaq, but it doesn't seem to work.
after starting the windowsXP installation from bootcamp, the macbook restarts in DOS-environment and we get the following message:
your operating system cd was originally shipped as part of a restore plus! kit.
for validation purpose, please remove the operating system cd, insert the restore plus! cd, and press <enter>...
now I got the problem that I don't know how to eject the cd. the eject key on the macbookPro-keyboard doesn't work in this mode.
so I had to restart the macBook to eject the XP-cd.
if I use the restore plus! cd from the beginning to install XP, I get the message, that this cd only works with HP-computers.

would be great,
if anybody could help me!

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
So the moron who sold you the disk doesn't really know what he's talking about. It's not actually an OEM disk because it needs the original restore disks that would have come with the pc it belongs to.

Take it back and get your money refunded.

OMAC1A

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2006
Hello everyone,
my girlfriend just bought a macBookPro intelCore2Duo and wants to install windows on bootcamp now.
for these purposes she bought an OEM version (HP/compaq) of winXP pro sp2 consisting of two cd's (operating system cd and HP restore plus! cd).
the dealer of the XP-cd's told her that she could install it on any computer, not only on HP or compaq, but it doesn't seem to work.
after starting the windowsXP installation from bootcamp, the macbook restarts in DOS-environment and we get the following message:
your operating system cd was originally shipped as part of a restore plus! kit.
for validation purpose, please remove the operating system cd, insert the restore plus! cd, and press <enter>...
now I got the problem that I don't know how to eject the cd. the eject key on the macbookPro-keyboard doesn't work in this mode.
so I had to restart the macBook to eject the XP-cd.
if I use the restore plus! cd from the beginning to install XP, I get the message, that this cd only works with HP-computers.

would be great,
if anybody could help me!

You didn't get an OEM version of Windows, you got the restore CDs to an HP computer. The version of XP on those disks will ONLY work on the computer they were shipped with. Nor can you take the XP Activation code (you did get one didn't you?) for that version of XP and use it to activate another version. You have to buy either a retail or boxed OEM version of Windows. You can get those at newegg.com or Micro Center and maybe Fry's.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.