Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
It's still got that horrible swoopy line along the bottom, but with a boot and the twin turbo engine this little thing could redefine the term "pocket-rocket".

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    254.7 KB · Views: 212
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    270.1 KB · Views: 178

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I dig it. If they come to the US I'd totally be in the market for a used one (maybe new if I plan it right) in a few years.

BMW has struggled to get their smaller models right for a while, though from the looks of it this one's been done properly.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
I dig it. If they come to the US I'd totally be in the market for a used one (maybe new if I plan it right) in a few years.

BMW has struggled to get their smaller models right for a while, though from the looks of it this one's been done properly.

They are indeed coming to the US. :)

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
Ahhhh... a poor man's BMW ;)

poor man + BMW + twin turbo = me and my face :D everytime I drive somewhere.
Besides that, is there a release date in stone yet or is it just sometime 2008 maybe but hopefully not 2009 for the US still?

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
Will the 135i be available in hatchback guise too? I prefer hatches to coupes...

Not that I can afford one anyway, and in any case only the 3 and 5 series are available in India.

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
Looking at this and the hatchback model I just wonder what took BMW so long before producing something that can compete with the Audi A3 in terms of looks... 3 years late?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I really like it, although it looks kinda a bit more 'average' at the back than a BMW really should, plus that horrible side-line along the bottom makes it look like the whole side of the car has sagged down...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I think that it looks like a nice car- similar to the previous design of the 3 series. Lately, I have been kicking the idea around of buying a new 3 series Coupe/Sedan. :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The styling is an improvement over some of the other BMWs, but still a step down from the previous generation in terms of looks.

I'm not convinced BMW can build a successful car under $30k these days, especially in the face of competition from Volkswagen and the Japanese. Still, it looks to be a better package than the lame 318. But Merc failed with their "cheap" hatchback, so we'll see I guess. The diesel option is missing - why?

Looking at the photos, I still don't like the way the headlights taper to a point on the outside, which gives the car a squinty look. Also, the car pictured is presumably the 135i with the "M appearance package"...which looks nice and aggressive, but what does the base model look like?

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
So I guess this is another option when I consider upgrading my Jetta 1.8T next year.
I like the look of the BMW, but wonder how many critical corners were cut in order to keep the price down. Would it really be that much of an upgrade from a higher-end VW or lower-end Audi? (I love my german cars) There are some really nice european cars to compete with in the 25K-30K range.
I guess I'll just have to test drive one. :D

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I really like it, although it looks kinda a bit more 'average' at the back than a BMW really should, plus that horrible side-line along the bottom makes it look like the whole side of the car has sagged down...

I agree. From the back it reminds me of VW styling, but.... I like VW styling too.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Wow, seems I'm getting a little heat from my comment, haha :p . I suppose to me the idea reminds me of the 318... was really only a BMW in name only :D

The 318 - yes, it was a BMW, but it was expensive and it was crap.

The only true "poor man's BMW" is an older used one.

You can't really get a nice cheap German car these days - VWs are climbing over $30k, and are heavy and fat. I think I'd definitely take a GTI over a 128, except I'd very much prefer a RWD car.

AvalonX

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2007
I think its a bad idea. Its just going to degrade the BMW brand. Also, every BMW shares a common styling theme with its distinctive front kidney grill etc., and having a bunch of these low cost models filling the road it would no longer be a cool thing to see BMW driving by... it may end up as another redundantly annoying car on the road that all look the same.

And if you live is Southern California like I do. There are enough of them already.

i.e. if they release the 1-series I may no longer be interested in getting the 3-series convertible.

daze

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
San Jose, California
The 318 - yes, it was a BMW, but it was expensive and it was crap.

The only true "poor man's BMW" is an older used one.

You can't really get a nice cheap German car these days - VWs are climbing over $30k, and are heavy and fat. I think I'd definitely take a GTI over a 128, except I'd very much prefer a RWD car.
Actually, in Canada, you can purchase either the City Jetta/Golf for $14K - 17K Canadian. Check out http://www.vw.ca. Infact, I am seriously thinking of trading in my piece of crap Pontiac Grand Am 2002 which I bought new... and just finished payments on. Sucks.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I think its a bad idea. Its just going to degrade the BMW brand. Also, every BMW shares a common styling theme with its distinctive front kidney grill etc., and having a bunch of these low cost models filling the road it would no longer be a cool thing to see BMW driving by... it may end up as another redundantly annoying car on the road that all look the same.

News flash - BMWs are pretty numerous already. 9 out of 10 yuppies choose BMW...If you've got $30k to burn, there are other options...Audis are much less common, for example. Or, if you must go BMW, how about a used M3?

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
poor man + BMW + twin turbo = me and my face :D everytime I drive somewhere.
Besides that, is there a release date in stone yet or is it just sometime 2008 maybe but hopefully not 2009 for the US still?

Seriously! $25k is a great deal for any car with a twin turbo... (I can hear the turbos spinning up in my head.)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I think its a bad idea. Its just going to degrade the BMW brand. ...
<etc>

i.e. if they release the 1-series I may no longer be interested in getting the 3-series convertible.
I bet you were one of those people who said "If Bush wins this election, I am moving to Canada." too. ;)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Meh, BMWs are pretty dull cars style wise.
The only interesting ones they've done in recent years have been the Z4 Coupe M and the M Coupe.

I'm glad some styling cues made it from the X-coupe...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.