PDA

View Full Version : Edge presents: The 100 Best Videogames

BoyBach
Jul 2, 2007, 02:34 PM
Edge has finally published it's Top 100 games of all time with 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time' being voted the number one game of all time.

The Top Ten:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario 64
Half Life 2
Super Mario World
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Halo: Combat Evolved
Final Fantasy XII
Tetris
Super Metroid

The list was drawn together in three stages - thousands of reader votes, combined with expert opinion in the games industry and finally input from Edge's own editorial team.

Mr [Tony] Mott [editor-in-chief] said Ocarina of Time was the reader favourite as well as the overall winner.

He said: "It appeared not long after games made the shift to 3D; everyone was wondering if it could make the transition.

"It was a very ambitious game. The way they were able to engineer it in a 3D context was a success; it worked brilliantly well."

But he said the intention behind the poll was not to create a "nostalgia festival".

"These games had to stand up today. People will be surprised by the small amount of very old games that have made it through.

"Often these types of lists are full of games like Space Invaders and Pong - which we recognise as classics, as important games - but they don't necessarily stand up to play today."

Edge Magazine Link (http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2007/07/the_100_best_vi.php)

BBC News Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6261546.stm)

Let the debate begin.

MacRumorUser
Jul 2, 2007, 02:40 PM
Read this on BBC news earlier.

Of course were going to have to stump up 10 or 17 to find out the other 90 :rolleyes: :)

psychofreak
Jul 2, 2007, 02:41 PM
Edge has finally published it's Top 100 games of all time with 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time' being voted the number one game of all time.

The Top Ten:

Resident Evil 4
Super Mario 64
Half Life 2
Super Mario World
Final Fantasy XII
Tetris
Super Metroid

I will be buying Edge tomorrow...as always...

But! Halo above Halo2?
And no Mario Kart 64 in the top ten!
I wonder where Diddy Kong will come in the list...

I am loving Sixtyforce, and the N64 was my firs console at age 6. I got the PS2 on release day, XBOX around a year after it came out and XBOX 360 on release day. The only portable consoles I have had are the Gameboy Colour and Gameboy Advance.

MacRumorUser
Jul 2, 2007, 02:43 PM

This is not in the July issue. I have that. This is going to be a special edition magazine release hence the higher price tag from the usual 4 to 10 ;)

As they would say in the Catherine Tate Show. "10 for a load of recycled articles and a readers poll listing.. The dirty robbing ba***rds..."

psychofreak
Jul 2, 2007, 02:45 PM
This is not in the July issue. I have that. This is going to be a special edition magazine release hence the higher price tag from the usual 4 to 10 ;)

As they would say in the Catherine Tate Show. "10 for a load of recycled articles and a readers poll listing.. The dirty robbing ba***rds..."

Damn...I meant I always buy it when I see something interesting...I'm not spending my money on that!

And Tate, eeeuuuuurrrrrrgggghhhhh!

Dagless
Jul 2, 2007, 03:16 PM
Can't fault that list at all. To be honest I thought they would have Prime up there, this only gets me more excited for Super Metroid :D

7/10 on Nintendo systems.
5/10 Nintendo exclusives.
None from this gen, 2/10 from last gen.
3 RPGs, 2 FPS, 1 puzzle.

But! Halo above Halo2?
Story was dead in Halo 2.

pcypert
Jul 2, 2007, 04:26 PM
I'm just getting into RES 4 on the Wii, but really don't see anything that would make it the number 2 game of all time...especially above others. Am excited to get deeper in and find out if there really is something special to the game...

Paul

Shotgun OS
Jul 2, 2007, 06:18 PM
I'm just getting into RES 4 on the Wii, but really don't see anything that would make it the number 2 game of all time...especially above others. Am excited to get deeper in and find out if there really is something special to the game...

Paul

I'm at the end of it. Definitely one of the best games ever.

I'm surprised at not seeing Final Fantasy VII on there. I think it should take XII's spot. :D

MacRumorUser
Jul 2, 2007, 06:29 PM
I think it should take XII's spot. :D

It was probably just a missprint on the BBC page. I think it probably was VII but a typo got in there. We will see when edge special editon gets released.

Dagless
Jul 2, 2007, 07:01 PM
I totally missed that! I thought it was FF7. It must be FF7.

BoyBach
Jul 3, 2007, 08:11 AM
I'm surprised at not seeing Final Fantasy VII on there. I think it should take XII's spot. :D

It was probably just a missprint on the BBC page. I think it probably was VII but a typo got in there. We will see when edge special editon gets released.

