PDA

View Full Version : Basic Things for a G3 tower

TheBusDriver
Jul 1, 2007, 10:13 PM
Hey I was wondering what I would have to do to run Tiger on a G3, I'm not sure how to find out the procssor speed or ram or hdd. Also does Apple use pass keys like windows on its software and if not can I use the tiger from my intel macbook and boot on the G3? I just want to it cruise the internet and do some word proccesing with nothing to terribly straining. I'm sort of a noob when it comes to this.

Thanks,
Steve

SkyBell
Jul 1, 2007, 10:19 PM
Hey I was wondering what I would have to do to run Tiger on a G3, I'm not sure how to find out the procssor speed or ram or hdd. Also does Apple use pass keys like windows on its software and if not can I use the tiger from my intel macbook and boot on the G3? I just want to it cruise the internet and do some word proccesing with nothing to terribly straining. I'm sort of a noob when it comes to this.

Thanks,
Steve

Tiger should run on a Powermac G3 Blue and White (http://www.apple-history.com/body.php?page=gallery&model=g3blue&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC), but this one (http://www.apple-history.com/body.php?page=gallery&model=g3&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC) won't.

What I find amazing is how many g3 Blue and white's were made in the 9 months they were in production...

CanadaRAM
First of all, if you want OSX 10.4 on another machine you legally must buy a retail copy of 10.4 to get the license.

Second, the intel Mac installer will not work because it is intel specific.

Third, what G3 machine specifically is it? If it is a beige machine, you have additional hax required before it will accept 10.

Fourth, you will likely get 10,4 on DVD, therefore you will have to use a bootable DVD-ROM or DVD-RW to install, or do some kind of a Firewire target disk workaround from another Mac.

TheBusDriver
ok how much is 10.3 running these days dollar wise :D

Schroedinger
Jul 1, 2007, 11:16 PM
Just find yourself a nice linux distro. It'll handle your basic tasks and you can suit the distribution to match the hardware you have.

Nermal
Jul 1, 2007, 11:44 PM
ok how much is 10.3 running these days dollar wise :D

It shouldn't be too much, and I actually recommend 10.3 over 10.4 on a B&W (I have one).

TheBusDriver
Jul 2, 2007, 06:01 AM
Just find yourself a nice linux distro. It'll handle your basic tasks and you can suit the distribution to match the hardware you have.

The problem I have with that is, I have never been able to get applications to run on linux. And I thing I'm going to use this computer to convince my parents to switch to mac. Because the PC they have won't hardly connect to the internet, and it is only a couple years old :rolleyes: