Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scotty1024

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Lotus Notes supports a secure reliable web mail server for corporations.

I tested it this morning and it works 100% for me with my iPhone.

A Microsoftie told me Sunday that the word has been passed to Microsoft employees: even if you can get Exchange support on your iPhone, you won't get corporate Microsoft email, they're blocking it.

vbvr

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
I use Lotus Notes at work too.

If its not too much trouble, could you list down the steps you took to make Lotus Notes work with your iphone.

thanks
V

TydalForce

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2003
Philly, PA
Lotus Notes has a web-based interface, I believe it's called "iNotes" (at least that's what my company calls it). I was able to log into it with no problem and check some mail.

basically, the trick is, not Notes support for the iPhone, but rather than the iPhone is compatible with Notes' webmail interface.

CyberGreg

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2004
SoCal
Lotus Notes has a web-based interface, I believe it's called "iNotes" (at least that's what my company calls it). I was able to log into it with no problem and check some mail.

basically, the trick is, not Notes support for the iPhone, but rather than the iPhone is compatible with Notes' webmail interface.

Yup... and to make it an even better experience you use the Domino Web Mail (or something similar) mail template so the web interface is very close to OWA (Outlook Web Access).

My problem, wait not really a problem is that corporate doesn't allow access to the Domino environment except through VPN, plus I have a corp Blackberry for my Lotus Notes ;-)

nydoofus

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
Yup... and to make it an even better experience you use the Domino Web Mail (or something similar) mail template so the web interface is very close to OWA (Outlook Web Access).

My problem, wait not really a problem is that corporate doesn't allow access to the Domino environment except through VPN, plus I have a corp Blackberry for my Lotus Notes ;-)

There's an OWA template for Domino Web Mail? Where?

CyberGreg

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2004
SoCal
There's an OWA template for Domino Web Mail? Where?

It's part of Domino server. It's not OWA, it just makes your mail file work better through a web browser.

If you know how to "replace the design" of your mail file then you're all set.

:)

scotty1024

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
You can also secure the Domino web mail with SSL based encryption and put an SSL accelerator from Cisco or F5 at the edge of the corporate network. The iPhone works fine with those as well, and requires no configuration to use them.

jamiemagee

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
You can also use this solution for Lotus Notes to iPhone...

"WirelessMail for Notes" (http://martinscott.com/wirelessmail) will push-redirect copies of Lotus Notes email to any other email address you specify, such as a Yahoo or GMail account. Then the iPhone can get it directly from there. The emails in your Inbox will show up in the iPhone inbox automatically, appearing to be sent from the original sender, including the other names in the cc and sendto lists.

There is nothing to install on the server or on the iPhone; you install WirelessMail to your mailfile through the installer. Yet you don't have to leave your computer on; it runs as an agent in your mailfile on the server.

There's a 30 day free trial, and it installs easily as long as you have at least "Designer" level access to your mail box. Most users do, but if you don't, your email administrator can install it for you.

One problem currently with iPhone (using any email solution) is that replies you send from the iPhone will appear to come from your Yahoo/gmail account. This is unlike other handhelds let you change the From address to that of your corporate email. I've heard a lot of complaints about this, and trust that Apple is listening and will address in an over-the-air fix for the iPhone.

Another more direct way available in some organizations is to set the iPhone's IMAP settings to get mail directly from the Domino mail server, if the IMAP server task is running on that server. However, some organizations don't like to leave this running. Most don't.

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
Just set up a rule to redirect

A simple (and free) why to do this and get around any VPN issues is to just set up a rule in Notes to send all mail to another address. Looks like this:

WHEN all documents THEN send Full Copy to address@mail.com

Works fine.

jamiemagee

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
some advantages over a mail rule...

A simple (and free) why to do this and get around any VPN issues is to just set up a rule in Notes

That's true. Some companies disable mail rules centrally, but they probably do work for most companies. WirelessMail does offer some additional features over a mail rule that might be useful for business users...

• emails sent from the handheld can be bcc'd to your Notes address for permanent record, and WirelessMail will recognize these and move them to your Sent folder as if you had sent them from Notes.
  • You can control which sizes and types of attachments are included on the redirected message copies
  • You can set filters for whether to redirect an email (based on date/time/sender/content) with more control and ease than the mail rules interface in Notes.
  • Remote control commands can be emailed from your handheld back to your Notes address to adjust settings, full text search your mail, query your calendar, and lookup addresses
  • WirelessMail sends you daily summaries of your calendar entries for that day, as well as reminders before meetings

scotty1024

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
A simple (and free) why to do this and get around any VPN issues is to just set up a rule in Notes to send all mail to another address.

Might as well just use IMAP to Notes at that point, almost no security at all with copying email into a public email server.

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
Very true except my companies acceptable use policy prohibits blind forwarding. :cool:

Agreed . . .but not sure the tool above complies with corporate policies either. . .their website goes out of the way to mention you don't need to work with corporate IT which I read as a wink-wink to circumvent them.

sting0r

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
It's part of Domino server. It's not OWA, it just makes your mail file work better through a web browser.

If you know how to "replace the design" of your mail file then you're all set.

:)

What template are you using? Can you post it by any chance or point me in the right direction?

Packman

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2007
I would need a VPN client to access iNotes inside our organization. In order to sync messages, calendars, and to do lists from Domino to the iPhone using IMAP the following mobile gateway looks very promising: http://www.synchronica.com/index.html

I have requested pricing from resellers listed at this site but both claim they are listed by mistake. I contacted Synchronica directly yesterday for pricing information but have not heard back yet. Does anyone know of another mobile gateway that works with Domino Notes using IMAP? :confused:

Thanks.

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Wow... people still use Notes. I guess that's not too surprising, people are probably still using CC mail too. I remember getting my developer certification at the R5 release in Florida... oh the promises of glory and greatness. ::cough::

That was what, almost ten years ago? How far has Notes/Domino come?

Packman

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2007
Many government agencies use Domino Notes because the security is better. Currently running version 7 which is certainly an improvement over version 5. Still trying to find a mobile gateway though. Synchronica still has not replied to my request....:rolleyes: vaporware?

schwali

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
Help with inotes on iphone

I see many of you crossed this bridge some months ago. I just got my iphone and also am a victim to Notes at work. I attempted to access inotes on my iphone, but upon attempting to login received an error message that the extraweb/inotes only uses internet explorer because it uses Active X controls. And iphone obviously is not running explorer.

Has anyone succesfully used inotes and if so, please share with me how.
thank you!

mdhanel

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
Redirect problems?

Lotus Notes supports a secure reliable web mail server for corporations.

I tested it this morning and it works 100% for me with my iPhone.

A Microsoftie told me Sunday that the word has been passed to Microsoft employees: even if you can get Exchange support on your iPhone, you won't get corporate Microsoft email, they're blocking it.

Did you have any problems getting stuck on the redirect page of the webmail application (inotes)? I have tried access lotus notes through the inotes and my iphone keeps getting stuck. Any ideas?

toddcastle

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
an Expert Q&A on this at LotusUserGroup.org this week

I had questions on this too and found that, for the week of September 8 - 12, 2008 LotusUserGroup.org has an expert moderated Q&A on iPhone and Lotus . I've found these forums super helpful in the past.

him303

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
Lotus mail on iphone

I use Lotus Notes at work too.

If its not too much trouble, could you list down the steps you took to make Lotus Notes work with your iphone.

thanks
V

Can you please list down the steps to make lotus mail work on iphone

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Can you please list down the steps to make lotus mail work on iphone

It starts with installing the server side software. It's software in addition to the standard iNotes software. I am sure there are detailed instructions at the IBM web site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.