PDA

View Full Version : Firewire Power adapter

millerrh
Jul 2, 2007, 05:28 PM
I've got a power adapter from an old iPod that uses the firewire cable. There's no reason this thing wouldn't work to charge the iPhone is there? The manual strictly states to use the USB power adapter, but that might just be for simplicity sakes since that is what it comes with.

mac jones
Jul 2, 2007, 05:54 PM
I would not do this. Firewire is higher voltage (9v vs 5v-USB)

jimbot
Jul 2, 2007, 05:56 PM
i've been using it:eek:

i just wish it would synch through firewire

millerrh
Jul 2, 2007, 08:40 PM
I just checked the two power supplies:

Firewire: Output 12V @ .67A
USB: Output 5V @ 1A

Definitely not the same. Oh well.

ejrizo
Jul 3, 2007, 01:12 PM
i have been using a firewire adapter to charge my 5.5g ipod when i travel... and have the regular cable on the computer.

nothing bad at all has happen... works just the same.... but not sure if i would try it with my iphone now that i know this....

i did charge the iphone last night with an extra usb cable for the ipod and that worked well... but i guess the usb cables are the same? just a lil bigger for the ipod

millerrh
Jul 12, 2007, 01:40 PM
I just spoke with a Genius at the Apple store about this and she said that it is perfectly safe to use it. The fact that the power brick outputs a higher voltage only means it CAN output that, but the power supply of the iPhone will only draw what it needs.

So all those with firewire chargers are in luck!

Oogami
Jul 23, 2007, 07:35 PM
Funny, I tried it and my iPhone actually got kind of warm and it wasn't charging. :/

So I'm just gonna stick with USB for now.

jerrylee
Jul 23, 2007, 10:15 PM
I got the same result last time when I use firewire to charge it.
Warm and not charing at all~:confused:

millerrh
Jul 23, 2007, 10:31 PM
maybe the geniuses aren't such geniuses after all!

let me ask you guys this...when you tried it and it did nothing, did the lightning bolt show up in the icon like it was charging, but it just did nothing? cause i'm trying it right now and it "looks" like it is charging to me.

selch
Jul 25, 2007, 09:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

I've been using my firewire cable with no issues.