PDA

View Full Version : G4 vs. G5

gusanitoverde
Jul 16, 2003, 01:40 PM
G4 vs. G5

2 months ago, I had the nightmare of deciding if I would switch from PC to Mac. So after a lot of thought, I bought a Power Mac G4, Dual 1.42 with a 20 inch screen. But a month after, now Apple is announcing the G5 for couple of hundred dollars more. I guess I am stuck with the G4, I cannot return it. What do you all think? Would a G4 still be a good machine after the appearance of G5? What do you recommend?

Thanks

strider42
Jul 16, 2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by gusanitoverde
G4 vs. G5

2 months ago, I had the nightmare of deciding if I would switch from PC to Mac. So after a lot of thought, I bought a Power Mac G4, Dual 1.42 with a 20 inch screen. But a month after, now Apple is announcing the G5 for couple of hundred dollars more. I guess I am stuck with the G4, I cannot return it. What do you all think? Would a G4 still be a good machine after the appearance of G5? What do you recommend?

Thanks

Its a fine machine. Don't get techno envy, or it will plague you teh rest of your life, everytime you buy anything electronic.

It does pay to know when the major mac events happen and to pay attention to sites like macrumors to get an idea of when really major revisions are coming up though.

DakotaGuy
Jul 16, 2003, 01:57 PM
Well I guess it depends on what you need. I am still happy with my G3 powered computers for what I do. If the 1.42 does what you need it to do and it's fast, then you might as well get some use out of it. If you are not happy with the performance then sell it and get a G5.

Lanbrown
Jul 16, 2003, 02:05 PM
It's not like once the first G5 is received that you machine magically slows down or stops working. You have been doing what you need on the G4 for the two months and it has done what you wanted. Why would the release of the G5 affect that?

bousozoku
Jul 16, 2003, 02:11 PM
It's always fun to have the biggest but the bleeding edge can sometimes hurt. I wonder if there will be any issues with the G5 that haven't been foreseen and will bite early adopters.

You have a fine machine. Enjoy it.

daveL
Jul 16, 2003, 02:19 PM
If it matters that much, especially since you can't buy a new G4 DP 1.42 anymore, you could try selling it on eBay. Macs hold their value really well, compared to PCs.