I totally missed that! I thought it was FF7. It must be FF7.

Edge recently voted Final Fantasy XII the game of the year so it probably isn't a typo.

takao
Jul 3, 2007, 10:58 AM
the list is made through reader feedback so of course totally based towards recent games

half life 2 but no half life 1 ? fail
halo beating tetris ? fail...
no civilization 2 ? fail
Super Mario World instead of Super Mario 3 ? fail
final fantasy xii instead of 7 or 8 ?
resident evil 4 ? while fantastic it does by no means deserve the 2. spot... fail

cycocelica
Jul 3, 2007, 12:14 PM
Resident Evil 4 is not the #2 best game, that is for damn sure.

Jasonbot
Jul 3, 2007, 01:58 PM
So why do I have to pay money to look at a list now :( I wonder where Diablo 2 ranked? Best RPG game ever.

steamboat26
Jul 3, 2007, 02:17 PM
Hard to argue with that list, but i would have put GTA high up on the list (probably top ten)

Shotgun OS
Jul 3, 2007, 03:46 PM
Edge recently voted Final Fantasy XII the game of the year so it probably isn't a typo.

Wow, that's pretty bad. :rolleyes:
FFXII was a good game, but nowhere as near as good as VII. It shows when the price of VII hits $100 nowadays.

pcypert
Jul 4, 2007, 09:53 AM
Really? I have a FFVII with guide and memory card with a save right after the death of someone special ;) maybe I should check out ebay...

Paul

csista
Jul 5, 2007, 04:06 AM
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario 64
Half Life 2
Super Mario World
Final Fantasy XII
Tetris
Super Metroid
[/LIST]

He talks about games standing the test of time, and then puts a Final Fantasy that's a year old? You have to give things time to settle before they're eligible for an all time list, whether it games or movies or music, etc.

That being said, I bought a Wii two weeks ago, and all I've been using this high-tech, motion sensing, next-gen device for is to play Super Mario World, so I have no problem with that being on the list. Now just tell me what Toejam and Earl placed at.

SpankyPenzaanz
Jul 6, 2007, 10:05 AM
I hold KOTOR above any finalfantasy bs. FF 6 was vastly superior to 7.

BoyBach
Jul 10, 2007, 08:13 AM
Yes, I spent a tenner on it. (But then I do own every Edge Magazine, it's my one vice!)

Resident Evil 4
Super Mario 64
Half Life 2
Super Mario World
Final Fantasy XII
Tetris
Super Metroid
Yoshi's Island
GTA: Vice City
Ico
Super Mario Kart
Pro Evolution Soccer 6
Street Fighter Anniversary
Goldeneye 007
Final Fantasy VII
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Civilzation IV
Okami
World of Warcraft
Metroid Prime
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Simcity 2000
Advance Wars
Rez
Perfect Dark
Deus Ex
Shadow of the Colossus
Katamari Damacy
Project Gotham Racing 2
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
R-Type Final
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Battlefield 2
Starcraft
Virtua Fighter 5
Secret of Mana
Warioware, Inc: Minigame Mania
Gran Turismo 4
Rome: Total War
Bomberman
Super Monkey Ball
Company of Heroes
Quake III
Far Cry
Puyo Pop Fever
Animal Crossing
Shenmue
Pokemon: Ruby/Sapphire
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Chrono Trigger
Counter-Strike
Guitar Hero
Soul Caliber
Tempest 2000
Star Fox 64
Pac-Man Vs
Manhunt
Jet Set Radio Future
Lumines
System Shock 2
Darwinia
F-Zero GX
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
GTR - FIA GT Racing Game 2
Pilotwings 64
Ridge Racer 2
Ninja Gaiden Black
Killer7
Puzzle Bobble
Thief: The Dark Project
Burnout 2: Point of Impact
Ikaruga
Football Manager 2007
Doom 2: Hell on Earth
The Secret of Monkey Island
Virtua Tennis 3
Robotron 2084
Lemmings
Nights Into Dreams
Phantasy Star Online
Silent Hill 2
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Mr Driller
Sega Rally Championship
Tomb Raider
Devil May Cry
Super Smash Bros Melee
Resident Evil
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Gitaroo Man
God of War
Wipeout
Tekken 3
Sensible Soccer
Psychonauts
Crackdown

Dagless
Jul 10, 2007, 08:38 AM
Christ. XII was real and Smash Bros at 91. OK list broke.

gco212
Jul 10, 2007, 08:48 AM
No Sonic? Low SSBM? Only Metal Gear Solid 2, when 1 and 3 were both far superior. FFXII in the top 10? Awful list (though they did get #1 right, at least).

