PDA

View Full Version : I might switch

pcdoctor
Jul 16, 2003, 03:47 PM
I have been a pc user since high school.
(That's over 20 years ago! ).
I'm also a female pc repair tech who fixes pcs.
I also have been building my own pcs for years.
I just happened to be at a school this morning.
I noticed two empty iMac 17" widescreen boxes.
I opened them to see if there were any manuals.
I asked someone where these machines were.
I went to the room and played around with one of the 17" widescreen iMacs.
I must admit I'm impressed.
I didn't think the speakers would sound so loud and awesome!
So, on my lunch break I went my Micro Center and checked out the mac dept.
I might finally break down and get a 1gz G4 during Georgia's tax free day for computers at the end of July or near the 1st of August.
I also noticed that JandR has the same system for $1144.
As much as I love building my own pcs, I really am envious about the OSX gui, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, etc.
I would really love to buy a 1gz G4 with Panther installed.
This way I won't have to pay $129 or so to upgrade.
What I would really love to do is install an eMac in a pc case but I don't know if that would be worth it.
If I do get the 1gz G4, I'll purchase a Pioneer DVD-R and install it.

Question: (If I purchase the 1gz G4 without a Pioneer DVD-R and I install the drive myself, will iDVD automatically work?
Basically, will I have to purchase iLife if I install the Pioneer DVD-R at a later date so I can get iDVD?

Also $1144 is the right price for me.
I see myself as a powermac user since I can build my own pcs.
I'm not saying anything is wrong with the eMac or iMac.

dialectro
Jul 16, 2003, 04:22 PM
There have been problems with DVD drive support if not installed with the system, though others would be better able to answer that question.

Yes, you will need to purchase iLife as iDVD will not be on the computer without the DVD drive installed at purchase

Horrortaxi
Jul 16, 2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by dialectro Yes, you will need to purchase iLife as iDVD will not be on the computer without the DVD drive installed at purchase

My iBook (CD ROM only) had both versions of iLife with it.

pcdoctor
Aug 1, 2003, 02:24 AM
Well, after reading about all the problems with iDVD and iMovie on the Apple forums, I purchased a Pioneer DVDR A05 for my Athlon 950 and painted the case and keyboard yellow.

tazo
Aug 1, 2003, 02:57 AM
so you just bought a dvd burner?

pcdoctor
Aug 1, 2003, 05:59 AM
Yes, I got the Pioneer A05 from www.harmonycomputers.com for $169 plus shipping.
Seems like they just went up on the price or I bought it on sale.
I tried to get the Cendyne A05 from Office Max last week for $149 .but they only had the DVD+R in stock and not the DVD-R.
Office Max had both Cendyne models on sale.
The burner comes bundled with Sonic MyDVD and some other software.

tazo
Aug 1, 2003, 11:34 PM
wait i thought you were going to switch to the mac platform? what happened to that?

nagromme
Aug 2, 2003, 06:30 AM
If you can, wait for Panther--it's looking amazing--and keep an eye on the PowerBooks too! The 12" PowerBook keeps dropping in price, and is expected to get a boost in speed/features soon. (I love portability.

If you want to try that DVD on a Mac in future, with iDVD, Apple's support site has a list somewhere of supported drives. New ones get added every so often.