Dagless
Jul 10, 2007, 09:18 AM
Bugger! You're right! Your post was the first to say Sonic. :o

No Doom 1. R-Type Final and no 1-3?!?! Resident Evil 1 so low down? No Dawn of Sorrow?

Shotgun OS
Jul 10, 2007, 09:38 AM
The list is pretty bad. :confused:

I really laughed at Manhunt, #61. Maybe Manhunt 2 will actually get released sometime....:rolleyes:

BoyBach
Jul 10, 2007, 10:28 AM

The difference with this new collection is that its 100 games have been compiled with the co-operation of Edge readers. (Indeed, you can read many reader comments throughout.)

When we invited you to send in your votes for the world's best videogames, you responded in your thousands. These responses formed a master list, which was whittled down to a short list, which in turn went through further processes of voting involving industry types and Edge writers from further afield. Confused yet? Hey, you didn't have to compile the thing.

The key consideration in voting was that the games must stand up to scrutiny today, not only when played with the faithful accompaniment of Nostalgia Spex™. Furthermore, we didn't want to fill the list with multiple iterations of the same series if they were of the same template. So. for example, you'll find only one of Mario's 2D platform adventures within these pages. (No, Yoshi's Island isn't a Mario game. Not really.)

We're confident that, at the end of the process, we have arrived at a hefty group of games that really do represent the 100 best. At the same time, of course, we're certain that you'll have plenty of feedback, so be sure to send it to the usual Edge address.

Now, enjoy the collection...

Maybe, this will help clear up some of the selections? (Or make the decisions more baffling?)

I am also surprised at the omission of a 2D Sonic game.

iBunny
Feb 16, 2008, 09:14 AM
WTF. I just came across this list. Final Fantasy VII should not be as low as 18. It deffinatly should be in the Top 5.

/Thread.

mkrishnan
Feb 16, 2008, 09:24 AM
I'm surprised how quickly my experience with games on the list drops off... I played six of the top ten, four of the next ten, and then after that, hardly any.

Good list, generally, though. I'm glad Shenmue made the list (although I only played it very briefly), and of course Nights... I'm mildly surprised that Sonic was nowhere, but moreso that, from that era, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Radiant Silvergun are absent. The latter particularly would have no trouble whatsoever standing up today....

GFLPraxis
Feb 16, 2008, 01:50 PM

The Top Ten:

Resident Evil 4
Super Mario 64
Half Life 2
Super Mario World
Final Fantasy XII
Tetris
Super Metroid

Edge Magazine Link (http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2007/07/the_100_best_vi.php)

BBC News Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6261546.stm)

Let the debate begin.

As odd as it sounds, I'd put Super Smash Bros Melee somewhere in the top ten. Granted there was no story, but it is quite possibly the most technical and skill-based game I have ever played. The game engine and balancing is near perfect (if you don't count the ice climbers). I've just recently entered the competitive scene and will be entering into a tournament on the 23rd...practicing with the skilled players teaches one a lot.

Plus, there is a TON to do. To unlock everything you have to beat the game on Classic and Adventure and All-Star mode with 25 different characters, beat the Target Test with all 25 characters, beat 51 event matches, and the four multi-man-melee games. Plus Home Run contest. Even then you might not have all of the trophies. And some characters (like Mewtwo) require you to play in multiplayer- a lot.

Sadly, I have done most of this. :D

I haven't played Link to the Past, but I'd probably put SSBM somewhere just above Halo, But that's just me.

Obviously, nothing beats Mario World or Ocarina of Time. Sad to see Mario 3 isn't in there. And no Portal?

Mario Kart and Metroid Prime's position's should be switched, but i'm at least glad to see Prime got SOME recognition. As far as a single-player experience, Metroid Prime was my favorite game of the last console cycle. It was gold. Although I obviously spent much more time in multiplayer with Smash Bros Melee :D Wind Waker was my next favorite. I'd have to toss Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 and Shadow of the Colossus on the list too. Yet Kingdom Hearts and Wind Waker make no appearances on the list :( This makes me sad.

Yoshi's Island in number 11 is win and proves they have at least some taste. But Pac-Man vs in there but no Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Fail. Total Fail.

GFLPraxis
Feb 16, 2008, 01:58 PM
The list is pretty bad. :confused:

I really laughed at Manhunt, #61. Maybe Manhunt 2 will actually get released sometime....:rolleyes:

Manhunt 2 was released. It sucked. Nobody noticed except the media. Get with the times :D

Chone
Feb 16, 2008, 03:36 PM
I haven't played Link to the Past, but I'd probably put SSBM somewhere just above Halo, But that's just me.

Obviously, nothing beats Mario World or Ocarina of Time. Sad to see Mario 3 isn't in there. And no Portal?

Mario Kart and Metroid Prime's position's should be switched, but i'm at least glad to see Prime got SOME recognition. As far as a single-player experience, Metroid Prime was my favorite game of the last console cycle. It was gold. Although I obviously spent much more time in multiplayer with Smash Bros Melee :D Wind Waker was my next favorite. I'd have to toss Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 and Shadow of the Colossus on the list too. Yet Kingdom Hearts and Wind Waker make no appearances on the list :( This makes me sad.

Yoshi's Island in number 11 is win and proves they have at least some taste. But Pac-Man vs in there but no Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Fail. Total Fail.

Wow, such a nintendo buff and you haven't play LttP? :D

I agree with most of that top 10 list except Final Fantasy XII (wtf there were much better RPGs on the SNES, let alone the SNES AND the PS1) and Halo (this game sucks so much, there are infinitely better shooters out there both multi and single player).

MacRumorUser
Feb 17, 2008, 04:04 AM
Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!!! :eek:

GFLPraxis
Feb 17, 2008, 11:43 AM
*checks date*

woah!

tk421
Feb 18, 2008, 04:21 PM
...I haven't played Link to the Past...

What?!? How surprising, coming from you! Link to the Past is easily one of my favorite games of all time!!

JackAxe
Feb 18, 2008, 11:16 PM
Where's System Shock, this game was 10 fold better than System Shock 2.

Their opinions CLEARLY suck and are most likely based on limited experience.

Resident Evil 4 Wii version is a great game, not the Cube ore PS2 versions, their controls suck. :)

<]=)

zelmo
Feb 19, 2008, 04:10 PM
I can't take any Top 100 list seriously if there is no Gex.....:p

Topher15
Feb 19, 2008, 05:12 PM
Manhunt 2 was released. It sucked. Nobody noticed except the media. Get with the times :D

It's banned in the UK.

bosxe
Feb 19, 2008, 05:32 PM
This is a weird list for sure.

No Bioshock? That's easily better than Crackdown (at 100),

bosxe
Feb 19, 2008, 05:33 PM
This is a weird list for sure.

No Bioshock? That's easily better than Crackdown (at 100), and Manhunt (at 67).

None of the Call of Duty games?
No Tony Hawk games?
NONE of the Sims games? (unless I missed them)

Regardless of what you may think of the games I listed, they are EASILY the most common games we sell at the game store I work at.

I am, however, happy with #1. WOO

Zwhaler
Feb 19, 2008, 09:17 PM

But! Halo above Halo2?

Of course, you can't have Halo 2 without Halo 1. Plus the story in H2 wasn't very good

BoyBach
Feb 20, 2008, 05:00 AM
Where's System Shock, this game was 10 fold better than System Shock 2.

Their opinions CLEARLY suck and are most likely based on limited experience.

Resident Evil 4 Wii version is a great game, not the Cube ore PS2 versions, their controls suck. :)

<]=)

I can assure you that EDGE has not got "limited experience" - the magazine has been publishing for almost fifteen years! ;)

As for their opinions sucking, isn't the whole point of such 'lists' to create debate and comment? It's perfect pub-talk fodder.

pcypert
Feb 20, 2008, 05:11 AM
Wasn't this list prior to Bioshock? I mean this is an old arse thread. Not completely sure there, but I think some games mentioned came out after this thread...I remember Crackdown just having been released and surpising a bunch of folks so can understand it being on the radar. Still love the co-op play of that. Took all the best parts of GTA for me and just made a game of that...all stunts and jumping around :D

Paul

BoyBach
Feb 20, 2008, 05:26 AM
Wasn't this list prior to Bioshock? I mean this is an old arse thread. Not completely sure there, but I think some games mentioned came out after this thread...I remember Crackdown just having been released and surpising a bunch of folks so can understand it being on the radar. Still love the co-op play of that. Took all the best parts of GTA for me and just made a game of that...all stunts and jumping around :D

Paul

Yep. The '100 Best' magazine was published about three months before Bioshock was released.

2nyRiggz
Feb 20, 2008, 03:17 PM
Halo number 7....yeahhh. why is it that Silent Hill 2 is so far down....it has one of the best story in gaming history IMO.

Oh well whatever right.

Bless